Thank you Mrs. Penniman

titania

I'd be curious to know how much credit Mika gives his mother for his success to date.

In my own situation, I'd hastily correct anyone who wanted to give props to my mother for any positive traits I may have - but my upbringing wasn't exactly roses and sunshine, and my relationship with her today is still rather precarious.

But in Mika's case, it seems his mother really did go to bat for him - one interview recently revealed that while he was out of school and focusing on his music lessons, his mother kept the fact that a minor was out of school a secret from the school board. Despite having four other kids to attend to, she managed to evaluate what her oldest son needed, and to do her best to provide that for him.

I'm clearly only speculating, but I would bet that if Mika were born to less caring, less supportive parents... well, we all wouldn't be hanging out on this website today. :wub2:

mmhmmm I agree :thumb_yello:

my upbringing wasn't great neither both my parents suck but I think Mika's are nice:wink2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you Mr Penniman and Mrs Penniman for giving us the brilliance and happiness of Mika and his music!!!! :flowers2:

imagine what we would be doing now if Mika had stayed in school and never learned to sing as well as he does today? :shocked:

nope i don't want to...:biggrin2:

thank you Mr Penniman and Mrs Penniman for giving us the brilliance and happiness of Mika and his music!!!! :flowers2:

imagine what we would be doing now if Mika had stayed in school and never learned to sing as well as he does today? :shocked:

nope i don't want to...:biggrin2:

Amen...

Can't believe I'd never seen this thread before!

Mrs P is wonderful! I've only ever spoken to her once, it was backstage at Manchester back in 2007. She was so nice to Marc and me, we told her we were huige fans of her son and that she had done an amazing job, she gave us both a hug for that! :wub2:

• 7 months later...

This seems like a good moment like any other to say how sweet and lovely Mika's mum is, and how much Mika's shows are also dependent on her (and Yasmine). She's always been so sweet, caring and accommodating, taking care of the LG and BG's at these gigs, that it's worth another mention IMO.

We :wub2: you, Mama P :blush-anim-cl:.

This seems like a good moment like any other to say how sweet and lovely Mika's mum is, and how much Mika's shows are also dependent on her (and Yasmine). She's always been so sweet, caring and accommodating, taking care of the LG and BG's at these gigs, that it's worth another mention IMO.

We :wub2: you, Mama P :blush-anim-cl:.

:aah:

Even the band call her Mama P now :naughty::teehee:

And JohnnieBoy too :lmfao: The first time he did it, I had to do a double take and pull him up on it, I could NOT believe my ears :roftl:

John - Mika's Tour Manager - calls her Mama.P?! For realz?! OMG they're such a bunch of stalkers :roftl:

John - Mika's Tour Manager - calls her Mama.P?! For realz?! OMG they're such a bunch of stalkers :roftl:

He just learns from the best :naughty:. Actually, he's like a little monkey: just listens and repeats what he hears :roftl:. I :wub2: John.

He just learns from the best :naughty:. Actually, he's like a little monkey: just listens and repeats what he hears :roftl:. I :wub2: John.

So do I :wub2:

I can't believe I accidentally called him Jerry at the first ever Hammersmith gig.

yes thank you once again Mrs.P for all the hard work and for acctually raising Mika in the 1st place :wub2:

I was sooo pleased SILVER did acctually get some of us together and raided our purses:naughty: lol for some pennies to get Mrs P and Yasmine some flowers at Bristol, they seemed really chuffed to get them, it felt good to let them know we appreciate them also. :biggrin2:

Mama P was so sweet when I sent her a little Japanese gift after the Belfast show (via John).....she made me my own special M&G after the Dublin show to say thanks:roftl:, and I got to chat to her backstage for what felt like 10 minutes. :teehee:

She was genuinely surprised to get the gift...but you know, she has done an amazing job supporting M through thick and thin...I admire her as a mother and as a person.... but I suppose she didn't expect me to be there from Japan...who knows...anyway, I will treasure her words for a long time.:wub2:

Mama P was so sweet when I sent her a little Japanese gift after the Belfast show (via John).....she made me my own special M&G after the Dublin show to say thanks:roftl:, and I got to chat to her backstage for what felt like 10 minutes. :teehee:

She was genuinely surprised to get the gift...but you know, she has done an amazing job supporting M through thick and thin...I admire her as a mother and as a person.... but I suppose she didn't expect me to be there from Japan...who knows...anyway, I will treasure her words for a long time.:wub2:

OMG I didn't know that, Mama P is AWESOME.

yes thank you once again Mrs.P for all the hard work and for acctually raising Mika in the 1st place :wub2:

I was sooo pleased SILVER did acctually get some of us together and raided our purses:naughty: lol for some pennies to get Mrs P and Yasmine some flowers at Bristol, they seemed really chuffed to get them, it felt good to let them know we appreciate them also. :biggrin2:

I would have loved to chip in, but sadly we didn't know about the flowers :dunno: Maybe you decided to send them before we got there?

OMG I didn't know that, Mama P is AWESOME.

Yes, it WAS incredible. When John came out after the gig, shouting: "Where's Iona?!" and took her in, saying that Mama P was looking for her, we were all floored :roftl:. And then she took ages to come back out so I thought she'd been abducted :naughty:.

Didn't she mention something about how much she loved your gift and how she had plans for it in the future?

Yes, it WAS incredible. When John came out after the gig, shouting: "Where's Iona?!" and took her in, saying that Mama P was looking for her, we were all floored :roftl:. And then she took ages to come back out so I thought she'd been abducted :naughty:.

Didn't she mention something about how much she loved your gift and how she had plans for it in the future?

Well first we didn't know WHY John was calling for me...I didn't even know why I got summoned backstage...:naughty: Of course, everyone in the queue was thinking it was a private M&G with the master himself:aah:

And yes, she did mention she might do something with it...we'll see....:wink2:

I would have loved to chip in, but sadly we didn't know about the flowers :dunno: Maybe you decided to send them before we got there?

We had planned the flowers the week before, and arranged to get them a couple of days before.

We didn't know you guys were coming, otherwise we'd have let you know.

First time meeting her properly at Birmingham, I was always a bit unsure about talking to her, but she was such a sweetheart, and very chatty, I was completely bowled over by her.

And again at Bristol, she was lovely to chat to, so friendly.

I think she is a wonderful woman, Mika's a lucky guy to have such a great mum.

Edited by RAK1

we must be too well behaved in montreal :naughty:

i've never seen john, mrs p, andy or anyone from the gang outside the venues before the concerts.

it could also be that january in montreal is not their kind of weather :teehee:

and second gig was seated, so they had no reason to come outside :aah:

the only time i saw yasmine was at the taping of a tv show.

I've only met Mika's mum once. Well, it wasn't exactly what you'd call a meeting. It was at the Bloomsbury Ballroom gig and Mika was singing Relax. I think. And I took a step backwards whilst recording...I think I kinda tripped or just turned to see where I was going...and who was right next to me...MAMA P HERSELF...I was a bit surprised to see her there so I just blurted out "Oh hello!!" and she just gave me a smile and carried on filming her son...:aah:

And then I carried on dancing like a loon :aah: I thought "do I tone it down so I don't act like a fool in front of her, or do I dance like she's not there so she can see the effect her son has on people, how happy he can make them?" So I just went for it :roftl:

Here it is actually...you don't see Mama P...just hear me greet her lol :aah:

at 4minutes

I've only met Mika's mum once. Well, it wasn't exactly what you'd call a meeting. It was at the Bloomsbury Ballroom gig and Mika was singing Relax. I think. And I took a step backwards whilst recording...I think I kinda tripped or just turned to see where I was going...and who was right next to me...MAMA P HERSELF...I was a bit surprised to see her there so I just blurted out "Oh hello!!" and she just gave me a smile and carried on filming her son...:aah:

And then I carried on dancing like a loon :aah: I thought "do I tone it down so I don't act like a fool in front of her, or do I dance like she's not there so she can see the effect her son has on people, how happy he can make them?" So I just went for it :roftl:

Here it is actually...you don't see Mama P...just hear me greet her lol :aah:

at 4minutes

:naughty: that's so cute! "hello" *keeps on bouncing*

Now that I've met her a few times, I can say with conviction that Mama P is a really awesome lady. :wub2:

Having seen her in action I get what Mika says about his family life not being sugary sweet like some '50s cookie mix commercial or something. I don't know about the rest of the family but Mika, Mama P and Yasmine are very honest with each other to the point of being blunt. But at the same time you can tell there's such a deep underlying respect for each other. I get the sense that at the end of the day they'd be very protective of each other.

I could be way off base - various Pennimans could be reading this and smirking because of how off the mark I am - but she strikes me as someone who would be very good at drawing on her own life experiences to give good advice. She's also very nurturing, and I that shows in how well adjusted her children seem to be, at least from a distance. :wub2:

sooooo sweet, fun, nice and careing. Got pretty surprised when she wanted to speak to me alone at the copenhagen gig about my lil "problem" she wanted to make sure that i was feeling 100% well and i would get to meet Mika even if i wasnt. Was sweet of her to give permission too... remember John told me in London that he had to ask "P" and his "client" if it was ok :wub2: