Mika - Grace Kelly (Music Rooms report)

Cautionary Wife

Report on MUSIC ROOMS

Mika -Grace Kelly

19 January 2007

January 29th 2007 sees 23 year old virtuoso MIKA release his deliriously catchy debut single ‘Grace Kelly’ on Casablanca Records. Already being tipped as a major breakthrough artist for 2007 MIKA closely follows ‘Grace Kelly’ with his debut album, ‘Life in Cartoon Motion’ which comes out on February 5th.

Having fast become his signature song, ‘Grace Kelly’, is a sensational 4/4 opera set to a technicolour pop backdrop. “It was a ####-off song to the music company that I was working with at the time,†MIKA explains. “It is where the line ‘shall I bend over, shall I look older, just to be put on your shelf’ comes from. I was so angry. That company had every resource except a soul.†‘Grace Kelly’ comes complete with a video directed by British director extraordinaire Sophie Muller (Beyonce, Coldplay, Gwen Stefani).

The infectious pomp of ‘Grace Kelly’ became a benchmark for where MIKA wanted to go, with the results displayed in gloriously full effect on ‘Life in Cartoon Motion’. A songwriter, performer, producer and orchestrator, MIKA’s songs combine a heady euphoric rush with darker unexpected elements: daytime melodramas and night-time tales of love, loss, abandonment, hope and happiness. The album also comes with some brilliant artwork created by MIKA himself.

MIKA has been causing quite a stir since his arrival this summer. His download single ‘Relax’ was a Radio 1 Record of the Week and playlisted there (virtually unheard of for a limited edition/download single) and his myspace site has grown to over 120,000 plays in just three months. Popbitch called him ‘the breakout superstar of the next few years’, Rob Da Bank said ‘he is going to be a huge star’, i-D declared ‘he’s pops new saviour’ whilst Observer Music Monthly described him as ‘glorious new pop star’. MIKA has also been specially chosen to be one of the faces of Paul Smiths 2007 Spring/Summer Global advertising campaign.

Debonair, with a touch of degenerate dandy, MIKA has a stunning, you-wouldn’t-believe-it life story (born in Beirut, grew up in the war, a father held hostage in an embassy in Kuwait, self-imposed exile in Paris before settling in London) and you have the first chapter in a story that is destined to keep us enthralled for the foreseeable future.

Following a sell out show at the Borderline and gigs at Ibiza Rocks, Bestival, The Union Chapel (special show for Mencap) and his first UK tour MIKA will be returning to the stage for his largest headline show to date at Koko in London on February 22nd. A full UK tour is also planned for February.

MIKA digital only ‘Dodgy Holiday’ EP which includes Billy Brown (album version), Love Today (Acoustic), Relax, Take it Easy (Live from Maida Vale - Blue Room session - Radio 1) and My Interpretation (acoustic) is available to buy now.

Released 29, January 2007

http://www.musicrooms.net/cm/live/templates/?a=3853&z=5

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic