Mika Article from Elle

Yes I cut it outta a library magazine shhh but anyways I'll type it out. Its from the April Elle Magazine.

Artful Crasher

From Beirut to center stage,wunderkind Mika draws himself into the spotlight.

Just a few years ago, newly minted Britpop sensation Mika was a hazel-eyed cater-waiter with steely ambition.

One evening, instead of passing cocktails, he blagged his way into a music industry bash and hijacked the stage, performing five of his own songs.

He chalks up the move to "confidence or delirium. Both in equal measure, probably."

These days, Mika doesn't need to crash parties. "I'm welcome now,which is far less fun," he says, laughing. He topped the British charts in January with his playful single "Grace Kelly," and on MySpace buzz about his forthcoming album, Life in Cartoon Motion, has reached fever pitch.

Insiders are claiming the lanky, wild-haired 23-year-old with a killer falsetto is part Price,part Freddie Mercury. And it probably doesn't hurt that he looks like a young Mick Jagger (with the benefits of greatly improved British dentistry).

"I didn't want to make an album for middle-class dinner parties," Mika says of his big, disco infused sound. Growing up in a boho family of five, the Lebonon-born singer remembers, "Our house was like a creative play-ground."

After moving to London as a child, his talent landed him at the Royal Opera House, where he discovered a love for high-octane theatricality. "Jean Coctea called it red and gold syndrome," he says. "In the windowless world of theater, everything is magical illusion."

Illusion if a major theme of Mika's work. He's created cartoom illustrations and videos for his album that have scored him a partnership with MTV. His animations and his music are now running on the networks' promos. "I wanted to create a whole world for my music," Mika says. "If I weren't a musician, I'd probably be some completely mad illustrator."

But onstage Mika shines when his studied charm meets high-camp dance moves. "For me, its all just play. I could do it every night."

-Sarah Horne

Wow that took me like half an hour to type :bleh:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick Jagger?! :blink:

Sorry, I don't see it. (And I don't see it as a compliment, but that's just me...)

Otherwise, a very nice piece! Thanks for sharing!

dcdeb

I do get sick of American cracks about British dentistry though. For goodness sake, this harks back to the last world war I think. And our ancestors had to do without more than a few fillings and braces too! I am older than I care to admit and have had regular dental treatment every 6 months since I was a small child. (as well as - shock, horror, - brushing my teeth morning and night, with toothpaste! and an electric toothbrush now, oh and a bit of flossing and mouthwash thrown in for good measure :shocked: )

Let's put this urban myth back into history where it belongs.

Spread the word, my American friends, thank you.

I do get sick of American cracks about British dentistry though. For goodness sake, this harks back to the last world war I think. And our ancestors had to do without more than a few fillings and braces too! I am older than I care to admit and have had regular dental treatment every 6 months since I was a small child. (as well as - shock, horror, - brushing my teeth morning and night, with toothpaste! and an electric toothbrush now, oh and a bit of flossing and mouthwash thrown in for good measure :shocked: )

Let's put this urban myth back into history where it belongs.

Spread the word, my American friends, thank you.

:roftl: will do!