Yo Yo - Song and Lyrics Discussion

mellody

On 5/13/2022 at 3:17 PM, dcdeb said:

I also thought maybe it's like, "you can treat me any way you like, I'll still be OK. You'll eventually come running back to me, and then it will be YOUR and I'll treat YOU like a yo-yo." That little preposition -- you can dance FOR me, not WITH me -- makes such a big difference in the meaning to me.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:52 PM, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

When I heard the song for the first time I had this: What is going on? It doesn't sound like what I've heard before from little pieces posted here and there. You know, my first impression was: His voice sounds sort of sad. Like he was a bit behind the rhythm. 

And then I understood - this is Mika's pattern!!!! 

Happy music with a sad lyrics. The old Mika is still there :lol:

Doesn't sound like Platform Balerinas which has this very positive vibe.

And the meaning for me?

I will not chase you for love. I will stay here because sooner or later you will come back to me. 

And if not that's ok.

I will dance here concentrated on the beat to keep my heart steady. 

So all in all - even if my heart beats like crazy I will stay calm because what will be will be.

Of course it's just a discussion between heart and brain :lol: Who is the winner?

I don't actually find it happy sounding, the music has a sad vibe to it, because it's in minor. Mika doesn't have that many songs in minor, at least can't think of many now. But there are also some major chords in it, and the lyrics speak of resistance (at least in the verses), and you have that beat to dance to. So I guess that's why he says it's for dancing with tears in your eyes, because it's like Bronski Beat, with kind of a sad sound but a driving rhythm and lyrics that are somewhat unsettling but also empowering.

I'm still not sure how to interpret the lyrics... but seems I'm not the only one, the blogger review that Mika RTed today also says it's up to everyone's interpretation. :teehee: Seems they also interpret it as "do with me whatever you want", as I had at first before I took a closer look at the verses. The verses somehow don't fit to the pre-chorus (take me high...) and chorus (treat me like a yoyo), lyric-wise. The first few lines are clear, he puts his sorrow in a song, that's 100% Mika. Then, he hopes the other person will come back to him, but if they don't, he can still listen to the song on repeat to make himself feel better. So far so good, but then the lyrics do sound like he wants to be treated in all those different ways. It's TAKE me high and TAKE me low ... only the "let me go" could be interpreted as "give me the freedom to go" instead of "push me away". Say goodbye, say hello,  treat (actively!) my heart like a yoyo. It would make sense to interpret the song as "no matter how you treat me", but that's not really what he sings, is it? Except if you put a "you could" before each line and he just left that away completely because it doesn't sound good :teehee:

Then the 2nd verse, maybe that's the opposite side of the yoyo... in the first verse, Mika deals with his own heartbreak and puts it in a song, in the 2nd verse he's the one who is strong and it's the other person's turn to convince him to take them back. It actually reminds me of a line in an Ed Sheeran song, "push and pull like magnets do". If he likes living in extremes, as he says, it's not surprising if he also wants his love to be like this. Never mediocre, but swinging between extremes. Like a yoyo. So the question, why would anyone want to be treated like that, well, Mika just isn't anyone, he's Mika. :naughty: 

It makes sense if you're looking for a constant crush, falling in love over and over again (maybe with the same person), instead of letting everyday life change this strong emotion to something more quiet that isn't constant stress like a fresh love, but just a feeling of being at home with that other person ... and maybe that would seem too mediocre for Mika? Or it could be a sort of, "I push you away before you can hurt me". But the yoyo also implies that he'll always come back, and so will the other person.

Then, I also wonder about what he wrote in his IG post. 

I wanted to write a song that could make you cry and dance at the same time. A song to make the world, in all its harshness, feel better. Something that will always be there to comfort you. I wrote this for you, as you listen in your room, or in a club: it doesn’t matter it’s just about you. M x

I've seen some comments, not sure if it was here or on socials, saying that they don't understand at all how the song could be comforting, it's rather the opposite... and I get that point, it's this being treated in all sorts of different ways that doesn't really feel comforting. Exciting, maybe, but not comforting. Most of us don't find it comforting to be treated like that or treat others like that. So the only explanation I have for that is what I just said about the yoyo always coming back. It's like he said at one of the US gigs, that love is the one thing that will always come back, like a weed. Or maybe it means music is always there to comfort you, no matter how others treat you?

And while it's easy to think the song is about Andy (they do spend a lot of time away from each other) Mika also said that his love songs are never about the person he's with. "I wrote this for you." - so maybe it's to comfort us that he'll always come back, even if he has a pause between 2 albums and tours, does different things, doesn't show up on social media for weeks... :teehee: Or that even if he's away, his songs are there for us? In fact, "I'll be here til tomorrow" would fit to him being on tour, in a different city every day, and at his gigs we all dance for him on the beat. :naughty: Is it about his 2 different sides, the songwriter and the performer?

