Entertainment Weekly: Life in Cartoon Motion Review

dcdeb

Well, it's not an "A", and the reviewer is fairly dismissive, but at least she's not negative... that's at least something good...

Especially after the so-so NY Times review and news of the slow US sales :(

Music Review

Life in Cartoon Motion (2007)

Mika

Release Date: Mar 27, 2007; Lead Performance: Mika; Genre: Pop

B+

By Beth Johnson

On Life in Cartoon Motion, his giddy debut, Londoner Mika is an amalgam of nearly every saucy Brit to falsetto his way down the pop pike, from Freddie Mercury to Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears. C'mon, play the matching game! What is ''Big Girl''? An update of Queen's ''Fat Bottomed Girls''! How about ''Relax''? A Bee Gees-ish shout-out to Frankie Goes to Hollywood! Nothing quite matches the crystal-shattering exuberance of hit ''Grace Kelly,'' but singing along doesn't get much cheerier than with this Cartoon. B+

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20016447,00.html

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I would put this in the so-so category like the New York Times review. The New York Times was fairly complimentary except for saying Mika lacked heart. Both are better than the un-researched L.A. Times review.

Why does the reviewer say Jake Shears is a "Brit"? Isn't he American?

Why does the reviewer say Jake Shears is a "Brit"? Isn't he American?

Yep, I'm pretty sure he is. But Scissor Sisters has had huge success in the UK, more than in the US, so I guess it's an honest mistake to ass/u/me that he's British.

dcdeb

I think he really deserves to be listened to properly...by the critics,,, rather that come up with boring old comparisons..they should learn to understand the artist...

oh how much I hate these writers, wake up you lot, you will regret it....Mika is!