Why are we so complex as a nation?

Steph

During the past few days I've had to reason with quite a few people who were quite negative about Mika and I have since sat down to think about this properly.

Here's why I think this is:

Mika had appeared from nowhere and jumped straight to no1 with a single and video which is so different to anything seen before....(few know that he had an uphill struggle with the music industry for many years because he refused to be moulded into a 'designer box'

Mika is very gifted, he can play an instrument to perfection and he can use his voice in various ways to suit his songs..... this is unusual and scares people, solo artists are supposed to sing melodramatic ballards...this frightens people...

Mika is a true performer, he can deliver his songs with so much energy that this again makes the onlooker uneasy ....

|Mika does not conform to the sometimes very conservative music iindustry's idea of safe music for solo artists , he fights for his ideas and makes sure they are fully represented ....It again scares the ones in the knowhow...

Mika wrote a supherb concept album which few people took the trouble to understand for what it is, the album goes full circle and his songs are a modern portrait of our society. He delivers his songs in a way he sees best to get accross, ...People only hear and see the songs as 'overthetop pop' and again it scares them

Mika speaks very distinctly and he comes accross as very educated, through his many changes in his childhood he has travelled a great dea and gained much life experience which reflects in his music, which again sets him apart and ....people misread this as arrogant...

DJ's have compared his 'priviledged' background to that of the Chiefs, is that a crime?

Mika wears colourful clothes and he has agreat sense of style....people are again frightened by this because although many would like to dare do so too they cannot

Mika is a supherb performer and his deliveries are colourful because he wants his fans to let their hair down....again this scares people because they would like to let go too and yet they can't

Lastly.....Mika has all the looks and ....people are envious of these too

My conclusion is that he will have to fight all the way because conservative Britain is not ready for him, not really! But I know that he will fight and he will win!!!

Ps ..His album will probably become an all-time classic in 10 years time when the industry has finally woken up....

About the press: First they build you up just to knock you down

(after this mega essay I'm too lazy to proof-read, so excuse any mistakes....please!!):wink2: :wink2:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most certainly agree! Some folk just aren't ready for someone who is 100% real down to the bone and doesn't put on an act just to make everyone happy. He is who he is, and we love him for that! He definitely a gift that some people aren't ready to open, but once they do finally get to courage to do so, they might actually like what's inside! :thumb_yello:

I totally agree...there are not many CD's on which all the tracks are excellent...he is pure perfection and maybe a little different to what people are used to, but who wants to listen to the same stuff all the time...I found his music very refreshing and uplifting. His dress sense is amazing, he is good looking and just totally talented all round.

Another thing...I suffer from mild depression, but since discovering Mika, if I feel blue at all I listen to him and immediately feel better. He has improved my quality of life 100%!!

Absolutely agree - all of those things are sooo true about the music industry, many reviewers and large sections of the music-buying public. It's just so very annoying and plain wrong that even though he is someone who shouldn't have to fight for success at all, because of all those reasons he will probably find mainstream popularity harder to achieve than hundreds of much, much less talented acts.

How can people think Mika is arrogant ? The first thing that "seduced" me about him was precisely his kindness and simplicity ! The people who think he is arrogant are totally stupid ! They are the arrogant ones !

In France, I think people have a different perception of him. Everybody I know agrees to say he is a great musician. I haven't met people who don't like him, yet !

As for his colourful clothes and long hair... I just LOVE them ! I like colours and I'm fed up with all those bald or shaved men ! Please, Mika, don't change your look !

oh, but he HAS achieved success, a chart topping album and first single....he has only just begun!:thumb_yello:

Haha yeah that's true, sorry, the part about success didn't come out quite right! I think I meant that it's gonna be harder for him to get to a place where the majority agree that he's great, and his critics will probably stick around, being critical, for longer. Grrr, don't you just hate fans of mediocrity?

Ocean Fairy, what you said is also true about me. I have never, ever been so astounded by a singer... or joined a fan club - ANY fanclub, movies, actors and musicians included - but Mika is something else. Huge talent, and can't wait to see where he goes next!

xox

I have never travelled more than 90 miles to see someone perform ever, but this week I'm crossing the channel to Ireland to see Mika play. That's how much I admire him as an artist. And I don't care if anyone thinks I'm stupid or crazy for doing it, anyone who can instill this level of happiness in me, especially at the moment when I'm going through a pretty stressful time of late, has got to be good.

I don't understand why people would think he was arrogant. I went to the Culture Show filming and although I didn't have the confidence to go to speak to him, those who did were not pushed to one side or dismissed, but he quite happily talked to them and had photo's taken with them, and even when he was filming his perfomance, was laughing and joking with the crew and the audience, no diva like attitude at all.

I think because he like's to keep certain aspects of his life to himself, the press are getting snooty because they can't get the stories they really want, possibly why they are tagging him as arrogant, maybe to get a reaction. But Mika is better than that, he's already survived being bullied at school, so if the so called journo's think they can push him around, they'll be sadly mistaken.

exactly, to add to my original thoughts..

the press cannot get much out of him so they have to go round gold digging and then they usually only fabricate about one topic only ( no need to drag this up again)

Mika once said in an interview when asked whether he's never up to something...'of course but that's up to you to find, i'm not making your job easier for you..'.

so there, good on him, he will take them all on and win, but it will be hard work in the UK

Arrogant!!! , look how many top artists could be considered that .. Bono , freddie M for definate (wouldnt even talk to the media!) , Robbie etc etc .... I thinks it a great quality for a star to be considered that , then again I found him to be warm when i saw him live and friendly , doesnt come across to me as being arrogant at all.

This little island loves to build people up and knock em down!

This little island loves to build people up and knock em down!

yes ...so true

over here people seem to revel in failure ..like being successful and different to the mainstream is something to be ashamed of ,or be scared of *shrug* their loss!

success is not a bad thing!

and arrogant? Mika? ..please ..!:sneaky2:

He was an absolute peach on saturday night ..he didn't have to come out ..he was in the corridor and walking away, when he saw me and he immediately came over and then saw everyone else waiting.

Granted he looked a little startled, but he was super friendly and sweet to everyone...he also seemed genuinely touched and happy ( I felt) that people were waiting :mf_lustslow: He didn't have to do that he could have easily just slipped away out the other door.

If that's being arrogant then I give up!

I have got my seven-year-old niece, my cousin and even my mum to listen to his music and they all agree that he is fab. My niece adores Big Girl and Lollipop (she even sings it). My cousin also agrees with me that he has to be the most beautiful man alive. Coming from my cousing that is a compliment.

Ocean Fairy, what you said is also true about me. I have never, ever been so astounded by a singer... or joined a fan club - ANY fanclub, movies, actors and musicians included - but Mika is something else. Huge talent, and can't wait to see where he goes next!

xox

Totally true here too. I heard one song and went on a one girl mission to find the man behind Grace Kelly. This was new to me. I usually bought CDs cos they were £1 in the Woolies bargain bin, not cos they were any good.

Long live the Mika revolution!

Totally true here too. I heard one song and went on a one girl mission to find the man behind Grace Kelly. This was new to me. I usually bought CDs cos they were £1 in the Woolies bargain bin, not cos they were any good.

Long live the Mika revolution!

Oh lol same here I'm not one for buying cd's either but I pegged it out of the house with my mum the day it came out to buy it. My mum was like I've never seen you get ready so fast :naughty: