What's In A Name?

Cautionary Wife

His name never was michael. It was mica, but he changed it to mika because everyone pronounces it like the hebrew (meesha). It's not a girls name unless you're in japan or you choose to name your daughter mika. Even if he had been born Michael, I would applaud him for the change because michael is common, unattractive, and too christian for my tastes.

If I ever have children, Mica/ka would be a lovely name to consider for a son.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if he had been born Michael, I would applaud him for the change because michael is common, unattractive, and too christian for my tastes.

If I ever have children, Mica/ka would be a lovely name to consider for a son.

Totally my words!

His real name is Micheal (his dads name)

then he was called mica (i dunno why, i think its just short for micheal)

changed frm mica to mika because ppl pronounced his name wrong

and mica/mika means plastic bag in morrocan :roftl:

seriously, it was on an interview i read mika thinks its just the curse of the middle child, lol!

but his brother fortune means lucky in french, and his sister paloma's name means dove but i dont know which language :bleh:

I don't understand, you look for info on Wikipedia, and take it for truth, whereas HE said himself his real name was MICA, not Michael. It's his father's name.

He was born MICA and changed to MIKA due to bad pronunciation. He said it, said that it meant "plastic bag", etc. And to confirm that : i don't think it would be considered the "curse of the middle child" to be named Michael ! So let's be logical... He's Mica changed to Mika.

I don't understand, you look for info on Wikipedia, and take it for truth, whereas HE said himself his real name was MICA, not Michael. FONT]

Yes, exactly! :wink2:

Well... I read that he is Michael Holbrook Penniman. (his father is just Michael no middley name) and one of his siblings said Mica instead of Michael and it stuck. Then when he was going for his record deal they thought he was a girl as Mica is a girl's name over here as in the singer Mica Paris so the c changed to a k as in Mika Hakkinen the male racing driver who most people are aware of as being male.

About Michael being religious he probably is as was brought up Roman Catholic.

xx

I don't understand, you look for info on Wikipedia, and take it for truth, whereas HE said himself his real name was MICA, not Michael. It's his father's name.

He was born MICA and changed to MIKA due to bad pronunciation. He said it, said that it meant "plastic bag", etc. And to confirm that : i don't think it would be considered the "curse of the middle child" to be named Michael ! So let's be logical... He's Mica changed to Mika.

I don't take anything for truth, I just quote what I found on Wikipedia about his name, without pretending it's true (or not). ;)

I don't take anything for truth, I just quote what I found on Wikipedia about his name, without pretending it's true (or not). ;)

Don't worry, it was not against Wikipedia only, it was against all the written press... Because in TV interviews, when his name comes in the subject, he says that first it's not really interesting, and that it's really Mica... It really wasn't directed against anyone, just in general... :thumb_yello: And i maybe wrong, but i never heard the story about his siblings calling him Mica as a nickname for Michael... And my "originality theory" about the "curse of the middle child" is not so bad :naughty:

I hardly ever trust Wikipedia anymore because anyone can edit it and, as we have seen in Mika's case, can put information out there that is incorrect.

See, Mica said himself that he was never Michael, it was a mistake by some reporter somewhere - his dad is Michael, and that he was born Mica Penniman. As for the reason for the change from the c to a k, it was just deductive reasoning that in the Middle East and everywhere else for that matter it would be mispronounced as the hebrew (meesha).

My question to everyone who's determined it's Michael, why would his mother give every one of the other children or more exotic, unique name and then stick him with a name like Michael =P

I hardly ever trust Wikipedia anymore because anyone can edit it and, as we have seen in Mika's case, can put information out there that is incorrect.

What to think of his own official website? It would seem that even the information given there is not - literally - true. I mean the information in his biography about his dad being held hostage, which is mentioned in this thread.

When his father was subsequently taken hostage and held at the American embassy in Kuwait the family eventually settled in London.

In this case 'taken hostage' sounds more severe than it actually was.

What to think of his own official website? It would seem that even the information given there is not - literally - true. I mean the information in his biography about his dad being held hostage, which is mentioned in this thread.

In this case 'taken hostage' sounds more severe than it actually was.

Thats because people are too dim to understand context clues. I think it is quite severe being a banker, going to kuwait on an accounting job only to find that should you step outside the US embassy you will be shot and can therefore not return to your family for God only knows how long. He was virtually taken hostage and I am sure to him and his family, that is exactly what it felt like.

Take everything with a grain of salt and don't be too quick to judge. Unless you can know for certain, I wouldn't presume he wasn't telling the story properly or anything along those lines.

Sorry for being to dim to understand then. :biggrin2:

I work for (sport) press, so I know how difficult it is for a reporter to reproduce the words of other people so truthful and factual as possible and to avoid ambiguity. That's not an excuse, just a statement.

Sorry for being to dim to understand then. :biggrin2:

I work for (sport) press, so I know how difficult it is for a reporter to reproduce the words of other people so truthful and factual as possible and to avoid ambiguity. That's not an excuse, just a statement.

Sorry for the dim statement. I get rather rude when I lose sleep -_- I just get really short and lose patience. Plus I never liked people thinking Mika was lying when it could have been the reporter not getting his message across properly or people just not understanding the gravity of what he and his family went through when that happened. Shouldn't have said people were dim, though. My apologies