Mika OCD sufferer

Ocean_Fairy

When I read about mika’s ‘OCD’ and the 'OCD' of people in this thread, I can’t help but feel peeved at him. He almost seems to be flaunting it as an attraction.

There is a boy in my year who really, badly suffers from OCD. Today from my art class, which looks out to the field we watched him run around, around, around the field, set on running a ridiculous distance. No-one could talk him out of it. He passed out, and as soon as he came to, he continued. It looked like it was killing him.

He is probably the nicest guy I know, but he always has to walk to classes at a certain speed = FAST, and damn, he is so tidy that’s its scary. I really wish I could help him.

I saw your comment :thumb_yello:

Please don't be peeved with Mika for talking about his OCD. Is he really flaunting it? or just dealing with it by being open, and treating it lightly, at least publicly?

There are lots of people who have OCD to a greater or lesser extent. In some cultures, these things simply aren't discussed, and sufferers of even minor OCD can feel very isolated and embarrassed by it. The more it is discussed openly, the easier it gets for the sufferer to feel "normal" (whatever that is :naughty:) and to seek help when it gets disruptive. In this celebrity-obsessed world, Mika's admission of OCD is helpful in breaking down prejudice.

I have a problem with excessive irrational worrying - (eg I worry about turning taps on - in case I can't turn them off again and everything floods) - the severity varies - it used to be much worse, and now it is just a minor intrusive thought in an otherwise normal routine. I found that by simply saying to someone else "I am worried that *insert irrational fretting here* " the fear was greatly reduced, and more so if I added "isn't that funny" and laughed at the same time.

I appreciate that some sufferers have very severe problems, and your friend certainly falls into this category. It is good that he has sympathetic friends like you, and I hope he is able to get the social and professional support he needs. And maybe, if he knows he isn't the only one, and even successful people like Mika suffer from it, that may encourage him too.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I did read in some interview or other that Mika had been thought to be autistic as a child. There is a form of Autism that is not so bad as the usual, I think it's called something like Astburgher's Syndrome (probably not spelled right) and sufferers do have OCD symptoms, but can live a more normal life than people with full Autism. I suppose, even with Astburghers Syndrome it can vary in severity, so Mika could indeed have AS to some degree, but that's only speculation with no real evidence to back it up

I know it's speculation but I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who have thought of it.

And I now remember that he ones told in an interview that a doctor or someone told his parents to let him do tests for it but they didn't do it.

I forgot all about it.

Please don't be peeved with Mika for talking about his OCD. Is he really flaunting it? or just dealing with it by being open, and treating it lightly, at least publicly?

There are lots of people who have OCD to a greater or lesser extent. In some cultures, these things simply aren't discussed, and sufferers of even minor OCD can feel very isolated and embarrassed by it. The more it is discussed openly, the easier it gets for the sufferer to feel "normal" (whatever that is :naughty:) and to seek help when it gets disruptive. In this celebrity-obsessed world, Mika's admission of OCD is helpful in breaking down prejudice.

I have a problem with excessive irrational worrying - (eg I worry about turning taps on - in case I can't turn them off again and everything floods) - the severity varies - it used to be much worse, and now it is just a minor intrusive thought in an otherwise normal routine. I found that by simply saying to someone else "I am worried that *insert irrational fretting here* " the fear was greatly reduced, and more so if I added "isn't that funny" and laughed at the same time.

I appreciate that some sufferers have very severe problems, and your friend certainly falls into this category. It is good that he has sympathetic friends like you, and I hope he is able to get the social and professional support he needs. And maybe, if he knows he isn't the only one, and even successful people like Mika suffer from it, that may encourage him too.

I agree with you, I am 54, and when I first presented with symptoms of OCD I was put on tranquilisers! I took them from being about 6 years old, to being in my thirties. I really admire people like Mika who are making people aware of conditions like OCD, which, in the old days, were treated with addictive tranquilizers, or electric shock therapy

Aspbergers Syndrome.

:wink2:

I think it might be Asperger's syndrome, well it's like that in french:wink2:

Has anyone read "The curious incident of the dog in the night time" because it's a very interesting novel and the first place I heard of Asperger's (or however it's spelt :bleh:). The main character has autism and it's all from his point of view...scarily I relate to him:shocked:

Has anyone read "The curious incident of the dog in the night time" because it's a very interesting novel and the first place I heard of Asperger's (or however it's spelt :bleh:). The main character has autism and it's all from his point of view...scarily I relate to him:shocked:

I have!! Love it. :mf_lustslow:

Did Greta did delete her post?:naughty:

I was going to answer, but now it's gone.

About the spelling, after googling I'm pretty sure it should be Aspergers, without the b I put in. But in some of the google hits there was a b, so I'm not alone with the mistake!

