Album

RosieLou

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really brilliant album. The scissor sisters album, Ta dah, was my favourite album of last year. There are some similar songs on this. Love it.

I agree, I think they both sound completely different however............

They both are ace, im SOOOO glad they were released in different years, 2006 the year of Tah Dah//2007 the year of life in cartoon motion

woooooooooopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:partytime2:

Me too.

With Mika's love of vinyl and artwork I cannot imagine WHY no 12" of the album to display the drawings in full glory and properly print the lyrics. And wot no 12" pictiure disk!!

Can't you guess I'm a sad vinyl freak? Now sadder cos of these omissions.

And why no Grace Kelly video track on the physical CD?? Not everyone has or wants to use iTunes, though the 3 extra acoustic versions on the download album are lovely.

Still.... whadda we mere mortals know?

CW.

I love ring ring, although I am a little disapointed by the booklet, I was hoping it would have all the lyrics in it:no:

or 2089 wait for me...!!!!:thumbdown:

Hopefully the situation isn't as bad as here. Oh, I'll get mad if I have to go to the nearest city and come back empty-handed. This would be very annoying:sneaky2: So cross your fingers and wish me luck for Wednesday:bleh:

Okey dokey Ive listend to it ! , Grace Kelly is great , Relax take it easy is superb , feel like its a classic and Ive known it all my life , Happy ending is great! , loving My Interpretation , any other world is maybe my fav , etc!!!

Classic , god knows how that guy from the independant newspaper gave it a 1/5 ????? , I love it :mf_lustslow:

SAD that Tim de Lisle in The Mail on Sunday yesterday only gave it 2/5. I didn't find this evaluation to be much about the music, just whether or not Mika manage to keep this journalist liking him.

Words come to mind.... 'why don't you like me without making me try.'

CW

MAIL ON SUNDAY

4 February 2007

"Mika - Life In Cartoon Mtion

Casablanca Records

£12.99 inc p&p

01634 832 789

** /5

No sooner had I reviewed Grace Kelly, the debut single from the young Lebanese Londoner Mika, than it went to number one. Now his album, Life In Cartoon Motion, is here, and it's a disappointment. Mika turns out to be one of those people you take to immediately, only to find you like them less as you get to know them better.

With his camp energy, catchy tunes and fluting voice, he should have further hits, but over a whole album his charm palls, and his schtick - Scissor Sisters meets Queen - feels calculating. Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) is a shamless rehash of Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls, only partly redeemed by the fact that it's message is highly topical; Billy Brown, the tale of a closet gay is painfully twee. There's a fine line between cute and annoying."

Classic , god knows how that guy from the independant newspaper gave it a 1/5 ????? , I love it :mf_lustslow:

I hate Mondays but today was all the more wonderful. i didnt have to be in work til ten so was home when the postie pushed a very welcome parcel into my erm... slot (cough cough no pun intended.) I then had to leg it upstiars and find my ancient portable cd walkman to accompany me on the bus and the journey flew by thanks to Mika!

I'm loving it. I have to say it has the same energy and fun of scissor sisters debut album and some poignancy in songs like any other world, happy ending. I can't stop humming love today, relax or lollipop. I prefer the acoustic love today. THeres a familiarity to this album that is somehow cosy and reassuring- for example relax- take it easy sounds very much like euro pop from the eighties and I swear i've heard my interpretation somewhere else.

I love the artwork- it looks like Dewack used acrylic paints or similar and i thought they were all pen. As has been said before shame there wasn't a poster or somthing included like the special addition version of "Tadah" and i'm probably being greedy but i wish there were more special features. I thought Mika said somewhere about there being a cartoon of lollipop girl and billy brown- a kind of cartoon soap opera. i thought maybe it would be on the disc. Apparently not. Does anyone know about this? Sunny? CW?

Anyway this is going to be permanently in my cd player for the next few weeks!

By the way critics arent worth listening to- they arent buying the album after all- they get copies free and its so much easier to bitch then say something positive.

I have it on my cd player in my van which means it will be on pretty much all the time, only two other CDS have had that honour, The Scissor Sisters TaDa, and JC Chasez's Schizophrenic.

I do love pretty much all of it automatically, a couple of them I think will be slow burners. Grace Kelly is a given, I love it to death, Relax, Love Today, Happy Ending, Billy Brown, Big Girls and My Interpretation come in a very close second. The track before Ring Ring reminds me a little of Anthony and the Johnsons, which is a good thing.

Overall I think it is a brilliant album, not because I'm biased, but because it caters to my love of anything quirky with killer hooks. And the artwork is really well presented in the same quirky fashion, I love it. I think Wayne Coyne(Flaming Lips, one of my idols), has got SERIOUS competiton here.

I love ring ring, although I am a little disapointed by the booklet, I was hoping it would have all the lyrics in it:no:

IT DOESN'T ?!?!?! I hate when the booklet doesn't have the lyrics!!:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

When you go into iTunes there is a nice Banner heading of Mika, first thing you see. When you call up Life In Cartoon Motion, they have made a really lovely page with Mika depicted in the album graphic. Takes up the depth of my big screen.

