guinchogirl

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DSC05571_gallery.jpg

Formerly known as Spirit, The Academy is one of Dublin’s best dancing spots with four floors of nightclub, the music tends to be electronic, dancefloor euphoria etc. Known acts like Mika, Lilly Allen have played the Academy as well as other well-known celebritys. The club does have a reputation for drugs unfortunately so caution has to be exercised when leaving the club in the early hours and minding your drinks. However don’t let this spoil a good night out as this applies to everywhere realistically.

http://www.qype.ie/place/432708-The-Academy-Dublin

Edited by mari62
adding title

FRIDAY, MARCH 30

Loved today

The support act to Mika in Dublin's Spirit venue sings an unusual cover.

It's Boney M's "Sunny" a few months ago this was a rather fab dance tune by Boogie Pimps but sung by a man, in a singer songwriter style, it's quite lovely. I have no idea who said singer but it was a nice moment.

Well, it's all go in the crowd as the quickest new star of 2007 is about to play his first Dublin show. Lollipop girl goes around the crowd handing out, yes, lollipops. Mika has a song called "Lollipop", it all makes sense. Lollipop girl, a surreal Alice, is both quirky and scary.

In true pop star fashion his band come on to the tiny stage first. Guitarist Martin Waugh, yum! Lovely indeed!

Then proper ta-dah! Mika leaps onto stage.

Dressed in a piano key design jacket, plain t-shirt and Sugababe tight red trousers he looks like his songs. Loud in a good way. What surprises me is that his first song is, the wonderful, "Relax, Take it Easy". A song I thought would be nearer the end of the show. This song was a download only release last year that didn't get very far in the charts of no sense. "Grace Kelly" his first proper single would be number one for 5 weeks in the UK. I only got Mika's album "Life in Cartoon Motion" (artwork by his sister!) this week, but courtesy of the lovely Enda I had been playing a remix of "Relax Take it Easy" for a few weeks beforehand, the song is even more explosive live.

Mika leaps, bounds, yelps, shrieks throughout the song and most of the show ahead. Hooray! The bigger surprise is the second song, "Love Today" his new single with it's addictive lyrics and "dum di daddy daddy" intro. Looking back, Mika truly is the type of singer you will either adore or are insanely annoyed by.

Everything about Mika and his show is bright and playful, joyous, right now, enjoy it, it's hard to feel down at a show like this.

When I bought 4 tickets for the concert I couldn't believe that only 30 had been sold , I actually asked "have you any left?" so bless Youtube, which helped me convince Brian and Seamus to go to an unknown artist then.

This was 3 weeks before "Grace Kelly" got to number one.

Midway through the concert, Mika thanked the people who supported him and bought tickets "before all the hype" which made me stab Brian in the arm with my finger saying "that's me! I did that!!" The poor girl stranger in between us thought I was having a mental moment.

Mika clearly loves his time in the world of fame at the moment and watching him he seems the kind of person who blurts out words before they are even formed properly so when he referred to the night in question being the "last of the UK tour" I knew exactly what he meant to say, alas this being Dublin many "boyfriends" had to do the whole boo / jeer thing reminding him he's in Dublin, Ireland.

The fact that his clipped tones don't show any his American father / Lebanese mother background, he's British in the eyes of the Gladiators.

My mind went back to the pages of Smash Hits! where Simon Le Bon and Wham! didn't know where they were in the world as they lived on planes and hotel rooms for months. It was a momentary awkward moment and I felt he had to win back the crowd for a while after that. Anyway, soon after, the big beautiful girls and their big, beautiful, formally jeering men were wigging out to "Big Girl (You are Beautiful)".

"Grace Kelly" of course had everyone singing along near the end but the real crowd favourite seems to be "Lollipop" with it's "sucking too hard on your lollipop, love's going to get you down" repetition. This is where Mika gets the lazy journalist Freddie comparisons but Mika to me is pure new, pure...oh, I hate the word..fun!