And about the book, I would love to read it, I saw a TV show with the author but I haven't found it in Swedish jet, I think this book can be a little too hard to read in English.:wink2:

I also don't think Mika has OCD but on the other hand there is something.

In the beginning when I saw Mika's interviews I thought he had a light form of autism.

I know people who don't know autism think it's always about people who don't speak much or not and that they are always very calm but that's not true.

The light form of autism is very close to ADHD.

They can be very energetic and talk a lot.

Why I thought that,

Well he didn't speak for a long time because he was hurt,he seemed to call everybody his friend and he has a sort of OCD way to do things and had problems with writhing.

That's why I thought that.

Was this stupid of me or are here others who have thought of that?

Yes I did read in some interview or other that Mika had been thought to be autistic as a child. There is a form of Autism that is not so bad as the usual, I think it's called something like Astburgher's Syndrome (probably not spelled right) and sufferers do have OCD symptoms, but can live a more normal life than people with full Autism. I suppose, even with Astburghers Syndrome it can vary in severity, so Mika could indeed have AS to some degree, but that's only speculation with no real evidence to back it up

I know it's speculation but I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who have thought of it.

And I now remember that he ones told in an interview that a doctor or someone told his parents to let him do tests for it but they didn't do it.

I forgot all about it.

I agree with you, I am 54, and when I first presented with symptoms of OCD I was put on tranquilisers! I took them from being about 6 years old, to being in my thirties. I really admire people like Mika who are making people aware of conditions like OCD, which, in the old days, were treated with addictive tranquilizers, or electric shock therapy

wow, reading through that was really interesting. i'll reserve my comments for sometime when its not so late at night, though :naughty:

I read or heard somewhere that Mika has to be the last person outta the dressing room or something like after he leaves gigs and stuff. I didn't realise untill I heard this that I do exactly the same thing...

At the end of classes at school, I always am the last person out of the room. when there are other people behind me, I stop or walk very slowly so they over take me. I sometimes even pack my things up really slowly so it gives people time to get out before me.

I don't know why I do this, but I do and It's starting to annoy me :roftl:

:offtopic:My mum and dad dont lik me telling people about my dyslexia. i feel it is gud to admit to people about learning difficulties and stuff. i wish my mum and dad wud admit to me being dyslexic. they mak me feal i am a bad person because of it. im proud mika admits he ocd and dyslexic. it givs ppl lik me encouragemant

WELL DUN MIKA!:thumb_yello:

:offtopic:My mum and dad dont lik me telling people about my dyslexia. i feel it is gud to admit to people about learning difficulties and stuff. i wish my mum and dad wud admit to me being dyslexic. they mak me feal i am a bad person because of it. im proud mika admits he ocd and dyslexic. it givs ppl lik me encouragemant

WELL DUN MIKA!:thumb_yello:

Not off topic at all :huglove: I think it is good to talk about things too - you can get the right sort of support if you are willing to accept help. It was probably different in your parents' day when things like dyslexia weren't understood properly.

• 7 months later...
I have OCD, I truthfully don't like having it, it puts me behind in math, drawing graphs is awful, and it makes me develop the WEIRDEST habits...:aah: oh well, mika and I have something in common.

:roftl:

:huglove:

I hope it's not too much of a nuisance for you:thumb_yello: Are you able to get some help for it?

I would just like to say that David Beckham has come out with having ashthma and has suffered from it since he was a child, yet he is a footballer. Even with something like that it hasn't stopped him from doing what he loves and probably encourages others to follow their dreams regardless of what they have.

So you have asthma, or dyslexia, or OCD. The only thing stopping you from achieving your best is yourself, don't blame it on what you have. It will be hard, I know that, but it won't stop you, and don't let nobody tell you any different. There are plenty of good examples out there.

I would just like to say that David Beckham has come out with having ashthma and has suffered from it since he was a child, yet he is a footballer. Even with something like that it hasn't stopped him from doing what he loves and probably encourages others to follow their dreams regardless of what they have.

So you have asthma, or dyslexia, or OCD. The only thing stopping you from achieving your best is yourself, don't blame it on what you have. It will be hard, I know that, but it won't stop you, and don't let nobody tell you any different. There are plenty of good examples out there.

Well said Caz :thumb_yello:

I was amazed to read abut Beckham -apparently Frank Lampard and Paula Radcliffe do too - amazing :biggrin2:

And Steve Redgrave won his last Olympic Gold after being diagnosed with Diabetes :shocked:

Don't limit yourself - and don't let others limit you either :thumb_yello:

:huglove:

I hope it's not too much of a nuisance for you:thumb_yello: Are you able to get some help for it?

not yet, I'm terrified of doctors.. so I'm just dealing with it, but I've heard with most people it gets worse as you get older, but with me I think its gotten a little better, I used to have this habit where I tried to make my steps the same distance apart when I was 6, but I fixed that and now when I'm walking I don't look down.. lol