Mika in UK and Ireland press - 2023

Kumazzz

Thanks, I think from the translation I understood the meaning of the interview a little. I think that in England they are still a bit too stuck on this situation of coming out, instead they should start to understand his music and its evolution over the years. I also hope that Mika will be able to find in music what makes him feel good, but if he wants to reach extreme happiness he could be disappointed and this can cause him to fall. In my opinion, instead, he should seize the moments of life, even the most banal, and make music out of it .

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Times Radio

Catch Up

20 Apr 2023

Mariella Frostrup: The 2pm Interview

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/radio/show/20230420-20197/2023-04-20

👉 AUDIO FILE ( m4a / 14.5 MB )

Audio Video

YouTube by @linzijay Thanks !

Mariella Frostrup The 2 PM Interview/The Big Interview With MIKA on 20 April 2023

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/20/2023 at 7:21 PM, Sara penny said:

Thanks, I think from the translation I understood the meaning of the interview a little. I think that in England they are still a bit too stuck on this situation of coming out, instead they should start to understand his music and its evolution over the years. I also hope that Mika will be able to find in music what makes him feel good, but if he wants to reach extreme happiness he could be disappointed and this can cause him to fall. In my opinion, instead, he should seize the moments of life, even the most banal, and make music out of it .

I can't translate it into Italian but whenever I find time I'll translate it in French and that text could be put into google translate so it would be more detailed. I really want to but I need to find time....

@Kumazzz  I don't know how to repost articles like you do. Below I just did a copy and paste. Is there a better way to do it?

https://buildingourownnashville.com/2023/04/26/cheltenham-jazz-festival-mika-wednesday-26th-april-2023-live-review/CHELTENHAM JAZZ FESTIVAL

Cheltenham Jazz Festival: Mika – Wednesday 26th April 2023 – Live Review

img_0391.jpg?w=1024

Singer/Songwriter Mika (who was born in Beirut, Lebanon, and raised in Paris and London) opened up Cheltenham Jazz Festival 2023 on the main stage in The Big Top Tent on Wednesday 26th April 2023.

I haven’t always been a fan of Mika. I partially put that down to radio overkill of Grace Kelly back in 2007 and from then I simply didn’t give him the chance. Regardless of the fact I wasn’t a fan, I always appreciated his talent. Mika is an undeniably phenomenal singer and it was easy to see why he was and is so popular, even if he wasn’t to my taste.

Fast forward to 2022 when Mika Co-hosted Eurovision in Italy. Mika came across as a very humble and a true gentleman and his performance on Eurovision was so energetic and fun that I started to change my mind about him.

When Mika was announced for Cheltenham Jazz Festival, I saw this as my opportunity to see him live for the first time and really make my mind up about him.

A sold out show, Mika was the perfect artist to kick off the weeks festivities. I won’t pretend that I am knowledgeable on his entire back catalogue because I’m not. However, sometimes going in to a concert only knowing a handful of songs can make the experience that much better and surprising!

On The Good Ship Lollipop as intro, Mika was met to rapturous applause and extremely loud cheers as he entered the stage discreetly!

The spotlight on him, Mika starts by telling a story about a girl who messed everything up in a somewhat perfect yet peculiar village. (Mika fans may be able to shed some light on that one! ) This story then led to his song Lollipop. The band and choir were sublime!

The atmosphere in the tent was silent at first but full of hardcore fans waiting to burst. Origin of Love was next followed by the intro of Big Girl (You are Beautiful) on the bass. A hilarious moment, the intro first went slightly wrong to which Mika just laughed but then he laughed again and said to the crowd;

At some point I will have to go and change my trousers as they are falling off.” A laughing audience he then continues;
I am going to change my trousers as they ARE falling off. There’s one thing that I fear and that is standing when I dont want to…..in my briefs”.

With that, Mika left us to his bassist Max Taylor to keep us entertained whilst he changed. Playing the intro to Big Girl on a loop and prancing around the stage, the crowd cheered Taylor on and were having a great time! Mika returned on stage sporting a red suit rather than his green suit in which he was originally in. Mika tells the audience how Cheltenham square is the fanciest place he has played in and that it’s posher outside than inside the venue which is rare.

Mika shared the story of watching a documentary with Victoria Wood in it at about 2am and how it inspired the Big Girl song. He kept the documentary playing as he took to the piano to write it! The song live, was engaging and fun and the crowd at this point, were up and dancing as Mika entered the audience to mingle. Running around and walking down one of the aisles in the stalls section, fans went crazy but were respectful of his space.

img_0466.png?w=1000

Tiny Love, Take It Easy and Ice Cream were next. Mika then addressed the crowd saying “The thing about starting off (his tour) at a beautiful festival like this, is we can try new things”. He then shares the story of meeting a talented young girl on zoom during the pandemic. He tells us of how he was asked to write a song for a French film ( Zodi et Téhu – Fréres du Désert) they wanted it in French but he wrote it in English and asked the young girl (Nomfundo Moh) to duet it with him. Having never met other than on zoom, the pair met for the first time last night in Cheltenham. Nomfundo had come over all the way from South Africa to join Mika. Awaiting her to take to the stage after quite the introduction, Mika laughs “she is here I promise, it’s because I changed the set list”.

Entering the stage, Nomfundo was met with a cheering crowd! Performing Feels Like Fire and rather spectacularly, this was the first time they had sung this song live together, what a privilege. Numfundo’s vocals were perfection and her voice soared throughout the big top tent! A standing ovation, Mika explains that there is another layer to the story. Saying how he had another idea for himself and Numfundo. He shares how he called her up to ask her to do a duet cover of Harry Belafonte and Miriam Makeba’s One More Dance. As he and Numfundo were in their cars in the way to rehearse, they both heard the news that Belfonte had sadly passed. A pure coincidence that they had chosen this song just days before, they dedicated the song to him. A comical song, the delivery was on point and very entertaining.

More fun moments came from Popular Song which I was delighted had a mash up with Popular from Wicked! The choir were especially fantastic during this song!

Underwater was beautifully atmospheric and Mika entered the crowd again. This time he stood up in one of the rows and used an audience member (Molly I believe?) phone to shine the torch. The house lights down, Mika asked the audience to shine their torches to represent stars. “Does Cheltenham know that about 2000 stars are about to explode on Cheltenham tonight” he says.

Rain was a great crowd moment when chanting “I hate days like this”and things went a bit club classic for YoYo. The band were simply brilliant and YoYo showcased their collective talents to play a multitude of songs.

Playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on the piano, Mika asked about the houses that surround the venue and if anyone in the audience lived there. Whispering, Mika says “this song is for everyone outside trying to sleep” and with that the band went LOUD with the intro of Grace Kelly. A roaring crowd, everyone who could, were up on their feet and members of the audience ran to the aisles to dance. The song live was loud and proud and so much fun!

We Are Golden was next which brought an even more energetic vibe! Seemingly closing his set with the track, the audience stomped their feet and clapped their hands rapidly until Mika returned to the stage to of course, end the night with Love Today!

None of the songs performed were exact to their studio version. Mika improvises on each track and makes them even more theatrical which brings something really unique to his shows. A masterful performer, there really is no-one quite like Mika.

Mika is a little bonkers, very dramatic and very energetic but he is also humble, witty and makes his audience feel incredibly special.

He was absolutely sensational and a phenomenal entertainer all round. There wasn’t a moment where people weren’t having fun! Mika put on a masterclass of entertainment and certainly set the bar high for the rest of the festival. He kicked off Cheltenham Jazz Festival in high fashion delivering a colourful, crazy and completely fabulous show!

Not only did Mika get me in the mood for a weeks worth of good music at Cheltenham Jazz Festival but also for a fun few days of Eurovision in May! Euro music is on the rise! We went from watching it for the comedy affect back in the day to now watching it for all the new amazing acts to discover and love! Mika is a big part of why Euro music is loved and why it’s becoming more popular.

You have gained a new, loyal fan in me tonight Mika! Thank you for such an engaging and fun evening that I won’t forget! And now, I am a fan of Grace Kelly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

BBC Radio 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001ljyj

Celebrating Eurovision

Scott and Rylan's Epic Eurovision Battle - Episode 2

Eurovision superfans Scott Mills and Rylan are going head-to-head in an Eurovision battle.

