Keep It Simple - Song and Lyrics Discussion

mellody

32 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I am not sure how proud I am of this knowledge :aah:

It just shows you're 100% a Mika fan. :naughty:

6 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Definitely the French part is more "nice" and more didactic 🤣

I am sure people will not get the second meaning.

Like with Lollipop ( it not about candy) or Ice Cream (it's not about ice cream) 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, especially the French audience, not all of whom might speak English, they will think from the French lyrics that it's a totally innocent love song. 🙈 :lmfao:  Well, I'm glad the French parts add some depth - it's not really Mika's best lyrics, but I guess most people who listen to a song on the radio won't care about the lyrics anyway, and the song itself is catchy and fun. Guess it's not meant to be deep but just to make you smile, and that's what it does.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, mellody said:

It just shows you're 100% a Mika fan. :naughty:

Yeah, especially the French audience, not all of whom might speak English, they will think from the French lyrics that it's a totally innocent love song. 🙈 :lmfao:  Well, I'm glad the French parts add some depth - it's not really Mika's best lyrics, but I guess most people who listen to a song on the radio won't care about the lyrics anyway, and the song itself is catchy and fun. Guess it's not meant to be deep but just to make you smile, and that's what it does.

I love that Mika is naughty. The whole song is about being in love with the doctor anyway :lmfao::wub2: And the doc is a man right? The only medecine Mika is taking :thumb_yello:  Is this a coming out song? :yes: and such a happy one :wub2:

"Keep it simple baby" :swoon:

This song makes me so happy :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: 

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, crazyaboutmika said:

I love that Mika is naughty. The whole song is about being in love with the doctor anyway :lmfao::wub2: And the doc is a man right? The only medecine Mika is taking :thumb_yello:  Is this a coming out song? :yes: and such a happy one :wub2:

"Keep it simple baby" :swoon:

Well, "coming out" probably is the wrong word, we know about Mika's sexuality. I don't know about Vianney, anyway "doctor" can be male or female (so maybe it's a male doc for Mika and a female one for Vianney? :teehee:) ... I had a similar thought because I thought "Mary Jane" was referring to a woman, like I don't want a woman, but my doctor... - now, with Michelle's explanation, I see it isn't a woman - but maybe it's meant to have a double meaning, so it can be interpreted either way? :dunno_grin: 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mellody said:

Well, "coming out" probably is the wrong word, we know about Mika's sexuality. I don't know about Vianney, anyway "doctor" can be male or female (so maybe it's a male doc for Mika and a female one for Vianney? :teehee:) ... I had a similar thought because I thought "Mary Jane" was referring to a woman, like I don't want a woman, but my doctor... - now, with Michelle's explanation, I see it isn't a woman - but maybe it's meant to have a double meaning, so it can be interpreted either way? :dunno_grin: 

Yes I believe there are double meanings in the song :thumb_yello: and that Mika and Vianney must have laughed a lot when they wrote the song.

Yeah well maybe coming out is the wrong world and telling the doc he loves him/her is better :thumb_yello:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mellody said:

Well, given that he's talking about "medicine" to me it's pretty clear what definition of "Mary Jane" he means, though I haven't heard it called that for a long time! But I think the double-entendre is there, too.

I love the song -- as a lot of you have already said, it's fun and funny and not to be taken seriously at all. But having said that, I'm really bothered by the mistakes in the lyrics video! 

I'm pretty sure that it's not "I'll been taking", it's "I been taking", which is still not grammatically correct, but it IS the way people talk. Nobody says "I'll been taking" ! Unless maybe they were taking some Mary Jane :rolleyes:

And I feel like the line "catch a break, chuck it to me," must be completely wrong. Not to mention that it makes absolutely no sense to me  :lol3:   I don't hear that, but I can't make out what's actually sung. It does sound like the line starts with "won't you, can't you see...?" not "Oh can't you see?" but as for the rest? :dunno:

But anyway, I really love the song and it's SO GOOD to hear something new from Mika! :fangurl:

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

But anyway, I really love the song and it's SO GOOD to hear something new from Mika! :fangurl:

Oh yes, I love him singing his tongue in cheek lyrics with a funny and happy tune. It gives me “he’s back!” vibes and I can’t wait to hear what more he has in store for us. If this was on a fun afternoon, imagine what else he wrote? :cheer:

Anyway, with all this analyzing of the lyrics… aren’t you all very curious to see what his doctor looks like!!!???? :biggrin2:

• Haha 7

I love it!! :lustslow: and thanks for the translation. I'm pretty sure Mary Jane was in the room when they wrote those lyrics. 

Now I get why he said it's written at 3AM. That is valuable information :naughty:

• Haha 8

6 hours ago, krysady said:

And a bit of Origin Of Love?

