The incredible Mika Review 26/02/07

andi

The incredible MikaFeb 26 2007

By The Evening Chronicle

Watching Mika perform his hour-long set at Northumbria Union was like spending an hour skipping down the Yellow Brick Road.

Brimming with colour and creativity, and with a lady dressed-up as a doll handing out lollipops, this made for one of the years most fun gigs.

Surprisingly, unlike a lot of the other popular music at the moment, there is barely a low, melancholic note to be heard in Mika's set.

Whether you like his music or not, there is no denying this braces-wearing exceptionally tall young man has an incredible voice.

Belting out songs including Grace Kelly, Lollipop, Love Today and My Interpretation, the Beirut-born star didn't put a foot, or get a note wrong. And the crowd loved every minute of it.

Despite the venue change from Newcastle University to Northumbria, Mika's gig was worth every penny.

And bless him, he even made a special point of thanking those in the crowd who bought their tickets "before all this crazy hype kicked off".

Unbeknown to some, it has taken Mika more than a decade to fight his way into the charts with his unique-sounding melodies and engaging hooks. His music is about as far from what we now deem cool as it can be but if you want uplifting, well-sung cleverly written songs, Mika's your man.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for that. Good review nice to read something so positive again

this bit puzzles me:

His music is about as far from what we now deem cool as it can be but if you want uplifting, well-sung cleverly written songs, Mika's your man

what do we deem as cool?

Surely there is such a diverse musictaste and music to satisfy most, cool or uncool. It is in the eye of the beholder

Again this only tells me that people are not ready for his deliveries nor his songwriting, what are they scared of - to let go?

I can't say that I have ever wanted to just listen to safe music. Okay I raise my hands to having and likng CDs by Coldplay and Keane and Snow Patrol because they do have certain songs on them that get my attention. But I am more attracted to music that is quirky with interesting hooks, baselines and drumbeats, that twist and turn, not just the steady plodding all the way through. This is why I love the Scissor Sisters, Queen, the Flaming Lips, The Killers (Ronnie IS the greatest drummer on the planet), J C Chasez (if you listen to his Schizophrenic CD you'll understand, "Shake It" performed with Basement Jaxx is a classic track for me) the aforementioned Basement Jaxx, Groove Armada, Zero 7 (the first album is the best), Supergrass (in the early years before they got all serious) ELO, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, Thompson Twins (Into The Gap, great album, Lay Your Hands on Me, best single), Glen Miller (my dads influence), Tchicovsky's 1812 Oveture ( my mums influence) Madam Butterfly (my best friends influence).

I could go on, but to get to the point all this brought me to Mika and how I love his music with it's twists and turns little subtle nuances that catch you totally off guard and get under you skin, the baseline at the beginning of Grace Kelly, the guitar on Love Today, all his pianowork especially on Over My Shoulder, so haunting, the way he uses his voice when he isn't singing (Love Today at the beginning when he goes boom boom boom boom boom boom while playing the piano), the soulfulness in songs like In Any Other World, the happiness in songs like Lollipop, all together makes for a record with exciting variety, not safe blandness.

thanks Freddiesdoubble,

I know I spend my life and time defending Mika, but it is simply because I think we give him a raw deal here.

I really do believe that, after the initial hype in Jan, the ones who are supposed to be in the knowhow suddenly realised that Mika is not what they wanted him to be, namely a Marionette they can play around with to suit their style, but

that he is someone of much higher talent, taste and individuality than they wanted him to be, and that frightens them, therefore he gets mostly unintelligent and shortsighted press coverage, it is as if they are trying to convince us that he is pure middle of the road camp(this word creeps up again! I hate it !) pop

I think that the continent and The USA will treat him differently, they are less hung-up about things

thanks Freddiesdoubble,

I know I spend my life and time defending Mika, but it is simply because I think we give him a raw deal here.

I really do believe that, after the initial hype in Jan, the ones who are supposed to be in the knowhow suddenly realised that Mika is not what they wanted him to be, namely a Marionette they can play around with to suit their style, but

that he is someone of much higher talent, taste and individuality than they wanted him to be, and that frightens them, therefore he gets mostly unintelligent and shortsighted press coverage, it is as if they are trying to convince us that he is pure middle of the road camp(this word creeps up again! I hate it !) pop

I think that the continent and The USA will treat him differently, they are less hung-up about things

Yeh they will be gutted hes been number 1 in the album and single charts , long may he reign !

thanks Freddiesdoubble,

I'm with you all the way, Steph, and I would hope that certainly the continent would be kinder and more receptive to Mika and his music, but I'm not too sure about the USA ... I know Scissor Sisters have found it more difficult over there (their home country). They feel music lovers are more open and receptive in the UK than the USA, I don't know if it is because 3 of their band members are gay that they have more "trouble" (for want of a better word). Certainly their music does not find too much favour with those in charge of playlists.

Good luck anyway Mika, I am so pleased for the success he is having. His shows are so refreshing and lively, and it is so obvious that the band have a fantastic bond, and have a good time on stage.

I think as a musician, i couldn't give a damn when i perform what some critic thinks, and mika, well mikas amazing, and if he wanted a real review hed just have to look on here, and see how his music has inspired, and infact, he doesnt need to look this far, When he's on that stage all he has to do is look down at the crowd, and well there is all the praise he needs, :0 i would take a guess that this man isn't as superficial to need praise from critics, he inspires and moves people, with songs he wrote about his own emotions, that would impress me enough

:)

[currently listening to Billy Brown]

Rob, yes you're right, but bad press still hurts, no matter how thick skinned you are, and Mika has had his fair share of it, mainly because I feel that people are scared to... but I don't want to go into this (if you are interested in my thoughts on this subject, read 'why are we so scared as a nation' a thread I posted a couple of days ago)

I read somewhere that Mika is quite sensitive and in spite of all what we think he gets very upset by people's comments and negative press coverage. This album is a masterpiece and yet it is dismissed by many critics, how would you feel?