On the occasion of the 5-year anniversary of the first time I saw Mika

perform live:

[YOUTUBE]yZG7aFvA4FE[/YOUTUBE]

Thought some of the newer MFCers might enjoy seeing what it was

like "back in the good ol' days"... you know, back when Mika actually

toured the United States.

Just sayin'...

:fisch:

Deb, I STILL cannot believe I missed MIKA in my home town.

Sadly, I didn't 'discover' MIKA and his wonderfulness

until about a month after his engagement at the 9:30 Club. :doh:

Deb, I STILL cannot believe I missed MIKA in my home town.

Sadly, I didn't 'discover' MIKA and his wonderfulness

until about a month after his engagement at the 9:30 Club. :doh:

Such a shame, Alice. :itsok:

And honestly, the gig was amazing, because it was the first time I'd seen

him live after having waited and waited for what I thought (then) was a long

time. (If I only knew how LONG long could be, I wouldn't have complained

so much! :naughty: ) But what was even better was after the show, when

Jerry, Mika's then-manager, spotted our MFC banner and brought us all

upstairs for a semi-private meet-and-greet. It was really a great night. :wub2:

Such a shame, Alice. :itsok:

And honestly, the gig was amazing, because it was the first time I'd seen

him live after having waited and waited for what I thought (then) was a long

time. (If I only knew how LONG long could be, I wouldn't have complained

so much! :naughty: ) But what was even better was after the show, when

Jerry, Mika's then-manager, spotted our MFC banner and brought us all

upstairs for a semi-private meet-and-greet. It was really a great night. :wub2:

I'm STILL moaning 'n crying. Not to mention also missed MIKA's more recent HRC Annual Dinner performance too. He's GOT to return to DC.

(I've tried to tell him about three different performance venues in DC--one for each stage of his career-- AND also attempted (through twitter to Imma) to lure him here to take his mum to a fab museum that I KNOW she would enjoy.

http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/

Heck, my brother would even give the whole troop a great walking tour.

http://www.walkofthetowndc.com/

Although it seems they rarely carve out time to actually see interesting sites in the cities they tour. I remember after seeing him the first time in Philly, and going to a wonderful, big, old market the next day, actually feeling guilty 'cause I just knew MIKA would love it, but knew he had traveled right on to perform in BOSTON the very next night.)

page133_2.jpg

Reading Terminal Market: A Philly Highlight

http://traveleatrepeat.com/2011/08/23/reading-terminal-market-a-philly-highlight/

Reading Terminal Market, Philadelphia, PA

http://myownzen.blogspot.com/2012/02/reading-market-philadelphia-pa.html

map_large.gif

[Out of the bazillion things you can get to eat there,

I had chicken wings--basted with curry sauce, I think--

'cause I couldn't get MIKA out of my mind!]

4324485434_96497f8c54_o.jpg

That is all:

Animated_Cute_Skeleton_In_Closet-02mini.gif

Walk

out the

Door

Edited by A. Clay

Oh I'm sorry you missed it Alice, I didn't realize. So frustrating!! I remember this gig so well with reports coming back from various MFCers who had been waiting months to see him. Time moved interminably slowly back in 2007 it seemed. A month was like a year and we all thought we'd go mad if we didn't have a(nother) gig within months. :naughty:

I'm STILL moaning 'n crying. Not to mention also missed MIKA's more recent HRC Annual Dinner performance too. He's GOT to return to DC.

YES, he's GOT to! :pray:

Oh I'm sorry you missed it Alice, I didn't realize. So frustrating!! I remember this gig so well with reports coming back from various MFCers who had been waiting months to see him. Time moved interminably slowly back in 2007 it seemed. A month was like a year and we all thought we'd go mad if we didn't have a(nother) gig within months. :naughty:

I know! Have you re-read any of my posts from the beginning of this thread?

I was DESPERATE! :naughty:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=256956&postcount=144

Meanwhile... I'm sitting here now without a gig for nearly two years, and

no prospects in sight.

Well, maybe Montreal. Maybe. :crossed:

I know! Have you re-read any of my posts from the beginning of this thread?

I was DESPERATE! :naughty:

:lmfao: That's how I ended up in London, even though I'd already seen him in March. Desperate times. :freak:

Meanwhile... I'm sitting here now without a gig for nearly two years, and no prospects in sight.

I know who could have imagined that? I know so many people who haven't seen him for 2 years now. It's weird. The only reason I have is through dumb luck and extraordinary circumstances.

Well, maybe Montreal. Maybe. :crossed:

Yes!!! :D

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread as the perfect THROWBACK THURSDAY (for me, at least). :blush-anim-cl:

My very first MIKA show, right here in my city. Thought you newbies especially might find it funny to go back and read over some of these very early posts, and see :fangurl: Deb in action. :teehee:

Oh such happy memories. :wub2:

Bumping this thread as the perfect THROWBACK THURSDAY (for me, at least). :blush-anim-cl:

My very first MIKA show, right here in my city. Thought you newbies especially might find it funny to go back and read over some of these very early posts, and see :fangurl: Deb in action. :teehee:

Oh such happy memories. :wub2:

Thank you so much Deb :huglove:

That's a lovely idea :wub2:

Thank you so much Deb :huglove:

That's a lovely idea :wub2:

Thanks, Anne. June's been a very lucky Mika month for me. Three of my favorite gigs ever, for very different reasons. :wub2:

June 8, 2009 - Sadler's Wells in London

June 12, 2007 - Washington DC

June 23, 2009 - Le Poisson Rouge in NYC

I've been nostalgic all month! :wink2:

Thanks, Anne. June's been a very lucky Mika month for me. Three of my favorite gigs ever, for very different reasons. :wub2:

June 8, 2009 - Sadler's Wells in London

June 12, 2007 - Washington DC

June 23, 2009 - Le Poisson Rouge in NYC

I've been nostalgic all month! :wink2:

aww :huglove:

My Mika month has always been July :swoon::fangurl:

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I couldn't find the REVIEW thread. :dunno:

Here is an old review.

post-18723-0-65056200-1465771299_thumb.jpg

Mika rips on President Bush’s house (literally)

June 13, 2007 by mzawel

Lucked out big time yesterday and was able to score two tickets on craigslist to the sold-out Mika show at the 9:30 Club. (No cameras were allowed inside, the photo above is from his concert in Hong Kong although he was wearing the same outfit last night.) For those not yet in the know, Mika is a British pop sensation – trained by a Russian opera professional – whose single “Grace Kelly” reached number one on the UK Singles Chart in January. His debut U.S. album, Life in Cartoon Motion, released a month later.

And last night, Mika proved himself as truly a performer to those of us in the nation’s capital. It started with girls from the audience handing out lollipops by the box office and later included a Big Girl dancing on stage during “Big Girl (You Are Beautiful),” Mika banging on trash cans during “Love Today” and a confetti, balloon and dancing-bunny-costumed encore of “Lollipop.”

Along the way, he reflected on impressions of his first visit to D.C. “We did some sight-seeing today and saw the White House,” he said. “It was very small. I thought a man that powerful would have a bigger house.”

And then, barely audible, Mika gave one last compliment to the roaring crowd. “I don’t know if you all know how cool it is to show up in a place and see people like you,” he said. “It’s like nowhere else on the tour.”

REVIEW

The Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/13/AR2007061302095.html

MUSIC     Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mika

Heading into the 9:30 club Tuesday night, there was no reason to believe that the spike-of-uncut-fructose-to-the-brain-stem appeal (if that's the word) of Mika's "Life in Cartoon Motion" album would translate in any meaningful way to the stage. The Royal College of Music-trained pastiche artist's debut is as hooky and heartless as the chewing-gum jingles he's already been paid to write.

But the almost frightening adoration with which a sold-out crowd welcomed him for his first D.C. appearance made the show feel more like a homecoming than an introduction. Backed by an able-if-indistinct four-piece band, the star bounded onstage to the keyboard vamp of "Relax (Take It Easy)," as though warning any nonbelievers that resistance was useless, and so it was. Alternating pogo leaps with Christ poses, he put the familiar tune over like a shot of soda bubbles up your nose. By the time a big girl wrapped in a shiny green dress joined him onstage for "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)," it felt like the show might climax with its second song.

Mika manned the keyboard for the sequence of mid-tempo numbers that followed, of which "Stuck in the Middle," showcasing that acrobatic falsetto of his, was the most fetching. Helping to fill out a 65-minute set were a new song, "Holy Johnny," and a pair of covers: The Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams" and the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back."

For the Flaming Lips-esque encore of the No. 1 U.K. single "Grace Kelly," the band returned clad in giant animal costumes, joining paws and dancing in a circle before relations deteriorated and the bunny rabbit pretended to beat the others unconscious with her drumsticks.

After they all stood up -- Thank God they're okay!-- and the cow unmasked himself as the evening's headliner, the subsequent balloon launch and confetti spray only deepened the certainty that the entire show had been a hallucination. Guilty pleasure? Yes and yes.

-- Chris Klimek

• Like 1

• silver changed the title to 2007 - Mika @ 9:30 Club Washington, DC - 12 June