Ah, I get the reference now, "love is a drug and you are my cigarette" ... didn't think of that yesterday night, it was late. 😅 So yes, I'd say you're right. From what I remember, Mary Jane was involved in that song as well. :teehee:  :facepalm: Still, it's VERY different except for this reference.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, mellody said:

Ah, I get the reference now, "love is a drug and you are my cigarette" ... didn't think of that yesterday night, it was late. 😅 So yes, I'd say you're right. From what I remember, Mary Jane was involved in that song as well. :teehee:  :facepalm: Still, it's VERY different except for this reference.

1 hour ago, Bren said:

I love it!! :lustslow: and thanks for the translation. I'm pretty sure Mary Jane was in the room when they wrote those lyrics. 

Now I get why he said it's written at 3AM. That is valuable information :naughty:

Just imagine the two of them coming home to their partners at 6 am and be like.

”Honey, don’t get mad…. But I was with Mika/Vianney and there was a woman involved…. And another man…. And we had SO MUCH fun!!!” 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, dcdeb said:

And I feel like the line "catch a break, chuck it to me," must be completely wrong. Not to mention that it makes absolutely no sense to me  :lol3:   I don't hear that, but I can't make out what's actually sung. It does sound like the line starts with "won't you, can't you see...?" not "Oh can't you see?" but as for the rest? :dunno:

I agree, I also hear "won't you, can't you see". Then I also hear "catch a" - but not break, that's a different word. Sounds more like "breathe", but that doesn't make sense. And then maybe "and get to me"? Or "catch a ?? of ??" ... or if it's "chuck it to me", maybe where they say "break", he actually sings a word that's another word for some kind of drug/pill? Probably some slang words like Jimmy and Mary Jane. :naughty: @holdingyourdrink, any idea? :lol3:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mellody said:

I agree, I also hear "won't you, can't you see". Then I also hear "catch a" - but not break, that's a different word. Sounds more like "breathe", but that doesn't make sense. And then maybe "and get to me"? Or "catch a ?? of ??" ... or if it's "chuck it to me", maybe where they say "break", he actually sings a word that's another word for some kind of drug/pill? Probably some slang words like Jimmy and Mary Jane. :naughty: @holdingyourdrink, any idea? :lol3:

I hear:

”won’t you, can’t you see… catch a bree(?) chuck it to me”

Bree according to Google is a broth :biggrin2: I have no double innuendo slang equivalent for it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I hear:

”won’t you, can’t you see… catch a bree(?) chuck it to me”

Bree according to Google is a broth :biggrin2: I have no double innuendo slang equivalent for it.

Broth could equal brothal which I believe is where hookers used to be based 

Not innuendo and doesn't really make sense in the line 

11 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I am listening to the song with a huge smile on my face.

Vianney singing about his feelings.

Mika singing about his……..needs :lol3:

Definitely a smiling morning, listening to the song and reading this thread 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

Only listened to the song twice and I really love it!

Maybe not my absolute favourite duet but it's certainly a happy and catchy vibe. Before I came here to check the lyrics I already thought it might be a little naughty :teehee:....  and of course Mika is behind THOSE lyrics! :lol3:

I like how it has a balance between the English and French which also accentuates that naughty yet innocent balance too! It's a great song to dance along to and not take too seriously.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Just imagine the two of them coming home to their partners at 6 am and be like.

”Honey, don’t get mad…. But I was with Mika/Vianney and there was a woman involved…. And another man…. And we had SO MUCH fun!!!” 

and here we come to another song: I Only Love You When I'm Drunk. Or rather I Only Love You When I'm Stone :lol3:

5 hours ago, dcdeb said:

And I feel like the line "catch a break, chuck it to me," must be completely wrong.

Maybe it's "brie", the French cheese :lol3:

4 hours ago, Bren said:

Actually I think that's the most important information,  explains everything! :aah:

3 hours ago, mellody said:

Ah, I get the reference now, "love is a drug and you are my cigarette" ... didn't think of that yesterday night, it was late. 😅 

Yes, the similar idea that "you are my medicine"  ... and from how I see it, he is not literally talking about his doctor, it's more like the lover being seen as a "doctor" who can heal his....   well, his body parts in pain :teehee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, mellody said:

Honestly, I don't want to accidentally insult whoever created the lyric video, but I make edits on Capcut from time to time, and the way those lyrics appear on screen with that effect looks a lot like the effects you have on Capcut to create auto-lyrics 😅. You can simply put in any song and Capcut will transcribe the lyrics, though obviously if someone mumbles a bit the AI has trouble recognizing the words and just guesses something. I feel like that happened here too, with the grammar mistakes and strange sentences 😅. Either that or it was a French intern who really struggled with English, but in any case I think we can trust our own ears more than the "official" lyrics, as is often the case with Mika 😅😂

• Like 4