Both will bring their A-game and every ounce of their Eurovision knowledge and enthusiasm in response to a series of categories, as decided by Michelle Visage.

Which Eurovision song - which doesn't sound like a Eurovision song - is their favourite?

What is their favourite interval performance?

And - the big question - favourite Eurovision song of all-time!

That champion title is within reach so expect more high drama, high notes and high camp, it’s about the frocks, the shocks, the bangers and the bops... but who will win?

• Like 1

The Sunday Times Culture

7 May 2023

page 1

INTERVIEW

CAN SHE WIN IT?

WE’VE NEVER HAD A EUROVISION HOPEFUL LIKE MAE MULLER

The-Sunday-Times-Culture-May-07-2023_p01.jpg.57baaa7fbd75f37bce9b1eac02817ffb.jpg

Page 4 and 5

COVER STORY

CAN MAE WIN THE EURO FAME GAME?

Opinionated, brash and actually talented, Mae Muller isn’t your typical Eurovision pop star. Our 2023 contender has met the King, caused outrage with her anti-Tory tweets and now she’s getting a German passport

The masterplan for Mae Muller is as simple as the prize is huge: “Put you in front of people and they might love you.” Next Saturday night Muller’s management’s strategy will be put to the test when the 25-year-old represents the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest final in Liverpool. Last year the contest was watched by 161 million people on TV — which is a lot of eyeballs and potential streams in the age of Spotify. “Obviously we want to do well,” Muller says with a wry smile.

We meet a couple of weeks before the night that will change her life. Signed to the label EMI five years ago, the Londoner enjoyed a slow rise, interrupted by the pandemic. She released a few EPs before lockdown and toured with Little Mix. But this has to be her moment. Eurovision provides a rare spotlight for the aspirant pop star.

The 67-year history of Eurovision tells us much about the changing nature of fame — and us. A bold attempt to bring wartorn Europe together morphed into a glorious celebration of naff, once Terry Wogan and then Graham Norton got started. But Eurovision is being taken seriously again. Only World Cup finals can match its TV pulling power. Top of the Pops is long dead. Talent shows that once launched stars to millions, such as The X Factor, have disappeared. And, whisper it, Eurovision may even be cool — the 2021 winners, the Italian rockers Maneskin, are playing at Glastonbury this summer. Scott Mills, the DJ hosting Radio 2’s coverage, sums up the joy of the Eurovision. “I’m always jealous of friends who have a football team and chat about it in minute detail in the pub,” he says. “I never had that, but Eurovision gives me the same feeling, of all being in it together. There’s nothing like it.”

In the calm before the storm, though, nibbling fried eggs on toast in central London, Muller appears relaxed. Long, wavy dark hair tumbles over an ornate designer jacket. I spot a scorpion tattoo on the back of one hand. Her life, I say, must be busy at the moment. “Like boot camp. Nonstop for two months.”

Her new regimen started in March when I Wrote a Song was picked as the UK entry. Since then there have been rehearsals three to four times a week and so many outfits to try that Muller says it feels as if she has “spent 42 hours in fittings”. She has flown across the continent to perform at “Eurovision preparties”, where she struck up friendships with rivals before remembering it was a competition.

The UK entry, as it was last year with Sam Ryder, was chosen by the music management firm Tap Music. This is controversial because most countries get to vote on who represents them. But Ryder was a success after his rousing Space Man came second to the emotionally charged Kalush Orchestra from Ukraine (and he is the reason why the contest is being held in the UK after war made it impossible for Ukraine to host).

Tap Music, which manages Lana Del Rey, set four criteria to pick our singer for Europe: it wanted a) a woman after three successive years of men (two of whom came bottom), b) a good song, c) the ability to play live, and d) the right personality. The result? Muller. Which brings us to some tweets. She pulls a face, half-grimace and half-grin. In 2020 Muller’s social media highlights included, as Boris Johnson lay in hospital with Covid: “I don’t feel sorry for [him] . . . 100s [have] died due to Tory policies.” She did one about nurses “literally dying because of you” and, in the free school meals debacle, posted: “I hate this country.” The Daily Telegraph popped this on the front page, with a couple of MPs calling Muller a disgrace.