I can't really come to a conclusion, but wanted to leave all those thoughts here... it also took us a while to interpret Tiny Love, he never makes it too easy for us, lol! :roftl:

On 5/14/2022 at 2:39 PM, krysady said:

It's the record label that always makes the choice, it's a rule. Only if you're an independent artist, you can decide for yourself. 

Choosing the lead single is a key decision because it builds up anticipation for the upcoming album, usually it's a powerful song written for the core listeners ( think at his first two albums). But his record label gave up on him long time ago, it's not new. I wish he would have a say on this, but I have my doubts.

The record label probably has the last say in picking the lead single, but it depends on the type of contract you have with them. If you want them to invest money in you, of course they want to have a say in what you do. But a few years ago Mika said that he pays to record and produce his music, to have more artistic freedom. He also said last year that he doesn't want to hide behind a label or management. So I think the songs are exactly how he wants them, and THEN from these songs he might let the label pick the lead single. And I think for his earlier albums it was different. Like, take Celebrate. It was China Boy, and probably the label told him to change it into the lead single, add Pharrell Williams, make it a party song. So the result wasn't really Mika anymore, imo. I can still see the intention of the song in the lyrics, but it always felt to me like this song was molded into a form to fit the mainstream. With Yoyo, and also with Ice Cream on his last album, I think he did what he wanted, maybe worked together with a producer who knows how to produce a current hit, but not letting them take care of the song and turn it into something he doesn't want, but I'm sure Mika is involved in the songwriting and production process from A to Z.

Btw, I could also imagine it was the record label / management who told (or at least suggested to) him the last time that he should do this boyband choreography for Ice Cream and have the fake musicians and sexy girls on stage with him. I'm glad he dropped that for the tour and I think he has become a lot more confident to do what he thinks is right, and maybe take advice from the label, but only if it feels ok for him. Authenticity is one of the most important things in today's music business, so they'd better let him be who he is instead of trying to mold him into a form. And he is a lot of things. Classical music, pop music, electronic music, brown, blue, violet sky.... :roftl:

On 5/15/2022 at 10:25 AM, Mikasister said:

It's not the kind of song I like too much. I don't see it as special like others Mika has done. It's a song that does not excite me.But why can't I stop singing the chorus? I have it in my head all day. It is really a catchy song, ideal for dancing at the disco or wathever you want. if Mika made it for that purpose he has really achieved it. :yes:

Take me high, high, high, take me low, low low...  See... in my head while writing this :doh:

Agree... I don't know if it's less special than his other songs, it's just that I'm not too much into electronic and super repetitive music in general. I also don't like Cry or Make You Happy that much. Or Overrated. But I can totally imagine Yoyo at a club, with a DJ putting one of those pumping synth sounds behind it that get higher and higher at certain points and get you really excited for what comes next... and very much agree with you that it's just so catchy. When it's over you want to hear it again. On repeat. And that is a brilliant thing! And also, like for Cry or Make You Happy, I find the lyrics interesting. On his playlist Mika has some songs of the 90s that just repeat one sentence all throughout the song, and I'm really glad that Mika doesn't do that with his music, but that he still has something to say. :teehee:

• Like 7

In The Voice performance it sounds like he sings "I'm not going nowhere til you run back to me", which would change the meaning again. :teehee: And I also understand "you can dance with me" there. Arrgh Mika, stop confusing us, lol! :roftl:

• Haha 1

I'm so in love with this song :wub2: And Mika singing it is delightful :swoon:

I think the thing that goes straight to my heart each time is the sheer beauty of Mika's voice :mikalove:because the song is simple and the repetitions are as conforting as a lulluby so I can concentrate on the rythm and on his voice and I can't get enough :fangurl:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

He said to Nikos that he was scared up high on the platform.

Lol, then why does he make it go up that high?! :roftl: Idk why I don't feel scared about that, I'm scared of heights but somehow this platform just makes me think, Mika why you're so far away from your audience, stay down here with us please? :lmfao: If he doesn't even find it comfortable, I don't get the point of it. :dunno_grin: Flying piano was cool, but Mika high up on a pedestral isn't how I want to see him.

Him in the middle of the fireworks looked pretty cool tho! But he doesn't need all this Bang Badaboom - for Eurovision it was perfect, but now I'm ready to get back to seeing him just being himself and doing gigs, reconnecting with his fans. That's what I missed the last 2 years, not fireworks and cool gadgets.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

He’s provoking, he just didn’t think he would provoke fear…within himself :lol3:

He is afraid of heights but he loves adrenalin and pushing himself to the limits. I must say I love how he sings YoYo :swoon:even though I wish he had some sort of a safety net under him just in case....

