2022- Mika@Caribana Festival Switzerland -16 June- REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

krysady

3 hours ago, krysady said:

but you can see that he's really struggling when he does the off-mic thing,

Ok I didn't watch the Disney performance that closely, maybe he really shouldn't do it in outdoor venues. On the Revelation tour he often did it without effort, but I guess after 2 years without touring it's different. Maybe in the Italian theaters in September, they're small and should have good acoustics. :)

I'm fine with him not doing the off-mic bit, but I remember how happy and proud he looked on the Revelation tour when it went well and everyone cheered so loudly. I love seeing him happy, but I think now he (and the crowds) are just happy enough to have concerts again at all. :wub2:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, krysady said:

We know he is preparing his voice well before a concert, but you can see that he's really struggling when he does the off-mic thing, his face is transforming and turning red, his body is twisting and he's pressing on his tummy, it's painful just to watch it :aah:  He's forcing to make an extra effort to be heard by a wide-spread audience, in huge outdoor venues, just to prove something... I don't think it's not dangerous for his voice.

It's already enough challenge to perform live gig after gig, while dancing, jumping and running the entire stage, other artists can not even lip sync while dancing. And looking at his tour schedule, he really should try to manage his voice, I'm sure people are more happier to see him performing all his gigs with a mic, than having to cancel because of a few seconds of imprudence :dunno_grin:

I agree that going off-mic is completely unnecessary at outdoor venues.  And tbh I've noticed that his falsetto voice isn't as good as it used to be :sad:  (though if that means more of him singing in his lower register I don't mind :teehee: )

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, silver said:

And tbh I've noticed that his falsetto voice isn't as good as it used to be :sad:

And I think he's aware of that, lately he avoids to sing the high parts of some songs as he used to, probably this change it's a normal process for singers. After all, he's not young anymore :original:

I've been watching vids from far back while he did the off-mic thing and you could only hear him forcing to  scream loudly, totally different from his warm voice through the amplifier system. 

47 minutes ago, silver said:

though if that means more of him singing in his lower register I don't mind :teehee:

:yeah:

I think it's a bit sad that he uses so many backing tracks these days in many songs like Love Today, Relax or Grace Kelly in the high parts. His voice is amazing and i wouldn't mind him just singing it in a lower register if his voice has changed. To me, his falsetto is still amazing, as it can be heard especially in quieter parts of the set and his lower voice is brilliant but i like to hear Mika more purely without too many backing tracks and stuff even if it sounds a bit different than when he was very young...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Perdchen said:

I think it's a bit sad that he uses so many backing tracks these days in many songs like Love Today, Relax or Grace Kelly in the high parts.

To be honest, I always thought that that's Max's voice backing live :dunno_grin:

52 minutes ago, krysady said:

To be honest, I always thought that that's Max's voice backing live :dunno_grin:

Max sings live. But I think that there are additional recorded backing vocals during the show. It makes better  effect of the whole surrounding sounds.

We can hear it during the sound check.

Here Mika was absent so one of technicians checked Mika's mic.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Max sings live. But I think that there are additional recorded backing vocals during the show. It makes better  effect of the whole surrounding sounds.

We can hear it during the sound check.

Here Mika was absent so one of technicians checked Mika's mic.

15 minutes ago, Perdchen said:

I spent too many hours working that out xD it's a mixture of pre recorded vocals of the high parts he uses to support his singing and Max's voice:))

Exactly this, this is what I’ve heard during the soundcheck as well. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Perdchen said:

I spent too many hours working that out xD it's a mixture of pre recorded vocals of the high parts he uses to support his singing and Max's voice:))

14 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Thanks, now I see it :thumb_yello: I've never payed attention to that, it's clearly a mix indeed :original:

• Like 1

He's been using more backing tracks these days than he used to (especially in the more difficult parts such as the chorus in Rain, Relax, Grace Kelly and some parts of Love today for example). You can see it in Nina's video of Love today from Disney Pride. He is completely tangled in gold and doesn't sing but the backing track sings "for so long"... also with relax he always sings the high parts while the backing track is on and at the end of the song when the backing track is turned off he lets the audience sing all the "eaaaaaasy"s :)). However for me all the parts he sings without backing tracks also sound fantastic and I'm always happy to hear his voice more clearly, even if he sings parts in a lower register. However i understand when the backings make him feel more secure with the high parts and it's much better than playback :))

• Like 1

A few days after the show I think I am able to write at last my report :lol:

So this was my first festival and I was not sure what to expect at all.

At the beginning I was worrying about the weather - but about rain not about the heat that was waiting for us in Switzerland!

I had a beautiful hotel room with a view on the river. Only thing - there was not air condition. Just a electric fan.

So at night it was very hot and I couldn't sleep.

But who cares. We came to Geneva for MIKA!!!!!

The evening before the show I met (Andrea)  @Hero  and Karin @mellody and her son just to spend a little time in a creperie next to a boat port at the Leman lake (called as well Geniva lake).

As @Prisca was so nice to be my driver to the Caribana festival we met the next day at the train station and then with Andrea we took the road to the venue.

We arrived about 11am and a small group of Mika fans was already there. Just for explanation - there were ONLY Mika fans :lol:

As the gate was not closed we were able to enter the venue and watch the soundcheck. The whole band was present except Mika.

I was very happy to see that the venue was pretty small and even people standing in the back were able to see the stage.

image.thumb.png.62b98f3495a8f86ab1acc2b887927e09.png

I distributed paper fans I created for this concert. Well it should be for Yo-Yo fan action but I am not sure if it worked.

Mika was singing this song with closed eyes almost along the whole song.

But anyway the fans were very useful as the temperature was about 30 degrees in the shade.

After the soundcheck we were asked to leave the venue.

We went to eat something to the only restaurant in the area. It happened that they were serving food to the festival artists!

So when we arrived there I have seen Max, Wouter and somme other Mika team members. A part of the restaurant was dedicated to the artists but the waitress found the last table for us: me, Nina, Prisca and Andrea.

When I was in the toilets I met Louane. She was a bit lost so I showed her the entrance to the reserved part of the restaurant.

We order some food and spent some time talking about everything: for example about gluten free food. Nina is allergic to gluten and didn't want to eat anything suspected to have gluten.

Then we came back to the queue. The gate supposed to be opened at 5:30 pm so we still had time. As long as we were in the shade it was OK. But about 4:30 the security crew started to organize the entrance and we had to move to the sun.

Paper fans were are only help! They opened the gate at time (we were in Switzerland, right? :lol: ) We rushed to the barrier in front of the stage. And you know what? Only Mika fans arrived there! Everybody had the first row :lol3: 

After a while the first show of the big stage started. It was  a Swiss group Klischee. They played a very rhythmic sort of music - perfect for Zumba exercises. Actually the lead singer did a full hour Zumba lesson jumping like crazy on the stage. Don't forget the heat of 30 degrees at least!!!!! Everybody had a great time. We were dancing and laughing. At that time the place in front of the big stage was not full. We were able to go out to buy something to eat or drink and go back to our places at the first row.

After Klischee there was  one hour break. Other artist was performing on the small stage. During this time the preparation for Louane concert started as she had a pretty complicated scenography with stairs, platforms and lights.

She gave a very good show. The audience was singing with her. Most of them was teenage girls.

What was nice that security members took some small children and let them sit very close to the stage passing them over the barrier of "our first row" :rolleyes: 

Only one comment on Louane's show - she was not in so close contact with the public like Klischee - and of couse like Mika.

The venue became crowded and we have learned that the day was sold out!

image.thumb.png.442938ef4b60ca821fb88b19603f60a6.png

After Louane there was another switch of props on the stage and a part of the audience had to move back to make the place for the equipment. I was not in that part but I was worrying if Mika fans were able to take back their first row places. As I heard after the show not all had this luck. But they still were very close.

Then at 11:30 I have seen white suits of Mika's band at the backstage. Don't forget - we were in Switzerland :lol3: .

I have checked my first video in my mobile. The show started at 11:35 !!!!

image.png.19ae879d8806b8966f66bf150be7d344.png

The audience became crazy!!!!!!!!!! 

During the intro to Lollipop Mika entered the stage in his pale blue suit and set down on the piano.

We had the first funny moment - well funny for us not for Mika. The big spotlight attracted flies and mosquitos! They were flying around his head and poor Mika was doing everything not to panic. He ever made a speech to mosquitos. "We have a war tonight" But he gave up saying : OK. Eat me if you want. I have a concert here to do. So stop annoying me.

Here is my video with the beginning. As I was just in from of the bass speakers the sound on my videos has been ruined :huh: 

Next song was Origin Of Love. Mika was running from left ro right.

And when he was just in front of me and when we had an eye contact I waved to him with my hand. Just to say hello. And ... he made a beautiful bow to me. 

Generally he was very happy to be on stage in front of the public and he even mentioned it twice during the gig. 

Big Girl starts and .... Mika is jumping down from the stage!!!! He had a very "close contact" with some of his fans: stepped on someone's foot, sit down on someone's hand on the barrier, pushed someone in the crowd... well usual thing on Mika's walk in the crowd :lol3: 

I was surprised to hear the beginning of Boum Boum Boum!!!! I was hoping Mika would make his "hip dance". Well he didn't do it. But it was the first time I've seen this song live .

Before singing Yo-Yo he explained again the idea of the video. And that dancers were representing different parts of human body. But his nephew interpreted red cells as dancing Babybels. Karin distributed a package of Babybels between us but I couldn't fin mine in my bag during the song... Mika is very concentrated singing Yo-Yo. His eyes were closed or half closed. So he didn't se a Babybel landing on the stage (Karin) nor my paper fan with was pale blue like Mika's suit.

Next song was Relax and actually I was not supposed to film it but when I saw a beautiful light show I pressed the button on my mobile.

Another great moment was Underewater. At this song we can always expect something new. Each time it's different. Each time the interaction can become a beautiful show.

As we were in the French speaking part of Switzerland Mika sang another song in French. Elle Me Dit. And you know what? He didn't make any single mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The public did!!!!

I like the moment when he's running to the mic :lol3:

And we can hear the audience singing along. 

I will not mention Love Today. I didn't film it because I wanted to jump and dance with everybody :lol3:

And the final We Are Gloden.

At last I was able to see this beautiful cape in real. 

At the end Mika said again that he is so happy to see us again. To see our faces. To see our mouths.

And saying goodbye he mentioned once again his brother who was going to get married next day - actually it was this day because it was already 1am. After the show we were wondering in which country the wedding will take place. Now we know it was in Firenze. So Mika was flying to Italy just after the concert.

There was no "encore" so we left the venue after all these hours.

We were hoping to see Mika leaving. But as we knew that he was in a hurry to join his family for Fortune's wedding we didn't expect too much.

First we were waiting at the entrance for artists. But after 30-45 minutes we decided to go to the other side of the venue - where the restaurant is. Just a slow walk on our hurting feet. 

When we arrived to the small path leading to the restaurant there was a lady who said that we cannot enter now. We have to wait 10 minutes. I just tuned my head to talk to the girls and when I turned my head back I've seen a black taxi slowly passing by.

The car stops for 3 seconds. The passenger windshield goes down and.... we can see smiling Mika's face!!!!

We started to scream: Mika, thank you, bye..... He waved his hand and is gone.

It was our cherry on top of the cake :cloud: The timing was perfect. 

Sing Cup Cake GIF by Travis

Now we could walk back to the car and drive back to Geneva.

I want to thank @Prisca  again for being our driver :drive:

She left me at the train station (I had only 5 minutes walk to my hotel) and she drove to the airport to drop off Nina and Cythia. They had early morning flights.

I came back to my hotel room. It was hard to fall asleep not only because of the heat. So many wonderful moments we had this day!!!!

So thank you once again all Mika fans I met.

image.thumb.png.e4f892b380f515e6a31e7b863ac9ff44.png

Next day I was still in Geneva so in the afternoon I spent some time with other fans at the food truck festival.

We were talking about everything and were able to learn more about each other.

I know that when I go for a Mika concert I will never be alone.

I know fans from so many different countries. And this is something you can't evaluate. We are golden.

On Saturday morning at the airport I met Michelle @holdingyourdrink

I was very happy that we could spend 30 minutes together and exchange our thoughts about Mika.

Next time see you in LONDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 min

Publié18 juin 2022, 22:17

https://www.20min.ch/fr/story/encore-une-affluence-dingue-pour-un-festival-romand-428488577992

Caribana:

Encore une affluence dingue pour un festival romand

L’open air Caribana a attiré 30’500 personnes, du 15 au 18 juin 2022, sur la plage de Crans (VD).

C’est presque un record.

Le showman Mika a encore frappé

Le Britannico-libanais a le jeudi 16 juin 2022, une nouvelle fois après 2015, ébloui le Caribana avec ses capacités vocales hors-norme et sa tchatche pleine de bonne humeur et d’humour.

Au début du show, Mika a été importuné par d’innombrables mouches et moustiques. Il n’est pas parvenu à finir son titre tant il rigolait. Juste ensuite, il s’est offert un bain de foule.

Des fans venues de Pologne, de France, d’Allemagne et d’Italie ont fait le pied de grue dès 8h du matin pour être au premier rang.

:uk: Google translatoe

Spoiler

Caribbean:

Another crazy crowd for a festival in Romandie

The open air Caribana attracted 30,500 people, from June 15 to 18, 2022, on the beach of Crans (VD).

It's almost a record.

Showman Mika strikes again

The Britannic-Lebanese on Thursday June 16, 2022, once again after 2015, dazzled the Caribana with his extraordinary vocal abilities and his chat full of good humor and humor.

At the start of the show, Mika was bothered by countless flies and mosquitoes. He did not manage to finish his title as he was laughing. Just then, he offered himself a walkabout.

Fans from Poland, France, Germany and Italy lined up from 8 a.m. to be in the front row.

caribana-1.thumb.jpg.2234229b39410fc49352a5ec90a0fb8c.jpg

2C1m3a484RoAW3llI3LjG6.thumb.png.50db3b9dc378f4aac867007d7a724a91.png

• Like 2

Sorry I'm a bit late with uploading the rest of my videos, but here they are:

talk before Big Girl:

short clip of Mika entering the crowd during Big Girl:

A bit of the acoustic Yoyo intro :wub2:

talk about Yoyo and the beginning of the song:

2 small clips of Ice Cream, with the teddy bear (I wanted to take pictures but not familiar with my new phone/camera yet, that's why they are so short, lol!):

talk during Underwater, making the crowd sing ("angels" upstairs and "purgatory" downstairs :teehee:)

a short clip of Elle me Dit:

Intro for Love Today:

And here's some more of my photos and another short clip of We Are Golden, with the flying cape:

• Like 2

The concert at the Caribana Festival in Nyon was so amazing! :cloud: I have wonderful memories of the one in 2015, but this was even more beautiful. In the afternoon we attended the rehearsals with the musicians. After the rehearsals I met, with my friends, Wouter and Max and they were very kind! :wub2: During the concert there was an incredible energy and the audience was like a big family gathered just for him. :group_hug: We sang, danced with him and Mika was moved by the great participation. It was a very emotional moment. :lustslow: During Big Girl he went into the audience right in front of me and I was trying to make room for him, but the people behind didn’t move... I told him I couldn’t move, he smiled at me and managed to get away. When he came back, he went back to where I was, and I tried to make room for him once more but I couldn’t quite... Fortunately, two security guards helped him back on stage. It wasn’t the first time this had happened to me, but it always gives me a little anxiety... :sweatdrop: After the concert we saw him in the car and he thanked us and said goodbye. It was a perfect concert, before during and after. :cheer:
I share some photos and videos:

1655492590040.jpg

1655492507132.jpg

1655492376406.jpg

1655492716394.jpg

1655492453083.jpg

1655492932439.jpg

1655492813048.jpg

1655495975854.jpg

1655493173756.jpg

1655495539830.jpg

1655495624567.jpg