Keep It Simple - Song and Lyrics Discussion

mellody

12 hours ago, Hero said:

Not that he was actually having to get up to pee so much.  

I think I did not expressed myself clearly. Yes, he doesn't have this problem. But it's a thing that he mentioned as a thing that wound annoy him when he gets older. He was speaking about men in general.

It was a reference to your "urologist" :bleh:  

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 6:20 PM, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

For me this song is about communication (or communication problems) between two persons being together but they can't expresse their feelings. So the other one feels lost because he is expecting something to be said or done and it's not.

I don't involve here this refrain about Jimmy and Mary Jane :bleh:

Person 1 (Mika) can't sleep and is looking for person 2 (Vianney)  to help him because he doesn't want to take ... something... to feel better  (well, sex can be one of good ideas :wink2:  )

Then person 2 replies

Oh, so maybe I am the problem?

When I suffer I don't want to talk about it. 

When you are in love and you can't express your feelings you can end up alone.

Person 1

Let's don't complicate our lives, I will take (accept)  anything from you

Person 2

We are building walls around our emotions

Yes, sometimes people do this

But all in all when you are suffering your soul becomes a mess

Person 1

Let's don't complicate our lives, I will take (accept) anything from you

Interesting that you see it like this, I had just been wondering the last few days whether the talk between Mika and Vianney is meant to be 2 people or rather an inner monologue. My thought was that it's the latter. The protagonist of the song wants sex, but he's wondering if maybe it's his fault and he wouldn't be alone if he was more open about his feelings.

It's still not really clear to me whether the song is more about sex or more about love... or maybe about different ways to solve the problem of how to relax and let go of the everyday problems and responsibilities? By having sex, and/or by showing your emotions (or by having a Mary Jane, but that's (luckily) not what Mika wants :lol3:). Or by eating cheese, ofc. :glasses3: :naughty:

If it wasn't for the Jimmy part, I could totally relate to the hurting jaw as a sign of stress, because I always clench my jaw without even noticing. :dunno_grin:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mellody said:

It's still not really clear to me whether the song is more about sex or more about love...

I think it’s about simply being together. I agree with@Anna Ko Kolkowska, the protagonist is overcomplicating things by being too much in their head about feelings and emotions. Whereas it could be as simple as just letting go of expectations, enjoying eachother’s company and having fun. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mellody said:

It's still not really clear to me whether the song is more about sex or more about love.

To me it sounds like this is exactly the conflict that the two people in the song are discussing.

I also see it as a conversation between two people but because they want different things, there is such a disconnect that it doesn't seem like they're talking to each other at all.

The first person is saying that he wants to keep the relationship (which maybe had previously just been physical and light-hearted) as it is but the other person wants to deepen the relationship emotionally.

• Like 1

It's interesting how both parts of the text can be interpreted in both ways, as simplifying or complicating things. You could say that having sex is a simple way to feel better, or you could say that expecting your partner to make you feel better complicates the relationship. Maybe that's what the doctor refers to, because it's a doctor's job to make you feel better... tho ofc not in the way the lyrics suggest, THAT would definitely complicate things. :facepalm: :lmfao: And the French part you could interpret as overthinking / overcomplicating, or you could look at it in the way that being open about your emotions makes a relationship easier. 

I can't see the 2 people talking as a dialogue, but to me it's either an inner monologue, or 2 people telling their different stories and coming to the same conclusion, to "keep it simple".

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 5:35 PM, Hero said:

The Internet tells me that a 'brick' is a kilogram block of Mary Jane (or cocaine, or crack)... but he doesn't want no MJ...

Ahum. :biggrin2:

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

OHHH!!! :facepalm:

Wellllll, cocaine is also not very good for your teeth :biggrin2: 

Maybe it's like Karin suggested... in the 1st verse he don't want no MJ, but by the 4th verse he's realised a brick of MJ is as good as he's gonna get! :teehee:

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Hero said:

Ahum. :biggrin2:

Oh, I missed that you found already the slang for "brick" :doh:

Anyway, after the latest performance, it's even more confusing, we should ask for help from Vianney :aah:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

But I think the vast majority of the fans are not the kind of doctor he is looking for :lol3:

Well, he doesn't like ice cream, but that didn't stop us waving cones around. :fisch:

• Haha 1

I have a different concern on the Mika front. Who has noticed that Mika is incredibly thin? He now reminds me of “the thin white duke”, that was David Bowie.

I guess a lot of people have seen the last 2 photos that Mika posted in his stories on Instagram? His upper body is naked and he is wearing those baggy pants. I have noticed for some time now that he is getting thinner.

So the song “ keep it simple” has a very different meaning for me now. Him singing “I’m so cold, comfort come for me, it’s 3am I’m feverely, help me doctor heal my pain cause  I don’t want a Mary Jane”…………….. is this cold turkey?  And also when he sings “ every bone and every part of me is aching………… anyway that’s my speculation, I could have it all wrong and I very much hope that I have.

A792D43B-4E27-425C-A0D8-B35CAFEE10BE.png

E5886231-7ECF-466E-B1C1-21C9D62EA237.png

And here at a private gig

22F9ECEB-AA13-4086-9FDD-6A2E3C9CDB0B.png

7 minutes ago, Patricia Birden said:

40 is not old, and Mika is incredible fit at his concerts, well he was in the summertime last year, he looked fantastic.

I think you all have to take on board that “Mika” lives in the celebrity  world, so does he really want a birthday gift with a celebrity wishing him “ a happy birthday”?  Perhaps a lot of us fancies this as a birthday present for ourself, especially if it came from Mika. Anyway I’m just saying.

I have a different concern on the Mika front. Who has noticed that Mika is incredibly thin? He now reminds me of “the thin white duke”, that was David Bowie.

