Mika Composes Soundtrack for New Film "Princes of the Desert" (formerly "TEHU")

Kumazzz

INSTAGRAM story by Nadia Benzakour ( actress )

https://www.instagram.com/stories/nadiabenzakourofficial/2958457768534792964/

Screen Daily

https://www.screendaily.com/news/snd-unveils-princes-of-the-desert-first-look-alongside-extensive-afm-slate-exclusive/5175895.article

SND unveils ‘Princes Of The Desert’ first look alongside extensive AFM slate (exclusive)

French sales company SND has revealed a first look image and fresh production details for Princes Of The Desert, Eric Barbier’s adventure film starring Alexandra Lamy, and has unveiled details of its extensive AFM slate.

Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Mika is behind the soundtrack for Princes of the Desert which was previously titled Tehu. Lamy, whose credits include Rolling To You, replaces the previously announced Charlotte Gainsbourg in the film.

The film, produced by SND alongside Vertigo Productions (De Gaulle, Would I Lie to You), follows a young Berber boy who bonds with a camel as they cross the Sahara on an epic journey. Currently in post-production, SND will release the film in France on February 8, 2023.

SND, the feature film arm of France’s M6 broadcasting group, will screen a promo reel for the first time to buyers at the upcoming AFM.

SND director of international distribution Ramy Nahas described the film to Screen as “the endearing story of the duo Zodi and Tehu, full of twists and wonderful, unfamiliar settings. Tinged with a road movie from the Sahara to the Gulf countries, this epic adventure plot has the strength of old-time stories, while being very modern and bound to our time.” He added: “Princes Of The Desert is a project that appeals to a wide mainstream and family audience across the world.”

1382921_princesdesertsife.elamine10588_106752_crop.thumb.jpg.40f0b1931fadd9c8b859b85536770997.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kumazzz said:

French sales company SND has revealed a first look image and fresh production details for Princes Of The Desert, Eric Barbier’s adventure film starring Alexandra Lamy, and has unveiled details of its extensive AFM slate.

Hmm, "Princes Of The Desert" - could it be a title for the English speaking countries?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Hmm, "Princes Of The Desert" - could it be a title for the English speaking countries?

My thoughts exactly. And “Feels Like Fire” is maybe part of it and will be after the movie came out releases separately  as the next single for the English album? 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Sounds like it:

4 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

He added: “Princes Of The Desert is a project that appeals to a wide mainstream and family audience across the world.”

Later in the article they also write that the production company "has expanded its scope to not only distribute films in France and handle international sales, but also to produce several titles." - so maybe we'll be lucky and can watch it in other countries! :crossed:

I've adjusted the title of this thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• mellody changed the title to Mika Composes Soundtrack for New Film "TEHU" / "Princes of the desert"
6 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

No, I think they've changed the title for everywhere -- it says, "Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Mika is behind the soundtrack for Princes of the Desert which was previously titled Tehu."

That happens a lot. Probably thought it was a bit more descriptive and would appeal to a wider market.

• Like 4

• dcdeb changed the title to Mika Composes Soundtrack for New Film "Princes of the Desert" (formerly "TEHU")
36 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

No, I think they've changed the title for everywhere -- it says, "Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Mika is behind the soundtrack for Princes of the Desert which was previously titled Tehu."

That happens a lot. Probably thought it was a bit more descriptive and would appeal to a wider market.

Actually the "final" French title was "Zodi et Téhu, frères du déser" (Zodi and Tehu, brothers of the desert), which doesn't sound too international imo. "Princes of The Desert" sounds more "hollywood-ish" :wink2:

• Like 1

AFM ( American Film Market )

https://www.thefilmcatalogue.com/films/promo-loop

AFM 2022 Screening Schedule

AMC Broadway 3
Nov. 1 - 9:00 am

AMC Santa Monica 1
Nov. 2 - 9:00 am

AVAILABLE PROMO REEL

PROMO REEL SCREENINGS

• NOVEMBER 1ST - 9:00 AM - AMC BROADWAY 3 [ RERUN 9.30 AM - 10 AM - 10.30 AM ]
  • NOVEMBER 2ND - 9:00 AM - AMC SANTA MONICA 1 [ RERUN 9.30 AM - 10 AM - 10.30 AM ]

POST-PRODUCTION

PRINCES OF THE DESERT

(ZODI ET TÉHU, FRÈRES DU DÉSERT)

AN ODE TO COURAGE AND FREEDOM,

AN EPIC ADVENTURE AND A FANTASTIC TALE ABOUT FRIENDSHIP! AVAILABLE PROMO REEL

• A FILM BY ERIC BARBIER ( AN AFRICAN CHILDHOOD, PROMISE AT DAWN )
  • CAST: ALEXANDRA LAMY ( ROLLING TO YOU, THE BOOK OF WONDERS )
  • PRODUCTION: VERTIGO PRODUCTIONS ( DE GAULLE, WOULD I LIE TO YOU – THE SAGA ) SND ( POLY, SPREAD YOUR WINGS )
  • ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK MIKA

SYNOPSIS

When Zodi, a Berber boy, finds Tehu, a baby camel, he takes him under his wing with no hesitation. Over the months Zodi and Tehu bond and Zodi discovers the camel’s amazing racing skills. When Tehu catches the attention of Tarek, a crooked merchant, Zodi decides to save his friend and flee. Together they will cross the Sahara to take part in the race of the century. If they win Zodi can save Tehu and his village. Chased by Tarek Zodi will find a friend in Julia, a smart vet. The boy and the camel have started the most incredible journey…

1859823011_AFM2022LINEUPPRINTSND-5_p.thumb.jpg.d59f54b61819269b557ae09500396d2f.jpg

975519087_AFM2022LINEUPPRINTSND-5_pa.thumb.jpg.5d9f149020391146fa24359c8516fa2d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

AFM ( American Film Market )

https://www.thefilmcatalogue.com/films/promo-loop

AFM 2022 Screening Schedule

AMC Broadway 3
Nov. 1 - 9:00 am

AMC Santa Monica 1
Nov. 2 - 9:00 am

AVAILABLE PROMO REEL

PROMO REEL SCREENINGS

• NOVEMBER 1ST - 9:00 AM - AMC BROADWAY 3 [ RERUN 9.30 AM - 10 AM - 10.30 AM ]
  • NOVEMBER 2ND - 9:00 AM - AMC SANTA MONICA 1 [ RERUN 9.30 AM - 10 AM - 10.30 AM ]

POST-PRODUCTION

PRINCES OF THE DESERT

(ZODI ET TÉHU, FRÈRES DU DÉSERT)

AN ODE TO COURAGE AND FREEDOM,

AN EPIC ADVENTURE AND A FANTASTIC TALE ABOUT FRIENDSHIP! AVAILABLE PROMO REEL

• A FILM BY ERIC BARBIER ( AN AFRICAN CHILDHOOD, PROMISE AT DAWN )
  • CAST: ALEXANDRA LAMY ( ROLLING TO YOU, THE BOOK OF WONDERS )
  • PRODUCTION: VERTIGO PRODUCTIONS ( DE GAULLE, WOULD I LIE TO YOU – THE SAGA ) SND ( POLY, SPREAD YOUR WINGS )
  • ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK MIKA

SYNOPSIS

When Zodi, a Berber boy, finds Tehu, a baby camel, he takes him under his wing with no hesitation. Over the months Zodi and Tehu bond and Zodi discovers the camel’s amazing racing skills. When Tehu catches the attention of Tarek, a crooked merchant, Zodi decides to save his friend and flee. Together they will cross the Sahara to take part in the race of the century. If they win Zodi can save Tehu and his village. Chased by Tarek Zodi will find a friend in Julia, a smart vet. The boy and the camel have started the most incredible journey…

1859823011_AFM2022LINEUPPRINTSND-5_p.thumb.jpg.d59f54b61819269b557ae09500396d2f.jpg

975519087_AFM2022LINEUPPRINTSND-5_pa.thumb.jpg.5d9f149020391146fa24359c8516fa2d.jpg

What a beautiful photo ♥️♥️😍😚

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Can anybody explain me if the word "screening" here means showing a movie to the "buyers" - movie distributors?

Or just a trailer?

The first screening is the 1st of November! So is the movie finished?!!!!

My same thoughts! It seems to be finished now? Otherwise they wouldn’t screen it?

Which raises the question: if the movie is finished, the recording of The Piano presumably coming to an end (it is the final that will be recorded on the 10th?), it means Mika has time for… his albums?? Or do you all think he has other projects on the horizon as well? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

My same thoughts! It seems to be finished now? Otherwise they wouldn’t screen it?

Which raises the question: if the movie is finished, the recording of The Piano presumably coming to an end (it is the final that will be recorded on the 10th?), it means Mika has time for… his albums?? Or do you all think he has other projects on the horizon as well? 

The question I posted on Twitter was a sort of teasing Mika about a new album(s) :wink2:

Why not to make a little concert for the fans just to test a few new songs??

... I know.... I'm a dreamer...:facepalm:

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

The question I posted on Twitter was a sort of teasing Mika about a new album(s) :wink2:

Why not to make a little concert for the fans just to test a few new songs??

... I know.... I'm a dreamer...:facepalm:

Or a pre-listening like he did for TOOL back then… ahh! We can only dream! 

• Like 4

If the film is getting an international release then I hope I can find a cinema near me that will be showing it!

Also I've been thinking, what if Mika has a cameo appearance in the film, one of those blink and you miss him moments? 😁

If that's the case then I'll be watching the film multiple times just to spot him! It really would be like a Mika version of 'Where's Wally"! 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Screen Dailies

Screen DAY 1

Tuesday, November 1 2022

At The American Film Market

page 22

MARKET BUZZ THE LOWDOWN

SND (Group M6) launches three new promo reels for Eric Bar bier’s Princes Of The Desert (formerly titled Te h u ) about the adventures of a Berber boy and a camel, now starring French actress Alexandra Lamy andwith a soundtrack by Mika;

November 1, 2022 | Screen International at AFM | screendaily.com

313167339_2022_11.01Screen_Daily_American_Film_Market_Day-1_page-22_TEHU.thumb.jpg.33f03d01ffcbd66b28fe4233025ac41a.jpg

227587048_2022_11.01Screen_Daily_American_Film_Market_Day-1_p-22.thumb.jpg.622daef3790185b93d2064b9310e80d5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

SND (Group M6) launches three new promo reels for Eric Bar bier’s Princes Of The Desert (formerly titled Te h u ) about the adventures of a Berber boy and a camel, now starring French actress Alexandra Lamy andwith a soundtrack by Mika;

November 1, 2022 | Screen International at AFM | screendaily.com

So it's the reels - not the whole movie.

I hope they will use Mika's music. "Love Feels Like Fire"?????

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

So it's the reels - not the whole movie.

I hope they will use Mika's music. "Love Feels Like Fire"?????

Yes, wouldn't they be early if they were already showing the film now. I don't think everything is ready yet because of the February release. :dunno_grin:

• Like 2

Screen Dailies

https://www.screendaily.com/news/snd-unveils-princes-of-the-desert-first-look-alongside-extensive-afm-slate-exclusive/5175895.article

SND unveils ‘Princes Of The Desert’ first look alongside extensive AFM slate (exclusive)
27 October 2022

Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Mika is behind the soundtrack for Princes of the Desert which was previously titled Tehu. Lamy, whose credits include Rolling To You, replaces the previously announced Charlotte Gainsbourg in the film.

The film, produced by SND alongside Vertigo Productions (De Gaulle, Would I Lie to You), follows a young Berber boy who bonds with a camel as they cross the Sahara on an epic journey. Currently in post-production, SND will release the film in France on February 8, 2023.

SND, the feature film arm of France’s M6 broadcasting group, will screen a promo reel for the first time to buyers at the upcoming AFM.

SND director of international distribution Ramy Nahas described the film to Screen as “the endearing story of the duo Zodi and Tehu, full of twists and wonderful, unfamiliar settings. Tinged with a road movie from the Sahara to the Gulf countries, this epic adventure plot has the strength of old-time stories, while being very modern and bound to our time.”

He added: “Princes Of The Desert is a project that appeals to a wide mainstream and family audience across the world.”

