Singles Review (USA) - Grace Kelly

Cautionary Wife

MONSTERS & CRITICS

"Grace Kelly" - Mika

Feb 20, 2007, 21:55 GMT

Mika, a 23-year-old male Beirut-born jack-of-all-musical trades, topped U.K. singles in January with "Grace Kelly" based solely on digital sales - a new phenomenon in that country - with his jaw-dropping, wild-eyed Scissors Sisters-meets-Freddie Mercury four-octave vocal imprint.

Cosmic uptempo production sounds like nothing that stateside radio has indulged . . . well . . . ever . . . with audacious howling-into-a-squeal falsetto opening verse: "Do I attract you? Do I repulse you with my queasy smile?/Am I too dirty? Am I too flirty?"

Polarizing opinions are a certainty, given the self-proclaimed "operatic spoof`" manic musical overdrive. "Grace Kelly" is surely atypical, conspicuous in its weird, ambrosial, hyperactive originality. We can`t even imagine what`s in store from full-length debut 'Life in Cartoon Motion,' due in March.

---

Can anyone explain "atypical, conspicuous in its weird, ambrosial, hyperactive originality"? DUH !

CW.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone explain "atypical, conspicuous in its weird, ambrosial, hyperactive originality"? DUH !

CW.

I think what they mean is that its not normal for what you hear on the radio here...its weird, amazing, and hyperactive, in addition to be original all at the same time. :biggrin2:

I dunno...I'm sure they do...the critics and such tend to like people that the majority of the public may not...I try not to keep comparing Mika to Scissor Sisters, but a lot of the music-buying public will see him as the same as them, and may write him off, while the people myself and the other U.S. fans on the message boards here who (from what I can gather) tend to look at artists from all around the world, will likely like Mika's stuff. :biggrin2:

MONSTERS & CRITICS

"Grace Kelly" - Mika

Feb 20, 2007, 21:55 GMT

CW.

atypical is the opposite of typical--- meaning original.

conspicuous is the opposite of inconspicuous---it means he stands OUT.

ambrosial means something along the lines of---pleasing our senses.

hope i helped. :)