• Like 1

My husband found out about YoYo by friends who messaged him that I had written a song for him with Mika :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  

He asked me to explain because he didn't understand :floor: :floor: :floor:

I told him Mika was jealous of him and that he made a song about it :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

I will tell that to Mika next time I see him :naughty:

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, mellody said:

Lol, then why does he make it go up that high?!

Ha ha ha! He talked about it in Domenica In. Now he finds that it was not a good idea. AT ALL!!!!

Seems that the platform goes up to 7-8 meters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

And during Eurovision performance he realized that it's really high. And he had to sing surrounded by dancers.

And if he falls now it would be a very bad end. :lol3:

• Haha 1

A new Tiktok about Yoyo, where he says that no matter how you feel, this song will make you feel better: 

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTdWGTCjd/?k=1

(sorry, embedding Tiktok videos doesn't work from my phone)

I can't really relate to what he says, it's not one of those songs that immediately gives me a great feeling, like Love Today, Grace Kelly or Tiny Love, or many others of his songs. It's catchy and fun, but it doesn't really touch my heart, if that makes sense? Maybe that'll change if I hear it live. Technically I have at Eurovision, but it was only a small bit of it as part of a huge show, I wasn't allowed to stand up and dance, and half of the song he was hidden behind the giant heart - so that doesn't really count. :dunno_grin:

Anyway if it makes Mika feel better and more free, that's definitely a good thing - and I also read on the Tiktok comments that many people can relate, I'm happy for him that Yoyo attracts some new fans! :fangurl:

• Like 3

On 5/22/2022 at 12:40 AM, mellody said:

In The Voice performance it sounds like he sings "I'm not going nowhere til you run back to me", which would change the meaning again. :teehee: And I also understand "you can dance with me" there. Arrgh Mika, stop confusing us, lol! :roftl:

In the RFM performance I think he sings "So I'm not going nowhere til you come back to me" and "Your time to do the dancing, now you can dance with me". - he even treats the lyrics like a Yoyo. :lmfao:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, BeccaStardust said:

Music Video is out 

I really liked it, it's strange but in a good way 

My exact sentiment! I will have to look at it multiple times. So far I feel the circle is his heart and everything seems to revolve around it (bones), but also coming and going (red blood cells, oxygen, a pulse) and his cape is the emotion flowing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

My exact sentiment! I will have to look at it multiple times. So far I feel the circle is his heart and everything seems to revolve around it (bones), but also coming and going (red blood cells, oxygen, a pulse) and his cape is the emotion flowing. 

Yeah I don't have time this morning to try and analyse it but I like that idea 

• Like 2

Video Credits:

• Directed by Mika
  • Artistic Direction: Mika
  • Creative Director: Carolina Stamerra Grassi
  • Produced by Annalisa Leo for Mika Punch
  • Executive Producer: Annalisa Leo
  • Director of Photography: Ivan Pierri
  • Editor: Andreas Dermanis
  • Set Designer: Luigi Maresca
  • Production Manager: Annalisa Leo
  • 1st A D: Simone Rovellini
  • Costumes: Mika – Maison Valentino and Mira Mikati
  • Costumes: Dancers: Bruno Simeone, Rossorame
  • Choreographer: Laccio
  • Choreographer Assistant Olivia Lucchini
  • Make-Up Artist: Cristiana Casto
  • Hair Styling: Geraldine Fougerat
  • Grading: Adriano Mestroni
  • Post Production: Band22

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

Video Credits:

• Directed by Mika
  • Artistic Direction: Mika
  • Creative Director: Carolina Stamerra Grassi
  • Produced by Annalisa Leo for Mika Punch
  • Executive Producer: Annalisa Leo
  • Director of Photography: Ivan Pierri
  • Editor: Andreas Dermanis
  • Set Designer: Luigi Maresca
  • Production Manager: Annalisa Leo
  • 1st A D: Simone Rovellini
  • Costumes: Mika – Maison Valentino and Mira Mikati
  • Costumes: Dancers: Bruno Simeone, Rossorame
  • Choreographer: Laccio
  • Choreographer Assistant Olivia Lucchini
  • Make-Up Artist: Cristiana Casto
  • Hair Styling: Geraldine Fougerat
  • Grading: Adriano Mestroni
  • Post Production: Band22

I'm speechless.

This video is so complex, so beautiful, touching all my senses.....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BeccaStardust said:

Yeah I don't have time this morning to try and analyse it but I like that idea 

same. I'm at work, got to watch the clip once but no time for a closer look.