low first week sales for mika in america

River

Casablanca/Universal Republic’s Mika, another U.K. star seeking cross-oceanic success, will debut with around 30k, followed by Universal Motown’s Kaiser Chiefs, yet one more neo-British Invasion critical fave looking to make inroads with stateside rock fans.

dunno how europe and america's taste can be so different.

let's hope he'll do an corinne bailey rae (who debuted with just 20k and have went on to sell 1.2 million records in america)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Casablanca/Universal Republic’s Mika, another U.K. star seeking cross-oceanic success, will debut with around 30k, followed by Universal Motown’s Kaiser Chiefs, yet one more neo-British Invasion critical fave looking to make inroads with stateside rock fans.

dunno how europe and america's taste can be so different.

let's hope he'll do an corinne bailey rae (who debuted with just 20k and have went on to sell 1.2 million records in america)

i dont get it either....

i wish more european music arrivd to the USA....people are missing a lot here...

im used to european music because thats what we usually listened to in Israel... but i was opened for american music to :)

now american people need to b open for european music!!!

COME ON PEOPLE!!!! open your ears!!! ure missind something GOOD!!!!!

oh and...HI RIVER! *wave* long time no see...

im used to european music because thats what we usually listened to in Israel... but i was opened for american music to :)

I'm used to European music as well! I think we prefer it over here in the Middle East :)

I was going through my playlist and I realised most of my music stems from Europe! hehe

Regarding his US debut...what would be a "good" debut?!!

Oh no! Americanos's having bad taste in music!

I prefer european music too.. American is the same (not all of it i know!)..

All the big popsingers sings the same songs and so on! It's boring !

A proper debut would be 100K+ unit sales in the North American market.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked: :shocked: How could that happen?

*mad mad world*

Oh, that's sad... :blink:

Well, maybe he then really is rather unknown there...

The problem can't be with his music, the sound is GOOD!

Im sure one day he'll conquer the North American markets.

then hip hop's really gonna die... (sorry, it's my own opinion it sucks)

Oh, that's sad... :blink:

Well, maybe he then really is rather unknown there...

The problem can't be with his music, the sound is GOOD!

Yeah, lets blame the american people! At least soem people have been saved (20k)

i don't think that's such a bad thing...i mean, as long as people are coming to the shows and downloading his tracks, he's getting across to an ever audience and it's only a matter of time before they get obsessed enough to buy the record

yes that's sad but no for mika, for the american people! Because mika may want to succed in the USA but he already has a lot of fans and european people are in love with him!

But america sticks to the same music always the same rappers talking about booty shaking and f***ing ! The same rock music, the same R&B and that is sad for them!

I must admitt that in France we also have some stupid artists! and i don't understand why tony parker chose france to make music! although he's french i don't understand why we have to suffer!!!!

30,000 isn't as bad as you are making it out to be. It's actually quite good, considering the lack of radio support going for "Grace Kelly". Keep in mind that overall record sales in the U.S. are down. The #1 album in the U.S. a few months back sold 60,000+ units. Overall sales are still down, so he'll probably still debut within the Top 25 on the albums tally.

Much of the music that gets airplay and heavy exposure right now in America is R&B and rap, which, while I like music of both genres, explains why I mostly lean to European taste for variety and originality. There's little room for new and upcoming acts to break through in America with such narrow-minded, segmented radio formats.

In any case, look at Robbie Williams and Scissor Sisters. They don't see in America anywhere close to the numbers they see in Europe in terms of sales. Robbie's last 3 albums haven't even been released in America. I remember I was excited to just get 'Escapalogy' here, and I'm not even that big of a fan. So, don't worry about it too much. There's always the Internet for exposure beyond radio, and there's always Europe.

But if you listen to the N Americans on this board, not many of them have seen or heard Mika on the TV or radio, and if they have, it has mostly been this last week.

We had Grace Kelly at no 1 in the charts for a few weeks before LICM was released, maybe that is one of the differences?

Also, it's a bit like when I first became infatuated, I couldn't believe that other people couldn't identify the first chord of a Mika song almost before it began, being on this board, I kind of half believed that everyone thought like us! :naughty:

I must admitt that in France we also have some stupid artists! and i don't understand why tony parker chose france to make music! although he's french i don't understand why we have to suffer!!!!

Haha! You made made laugh!

World is an odd place indeed.

Why is there music or artists out there who only make people suffer? :naughty:

I think he just isn't as well known in the states as he is in Europe..while I'm from Canada I hadn't heard of him at all until I saw his video on Much Music..

I hope he does well in the states though, I think hes doing good in Canada, his video still gets plays, not sure about on the radio though, don't listen to the radio that much.

I've seen Mika once on tv here, and that was the tonight show. They have Love Today as the music on some random commercial that I can't really think of, but thats about it. I try distance myself from the typical American whose music tastes aren't that great, but there are some of us, like myself and the other Americans here at the Mika message boards that stray away from the norm. I know its probably tiring to hear Mika being compared to these two artists, but Scissor Sisters are very successful outside the U.S., as was Queen. So being popular in the U.S. dosen't necessarily mean much if you've got strong support elsewhere - the only reason the goal is to be huge here is the fact that its one of the larger markets for records, for example, the biggest selling record ever in the U.S. was around 30 million copies, while the biggest selling record ever in the U.K (Queen's Greatest Hits! yay!) was 5 million copies...so yeah :blink:

No way! That stinks! I thought for sure he'd sell TONS here! I've been telling all my friends about MIKA! I love him! (I live in America) & I went out & bought 2 CDS myself. Although, I do admit that I have way different taste in music than practically everyone I know. Teens here just don't get it...they like boring music w/ no harmony.

That true, it's as if harmony scares them. If you can understand the words to a song, many teens just are not interested. This is what I want to know, is this 30,000 number a projected number or is this the number already sold? I mean if its what ever has been sold, it hasn't even been a full week yet. And if it's a projected number, well you never can tell. I've notice on itunes that Mika's CD is running at #8.