An extra bonus as we headed out onto a cold Abbey Street was bumping into fellow bloggerina Enda, looking dashing as always, and a very tipsy JJ and his lovely man, myself and Brian linked arms with JJ who sang the "Lollipop" chorus to gusto, if ever there needed the innuendo of that song to be spelt out, well Mika, let JJ sang ya tune.

http://allthewaytonewyork.blogspot.com/2007/03/loved-today.html

The venue

DSC05571_gallery.jpg

Formerly known as Spirit, The Academy is one of Dublin’s best dancing spots with four floors of nightclub, the music tends to be electronic, dancefloor euphoria etc. Known acts like Mika, Lilly Allen have played the Academy as well as other well-known celebritys. The club does have a reputation for drugs unfortunately so caution has to be exercised when leaving the club in the early hours and minding your drinks. However don’t let this spoil a good night out as this applies to everywhere realistically.

:blink:

What's going on? This was in 2007...

And that pic is definitely not the venue...

:blink::naughty:

:blink:

What's going on? This was in 2007...

And that pic is definitely not the venue...

:blink::naughty:

Yes, it was in 2007.. I found some material about the gig and I'm posting it.... maybe someone is interested in....

Isn't that the venue?

Ok breaaaaaaathe, I think Mary has given everyone here a little panic attack, this is an old thread :naughty:
Sorry..... I thought everyone would see it was an old 3d.. its written in the title.. 2007 ;)

Yes, it was in 2007.. I found some material about the gig and I'm posting it.... maybe someone is interested in....

Isn't it the venue?

Mary, please don't take this wrong, but I think you should be careful when bumping old threads like these, considering the present context etc. I'm pretty sure a lot of people will have an adrenaline boost when seeing "Mika / Dublin / spirit" on their screen.

Isn't it the venue?

Well that looks like someone's house to me. I would be very surprised indeed if it was the venue. The neighbours won't like it.

I can't wait until something concrete is announced and Mika starts doing something as all of this bumping of old threads which make people think something is happening now, is getting a little much.

Sorry..... I thought everyone would see it was an old 3d.. its written in the title.. 2007 ;)

I know but the full title doesnt appear for all users when on the forum main page. All I could see, for example, was "Mika in Dublin" and I can tell you my heart started beating much faster :roftl:

I know but the full title doesnt appear for all users when on the forum main page. All I could see, for example, was "Mika in Dublin" and I can tell you my heart started beating much faster :roftl:

i know... i fixed it now:thumb_yello:

Isn't that the venue?

It's okay, I thought this was an old thread when I saw that people had already said yes etc. :wink2:

No, that seems to be a random house(where did you find it??)...I'll go look for a picture of the venue.

Aw I didn't thought about that..... sorry... next time i'll ask you mods before bumping an old 3d like this.....I promise :wink2: Edited by mari62

I can't find any pictures of the venue from the outside, sorry mari62

Unless as you've wrote is that Spirit is now the Acadamy...:blink: I don't know anything a bout Spirit, only The Acadamy...so if they are the same place I'm way too confused right now...

Sorry, I'm really confused, I think I should go lie down now :naughty::bleh:

It's okay, I thought this was an old thread when I saw that people had already said yes etc. :wink2:

No, that seems to be a random house(where did you find it??)...I'll go look for a picture of the venue.

The pic is in the link I put in the first post

Unless as you've wrote is that Spirit is now the Acadamy...:blink: I don't know anything a bout Spirit, only The Acadamy...so if they are the same place I'm way too confused right now...

Yes, they seem to be the same place

The pic is in the link I put in the first post

Okay, but the house is definitly not the venue picture, just to be sure...:wink2:

I think that's just someone's house who wrote the thing in the link. The venue is in Abbey street, so the picture is of something else...

Yes, they seem to be the same place

Ok thanks, I didn't know that, you learn something new every day:naughty:

Yeah it can't be the venue lol. I remember Abbey street well and it didn't look like this, noting in the centre of dublin looks like this pic, in fact :wink2:

I can't find pics of the outside of the venue either.

Yes Spirit is now the Acadamy TL. It changed names.

Mary, please don't take this wrong, but I think you should be careful when bumping old threads like these, considering the present context etc. I'm pretty sure a lot of people will have an adrenaline boost when seeing "Mika / Dublin / spirit" on their screen.

spirit??? :blink:

the Phantom of Dublin returned? :shocked:

DSC05571_gallery.jpg

Ahahahaa! :lmfao: :lmfao:

*laughing hysterically at the fact that people believed this was actually the venue* :lmao: Just look at it!

That whole paragraph is just hilarious when you keep refering back to the picture :naughty:

What with this picture and the alarming title, this thread is sure to induce a cardiac arrest. I deem it highly dangerous. :naughty:

Edited by Shaza!