“It was surreal,” she says, utterly unfazed. “My mum called to say, ‘I’ve just had a heart attack. I was walking into Sainsbury’s and somebody had a newspaper with a massive picture of you.’ I was, like, ‘Oh yeah . . .’”

Does she regret the tweets? “No, because that’s how I felt,” she says. “I do, though, regret people taking them out of context. Me saying, ‘I hate this country’ is not ideal as I am representing this country. But I love where I’m from. It’s a privilege to be born here and that’s why I felt strongly. We deserve the best and at that time this amazing country wasn’t getting the best. We were being let down.”

Did she get a panicky call from the BBC or Tap? “No,” she says. “They didn’t make me scrub my personality. It made me think how lucky I am that I was born in a place where I can give my opinion.” Her tweets might yet help with voters on the night, given that Johnson is not too popular in Europe. “A lot of people who did have a problem with what I said were from the UK,” she says. “They said, ‘You’ve lost my vote.’ Well, you can’t vote for me anyway. A lot of young women follow me and it’s important that they see they can have a voice.”

Not at Eurovision? It’s officially a nonpolitical event. “Exactly. If you’re doing Eurovision you can’t speak out. But outside of Eurovision you can.”

Muller was born three months after the UK last won Eurovision with Katrina and the Waves in 1997. Her surname is from her grandfather Robert, a Jew who fled Germany for Britain and, thanks to Germany’s reconciliatory process of giving citizenship to descendants of Nazi persecution, the UK’s Eurovision entrant will soon have a German passport. She is in the middle of the process with her two aunts, four brothers and father, Matt. “It means we can live in Spain,” she says. It also means that she can tour the EU with minimal paperwork.

Her home was filled with music. By age nine she was in the video for Grace Kelly by Mika, the most ubiquitous song of 2007. Lily Allen made her want to become a singer and you can hear Allen’s sass in Muller’s honest, witty work. There’s a bit of Amy Winehouse attitude too. An early track, The Hoodie Song, is entirely about sex.

I Wrote a Song went into the UK Top 40 in March, making it the first UK Eurovision song to chart so early in more than a decade. With its Dua Lipa bounce and message of overcoming adversity — in this case a bad boyfriend — it fits into modern pop and the optimism of Eurovision. Muller came up with the idea before the song was honed by her and the songwriter Karen Poole (also represented by Tap).

I scour my emails — the first about Muller arrived in 2018. It has been a long road to stardom. “I’ve had a weird ride,” she admits. “But my label said not to rush. I came just before TikTok was a thing, so I didn’t need viral success overnight. They wanted to develop me and that is a dying idea because after TikTok took over it’s all about how fast you can go. That’s sad. The whole point of a label is to give you time, but now they don’t sign anyone unless they’ve had a viral hit already.”

The industry has never been so fractured. With all music available on Spotify, it is harder to break out of a fanbase to a wider audience. Muller has been on Jimmy Fallon’s US TV show and has millions of listeners, but those figures don’t translate into cash.

“It’s no longer, ‘My song is on the radio. I’ve made it.’ There are a lot of boxes to tick. It depends on what your version of success is, but it is weird. I’m sat at home with seven million monthly listeners and think, ‘But how well is it actually going?’ It can be jarring.”

Hence Eurovision. “It’s a global platform,” the EMI co-president Jo Charrington told Music Week. “And the fact it is in the UK means [Mae] will get recognition in her home market and hopefully become a household name. We have to be open to new opportunities.”

How are last year’s winners faring? Oleh Psiuk of the band Kalush tells me: “The victory showed us Ukrainians are not alone.” There were practical gains too. Kalush toured the world and raised $1.6 million to fund the army and restoration efforts. “We’re sad war has taken away our opportunity to host,” Psiuk says. “But we also believe, after the victory [over Russia], we will be able to. We would love to see Eurovision in 2024 return to Ukraine.”

