The meanings behind the songs on his album!

Cautionary Wife

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome interview, however, like most of us, I really wanted to know the meaning behind 'Stuck in the Middle', "I look at you, you look at me, we bite each other" I mean, who wouldn't want to know what Mika meant by that - and to whom!

Giedrusia_NY, thanks so much for pasting the interview here and doodle, thanks for redirecting me to the interview :)

This was already posted and is in Front Page News 2nd Feb "SFTW Meets The Saviour of Pop"

Please search the site before posting. It's very easy to do. In this case a search of

Psychobabble, schizophrenic, hyper-pop

finds it easily.

CW.

the sun have loadsa great interviews + articles of him but i really liked this 1! its an interview + i dont know if this has been posted b4..

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2006140003-2007050404,00.html

so anyway...

ENJOY :thumb_yello:

*also feel free to add me on MSN or AIM cos i lurve 2 tlk bout mika + meet new ppl*

ahh i love this is my favorite article

“Slightly surreal!”

How has your life changed?

“It’s all gone Willy Wonka!”

How would you sum up your sound and style?

“Psychobabble, schizophrenic, hyper-pop!”

i love that. on my myspace i put it in 'my heroes' section which is basically a shrine to Mika.

and i wonder why he didn't want to talk about 'Stuck in the Middle' that's my favorite. well.. idk they're all my favorites. but i love that song. and what about 'Ring Ring'? who knows.. haha :]

He IS a middle child http://www.itv.com/page.asp?partid=7584&pos=2 Going back to "Stuck in the Middle" for some reason I think that he doesn't get along with one of his parents, and this song is about a struggle to be the way he is (not as expected to be) and still be loved by his family. I don't think it's about outside relationship.

For me it's about breaking lose from what you are "supposed to be" and how tough that is when you hurt people you love because you can't or won't change who you are just to fit into the plans they had for you :mf_rosetinted:

Wow, that's pretty much my life in a sentence. Can definitely relate to that whole issue of trying to be your own person in spite of what others want you to be.

He IS a middle child, Going back to "Stuck in the Middle" for some reason I think that he doesn't get along with one of his parents, and this song is about a struggle to be the way he is (not as expected to be) and still be loved by his family. I don't think it's about outside relationship.

thnx 4 tellin me that he's a middle child! :thumb_yello:

thats what i think the song means aswell!!!

I read in one of the members concerts reviews in the Concert section that he said that he was feeling uncomfortable to sing Stuck in the Middle because his mum was there, and that the song was about death... Any idea about that ? But i agree it must be something dealing with family, not outside relationship...

Don't you think it's amazing that a song can be written about certain emotions and a story if you will about in this case Mika, but when someone else listens to it in a different context it takes a completley different mood, and evokes completley different emotions.

Ive just been reading the posts above and seeing what the songs are about and i mean i could have probably guessed most fo them as there sort of explained in the song, but if i listen to them they can take on a completley different meaning

ok ill shut up now :P lol

[currently listening to, Nothing]

I absolutely love this interview, its nice to know wot Mika was thinkin of when writting the cd, however alot of the songs mean something different to me and affect me in a different way, it just shows wot a extraordinary singer/songwriter he is. xxxx

Don't you think it's amazing that a song can be written about certain emotions and a story if you will about in this case Mika, but when someone else listens to it in a different context it takes a completley different mood, and evokes completley different emotions.

Ive just been reading the posts above and seeing what the songs are about and i mean i could have probably guessed most fo them as there sort of explained in the song, but if i listen to them they can take on a completley different meaning

ok ill shut up now :P lol

[currently listening to, Nothing]

i agree. :thumb_yello:

that's one of the wonders about songwriting...you can give it as many layers and branch-offs as you want. some feelings are the same when applied to many different situations, and i suppose it's the same with this song.

I think Stuck in the Middle has something to do with being a "middle" child.

Perhaps his conflicts with his family?

Just a thought

that's what i have thought aswell! the lyrics "stuck in the middle" + "are 5 kids better than 1" - made me think what it could be about & then i started listning to the lyrics closer & i definatly agree with you :thumb_yello:

Well my opinion on "Stuck in the middle" is... well when I first saw him I thought well shame hes gay,then read he won`t say what he is. When asked in interviews about his sexuality he won`t say anything and won`t say anything about what this is about a coincedence??

Maybey he feels stuck in the middle of being straight or gay and should uphold peoples opinions/religions that he should be straight. Would his parents behappy if he turned out gay? as he says he comes from a traditional family and just wants to be loved for what he is and doesn`t mean to hurt them he is what he is. He could have had arguments about it and the only way to get it out of his system is to write a song.

This is pure speculation as is most of the rhubarb written in the press (maybey I should be a journo!!) but who knows it could be the truth??

I`ll ask him when I see him at Leeds (if only!!)

xx

Ask him what exactly? "Hey is Stuck in the middle about coming out?" :shocked::yay: I tend to agree with you, but it could fit a lot of other situations as well, the first I thought when I heard it was that it was like "my song" since I had a lot of trouble with my catholic family when I decided to get divorced, it could have been something I'd have written to my grandmother at that time :blink:

i just read this interview again and it is still refreshing to read his short synopsis of all the songs on the album, I'm sure that he will come out with much more.

I think his concept album is so great because it draws upon his personal experiences and impressions and everything that has touched or angered him. He's also varied the tempo and beat to impress the meaning of the songs.

Maybe I should stop analysing and just shut up?

The only thing I didn’t want to be when I started was another singer-songwriter looking at his shoes making nice music for dinner parties.”

I read in one of the members concerts reviews in the Concert section that he said that he was feeling uncomfortable to sing Stuck in the Middle because his mum was there, and that the song was about death... Any idea about that ? But i agree it must be something dealing with family, not outside relationship...

Yes, in Birmingham, after he had finished Stuck in the Middle he told us that his Mum was in the audience and so he felt uncomfortable singing the first line to that song and then he repeated the line "I sit and think about the day that you’re gonna die". I can't recall exactly how he said it, but it it was far more explicit than him being uncomfortable because it was about dying. It seemed clear (to me anyway, others may remember it differently) from what he said, that the line actually refers to his Mum.

I had already thought from the "five kids better than one" that this song was about his family and his relationships with others in his family. His comment in Birmingham confirmed that for me.

Yes, in Birmingham, after he had finished Stuck in the Middle he told us that his Mum was in the audience and so he felt uncomfortable singing the first line to that song and then he repeated the line "I sit and think about the day that you’re gonna die". I can't recall exactly how he said it, but it it was far more explicit than him being uncomfortable because it was about dying. It seemed clear (to me anyway, others may remember it differently) from what he said, that the line actually refers to his Mum.

I had already thought from the "five kids better than one" that this song was about his family and his relationships with others in his family. His comment in Birmingham confirmed that for me.

From what you witnessed at the show with the line referring to his mom, and my listening to the song, I also thought that that line refered to one of his parents, and I assumed it was his mother. I think like someone earlier said it might have to do with him (possibly?) being gay.. and traditional families.. especially in the mid east.. (mom's lebanese right?) that sorta thing is pretty much ignored.. if you're gay dont say it, dont act upon it etc etc, But hes grown up in the west which means he's had a lot of western influence and that would leave him being stuck in the middle in that respect. Also with him being the middle child, there's a lot of issues surrounding middle children feeling ignored and whatnot so that probably plays a huge part in the song.

as there is a interview on here, lets go crazy with TWO!! :shocked:

Remember the buzz around Lily Allen before she became a household name? Mika could be the male version…

Classically trained musician Mika (pronounce Meeka) is being touted as the next big thing before he’s even released a tune. The 23-year-old London-based dude’s tunes are big, funny, orchestral and poppy - we see him in the same vein as Scissor Sisters or Lily Allen… You read it here first!

So another male singer/song-writer?

I don’t say I’m a singer/songwriter because I don’t sit at my piano and moan – my thing is creating huge sounding pop records. My music reminds people of artists from the 80s and 90s.

Where’s the accent from?

Well, I’ve lived in London since I was 9, but I was born in Lebanon in 1983. I left there as a baby because of the war and lived in Paris for 8 years. My accent changes all the time but my parents were taught English in an American accent which I’ve picked up on.

Tell us about the first single 'Take It Easy/Billy Brown'…

It’s a little teaser single coming out on limited release on October 2. We started the ball rolling slowing but Scott Mills on Radio 1 made it his Record of the Week recently.

And 'Billy Brown' is about a bloke who leaves his wife for another man?

You can tell stories in a pop song that aren’t the norm…Although maybe this song might encourage lots more Billy Browns to come out.

There’s more than a touch of the Queen and the Scissor Sisters about your music, would you agree?

Freddie Mercury: I take that as the highest praise. Scissor Sisters: Great, everyone loves them. As long as people don’t start comparing me to Danny La Rue I’ll be happy.

Who floats your boat musically?

Prince, and anyone who makes records who can’t be done by anyone else - non-karaoke records. Michael Jackson and Beck both make records like that as well.

You’ve already been described by Music Week mag as the “next 21st Century superstarâ€Â. Are you?

Are you serious? That’s amazing. I’m honoured. But of course, I have to say I am! 2007 will be mine.

Fair enough. Anything else you want to get off your chest?

Yes, what this fascination with grey clothes we've got at the moment? London's dull enough as it is in Winter - bring on the colour.

Thanks for this great article! I just love hearing the stories behind the songs. I also would have like to hear about Stuck in the Middle. What is everybody else's interpretation of the song?

Just read the rest of the replys (Should've done that first :) and that answered my question!