Popworld Intereview

Cautionary Wife

'I WOULD EAT DOG POO BUT WOULDN'T SWIM WITH FISH'

MIKA INTERVIEW

A cross between Scissor Sisters and Freddie Mercury who's arrived on the scene via Paris after fleeing war-torn Beirut - how could we not be intrigued by Mika?

So how did you get into music?

'I got into it because I had a very tough Russian singing teacher from a very early age. I was about nine and she used to terrify me into practicing.'

She didn't put you off music?

'I didn't have a chance to be put off. I'd be so f***ing terrified I kind of got on with it. When something like that becomes part of your life it's hard to remove it.'

How did you get your break?

'I got my record deal by auditioning for a man at Universal in a hotel lobby in Kensington because they didn't have a piano to use in all of London [laughs]. I think because of the way I performed it was more embarrassing for him than it was for me. People were just, like, 'Who's the freak on the piano?''

You're originally from Beirut, is that right?

'Born in Beirut and half Lebanese. I was born in Beirut in '83 then we had to leave about a year later because the war was just too bad. We ended up in Paris like a lot of people did. We stayed there for a couple of years and then things got complicated and we had to move to London.'

Do you like living in England?

'Yeah, I consider it my home. It's much more embracive than Paris.'

Has the UK music industry accepted you?

'Funnily enough, people seem to be quite nice to me at the moment when they weren't very nice to me most of the time. It was strange because I never really fitted into any scene because I was always a bit too commercial and melody driven for all the indie people. I could never really get into any bands and no one really wanted to play with me.'

What do you have to offer that sets you apart from the rest of the industry?

'Complete ignorance about what the hell I'm supposed to be doing. Musically and marketing-wise I think that's the best thing I've got going for me because I don't know. I don't really give a sh*t. Generally, ignorance is bliss.'

How does it feel being compared to the likes of Freddie Mercury and Scissor Sisters?

'Well, Freddie Mercury firstly, slightly terrifying. I mean, yeah, he was a f***ing genius and he stayed good from the beginning to the end which is the scary thing. I would never compare myself to him, though, I just can't. And Scissor Sisters, I just think it's fun and flattering. Bring it on, it's cool. At least they're not comparing me to Barbara Streisand in her early years, then I'd be a little upset because she seems like a really scary woman.'

OK, you seem a bit too nice, Mika. Let's see if you've got a mean side. If a close relative bought you a hideously multi-coloured jumper for your birthday, would you ask for the receipt to exchange it or keep quiet?

'I'd give it to a nasty journalist. I'd be, like, ‘Here, this reminded me of you.''

I hope we won't be receiving one!

'No, no, you won't [laughs].'

Would you be prepared to miss a night out with the lads if your girlfriend wanted to have a quiet night in with you?

'No, if I was hung over then yeah, sure. No, I'm kidding. Am I a lad? Somehow that doesn't have much relevance to me.'

Would you give up your seat on a bus for an old lady?

'Absolutely. I've been brought up as a good Roman Catholic, Lebanese boy.'

What about a lady of any age?

'Well, it completely depends [laughs].'

Depends on what?

'Oh, I don't know [laughs].'

We think we get what you're saying. Would you be happy to dress up in a panda suit on stage if an animal charity asked you to help protect them from extinction?

'Of course, yeah, bring it on. You'd have a 6ft panda jumping around the stage. At my height I'm pretty funny generally so I might as well be wearing a panda suit.'

Would you be happy to eat a bit of dog poo for £500?

'F*** off, no, no. That's disgusting, that's absolutely foul.'

Is there anything you wouldn't do for £1million?

'Yeah, loads.'

Like what? Does anything particularly freak you out?

'Yeah, sharks, or watching Countdown. No, I don't like fishes. Is a shark a fish?'

Er, we think so.

'Well, just anything that's in the water. I hate water. I'll go to the beach and pretend but I won't go in. What's underneath you is really deep. It freaks me out. I probably would eat dog poo or eat dinner with Prince Harry for £1million but I wouldn't swim with fish.'

From Popworld

http://www.popworld.com/pages/mika_interview

• Like 2

'I WOULD EAT DOG POO BUT WOULDN'T SWIM WITH FISH'

MIKA INTERVIEW

Would you be prepared to miss a night out with the lads if your girlfriend wanted to have a quiet night in with you?

'No, if I was hung over then yeah, sure. No, I'm kidding. Am I a lad? Somehow that doesn't have much relevance to me.'

Thats rather funny! :biggrin2: Good interview!