Eurovision may not ever matter as much as it did for Ukraine, but for Muller and new generations of artists it offers a chance to get heard. She is proud of her debut album, due out this year, when she will also tour, and proud of its message to young women.

“Music is about what sells,” she says, “and labels are a business. It used to be, ‘Sex sells. Nobody wants to hear about crying and feeling.’ But it is changing. I wanted to be honest about my vulnerability. Women are told, especially in music, that we have to be a good role model. But you don’t have to be that all the time.”

A day after we meet Muller went to Liverpool for a Eurovision launch. She met King Charles III. “We’ll be egging you on,” he told her. “No pressure,” Muller said, no longer a star in waiting. Win on Saturday and she may meet him again. “Let’s go!”

THE TOP 5 RIVAL ACTS

1.  Loreen (Sweden) The 2012 winner returns with an anthem that nods to Abba’s The Winner Takes It All. Only one artist has won twice — Ireland’s Johnny Logan — yet Lorine Zineb Nora Talhaoui, 39, raised outside Stockholm in a family of MoroccanBerber origin, is a clear favourite.
  2.  Tvorchi (Ukraine) Nuclear alerts and dancers in gas masks will feature in Ukraine’s entry from a Nigerian-Ukrainian duo from Ternopil. This year’s song is darker than the country’s 2022 winning song and was written as fighters were inside the besieged Azovstal steel works. Will voters rally to the cause again?
  3. Alessandra (Norway) Norway’s record at Eurovision is hit and miss: it has won it three times but finished last more times (11) than any other country. Hopes this year rest on a 20-year-old singer who actually grew up in Italy. She is expected to deliver the evening’s best vocals.
  4.  La Zarra (France) The French aim to break their 45-year losing streak with their answer to Lady Gaga. Born and raised in Montreal in a MoroccanCanadian family, Fatima-Zahra Hafdi, 35, has a track made by a producer of Dua Lipa and Ellie Goulding hits.
  5.  Kaarija (Finland) The catchiest song of the evening will come from this 29-year-old Finnish rapper. Dressed in a neon-green bolero jacket and black spiked pants, the 29-year-old will woo voters with Latin dancers and a memorable hook. It’s a crowd-pleaser, but also very weird.

The-Sunday-Times-Culture-May-07-2023_-1-removebg-preview-2.png.36903cae50e0a7ca37a369698d257ced.png

The-Sunday-Times-Culture-May-07-2023_45.thumb.jpg.8a01450febdeb6959c24145edcd74d67.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4hQV8Q3HnHkNMxw4cHCfKhL/how-we-got-here-remembering-the-25-years-since-the-uk-last-hosted-eurovision

Updated May 2023

How we got here - remembering the 25 years since the UK last hosted Eurovision

2023 marks the 25th anniversary of Birmingham hosting the Eurovision Song Contest, the last time - until this year - that the UK staged the event.

Below we celebrate the highs and lows of what’s happened since - the UK entrants you may have forgotten, each year's winning entry, and a selection of standout Eurovision moments from the last quarter of a century...

Who represented the UK? Sam Ryder - Space Man (2nd)

Who won? Kalush Orchestra - Stefania (Ukraine)

Memorable moments: After years in the Eurovision doldrums, the UK enjoyed a huge upturn in fortunes in 2022. Sam Ryder's Space Man won the jury vote and finished second overall to Ukraine. With the winning nation unable to host the contest in 2023, the UK were invited to stage the event for the first time in 25 years, with Liverpool chosen as the host city.

Among the 2022 hosts in Italy was Mika - the video for his 2007 track Grace Kelly, features a certain Mae Muller, who will represent the UK in 2023!

Can 25-year-old Mae, born in 1997, the year the UK last won Eurovision, triumph at this year's event?

• Like 1

BBC

Radio 2’s Ultimate Eurovision Quiz

Updated in May 2023.

Can you avoid nul points with our Eurovision quiz?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5MSK8GjSQ29tcFK2d5R9RcN/radio-2-s-ultimate-eurovision-quiz

The UK's 2023 Eurovision entrant Mae Muller appeared in the video for which of these 2007 No.1 singles?

