Mika speaks out about the bullies in UK Cosmogirl

Thanks so much for posting this!

Yeh, I was and still am bullied to this very day. People make fun of my clothes and the stuff I do, really pisses me off, but its just something I've grown accustomed to. Sad that I have gotten used to it, but hey.

I second the "have you been bullied" thread.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very interesting article thx for posting !:thumb_yello:

I was bullied a lot as kid and in the end, it only made me stronger, and I think that's what happened to Mika as well. I think it's great that he speaks out about this, a lot of kids are in this situation and it's nice that they can have someone to look up to, who got through it and who is a better person now because of it.

thanks again!

yes...that really explains his maturity, or at least the way he handles himself in public- being around adults and being exposed to all of this at such a young age- it really changes you.

Thanks for sharing....i was also bullied...by high school i learned to stand up for myself and not take their crud anymore. Its a horrible thing what children do to other children these days.

Yes, they can be so really mean. Hate peoples like that! Even now when I`m not such a small kid, I sometimes get bullied at school but Mika helped me. I mean it! I took an example from Mika and now I can stand up for myself. It feels so good. :thumb_yello:

From experience, I have learnt that it is all character building. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

I appreciate Mika opening up and sharing parts of his past experiences with us.

And for the record... I think he is an incredible, beautiful man- inside (and out)... and after all he has endured... he is now working his way to the top... with thousands of people that see the best in him, and love, admire and respect him.

Aussie :insane:

• 3 years later...
Mika is in May's UK version of Cosmo girl. He answers 6 quickfire questions and then goes on to speak in detail about how bullying 'messed him up' and how he overcame it...

Here it is as it is written in the magazine:

MIKA

Can the Grace Kelly singer face six of CG!'s best?

1. What's your guilty pleasure?

Hollyoaks. I like the kid who gets in trouble. You know - Justin.

2. Who's the worst-smelling celebrity you've ever met?

Most celebrities stink! It's all that cheap perfume and hairspray.

3. What's your biggest turn-on?

I love UK regional accents. I fall for people when i ring call centres...

4. And your biggest turn-off?

People who try to hard and anyone who is too much of a WAG

5. What were you like at school?

I was a strange kid. I was bullied. I played my first gig at 11, which made me a target. But it taught me people take you seriously outside of school.

6. How did you deal with it?

At first i didn't tell anyone and it messed me up. Finally, i told my teachers and family. Speaking up is one of the best ways to cope.

I also found this on the cosmo girl website.... enjoi!

Mika: How I beat the bullies

The Grace Kelly star reveals how he overcame bullies who targeted him for being ‘different'...An easy target

"I was lucky enough to do music from an early age, so when I had my first gig at the age of 11, I started to spend loads of time out of school working. Unfortunately it made me a target in school where you have this Lord Of The Flies fake world where you either worship the leader or you get trodden on. The other kids chose their victim and ganged up on me. It was something I just had to get through."

Feeling alone

"I had trouble with teachers too. You'd think that if you had trouble with other kids in your class, then you'd be the teacher's pet, but it's really not the case. I felt like I had teachers who wanted to destroy me too."

Speaking up

"For a while I didn't have anyone to talk to about it and it messed me up. It led to me being pulled out of school and taught at home. Finally, because it was so bad, I had to start speaking to people about it, and thank god I did, as talking about it is one of the most important parts of dealing with bullying. There were a few teachers who wanted to do everything they could to try to help me so I spoke to them and turned to my family too."

Saved by music

"Luckily I had my music where, even at the age of 12, I was being treated like an adult. I was being paid, so if I messed up it was far worse than handing in a piece of homework late. I suppose it just made me get through school because I realised that the bullying wasn't the way people really behaved."

Moving on

"It's not about making the bullying stop, it's all about how you deal with it. The one thing you shouldn't do is underplay it as bullying is disgusting and can really hurt people for the rest of their lives. The best thing you can do to protect yourself, especially in the long term, is stop trying to ignore it and deal with it by speaking to someone who can help."

Found this old short interview by sheer chance. Quite an interesting reading! :thumb_yello: