Mika hopes critics to stop comparing him to Queen.

Sity

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're all trying to convince ourselves that Mika could NEVER say such a stupid thing.. I do trust in Mika's intelligence and everything and I'm sure that this is the typical 'press-story'... but what would you think if we discovered that it's all true?

would we accept it? (this question probably involves Freddie's fans above all...i think)

Well of course he does not want to be compared to anyone cause Mika is Mika,I only ever thought about comparing him to Freddie when I first heard Grace Kelly and that's because he sang about it.Then I've heard the whole album and now I would not compare him to anyone.

And about image:They're totally different so what's your problem?

We're all trying to convince ourselves that Mika could NEVER say such a stupid thing.. I do trust in Mika's intelligence and everything and I'm sure that this is the typical 'press-story'... but what would you think if we discovered that it's all true?

would we accept it? (this question probably involves Freddie's fans above all...i think)

haha, i don't care! But I still hate when the press are just quiting people, making what they said into something new!

For me he could be some old disgusting man, who...

It must be a little bit annoying to be compared with other people all the time.

If Mika said that, he was probably joking, which the journalist "missunderstood"....

I love Mika's style, it cant be compared with anyone elses :)

Fine with me if he has said he doesn't want to be compared to Queen, but it's not gonna stop me from doing it :blink: He can say what he wants, it's not gonna change how great his music is, but on the other hand it's not gonna change my opinion and how I hear it either :mf_rosetinted:

Fine with me if he has said he doesn't want to be compared to Queen, but it's not gonna stop me from doing it :blink: He can say what he wants, it's not gonna change how great his music is, but on the other hand it's not gonna change my opinion and how I hear it either :mf_rosetinted:

That's good!! :thumb_yello:

Although the thing was only about critics...

I agree with you, freddie:thumb_yello:

Also by nature Mika has associated himself with Freddie , he recorded a version of grace kelly on freds piano , he name checked him on grace kelly , he is all over brian mays website etc, I personally think he was mis quoted , I dont believe the press sometimes .....:thumb_yello:

Does anyone know where this was published???

I just posted the New York Daily News article:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2200

But as I say, I don't trust the NY Daily News to be 100 percent accurate and unbiased -- they're pretty much tabloidy like the Sun or the Daily Mirror in the UK.

dcdeb

I just posted the New York Daily News article:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2200

But as I say, I don't trust the NY Daily News to be 100 percent accurate and unbiased -- they're pretty much tabloidy like the Sun or the Daily Mirror in the UK.

dcdeb

Hey thanks! , I though of the Sun straight away :thumb_yello:

Sorry looks like I was too late there with the link....!!

Anyway, I don't know if Mika has been quoted out of context, it does happen even in respected circles. I feel that the author here is somewhat scathing of him:

case you miss the point, he titled his enjoyably unhinged debut, out today, "Life in Cartoon Motion."

The part where he mentions that Mika is tired of bein compared to Freddy Mercury he immmediately follows his own interview with a comparison!!: Like Queen's Freddie Mercury, Mika was born outside the U.K.: Mercury in Tanzania, Mika in Lebanon.

He won't disclose it, a move that seems so 10 years ago- the authors own opinion...

I suppose if you were to put yourself in his shoes, being continuously compared to someone else (remember when our mum's used to say, some still do, why can't you be like your elder/younger brother/sister) you somehow feel that they're not seeing you for who you are...it is disheartening.

Having said that Mika has to remember that he will be quoted and scrutunised on heavily, esp in America where he is just breaking out- so be careful.

• 3 weeks later...

These news that say he wants critics to stop comparing him to Freddie make no sense, since it contradicts what he said on the BBC Interview:

"The comparisons to Freddie Mercury are fine," the 23-year-old says.

"They started long before I made the record - I've even referred to it in Grace Kelly.

"A Freddie comparison is a compliment. He's a genius and one of the best there's ever been."

You can even hear him say it himself in the interview video.

It is a double edged sword to be compared to and to sound like someone as unique as Freddie. I know Mika enjoys the attention and patronage of people like Brian May...who wouldn't, especially this early in his career. I heard him say however that he isn't as big a Queen fan as some would like him to be (oh, that sent a little dagger in my heart...:boxed: ) I think it must be very frustrating to work so hard on your own work then to have it passed off as a clone of someone else's work. Mika's music clearly is not a merely a Queen tribute or rip off. I can understand how he would want to distance himself from Freddie somewhat, and I can understand how annoying it must be to go to interview after interview and have the same thing said to you...."You sound like Freddie..." When his sound is so fresh and nothing else out there sounds like him now he gets people asking him if he's retro. And he isn't.

Aw man, so we won't be seeing Mika in a unitard?! Bummer. No but really if anything I think Mika said it as a joke or didn't say it at all. The press is always trying to make something out of nothing.