• Take That - Shine
  • Mika - Grace Kelly
  • Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby

The UK's 2023 Eurovision entrant Mae Muller appeared in the video for Mika's Grace Kelly, which topped the chart in January 2007, back when she was just nine-years-old. 

Mika, meanwhile, was among the hosts for the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest in Italy!

Screenshot2023-05-10at20-35-40BBC-Radio2sUltimateEurovisionQuiz.thumb.png.5e6f8de07b78243702dd86748c8d9746.png

• Like 3

HEAT

Issue 1242, 13/19 May 2023

heat-uk-13_05_2023.jpg.2519dfbe8140cd5a76c6e2f6a03c7a51.jpg

OUR HOPEFUL FLAG BEARER

Can the singer-songwriter bring it home?

London-born Mae Muller, 25, is the singer tasked with topping Sam Ryder9s performance last year, aka winning the entire contest. It hasn9t happened since the year Mae was born (Katrina And The Waves in 1997, fact fans), but she9s playing on home turf, and she9s got a banging song up her sleeve, so anything9s possible. It's helpfully called I Wrote A Song and it deals with that classic pop topic: doomed romance.

"I just wanted to write something empowering that would get everyone up of their seats,"
Mae says. "When we go through negative things like a break-up, or any kind of heartbreak, it's easy to focus on the negatives and get lost in that, but I wanted to focus on the empowerment."
And it seems to have worked – the song is the firrst UK Eurovision entry to debut in the UK Top 40 in more than a decade.

DEJA VU

But performing live in front of 180million viewers is different gravy altogether. Luckily, Mae already knows her way around the Liverpool Arena, as she was there supporting Little Mix in 2019 – and she's "definitely excited" about going back. For someone at such an early stage in their career, Mae says representing the UK in the world's biggest singing competition is a "huge honour, and the fact we're hosting just feels extra-special."

EUROPHILE

Mae is a life-long Eurovision fan. Her favorite performance ever is Sweden's Loreen singing Euphoria from 2012. "That song just does something to my soul," says Mae, adding, "My earliest memory was probably
Scooch in 2007. I loved how fun and camp it was… that's what Eurovision's all about."
The singer has also been familiarising herself with the competition.
"It's been great getting into the songs from this year after getting to know the other contestants," she says diplomatically. And if that weren't enough to prove her Eurovision credentials, she also appeared in 2022 host
Mika's video for his song Grace Kelly in 2007, aged just ten.
See – Eurovision through and through.

page 36 and 37

HeatUK13_05.2023_p_3637.thumb.jpg.4c2d8304b0677b012a53c1eff5a2e535.jpg

• Like 1

BBC

Radio 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001lnql

Saturday, 13 May 2023

Claudia Winkleman

A Eurovision Extravaganza!

Claudia settles in on this Saturday morning to talk about the wonder of Eurovision with special guests Mika, comedian Jayde Adams and the host of the Eurovisioncast podcast Mans Zelmerlow live from Liverpool.

AEurovisionExtravaganza!.thumb.jpg.28e5f335874a5822034432b9b4273c31.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/05/07/kings-coronation-concert-live-performances-windsor-castle/

Coronation Concert: 'Pa, we are all so proud of you,' Prince William tells father

8:56PM

A truly moving moment from Lucy

Lucy, a 13-year-old who is blind and unable to hold a conversation due to her developmental delays, is next up, playing piano.

She performs a note-perfect rendition of Bach - Prelude in C Major, having risen to fame on Channel 4's The Piano where her talents were recognised by Mika and Lang Lang.

lucycoronationconcert-1.thumb.jpg.a445f8a7010ed9072d838893051f5cfe.jpg

YouTube

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

BBC

Radio 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001lnql

Saturday, 13 May 2023

Claudia Winkleman

A Eurovision Extravaganza!

Claudia settles in on this Saturday morning to talk about the wonder of Eurovision with special guests Mika, comedian Jayde Adams and the host of the Eurovisioncast podcast Mans Zelmerlow live from Liverpool.

AEurovisionExtravaganza!.thumb.jpg.28e5f335874a5822034432b9b4273c31.jpg

Thanks a million Eriko :flowers2: :hug:

• Like 1