AFM slate

Lamy also stars in SND adventure tale The Book Of Wonders from Oscar-winning Coda producer Philippe Rousselet and Eric Jehelmann. Based on a best-selling novel, the adventure tale from director Lisa Azuelos (Sweetheart, Dalida) tells the story of a woman who finds her 12 year-old son’s bucket list when he falls into a coma and sets off to make his wishes come true. SND will release The Book of Wonders in France in March 2023.

SND will also deliver The Baby to AFM buyers. The film from prolific French director Guillaume Nicloux (Valley Of Love, Lockdown Tower) stars Fabrice Luchini in a story about family, grief and resilience. The title is produced by Les Films du Kiosque, François Kraus and Denis Pineau-Valencienne’s Paris-based production company which is behind Nicolas Bedos’ Mascarade and La Belle Epoque and the upcoming French painter drama Bonnard, Pierre and Marthe.

“This is the first time we are developing a project with Guillaume Nicloux who is a unique, exacting filmmaker and a great director of actors, whom we admire enormously and who has shown the extent of his talent in very different genres, from thrillers to dark comedy,” Kraus told Screen. SND will release the film in France in September 2023.

Also at AFM, SND will unveil a first promo reel for Laetitia Colombani’s The Braid based on the director’s own best-selling book that sold more than eight million copies worldwide and is about the intertwining stories of three different women in India, Canada and Italy. The film shot in Hindi, English and Italian stars Kim Raver, Fotini Peluso, Mia Maelzer and Avi Nash and is produced by Moana Films (Knock, The Odyssey). Curiosa Films, the French company behind Xavier Giannoli’s Lost Illusions Venice title that won seven César awards including best film, co-produces. The soundtrack is by Ludovico Einaudi who notably scored Mommy and The Father. SND will release The Braid in local theatres on November 29, 2023.

SND will also screen a promo reel of Julien Hervé’s French comedy Ooh La La! about shocking DNA tests that throw off a couple’s wedding plans. Currently in post-production, SND also produced the film with White and Yellow Productions. It stars Christian Clavier (Kamelott, With Open Arms) alongside Sylvie Testud, Didier Bourbon and Marianne Denicourt.

Other highlights from the company’s AFM line-up include psychological thriller Visions starring Diane Kruger and Mathieu Kassovitz and a first teaser for the SND-produced Frédéric Tellier biopic Abbé Pierre-A Century Of Devotion about the titular Catholic priest.

Expanding scope

SND has expanded its scope to not only distribute films in France and handle international sales, but also to produce several titles.

SND title Kompromat from director Jerome Salle, starring ubiquitous actor Gilles Lellouche, has had a solid run at the box office with 600,000 tickets sold since its early autumn release, boosting ticket sales even during the rough month of September for theatres in the territory.

SND upcoming releases include Julia(s), A great Friend and The Jungle Bunch World Tour.

1382921_princesdesertsife.elamine10588_106752.thumb.jpg.92f910294e045d29a6ec4c7ea7c70e56.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2022 at 11:22 AM, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Actually the "final" French title was "Zodi et Téhu, frères du déser" (Zodi and Tehu, brothers of the desert), which doesn't sound too international imo. "Princes of The Desert" sounds more "hollywood-ish" :wink2:

Well, you just said it yourself -- Zodi et Tehu, freres du deser, is the FRENCH title.

I think it's pretty clear that for the wider world release it will have the English title, "Princes of the Desert."

On 10/29/2022 at 2:53 PM, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Can anybody explain me if the word "screening" here means showing a movie to the "buyers" - movie distributors?

Or just a trailer?

The first screening is the 1st of November! So is the movie finished?!!!!

To me, this sounds like it is just for "buyers", as you say -- those who distribute films to the cinema chains, and maybe some independent movie houses as well. I think it's pretty common for them to see "tastes" of the films before they decide whether they are going to put them in their theaters.

I think the movie must be mostly done at this point -- they may have some final editing to do, but I don't think they would have announced a specific release date and be soliciting distributors if they weren't confident that it is going to be 100% done soon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The premiere of the movie is scheduled for the 8th of February 2023.

I know we have still 3 months but I thought that maybe we could organize "a group screening" in February or beginning of March?

We could choose a day and come together to Paris and go to watch the movie together.

Well, hard to say for the moment if there will be as well an English version or a French version with English subtitles.

At least we can go in a smaller group for a French version with the fans speaking or understanding French.

What do you think? It makes me feel better to make some plans for the nearest future.

Of course in my dreams I see some invitations for the premiere sent by Mika to MFC.  Let's stay high :wink2: 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Box Office France

https://www.boxofficepro.fr/convention-snd-fidele-a-sa-french-touch/

2 décembre 2022

Convention : SND fidèle à sa french touch

( - Excerpt - )

:france:

SND lancera son année 2023 avec le film familial d’aventure Zodi et Téhu, frères du désert le 8 février.

L’histoire de l’amitié inédite entre un jeune nomade et un dromadaire orphelin, qui se lancent dans un périple à travers le Sahara pour participer à la plus grande course de dromadaires du monde, à Abu Dhabi.

« Trois aspects du projet m’attiraient. D’abord, créer le lien émotif entre l’enfant et l’animal. Ensuite, imaginer cette épopée, avec un camp nomade dans le désert comme point de départ pour arriver parmi l’un des villes les plus modernes du monde. Enfin, filmer l’univers des courses montées, que l’on connaît peu, était visuellement très porteur », a raconté le réalisateur Éric Barbier (La Promesse de l’aube, Petit Pays…).

Alexandra Lamy figure au générique de cette coproduction SND et Vertigo.

À noter que Mika a composé l’une des musiques principales.

:uk:( Google translator )

SND will launch its year 2023 with the family adventure film Zodi and Téhu, brothers of the desert on February 8.

The story of the unprecedented friendship between a young nomad and an orphan dromedary, who embark on a journey through the Sahara to participate in the largest camel race in the world, in Abu Dhabi.

« Three aspects of the project appealed to me. First, create the emotional bond between the child and the animal. Then, imagine this epic, with a nomad camp in the desert as a starting point to arrive among one of the most modern cities in the world. Finally, filming the world of mounted racing, which we know little about, was visually very promising, ”said director Éric Barbier (La Promise de l’aube, Petit Pays…).

Alexandra Lamy appears in the credits of this SND and Vertigo co-production.

Note that Mika composed one of the main music.

zodi.jpg.2574d0061b2b64d9ebfe40a8d83eba4d.jpg

snd.thumb.jpg.7f0e38194f2ded20e7deaa087cf72b07.jpg

• Like 3

The Good Life interview

Mika mentions the soundtrack.

En studio, j’aspire à la liberté. Je viens de finaliser deux albums: l’un en français l’autre en anglais et j’ai livré ma première BO de film, une heure de musique symphonique sur laquelle j’ai travaillé  durant dix mois. Mon studio se compose en réalité de quatre studios qui tournent en parallèle,  l’un avec des programmateurs électros, un deuxième avec des arrangeurs et orchestrateurs  classiques, un autre pour des musiques expérimentales enregistrées avec des micros 3D…. Avec  au centre des quatre, la cuisine où chacun vient se restaurer sur du Charlie Parker, Polo et Pan,  Sam Fender, Mel Tormé, Bon Entendeur, du jazz de Harlem des années 40…  

In studio, desidero ardentemente la libertà. Ho appena ultimato due album: uno in francese l'altro  in inglese e ho consegnato la mia prima colonna sonora per un film, un'ora di musica sinfonica su  cui ho lavorato per dieci mesi. Il mio studio è in realtà composto da quattro studi che funzionano  in parallelo, uno con programmatori elettronici, un secondo con arrangiatori e orchestratori  classici, un altro per musica sperimentale registrata con microfoni 3D…. Con al centro dei quattro,  la cucina dove tutti vengono a mangiare Charlie Parker, Polo e Pan, Sam Fender, Mel Tormé, Bon  Entendeur, Harlem jazz degli anni '40... 

In the studio, I aspire to freedom. I’ve just finalised two albums: one in french, the other in english and realised my first movie soundtrack, an hour of symphonic music I’ve worked on for 10 months. My studio is composed of 4 studios that operate in tandem, one with electro programmers, a second with classical arrangers, orchestrators, another for experimental music recorded with 3D microphones. In the centre of the 4 studios, there is a kitchen where everyone comes to feed themselves while listening to Charlie Parker, Polo and Pan, Sam Fender, Mel Tormé, Bon entendeur, Harlem Jazz from the 40’s. 

2022-The_Good_Life.thumb.jpg.e6b91871ec9629283c14d09cabf9f8ae.jpg

13 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

The Good Life - Décembre 2022 - Janvier 2023 (No. 56)

the_good_life_2022_12_2023_01_fr.thumb.jpg.167b11b5273d383a4317470e2fc4181e.jpg

page 298

The_Good_Life_2022_12_2023_01_fr.downmagaz.net-298-299_page-0001.thumb.jpg.cd596b637021c18ba15f49d2ed423a21.jpg

page 299

The_Good_Life_2022_12_2023_01_fr.downmagaz.net-298-299_page-0002.thumb.jpg.d07035f363a51dff03c737d89ae05012.jpg

22 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Révélé en 2007 par le hit Relax, Take It Easy, l’auteur compositeur a plus d’une corde à son arc  musical. Celui qui multiplie les journées en studio prend un grand soin dans le choix de son  équipement audio, dès qu’arrive l’heure de l’écoute juste pour le plaisir. Il a rencontré The Good  Life dans un décor d’exception: la résidence d’artistes Numeroventi, au coeur de Florence.  

Rivelato nel 2007 dalla hit Relax, Take It Easy, Mika ha più di una corda al suo arco musicale. Chi  moltiplica le giornate in studio pone molta cura nella scelta del proprio impianto audio, non  appena arriva il momento dell'ascolto solo per divertimento. Ha incontrato The Good Life in una  cornice d'eccezione: la residenza degli artisti Numeroventi, nel cuore di Firenze. 

Made famous by the 2007 hit Relax, take it easy, the singer songwriter has more than one string to his musical bow. Spending his days in the studio, he takes great care in choosing his audio equipment when it comes to listening to music just for fun. He met the Good Life in an exceptional décor: the artist's residency Numeroventi, in Florence.

Comment êtes-vous venu à la musique ?  

Come sei arrivato alla musica?  

How did you come to music ? 

Dès mon plus jeune âge, le mystère du son m’a fasciné. À 5 ans, j’ai reçu, à Noël, un violon que  j’ai totalement détruit au bout d’une heure. Quand mes parents, furieux, m’en ont demandé la  raison j’ai répondu que je cherchais d’ou venait le son sans comprendre que l’intérieur de  l’instrument était vide. J’imaginais le son comme un élément plastique, sculptural, qu’il fallait  former. Cette question s’est transformée en obsession pour la puissance émotionnelle des  mélodies et des textures. Avec la pratique du chant et du piano, j’ai débuté professionnellement à  8 ans.  

Fin dalla tenera età, il mistero del suono mi ha affascinato. Quando avevo 5 anni, a Natale ho  ricevuto un violino, che ho completamente distrutto dopo un'ora. Quando i miei genitori furiosi mi  hanno chiesto perché, ho risposto che stavo cercando da dove provenisse il suono senza capire  che l'interno dello strumento era vuoto. Ho immaginato il suono come un elemento plastico,  scultoreo che doveva essere formato. Questa domanda si è trasformata in un'ossessione per il  potere emotivo delle melodie e delle trame. Con la pratica del canto e del pianoforte, ho iniziato  professionalmente a 8 anni. 

From a very early age, the mystery of the sound has fascinated me. When I was 5, I was given, for Christmas, a violin that I completely destroyed in an hour. When my parents, furious, asked me why, I said that I was looking for where the sound was coming from, without being able to understand why within the violin it was empty. I imagined the sound as a plastic, sculptural element that needed to be shaped. That question became an obsession for the emotional power of melodies and textures. With the singing and piano practice, I started professionally at the age of 8. 

Qu’écoutiez-vous alors ?  

Cosa stavi ascoltando allora? 
What were you listening to then ? 

J’ai grandi bercé par le classique. De Johann Strauss à Bach, nombre de compositeurs ont  compté, au même titre que la musique religieuse à l’église. Je suis allé à l’opéra dès l’âge de  quatre ans. Même Noël était l’occasion de nous rendre à des spectacles à l’opéra ou au théâtre.  Toutes ces influences se mélangeaient à Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Shabba Ranks, Nina Simone….  Encore aujourd’hui je peux écouter dans la journée de la musique contemporaine, du rap, de la  dance et de la pop sans aucune frontière entre les styles.  

Sono cresciuto cullato dal classico. Da Johann Strauss a Bach, molti compositori hanno contato,  così come la musica religiosa nella chiesa. Sono andato all'opera dall'età di quattro anni. Anche il  Natale era per noi l'occasione per andare agli spettacoli dell'opera o del teatro. Tutte queste  influenze mescolate con Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Shabba Ranks, Nina Simone…. Ancora oggi  posso ascoltare musica contemporanea, rap, dance e pop durante il giorno senza alcun confine  tra stili.

I grew up rocked by classical music. From de Johann Strauss to Back, many composers mattered, in the same manner as religious music at Church. I started going to the Opera at the age of 4. Even Christmas was the opportunity for us to go to shows at the Opera or to the Theatre. All these influences mixed themselves with Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Shabba Ranks, Nina Simone… Still today, I can listen in a day to contemporary music, rap, dance, pop without any borders between the styles. 

Etes vous éclectique en tant que compositeur?  

Sei eclettico come compositore?  

Are you eclectic as a songwriter? 

En studio, j’aspire à la liberté. Je viens de finaliser deux albums: l’un en français l’autre en anglais  et j’ai livré ma première BO de film, une heure de musique symphonique sur laquelle j’ai travaillé  durant dix mois. Mon studio se compose en réalité de quatre studios qui tournent en parallèle,  l’un avec des programmateurs électros, un deuxième avec des arrangeurs et orchestrateurs  classiques, un autre pour des musiques expérimentales enregistrées avec des micros 3D…. Avec  au centre des quatre, la cuisine où chacun vient se restaurer sur du Charlie Parker, Polo et Pan,  Sam Fender, Mel Tormé, Bon Entendeur, du jazz de Harlem des années 40…  

In studio, desidero ardentemente la libertà. Ho appena ultimato due album: uno in francese l'altro  in inglese e ho consegnato la mia prima colonna sonora per un film, un'ora di musica sinfonica su  cui ho lavorato per dieci mesi. Il mio studio è in realtà composto da quattro studi che funzionano  in parallelo, uno con programmatori elettronici, un secondo con arrangiatori e orchestratori  classici, un altro per musica sperimentale registrata con microfoni 3D…. Con al centro dei quattro,  la cucina dove tutti vengono a mangiare Charlie Parker, Polo e Pan, Sam Fender, Mel Tormé, Bon  Entendeur, Harlem jazz degli anni '40... 

In the studio, I aspire to freedom. I’ve just finalised two albums: one in french, the other in english and realised my first movie soundtrack, an hour of symphonic music I’ve worked on for 10 months. My studio is composed of 4 studios that operate in tandem, one with electro programmers, a second with classical arrangers, orchestrators, another for experimental music recorded with 3D microphones. In the centre of the 4 studios, there is a kitchen where everyone comes to feed themselves while listening to Charlie Parker, Polo and Pan, Sam Fender, Mel Tormé, Bon entendeur, Harlem Jazz from the 40’s. 

Qu’a changé (pour vous) le passage de la musique du support physique au numérique ?  Cosa ha cambiato (per te) il passaggio della musica dal supporto fisico al digitale?  What has changed (for you) the transition of music from a physical support to a digital one?

Le numérique permet de trouver tout ce qu’on veut écouter avec l’embarras du choix. C’est  formidable de pouvoir par exemple, tomber sur un enregistrement de Kurt Weill des années 40.  Mais à travers cette bibliothèque virtuelle, infinie et non éditorialisée, la musique a perdu son coté  cérémonial. La manière de la digérer a aussi changé. Nous sommes toujours dans une période de  transition. Tout évolue tous les six mois du point de vue de la qualité des fichiers, des catalogues  des algorithmes et des technologies d’écoute. On est passé du format MP3 compressé à des  fichiers haute définition avec du matériel qui s’adapte.  

Il digitale permette di trovare tutto ciò che si vuole ascoltare con l'imbarazzo della scelta. È bello  potersi imbattere, ad esempio, in una registrazione di Kurt Weill degli anni 40. Ma attraverso  questa biblioteca virtuale, infinita e non editoriale, la musica ha perso il suo lato cerimoniale.  Anche il modo di digerirlo è cambiato. Siamo ancora in un periodo di transizione. Ogni sei mesi  cambia tutto dal punto di vista della qualità dei file, dei cataloghi degli algoritmi e delle tecnologie  di ascolto. Siamo passati dal formato MP3 compresso a file ad alta definizione con hardware che  si adatta. 

Digital technology enables one to find anything one wants to listen with a plethora of choices. It’s wonderful to be able to come upon a Kurt Weil recording from the 40’s for instance. But through this virtual library, infinite and not editorialised, music has lost its ceremonial aspect. The way of processing it has changed as well. We’re still in a transition period. Everything changes every six months from the file quality, the catalogues, algorithms to the listening technologies. We went from the MP3 format, compressed to high definition files with adaptive equipment. 

Quel matériel vous semble à la hauteur ?  

Quale materiale pensi che valga la pena? 
Which equipment do you think lives up to expectations? 

Je passe mes journées face à des enceintes de travail au rendu complètement plat, afin  d’entendre la réalité de ce que j’enregistre. Cela épuise les oreilles. Quand je m’en éloigne, je veux  des enceintes avec de la profondeur, pour plus de plaisir. Dans  la cuisine et le salon de deux de  mes maisons, je possède des produits Bang Olufsen tels que l’enceinte Beosound Level. Leur  algorithmes sont sûrement les plus sophistiqués au monde. Ils donnent une qualité de son qui me  plait, surtout pour le numérique.  

Trascorro le mie giornate davanti a diffusori da lavoro con resa completamente flat, per poter  sentire la realtà di ciò che registro. Esaurisce le orecchie. Quando mi allontano da esso, voglio  altoparlanti con profondità, per più piacere. Nella cucina e nel soggiorno di due delle mie case, ho  prodotti Bang Olufsen come il diffusore Beosound Level. I loro algoritmi sono sicuramente i più  sofisticati al mondo. Danno una qualità del suono che mi piace, soprattutto per il digitale.

I spend my days in front of working speakers with a flat rendering in order to hear the reality of what I record. It exhausts one’s ears. When I move away from them, I want speakers with depth, for more pleasure. In two of my houses’ kitchen and living room, I own Bang Olufsen products, such as the Beosound Level speaker. Their algorithms are certainly the most sophisticated in the world. They deliver a sound quality that I like, especially for the digital.  

Qu’appréciez vous le plus dans cette enceinte ?  

Cosa ti piace di più di questo altoparlante musicale?  

What do you like the most about that speaker?

Elle procure la qualité sans compromis en stéréo aussi bien pour le classique, le rap, le jazz. On la  trouve par paires dans mes loges de concerts ou à la télévision car j’écoute tout le temps de la  musique.  

Fornisce una qualità senza compromessi in stereo per musica classica, rap e jazz. Si trova in  coppia nel miei palchi da concerto o in televisione perché ascolto musica tutto il tempo.

It procures quality without compromise in stereo in equal measures for classical, rap, jazz. You can find it by pairs in my concerts or TV lodges because I listen to music all the time. 

22 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Not sure if this was posted here

Thank you @Anna Ko Kolkowska :flowers2: :huglove: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CloERkJghZ_/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

And also a translation found on internet by @ clipmika on instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CloERkJghZ_/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Credits go to blooming boy on twitter who blocked me a long time ago I have no clue why

Nathalie kindly shared the text with me

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ImbGHyRquW29MkQ8__p4FsrVW3z8R2yi5-guSK_adkI/edit?usp=drivesdk 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1