Mika @ London KOKO 22 Feb 2007

Sunny Monkey

I got my tickets on eBay (and at a cheaper price then the touts) and they were so totally worth it!!.. As for crashing the after party.. was just a case of luck and being in the right place at the right time and using stellar networking!!! Not sure I would be that lucky again :)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right.. here goes!

After the show.. my sister and I was loitering around waiting for the place to clear (cos my sis and I were right at the front!) Had a lovely chat with the lovely Jemmalee and was looking for the loos and making our way out (was very reluctant to leave and actually wanted another drink but they closed the bar!) I spotted Mikey Choi, Mika's Bass Guitarist and just went over to chat to him! He then invited us to the after party!!! Such a nice guy!!

My sis and I grabbed ourselves a drink were playing it cool, wondering what to do next.. where to stand.. who to talk to ..spotting all the band members :band: , Secret Society people and Mika's sister in the crowd. :cool:

We managed to find a spot and there was a lot of commotion... next thing I know.. Mika's just walked past.. heading towards the VIP area.. shortly followed by.. Brian May himself! :punk: .... I couldn't believe my eyes! I followed them all towards the VIP area and planted myself nearby. Trying to get a picture somehow whilst trying to maintain my cool and not look like a crazed stalker fan. :naughty:

We eventually had to find the loos.. and on the way back bumped into Martin Waugh, Mika's Guitarist and grabbed a photo op. Stuck around to take a couple of photos of Brian May leaving (though not very good ones) and Mika was also making an exit.

We stuck around a bit more and grabbed photos with Cherisse and Mikey (and thanked him again for getting us in!)

The party was winding down and we were on our last drinks when Mika’s Manager, Jerry, came over to us and offered us both a cocktail! :blush-anim-cl: Was brilliant! Had a lovely conversation with him – was introduced to Stars? Mika’s assistant and also their marketing guy (can’t remember his name) who was quite tipsy!

My sister and I were literally last to leave KOKO at 12:30am, with security bolting the doors as we left… after showing Jerry the best direction to stand to catch a cab back to Soho, my sis and I jumped on the night bus home with HUGE smiles on our faces!

Freakin awesome night! :yay: I am still beaming today!! Can't wait for 14th May!!!!

For some minutes I was living a marvellous life. But then I finished reading and realized that this was YOUR life. Lucky you:mf_rosetinted:

I am only just recovering ( I had 6 double vodka's, don't drink kids!!)

It was amazing! (and that was just meeting you guy's). I had such a good time! I must apoligise that I may of talked during over my shoulder (Please don't hate me! I was only expressing that I want it played at my funeral!).

I will let you know more when I have recovered! I woke up this morning in a pile of glitter and next to the biggest balloon you have ever seen!

MIKA ROCKS!

I am only just recovering ( I had 6 double vodka's, don't drink kids!!)

It was amazing! (and that was just meeting you guy's). I had such a good time! I must apoligise that I may of talked during over my shoulder (Please don't hate me! I was only expressing that I want it played at my funeral!).

I will let you know more when I have recovered! I woke up this morning in a pile of glitter and next to the biggest balloon you have ever seen!

MIKA ROCKS!

:roftl:

I heard you say that lol, was one of the quotes of the evening!

I was the guy with glasses standing at the front to your left :thumb_yello:

Quite surprised by this idea that artists should have to pad out their set with covers of other people's work. I would have thought that if you went to a concert that you'd want to hear music by that artist not him/her doing covers of other people's songs...I remember going to the Feeling's concert and admittedly they did a cover of Radio Ga Ga - which was perhaps the best song that night...but mika's songs are going to be better than any covers...so what's the point?

The point is that usually when you have just one album out, you sing B-sides or covers just to make the concert longer so that people can enjoy it longer... Moreover he already did some covers so why not... And it's kinda challenging to perform a cover in ur own style... Tori Amos on her last tour did 2 covers per night for example and I was just amazed by how she managed to sing the song in her own way... And what's wrong with doing covers, you get to see the artist more and you usually enjoy them... There is no point in saying that covers are pointless... But yes Mika song would have been better, so he could have tried some new ones...

Also the comment about the setlist being the same as the 'free' concerts is a bit misleading...they may have been 'free' but there wasn't guaranteed entry...in other words people paid tonight for the privilege of getting in to see what, from the looks of photos already on the web...was pretty spectacular!

I meant, nobody paid to get a ticket and they had the same concert, don't think it's fair ;) I think we should have had some more... but confettis or fat dancers, this is not what i call more ;)

I can just imagine the complaints people would make if he performed songs which weren't available on the album or in single format...it seems perfectly sensible that on what is ultimately his first proper UK tour he should do no more than just the songs on the album.

