Hi from a small country nobody knows haha

cath85

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I like your national language!

A Dutch woman I know moved to Luxemburg when she was 19 (she is over 40 now). We meet in the Netherlands occasionally and it's nice to hear her talking on the phone then with her husband and friends. To me it sounds like a friendly German dialect.

Sorry, it's about languages again, I'm quite a language freak! ;)

never mind I'm a language freak too :)

it sounds a bit like German that's true since it is from the same "language family". It is considered a language though, not a dialect. I guess you speak Dutch? you must understand a bit of our language then, because when I hear Dutch a few words sound like Luxembourgish

Yes it does! It sounds quite similar to Dutch indeed. I remember from the early times of commercial tv that we had some programs in Letzebuergs here (an historical thing, resulting from strict media rules in Holland and so, anyhow broadcasting from Luxembourg was allowed). We got those programs in Letzebuergs as a service in return (Hei Elei Kuk Elei or something like that) :naughty:. Still a few Dutch commercial tv stations have 'RTL' in their name though.

Anyway, what about Mika in Luxembourg? Is he coming up there too at the moment?

Yes it does! It sounds quite similar to Dutch indeed. I remember from the early times of commercial tv that we had some programs in Letzebuergs here (an historical thing, resulting from strict media rules in Holland and so, anyhow broadcasting from Luxembourg was allowed). We got those programs in Letzebuergs as a service in return (Hei Elei Kuk Elei or something like that) :naughty:. Still a few Dutch commercial tv stations have 'RTL' in their name though.

Anyway, what about Mika in Luxembourg? Is he coming up there too at the moment?

you got that right, but today it's not called "hei elei kuck elei" anymore, it was a stupid name anyway :roftl:

yeah he's been known here for a while I think we all are always a bit ahead :P he's actually already falling in the charts! I don't know how I could not have noticed him before, but I guess that is because I'm in France much of the time for uni and here English music always finds its way a bit later

thanks all you're so nice!

lol yes the capital has the same name as the country, but I don't live in the capital, but in a VERY small village outside lol

I'm sure though there are people from other continents who don't know where it is...

Well there surely is people who doesn't know about my country either... :naughty:

• 11 months later...
Hi!

I registered a few days ago so I thought it was time to make my presentation!

I'm from Luxembourg, it is a small country in Europe for those who don't know...:wink2:

I know your country and have even been to its capital - Luxemburg :biggrin2: ...just 3 hours from Brussels - it was a nice trip. I am sure you enjoy living there:wink2:

I know your country and have even been to its capital - Luxemburg :biggrin2: ...just 3 hours from Brussels - it was a nice trip. I am sure you enjoy living there:wink2:

yeah I actually do. it's even closer to brussels, like 2 hours only I think.

thank you guys :wink2:

I don't know how you thought we wouldn't know.

Oldies like me grew up with Radio Luxembourg - :boxed:

I've heard from people from the US and the UK that they don't know where it is :naughty:

huh? :blink:

Phil·is·tine (fĭl'ĭ-stēn', fĭ-lĭs'tĭn, -tēn') Pronunciation Key

n.

A member of an Aegean people who settled ancient Philistia around the 12th century B.C.

A smug, ignorant, especially middle-class person who is regarded as being indifferent or antagonistic to artistic and cultural values.

One who lacks knowledge in a specific area.

Phil·is·tine (fĭl'ĭ-stēn', fĭ-lĭs'tĭn, -tēn') Pronunciation Key

n.

A member of an Aegean people who settled ancient Philistia around the 12th century B.C.

A smug, ignorant, especially middle-class person who is regarded as being indifferent or antagonistic to artistic and cultural values.

One who lacks knowledge in a specific area.

haha thanks. I googled it :naughty: I'll die less stupid I guess :bleh: