Yo Yo - Song and Lyrics Discussion

mellody

Mika's new single Yo Yo is out on May 13!

FR_U_HzXMAEpWO-.jpeg

Mika's Instagram live, where he talks a bit about the song:

Fans already got a preview on Yo Yo at some of the North American gigs, where it was played after the show.

Here's a video from LA, by  @Sivan:

Lyrics, according to the official lyrics video:

Take out all my sorrow
Put that on the beat

Take out all my sorrow

Put it on repeat

I know by tomorrow
You'll come back to me
If you're not back tomorrow

What will be will be

Be will be

On the beat

On repeat
On the beat
On repeat

On the beat
On repeat

On the beat

On the beat

Take me high high high

Take me low low low

Pull me in in in

Let me go go go 

Say good bye bye bye

Say hello lo lo

Treat my heart heart heart

Like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo (x8)

I'm not goin' nowhere

I'm where I'm meant to be

So I'm not going nowhere

You run back to me

I’ll be here til tomorrow 

Then you’re gonna see

Your turn to do the dancing 

Now you can dance for me 

On the beat

On repeat
On the beat
On repeat

On the beat
On repeat

On the beat

On the beat

Take me high high high

Take me low low low

Pull me in in in

Let me go go go 

Say good bye bye bye

Say hello lo lo

Treat my heart heart heart

Like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo yo (x8)

Da-da-da, da-da-da da-da da-da-da

On repeat
On the beat
On repeat

On the beat
On repeat

On the beat

On the beat

• Like 9

I didn't like it on the first listen, it's just not the style of music I usually like. But it's growing on me. Definitely catchy. Wouldn't be the first time that Mika broadened my horizon. :teehee:

It reminds me somewhat of the song Mr Saxobeat, which was a huge hit in 2011. And I love what he's doing with the melody in the chorus, making it go up and down like a yoyo. :naughty:

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, mellody said:

Lyrics as far as I can hear them:

On the beat (…..)

Take me high high high

Take me low low low

Pull me in in in

Let me go go go 

Say good bye bye bye

Say hello lo lo

Sugar high high high 

Like a yo yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo (….)

…..?….going under

Where I’m meant to be

So I’m not going …?… ok(?)

When you run back to me

I’ll be here until tomorrow 

Then you’re gonna see

You can dance with me 

On the beat (…..)

Take me high high high

Take me low low low

Pull me in in in

Let me go go go 

Say good bye bye bye

Say hello lo lo

Sugar high high high 

Like a yo yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo (….)

Ta ta ta ta dum (….)

On the beat (…..)

Edited by holdingyourdrink
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

…..?….going under

Where I’m meant to be

When you run back to me

I think it might be “So I’m not going no where, and you run back to me”??

Edited by NancylovesM

Given this a good listen now and I like the sound of it! Once again it's very different from Mika's previous music, more like an 80's night club vibe. It will be interesting to hear the whole thing properly so I can understand the lyrics a bit better! 

3 hours ago, giraffeandy said:

Also it sounds rather like a collaboration with a DJ than his solo project? 

I thought this too after a couple of listens, I'm sure near the end with the last repetitive 'yo yo yo' it doesn't sound quite like Mika, could be someone else's voice on there maybe? 🤔

4 hours ago, mellody said:

It reminds me somewhat of the song Mr Saxobeat,

I totally get this! I used to play Mr.Saxobeat on repeat when it was first released 😅

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

Is this the new single @dcdeb was talking about? 

Yes, I think it's his first single.

Thanks Michelle for the lyrics!

4 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Sugar high high high

Here I understand "treat my heart heart heart" (like a yoyo), but I also can hear your version - it would be a very sloppy way to pronounce "heart", so yours is probably more accurate.

4 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

…..?….going under

Where I’m meant to be

When you run back to me

Dunno if it makes sense, but what I understand is:

I'm not going nowhere

where I'm meant to be

So I'm not going your way

If you are meant to me

Generally the topic of the song reminds me a bit of J'ai pas envie, just more from his point of view (at least in the chorus), that he wants to be treated like that as well.