I guess a lot of people have seen the last 2 photos that Mika posted in his stories on Instagram? His upper body is naked and he is wearing those baggy pants. I have noticed for some time now that he is getting thinner.

So the song “ keep it simple” has a very different meaning for me now. Him singing “I’m so cold, comfort come for me, it’s 3am I’m feverely, help me doctor heal my pain cause  I don’t want a Mary Jane”…………….. is this cold turkey?  And also when he sings “ every bone and every part of me is aching………… anyway that’s my speculation, I could have it all wrong and I very much hope that I have.

FAEE8DE6-4188-43CF-9A0D-54FB5A9498A4.png

9DBDD580-030E-4305-9AFB-AC5FDAA92590.png

Honestly, I thought that too (because of the pictures) but I was afraid to say anything because I didn't want anyone to worry... 

Edited by Tunde Pfeffer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Patricia Birden said:

is this cold turkey?

I had to google that first, but in fact, I can see your point, relating to the lyrics. Well, we all know he tends to drink a bit too much at times, and he did say that he can get drunk and party one day and get back to work the next day... but despite being very thin, he still looks very good and not sick at all, so idk, I don't have any experience with that. Seeing him take off his shirt at the Vars gig I was worried because he looked extremely thin and not very healthy, but I blamed that on the cold. What makes you think of cold turkey though, wouldn't the symptoms be the same if you did a detox under medical supervision? After all, he IS calling for his doctor in the song. Or is the "doctor" in the song the drug (alcohol or whatever else)? Interesting theory to see it from this point, in any case. Then how would you interpret the French part of the lyrics? Maybe that getting drunk makes you show your emotions more?

I mean, it would certainly look like him that IF he had any problems with addiction, he'd count on his strong will instead of getting help. A thought I also had, but didn't write it down because I found it a bit far-fetched, was that the song could be about sex addiction... but well, the element of addiction (to whatever) in this song probably isn't too far fetched, if several people can see it. Vianney said about the song that it came from a conversation about letting go to feel better. So it could also be about letting go of all the things you think you have to do, as pictured in the video animation for the Gala. We also know that Mika is a workaholic, and if you see that in the literal sense, it means addicted to work. Maybe he finds it hard to let go of that "studio brain" of the last several months? And it wouldn't surprise me if he forgot to eat at times while he's in the studio, which would explain why he's so thin.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mellody said:

I had to google that first, but in fact, I can see your point, relating to the lyrics. Well, we all know he tends to drink a bit too much at times, and he did say that he can get drunk and party one day and get back to work the next day... but despite being very thin, he still looks very good and not sick at all, so idk, I don't have any experience with that. Seeing him take off his shirt at the Vars gig I was worried because he looked extremely thin and not very healthy, but I blamed that on the cold. What makes you think of cold turkey though, wouldn't the symptoms be the same if you did a detox under medical supervision? After all, he IS calling for his doctor in the song. Or is the "doctor" in the song the drug (alcohol or whatever else)? Interesting theory to see it from this point, in any case. Then how would you interpret the French part of the lyrics? Maybe that getting drunk makes you show your emotions more?

I mean, it would certainly look like him that IF he had any problems with addiction, he'd count on his strong will instead of getting help. A thought I also had, but didn't write it down because I found it a bit far-fetched, was that the song could be about sex addiction... but well, the element of addiction (to whatever) in this song probably isn't too far fetched, if several people can see it. Vianney said about the song that it came from a conversation about letting go to feel better. So it could also be about letting go of all the things you think you have to do, as pictured in the video animation for the Gala. We also know that Mika is a workaholic, and if you see that in the literal sense, it means addicted to work. Maybe he finds it hard to let go of that "studio brain" of the last several months? And it wouldn't surprise me if he forgot to eat at times while he's in the studio, which would explain why he's so thin.

Oh, I didn't know what cold turkey means. I only thought that Mika is sick/has an illness, not that it's an addiction. But maybe it is, I don't know. I was thin my whole life, right now I'm 45 kg and that's my normal weight (I'm 36 years old), but last time I was as thin as Mika in those pictures, I was ill (just didn't know it at the time)...

Edited by Tunde Pfeffer
English grammar is a b... :D
  • Like 1

Anyway, like I said, I’m only speculating. I hope that he will put some weight on soon, maybe he will go back to building up his muscles, he certainly looks much better that way. But of course I also understand that with fitness you have to get into a routine and keep it going. And being very busy in life is hard to fit the fitness in. That’s why so many people struggle with keeping fitness going.

Well I hope Mika is fine. I send him lots and lots of virtual love 💕 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mellody said:

So it could also be about letting go of all the things you think you have to do, as pictured in the video animation for the Gala.

In the animation in the backdrop during the song, there was also a bomb illustrated and the word “death”. I saw it when watching the Gala and thought that was peculiar for the song. Then again, very dark lyrics and happy tune is exactly Mika’s thing.

And all of us thought it was about his Jimmy, but it was in fact about Mary Jane all along!?! :facepalm:

• Haha 1

And also: Mika is very lean, especially in the beginning of his career. Comes with the territory of being a very tall man. I do believe he is very conscious of what he eats and about his weight, because they do say the camera adds 10 lbs… but he doesn’t look so thin that it wouldn’t fit his body type. 

And he is tucking in his tummy in the shirtless pic. None of us stand like that :lol3: but of course I can only speak for myself! 

Edited by holdingyourdrink
  • Like 3

Are we :offtopic:? :lmfao:

I remember Mika's summer pics two summers ago in which he was already that skinny...maybe we should cook for him as his birthday gift :wink2:  :bleh: 

I think he is very busy as he still has his albums in the making and TV shows and film promotion and he could use a holiday for sure...

• Like 2