Yo Yo - Song and Lyrics Discussion

mellody

16 hours ago, mellody said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psi_(Greek) ... could be any of that, or nothing, or really just a flower. :teehee:

So, that's interesting... he said Yoyo is about resisting heartbreak. Btw love how he leaned towards the camera then and said, that's what most pop songs are about, like he was telling us a secret  - idk why that particular bit of the live felt so special to me, I guess it was the emotion in his voice... well, also where he thanked the people who came to his shows in the US and Canada, I think I just missed this while he's not posting much except for promo stuff, to see how he's feeling about certain things. That makes me feel more connected to him. Anyway, I'm digressing... I'm trying to make sense of how other people toying with your emotions can be resisting to heartbreak. Normally you'd say, don't play with my emotions, but he's saying do play with them? Ok it looks like Mika to turn things around to the opposite of what others would say, lol! I guess it might become clearer when we get the lyrics. I hope he'll release the lyric video along with the song next Friday, so we won't have to guess that much. :naughty:

Well, if you let someone toy with you, you will be open to heartbreak… but you will also be open to the potential of something equally as (or even more) beautiful. So I would say it’s about taking your walls down and go along with the flow. 

• Like 4

• dcdeb featured this topic
3 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Well, if you let someone toy with you, you will be open to heartbreak… but you will also be open to the potential of something equally as (or even more) beautiful. So I would say it’s about taking your walls down and go along with the flow. 

Ah, that's an interesting point of view, I hadn't seen it that way but thought more of something like Toy Boy, "if you come a little close, I'm gonna pull your hair". But maybe you're right... tho it could also be the opposite, pushing others away before they can hurt you, to avoid heartbreak. Like in Modern Times, "why do you leave my bed before love begins" (don't remember the exact words) - maybe it is, or was, his reaction to that?

I was wondering if maybe the album tells his story, and this is about 16yo Mika - as he said on the live, that he wanted it to feel like you're 16 again? And the next songs would be the path from there to now? :dunno_grin:

• Like 4

• mellody changed the title to New Single 13 May 2022: Yo Yo
5 minutes ago, Marit R. Nielsen said:

Ohhhh! Love this! 🥰 Wow! Hope there will be a musicvideo to this... 🎬 Who is treating you like Yo Yo, MIKA? 

He said on the insta live there will be a music video for it. 😍

• Like 5

I have 4 hours and 19 minutes  in Houston to hear Yo-Yo since I am on central time.  I cannot wait. I want to know what y’all think about it.😘❤️

Edited by MaureenG
  • Like 3

I absolutely love this song! Truly meant for dancing, running, biking... anything that requires that steady beat beat beat...

So we finally have the lyric video. Weirdly, the video Karin posted above is not it. Here it is:

Just a few fine-tuning changes to the lyrics we already had -- the nuances actually make a lot of difference.

Take out all my sorrow
Put that on the beat

Take out all my sorrow

Put it on repeat

I know by tomorrow
You'll come back to me
If you're not back tomorrow

What will be will be

Be will be

On the beat

On repeat
On the beat
On repeat

On the beat
On repeat

On the beat

On the beat

Take me high high high

Take me low low low

Pull me in in in

Let me go go go 

Say good bye bye bye

Say hello lo lo

Treat my heart heart heart

Like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo (x8)

I'm not goin' nowhere

I'm where I'm meant to be

So I'm not going nowhere

You run back to me

I’ll be here til tomorrow 

Then you’re gonna see

Your turn to do the dancing 

Now you can dance for me 

On the beat

On repeat
On the beat
On repeat

On the beat
On repeat

On the beat

On the beat

Take me high high high

Take me low low low

Pull me in in in

Let me go go go 

Say good bye bye bye

Say hello lo lo

Like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo yo (x8)

Da-da-da, da-da-da da-da da-da-da

On repeat
On the beat
On repeat

On the beat
On repeat

On the beat

On the beat

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

I absolutely love this song! Truly meant for dancing, running, biking... anything that requires that steady beat beat beat...

So we finally have the lyric video. Weirdly, the video Karin posted above is not it. Here it is:

Just a few fine-tuning changes to the lyrics we already had -- the nuances actually make a lot of difference.

Take out all my sorrow
Put that on the beat

Take out all my sorrow

Put it on repeat

I know by tomorrow
You'll come back to me
If you're not back tomorrow

What will be will be

We will be

On the beat

On repeat
On the beat
On repeat

On the beat
On repeat

On the beat

On the beat

Take me high high high

Take me low low low

Pull me in in in

Let me go go go 

Say good bye bye bye

Say hello lo lo

Like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo (x8)

I'm not goin' nowhere

So I'm not going nowhere

You run back to me

Then you’re gonna see

Now you can dance for me 

On the beat

On repeat
On the beat
On repeat

On the beat
On repeat

On the beat

On the beat

Take me high high high

Take me low low low

Pull me in in in

Let me go go go 

Say good bye bye bye

Say hello lo lo

Like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo yo (x8)

Da-da-da, da-da-da da-da da-da-da

On repeat
On the beat
On repeat

On the beat
On repeat

On the beat

On the beat

He made it easy for us, putting up a lyric video :lol3::thumb_yello:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, dcdeb said:

So we finally have the lyric video. Weirdly, the video Karin posted above is not it.

I have checked at midnight on YouTube - it was only this version without lyrics. Now we can watch the lyrics version only.

So it looks like they changed it or hidden the first version (Link posted by Karin is working).

It was hard for me to fall asleep with this song in my head. And for more Mika on television for 3 hours! What a day :thumb_yello: :clap:

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, BeccaStardust said:

I really like this song I don't normally listen to dance music but I'm enjoying it 

My only issue is that I can't imagine it live stream but I'm sure Mika will prove me wrong Saturday

I was wondering about this too, since he will do a medley of his songs AND Yo Yo as a new single.

We saw the tattoo shirt and maybe he will also wear the woven crown for the medley (I assume). I can imagine that he will do the new single first, suited up, maybe with dancers and a DJ table. Then the stage will transform, dancers and DJ go away and he will shine the way we have seen him during the Rite of Spring tour. Maybe the cape will make an appearance? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dcdeb said:

I'm not goin' nowhere

So I'm not going nowhere

You run back to me

Then you’re gonna see

Now you can dance for me 

Ah, now it makes sense why he says it's about resisting heartbreak. Not being dependent on someone else's love but being in your place and staying there. So I guess it's more like "you can treat me like you want, I'll stay strong" than "please treat me like a yoyo". :thumb_yello:

5 hours ago, dcdeb said:

What will be will be

We will be

On the beat

From the video it looks like it's just repeated "be will be", not "we will be"?

A lot of the lyrics sound very similar to each other and actually that's pretty smart because that way no one will notice if he messes them up, it just sounds the same. :roftl: Like "on the beat / on repeat", can't even make out the difference when I know it. :lol3:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, mellody said:

Ah, now it makes sense why he says it's about resisting heartbreak. Not being dependent on someone else's love but being in your place and staying there. So I guess it's more like "you can treat me like you want, I'll stay strong" than "please treat me like a yoyo". :thumb_yello:

This makes more sense now reading the actual lyrics (thanks Mika! :biggrin2:

The song has been playing in a loop since this morning 🎉 I love it

• Like 3

Listened to this song three times this morning already!  Needless to say, I love it and it's currently stuck in my head. :cheer:

To me, this is one of the most mainstream-sounding songs Mika has released, but of course it still has that special Mika touch.  I love the lyric "take out all my sorrow, put it on the beat".  As someone who has used music to cope with difficult times over the past couple of years, I deeply relate to this.  The song also has a summery sound and a very nightclub-friendly vibe.

Can't wait to see the music video! :original:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mellody said:

Haha! I also thought he was begging to be treated like a yoyo, and I was surprised - why would he like to be treated like that? :lmfao:

The song is cute. I love that he's still playing with high notes a bit - and it seems that his voice is the highest when he sings "low, low, low", this might be intentional or maybe I didn't pay close attention. Anyway, I need to listen to it a couple more times! 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Nadiaa said:

seems that his voice is the highest when he sings "low, low, low",

I noticed that too, I think it is intentional!

Guess I got it wrong about this song having another voice in it 😅

I'm glad it's just Mika though, I absolutely love it! Got up super early to download it straight away, and kept it on repeat for quite a while too! 😁

(neighbours are gonna hate me :teehee:)

Really makes me want to dance too, I miss proper club dancing from my Uni days... This reminds me of those times!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mellody said:

From the video it looks like it's just repeated "be will be", not "we will be"?

A lot of the lyrics sound very similar to each other and actually that's pretty smart because that way no one will notice if he messes them up, it just sounds the same. :roftl: Like "on the beat / on repeat", can't even make out the difference when I know it. :lol3:

I also thought maybe it's like, "you can treat me any way you like, I'll still be OK. You'll eventually come running back to me, and then it will be YOUR and I'll treat YOU like a yo-yo." That little preposition -- you can dance FOR me, not WITH me -- makes such a big difference in the meaning to me.

Yes, I guess it is "be will be" -- I originally heard "we will be" but listening again I do hear BE.

And you know before the lyric video came out, I was listening over and over and thought I heard "repeat" now and then, but couldn't be sure. Glad the lyric video confirmed that.

• Like 4