And I really can't get Mr Saxobeat out of my head, lol! :roftl: probably because of this "on the beat on the beat on the beat". :teehee:

Anyway, the more I listen to this Yoyo song, the more I like it. It's kinda dreamy, but also has this vibe at some points where in a club you'd go crazy. Actually makes me want to go out clubbing again, I haven't been for years! :naughty:

Generally I'm more the type for "Magic Piano" than for "treat me like a yoyo", but I see it as an addition to Mika's repertoire, not as a cut that will take away the things we love, like the orchestra gigs or the melodic pop music. He always says he's eclectic, so I'm sure he'll just do both. And I can imagine that song to be a hit, at least in the clubs... and if that earns him money that he doesn't have to earn with casting shows and car commercials, I'd say it's a win in any case! :teehee:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I really like it, love the beat. I could instantly dance to it and get lost in the flow of the music.
(Would be so perfect on my running playlist!)

It also makes me happy he is exploring this side of music, broadening his horizon/genres. Although lots of auto tune (which is not uncommon), I am pleasantly surprised to hear that his voice fits actually very well! It’s perfect! 

I wonder how his 10-15 year younger self would have though of him making a record like this now, but I think it is part of growing and evolving.

At first I thought “well, this is not the most challenging song he has ever written lyrically wise” and to me on a first listen (although I like it!), it felt like one of those songs with lyrics only consisting of three words: “oh, “yeah” and “baby”. Those kind of songs seem to be storming the charts. 
But after carefully listening it’s actually brilliantly written. The words and melody following the motions of a yo-yo, so you really feel what he is trying to convey with being treated like a yo-yo in love. 

Edited by holdingyourdrink
  • Like 7

This could be on the radio and at parties but not on my playlist :unsure:

I like the lyrics tho. With an acoustic version or something i could give it a chance.

• Like 2

I'm obsessed with this new song, and I can't figure out how I missed it when it played after the gig in San Francisco. My only excuse is that I was on a high from the show, and was just not at all paying attention to whatever was playing in the venue afterward. Bad, bad fan! :doh:

@Sivan, thank you for being ready for this in LA! :bow:

Anyway, I love this song, and I NEED the studio recording. Need.  I can picture myself dancing to it in a club in some foreign land on a summer night. It's a more dancey, EDM-y, club-y vibe than we're generally used to from Mika, but with his falsetto dancing up and down that chorus it's unmistakably him.

It was kind of a tragedy that the plague times hit right after the last album was released, as I think it's his best to date. But between this song and Modern Times, I'm getting really freakin excited for this new Mika era. :cheer:

Edited by lollipop_monkey
  • Like 7

My attempt at the lyrics:

If you're not here tomorrow

We'll go (?)

Who will be

On the beat (x9)

Take me high high high

Take me low low low

Pull me in in in

Let me go go go 

Say good bye bye bye

Say hello lo lo

(?) the heart heart heart

Like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

I'm not goin' nowhere

I'm where I'm meant to be

So I'm not going nowhere

When you run back to me

I’ll be here til tomorrow 

Then you’re gonna see

You can dance with me 

On the beat (x9)

Take me high high high

Take me low low low

Pull me in in in

Let me go go go 

Say good bye bye bye

Say hello lo lo

(?) the heart heart heart

Like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Da-da-da, da-da-da da-da da-da-da

On the beat (x9)

---

I'm really not sure about the "..(?) the heart heart heart"  line. It would make sense if the word there was also "treat" as in, "treat the heart heart heart" – but it really does sound like a "sh" sound on whatever that word is. Hmm...

Edited by lollipop_monkey
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

At first I thought “well, this is not the most challenging song he has ever written lyrically wise” and to me on a first listen (although I like it!), it felt like one of those songs with lyrics only consisting of three words: “oh, “yeah” and “baby”. Those kind of songs seem to be storming the charts. 
But after carefully listening it’s actually brilliantly written. The words and melody following the motions of a yo-yo, so you really feel what he is trying to convey with being treated like a yo-yo in love. 

Yes, this was my first thought too. Just a bunch of repeated words and the beat.

But now - as I mentioned in my post above - I find it sexy - with double meaning like Ice Cream. So it makes sens with the rhythm and repeated words - sort of "making love with this base line" as once Mika was joking about the beginning of Ice Cream  :yes:

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I thought this too after a couple of listens, I'm sure near the end with the last repetitive 'yo yo yo' it doesn't sound quite like Mika, could be someone else's voice on there maybe? 🤔

Exactly, I also hear another voice towards the end. I still think it might be a collab. 

• Like 1

Had this song stuck in my head all day! 😆

At the end of Yoyo (I'm assuming the song will be called this), it reminds me of Becky Hill's 'My Heart Goes (la di da)', especially near the end of Mika's song, it sounds similar to the chorus of this:

And if the song really is called Yoyo then I've come across a perfect gift for Mika.... :fisch:

• Like 2