He can, but then he also can expect critics such as mine... I think you took it too far when you say that people would complain if he sang new songs (or not on the album) as far as i know, thousands of artists did that already... Moreover it's just a good opportunity to see how the public reacts to those songs!

I went to the show he did in Brighton ages ago and we were ecstatic at the end of that...and it only had 6/7 songs! 10 songs is a luxury I'm yet to experience!

As you say, "ages ago"... the album was not out... not N°1...no buzz around you can't compare...

I wrote a review on a French forum and my friends don't want to pay 25€ for 40 minutes so they didn't book tickets, I told them it was good though and that he would perform longer maybe but it's not worth the risk for them! It's way too short for a concert! He could get booed in Paris if he performed 40min

I wouldn't say spoilt as such, it was more of an annoyance. I was right at the front stage left though by the speaker so I couldn't really hear the talking so much- might have been worse further back. It was noticable though.

Hey hey, who were you? I was right at the front, stage left as well!

Hey I know who you are now! You were standing to my left and beside my friend! Who was it that offered you into the after party??? I wanted to get into that! :(

Yeah that was me, your friend being the cute flirty american lady then lol, and Sam right? Remember you aswell, standing to my right.

It was the big security guy standing guard at the foot of the stairs. I think he took pity on my mum, but unfortunatly we had to disapeer. I only just found out today that when i left my mum she met Brian May and smiled at him but didn't know who he was, but he was on his way into the aftershow.

Man i wish we didn't have to leave so soon.

Kitty Daisy and Lewis .. were interesting :original: they are only young bless em! 15, 16 and 18! Apparently they have been supporting gigs for a few years!! Quite entertaining, perhaps a bit of an acquired taste, but they are very talented nonetheless!

Kitty Daisy and Lewis .. were interesting :original: they are only young bless em! 15, 16 and 18! Apparently they have been supporting gigs for a few years!! Quite entertaining, perhaps a bit of an acquired taste, but they are very talented nonetheless!

Yeah I'm not doubting their talent one bit. I have to admit i don't think i have ever seen a band swap or play as many instruments as them.

Just wasn't to my liking, or taste. They where all british right? I found it highly amusing them singing in an american accent lol.

Just wasn't to my liking, or taste. They where all british right? I found it highly amusing them singing in an american accent lol.

Yea, they are all British... you can find them easily on MySpace...they certainly are a niche act! They were good, but could be better... connect with the audience maybe...look out to them, instead of at the floor. I really liked the eldest girl (in the black dress), she seemed to have more energy then the other 2... I was enjoying it but I'll admit that I was itching for them to get off so Mika could come on :naughty:

• 3 months later...

I really appreciate the way you put things into reflection, I'm sure we could be good friends.

I have to say I don't agree with everything you said.

I know I'm answering an old message but it may be interesting to talk about it now.

Now that we can enjoy the covers, it's obvious nobody complains. But it may have been different at the beginning as everything was new for everyone. Things are changing so quickly !!

Then I'll mention one more thing: I'm not sure the songs we can hear in a concert really need to appear in any album. Most musiciens try their songs in concerts before they chose to keep them, and to record them or not. It may be a wonderful proof of faith and trust to put the judgement in the public hands. Don't you think so?

Sophie :Update:

Quite surprised by this idea that artists should have to pad out their set with covers of other people's work. I would have thought that if you went to a concert that you'd want to hear music by that artist not him/her doing covers of other people's songs...I remember going to the Feeling's concert and admittedly they did a cover of Radio Ga Ga - which was perhaps the best song that night...but mika's songs are going to be better than any covers...so what's the point?

Also the comment about the setlist being the same as the 'free' concerts is a bit misleading...they may have been 'free' but there wasn't guaranteed entry...in other words people paid tonight for the privilege of getting in to see what, from the looks of photos already on the web...was pretty spectacular!

I'm sure Mika must have tons more songs that didn't make it onto the album, for a start we know of 'satellite' which was on the Grace Kelly 7". But at the same time...I can just imagine the complaints people would make if he performed songs which weren't available on the album or in single format...it seems perfectly sensible that on what is ultimately his first proper UK tour he should do no more than just the songs on the album.

I went to the show he did in Brighton ages ago and we were ecstatic at the end of that...and it only had 6/7 songs! 10 songs is a luxury I'm yet to experience!

• 5 weeks later...
Sorry, who's Luke?

Took me forever to find that exact quote. I saw a copy on this on Luke's myspace and felt compleled to join this forum and reply to it in that vaguely stalkerish fan way ;)

I actually only found Luke's myspace today - a friend of mine had recommend i went and checked out his music because it is the kind i like - and i loved his sound in both an instrumental and a vocal sense, so i was browsing his myspace whilst listening and found lots of mica vids and thought he was just a fan till i spotted him on stage.

Up until then i had actually though 'mika's keyboardist/pianist' was pretty cute but i could never find i what he was called. So the internet has made one girl very happy today :P

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

By Ludovic Hunter-Tilney

Published: March 1 2007 18:13 | Last updated: March 1 2007 18:13

Mika’s rise has been rapid. The Beirut-born singer – real name Mica Penniman – has scored UK number ones with his first single, “Grace Kelly”, and his debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion. His music is as bubbly, gaudy and saucy as a hen party, and it zeroes in with hidden ruthlessness on the British public’s insatiable appetite for camp.

Announcing himself tonight with a falsetto yelp reminiscent of The Darkness, he played a short set whose songs veered often within the space of a single beat between being catchy and irritating. They were unashamedly derivative – a sprinkling of Elton John, a helping of Robbie Williams, a lot of Scissor Sisters and Queen – as if distilled from some flamboyant pop formula. Not since Williams bellowed “Let me entertain you” has a performer been so blatantly eager to please.

I went harbouring deep misgivings, having found the album exhaustingly hyperactive, but was partially won round. The high vocals and disco abandon of “Relax, Take It Easy” were indisputably entertaining, “Billy Brown” with its jaunty horns and Britpop chorus came across like a sugar-coated Sgt Pepper, and I even found myself enjoying his inane ode to voluptuous women, “Big Girls”, which was illustrated by two plump dancers in cowboy hats. Never accuse Mika of subtlety.

In person, the singer looked like a cross between Rupert Everett circa Another Country and a children’s television presenter. Floppy-haired, beaming, bouncing up and down, he only faltered when he tried to slow the tempo and show off his lesser-seen sensitive side.

“My Interpretation” was a terrible power-ballad, and a moody number oddly reminiscent of Radiohead featuring a cellist and counter tenor (Mika briefly attended the Royal College of Music) was all but drowned out by audience chatter. In contrast, “Lollipop” – a song so sugary and childishly upbeat as to verge on imbecility – was greeted with fervour. Resistance was useless.

Tel 0870 4325527

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2008

I can't wait for the British new album rewiews to come :meow:

By Ludovic Hunter-Tilney

Mika’s rise has been rapid. The Beirut-born singer – real name Mica Penniman – has scored UK number ones with his first single, “Grace Kelly”, and his debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion. His music is as bubbly, gaudy and saucy as a hen party, and it zeroes in with hidden ruthlessness on the British public’s insatiable appetite for camp.

Announcing himself tonight with a falsetto yelp reminiscent of The Darkness, he played a short set whose songs veered often within the space of a single beat between being catchy and irritating. They were unashamedly derivative – a sprinkling of Elton John, a helping of Robbie Williams, a lot of Scissor Sisters and Queen – as if distilled from some flamboyant pop formula. Not since Williams bellowed “Let me entertain you” has a performer been so blatantly eager to please.

I went harbouring deep misgivings, having found the album exhaustingly hyperactive, but was partially won round. The high vocals and disco abandon of “Relax, Take It Easy” were indisputably entertaining, “Billy Brown” with its jaunty horns and Britpop chorus came across like a sugar-coated Sgt Pepper, and I even found myself enjoying his inane ode to voluptuous women, “Big Girls”, which was illustrated by two plump dancers in cowboy hats. Never accuse Mika of subtlety.

In person, the singer looked like a cross between Rupert Everett circa Another Country and a children’s television presenter. Floppy-haired, beaming, bouncing up and down, he only faltered when he tried to slow the tempo and show off his lesser-seen sensitive side.

“My Interpretation” was a terrible power-ballad, and a moody number oddly reminiscent of Radiohead featuring a cellist and counter tenor (Mika briefly attended the Royal College of Music) was all but drowned out by audience chatter. In contrast, “Lollipop” – a song so sugary and childishly upbeat as to verge on imbecility – was greeted with fervour. Resistance was useless.

Tel 0870 4325527

I can't wait for the British new album rewiews to come :meow:

:blink:

I have it on dvd and I thought it was a great gig :thumb_yello:

his clothes were terrible though:naughty:

• 1 month later...
Yea we saw Luke.. sooooo gorgeous. :wub2: but was always surrounded by girls!.. didn't want to interupt any conversations to take a photo.. so we just admired from a few feet away

Who were these girls? How come they were in there instead of some more worthy members of this forum??

Sorry, who's Luke?

l_9b91ddb684d5f3e6efddd4f409ff5244.jpg

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=55691804&albumID=348054&imageID=4573633

Y'all are famous!

• 3 months later...
By Ludovic Hunter-Tilney

Tel 0870 4325527

:roftl::roftl:

One of my fave gigs.... sorry Ludovic .. you should listen to his acoustic versions as well

and I also like his outfit here :wub2:

Edited by mari62