There's a blurb that says:

ALBUM NOTES

If you feel that the Scissor Sisters are a bit too reserved for your tastes, then Mika may just fulfill your more flamboyant fantasies. Sounding like Freddie Mercury shucking and jiving through a Broadway rendition of The Wiz, Mika is a pop force worth taking note of. Theatrical falsettos, disco-soul, hand-claps and generous slices of gandoise bubblegum make this a guilty pleasure. Screatch that. Tunes like "Grace Kelly" and "Lolipop" are just pure pleasure, plain and simple. Life In Cartoon Motion also contains three acoustic, exclusive live tracks.

There are 14 songs on the download album.

1. Grace Kelly

2. Lollipop

3. My Interpretation

4. Love Today

5. Relax, Take It EAsy

6. Any Other World

7. Billy Brown

8. Big Girl (You are Beautiful)

9. Stuck in the Middle

10. Happy Ending

11. Ring Ring

12. Grace Kelly (Acoustic)

13. Suck in the Middle (Acoustic)

14. Relax, Take It Easy (Acoustic)

Separately, on iTunes, you can get the tracks of Dodgy Holiday EP, the B Sides of Grace Kelly CD and 7" - Satellite and Over My Shoulder, remixes, live versions, - about 17 tracks which are not listed as album 'Life In Cartoon Motion'.

You can also check out on iTunes free Mika Podcasts and in Music Videos Section Grace Kelly is listed.

CW.

Let me get this straight ... If I download off I tunes I get extra tracks?:boxed:

When you go into iTunes there is a nice Banner heading of Mika, first thing you see. When you call up Life In Cartoon Motion, they have made a really lovely page with Mika depicted in the album graphic. Takes up the depth of my big screen.

There's a blurb that says:

ALBUM NOTES

If you feel that the Scissor Sisters are a bit too reserved for your tastes, then Mika may just fulfill your more flamboyant fantasies. Sounding like Freddie Mercury shucking and jiving through a Broadway rendition of The Wiz, Mika is a pop force worth taking note of. Theatrical falsettos, disco-soul, hand-claps and generous slices of gandoise bubblegum make this a guilty pleasure. Screatch that. Tunes like "Grace Kelly" and "Lolipop" are just pure pleasure, plain and simple. Life In Cartoon Motion also contains three acoustic, exclusive live tracks.

There are 14 songs on the download album.

1. Grace Kelly

2. Lollipop

3. My Interpretation

4. Love Today

5. Relax, Take It EAsy

6. Any Other World

7. Billy Brown

9. Stuck in the Middle

10. Happy Ending

11. Ring Ring

12. Grace Kelly (Acoustic)

13. Suck in the Middle (Acoustic)

14. Relax, Take It Easy (Acoustic)

Separately, on iTunes, you can get the tracks of Dodgy Holiday EP, the B Sides of Grace Kelly CD and 7" - Satellite and Over My Shoulder, remixes, live versions, - about 17 tracks which are not listed as album 'Life In Cartoon Motion'.

You can also check out on iTunes free Mika Podcasts and in Music Videos Section Grace Kelly is listed.

CW.

wow! do you have them all?

I think so.

I haven't downloaded all the mixes from iTunes as I had them on CD's or 12's and the extra tracks Over My Shoulder on the Grace Kelly CD and Satellite on 7", which converted to an mp3, so no need to buy them again.

I bought the Dodgy Holiday 4-track download for myself and for several friends for Christmas.

And have the podcasts either from iTunes or other original sources.

Some of the tracks I got as pre-release 3 track and a 5-track, but still bought the download and CD formats of the album.

Can't wait for more promo video - or a proper DVD !!!! Might as well ask for the moon even if I have to settle for the stars.

CW.

wow! do you have them all?

My CD has 11 tracks listed on the back:

1. Grace Kelly

2. Lollipop

3. My Interpretation

4. Love Today

5. Relax, Take It EAsy

6. Any Other World

7. Billy Brown

9. Stuck in the Middle

10. Happy Ending

11. Ring Ring

BUT it also has "Over my shoulder" on it, which plays between Happy Ending and Ring Ring. It is mentioned inside the booklet (listed last, not second to last), but not on the case. Confused? I was!

Hopefully the situation isn't as bad as here. Oh, I'll get mad if I have to go to the nearest city and come back empty-handed. This would be very annoying:sneaky2: So cross your fingers and wish me luck for Wednesday:bleh:

So I did a little research and found out that 'Life In Cartoon Motion' is coming out in March or sometime in Estonia :thumbdown::shocked: . I know that because I went to the mall today, again, and searched all the CD stores, again. So yeah, I guess I have to pre-order it, because I'm terribly impatient :boxed:.

I won't be buying it tomorrow:boxed: I live in such a crappy place that Mika's album won't be here before 2089. But I'm hoping to go to the city definately and oh god, please let me find a copy:cool: When I'll get it then I will faint:roftl:, then listen to it on and on and on again:naughty: . Probably I'll take it to school with me just to stare it and show all to my friends what I've got. Haha. MIKA LOVE EVERYWHERE!

It is a crappy place we live in, but you can order the album from the internet, I ordered mine almost 3 weeks ago and it should arrive soon. I ordered it from http://www.helitroop.ee and if you really want it you will too, atleast i hope so!:naughty::wink2:

soo does any one know where i could find the cd on line or in the united states?because i looked on i-tunes and i couldn't find it and the store thats close to me doesn't stock it :no:so if someone can tell me i would be greatfull thankyou!!

Ebay? Amazon Import?