2007 - Mika in the Dutch Gay mag

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, this is the negative part to being famous, things like obesssive stalkers or death threads are quite common, i'm sure Mika is streetwise enough to be able to cope with this, and anyway, he's got his whole family as his body guards,, and there are enough of them!!

It's always so either/or :blink: Either you don't say and then you're "making it seem wrong to be gay" or you tell and then you have to be a gay role model or spokesperson for the entire gay community :blink: It would be so damn nice if an artist could just be gay and then that's it - the artist who made this great album and btw happens to be gay, not the GAY artist who by the way made this album :doh: I can to some extend understand artists who don't want to discuss their sexuality, it really does often become the focus point :blink: But it's not like I don't understand your point of view :mf_rosetinted:

No, I entirely, wholeheartely disagree that Mika should come out and say what orientation he is. Or that some threats should make him have to. He is his own person, and has a right to have his own feelings and not express every single one to the public. If there are others who have feelings out there, it is not his responsibility to make them feel better about their feelings by coming out and assuring them they are OK, one way or the other. His job is to make music. He's doing that. Leave him alone otherwise.

I'm all for gay people being who they are. I think they should be allowed to live their lives in peace and they should not be discriminated against. But they should not be allowed to bully others into doing and saying things they are not ready or do not want to say...outing people.

Love you, Mika, just as you are. xoxo

well put... :thumb_yello:

I actually fought tears when I heard this, specially after those wacked repeated comments on his myspace page (Something about stealing lyrics and being a *Mean word*) it's something I feel personally very passionate about and same for my bisexual kind-of boyfriend.

Nobody deserves to have that said to them, or anything of the sort.

I really hope that that socalled fan gets what's comming!

Don't worry about them, Mika, we real fans are behind you, whatever you do./

I'm married and way too old for him so it's never a likey senario - but I will have my dreams anyway whether he's straight, gay or celibate.

I am worried though about the lyrics to "stuck in the middle" - He has always refused to talk about the meaning of this one particular song. I get the whole middle child reference but I worry that at some point he may have come out to a family member and been rejected e.g lyrics like "with my careless words I tread upon your vision", "this is who I am, this ain't a greater plan to break your heart", "when we've parted I can live in honesty". This may not be the case and I've completly missed the whole point (it could be that a relative wanted him to be a doctor or lawyer and he's rebelled with music instead!) but if it is, then his request for privacy on this subject may have more to do with not upsetting his family any more than necessary. I hope I am wrong, purely because I want him to be happy with who he is.

Honestly, that's how I read that song as well.

The thing about Mika "not coming out if he's gay," by the way, is that he's also never denied it. IF he is gay, it would indeed be damaging if he told people he was straight, as other closeted celebrities have chosen to do. But he never has--he simply insists that who he sleeps with is not the public's business. Which it isn't. I will back him up that this isn't a question of shame about one's sexuality, but a question of privacy, and he may want to keep it private for many various reasons. And in this, I actually think it's refreshing.

Maybe his reasons for privacy are good ones, maybe they're complicated, maybe they do have to do with shame or whatnot--we don't know. But I kind of like the line he straddles. I think it's good for the press to have to deal with a celebrity who doesn't make his sex life available to them, either by too much disclosure or by false denials.

On a personal level, I would like to say that I am quite comfortable with my own sexuality, and am involved in various clubs and activist collectives on behalf of queer rights, etc. But in my classes, or at my workplace, I do not share my sexual orientation with my coworkers or supervisers or professors. I don't hide it or lie about it, but I consider it none of their business--there's a difference between personal and professional after all. After class one day, when we were talking about queer issues, a friend asked me why I insisted on talking about it in the abstract rather than owning I was myself queer--why wasn't I out? Was I ashamed? In this day and age? I laughed and told him it wasn't a question of being "out"--had he heard me talk in class? Didn't he notice that I brought up queer issues all the time, and a lot of my studies were specifically queer-focused? It wasn't that I had any shame about it, but I just didn't think my sex life was something my professors needed to know about. So I rather support Mika's right to do the same thing.

(And to play along, I am deliberately not disclosing either my gender or my sexuality on this forum. :-P )

At first when I heard that Mika wouldn't confirm his sexuality, (before I was a fan mind you) I admit to being slightly annoyed. I basically thought he was gay and he should just say it, and that's all there is to it, after all, just because you're gay doesn't take anything away from your sex appeal lol.

But then, as I got deeper and deeper into the inevitable Mika-love (read: fannnnndom) I realised it didn't matter, heck, it was even kinda cool. He is all about the music, and figures nobody needs to know who he sleeps with. =)

That just makes him all the more mysterious, and adds to his charm. =) I realise that he could swing either way, and that I probably won't know for another 30 years. *or until I marry him. JKKK*

okay I've put in my two cents now. =D

P.S. i'm now going to analyse every song. And personally, i read Stuck In the Middle as him being a boy of about 8 years old. so I'm not sure about it indicating his sexuality. I don't know.

Originally Posted by Kata

It's always so either/or Either you don't say and then you're "making it seem wrong to be gay" or you tell and then you have to be a gay role model or spokesperson for the entire gay community It would be so damn nice if an artist could just be gay and then that's it - the artist who made this great album and btw happens to be gay, not the GAY artist who by the way made this album I can to some extend understand artists who don't want to discuss their sexuality, it really does often become the focus point But it's not like I don't understand your point of view

Ok, first of all I don't know how to work this "posting" thing. The above was a reply to my last post on this topic. I wanted to respond.

WHY OH WHY does EVERYONE here associate sexuality ONLY with SEX and who you sleep with?

Sexual orientation goes much deeper than sex and who you choose to have sex with. It ultimately plays a role in who you decided to be in a lifelong relationship with, who you choose to be friends with, and so many other things.

My 14 year relationship with my partner is not JUST built on SEX anymore than I imagine most straight peoples marriage is.

What we’re talking about here is learning WHO Mika is and what he’s about. It’s not about EXPOSING his sex life or prying into his personal life. It’s about gaining insight into who he is, where he came from, and where he’s going as a person and artist.

As far as being a “role model” I wasn’t suggesting that he take on that role. What I was trying to point out is that it’s nice, when you’re young, to know that there are other people like you in the world. There are still places (in America) where gay youth don’t have anyone to look to for inspiration. If artist, like Mika, can supply a dose of that to gay teens it would be helpful.

The biggest problem I have with this debate is that you don’t see straight artist trying to “hide” the fact that they’re straight. Nor have I EVER heard of a straight male artist refuse to talk about it..

In general the straight community never tries to hide the fact that they’re straight. When couples get married they wear RINGS, have children, and do many social things that indicate to the entire world what their sexual preference is. No one considerers being straight to be an issue or something to be ashamed of. Straight teens don’t have to “come out” to their parents or anyone else.

WHY SHOULD GAY PEOPLE BE ANY DIFFERENT?

Originally Posted by Kata

It's always so either/or Either you don't say and then you're "making it seem wrong to be gay" or you tell and then you have to be a gay role model or spokesperson for the entire gay community It would be so damn nice if an artist could just be gay and then that's it - the artist who made this great album and btw happens to be gay, not the GAY artist who by the way made this album I can to some extend understand artists who don't want to discuss their sexuality, it really does often become the focus point But it's not like I don't understand your point of view

Ok, first of all I don't know how to work this "posting" thing. The above was a reply to my last post on this topic. I wanted to respond.

WHY OH WHY does EVERYONE here associate sexuality ONLY with SEX and who you sleep with?

Sexual orientation goes much deeper than sex and who you choose to have sex with. It ultimately plays a role in who you decided to be in a lifelong relationship with, who you choose to be friends with, and so many other things.

My 14 year relationship with my partner is not JUST built on SEX anymore than I imagine most straight peoples marriage is.

What we’re talking about here is learning WHO Mika is and what he’s about. It’s not about EXPOSING his sex life or prying into his personal life. It’s about gaining insight into who he is, where he came from, and where he’s going as a person and artist.

As far as being a “role model†I wasn’t suggesting that he take on that role. What I was trying to point out is that it’s nice, when you’re young, to know that there are other people like you in the world. There are still places (in America) where gay youth don’t have anyone to look to for inspiration. If artist, like Mika, can supply a dose of that to gay teens it would be helpful.

The biggest problem I have with this debate is that you don’t see straight artist trying to “hide†the fact that they’re straight. Nor have I EVER heard of a straight male artist refuse to talk about it..

In general the straight community never tries to hide the fact that they’re straight. When couples get married they wear RINGS, have children, and do many social things that indicate to the entire world what their sexual preference is. No one considerers being straight to be an issue or something to be ashamed of. Straight teens don’t have to “come out†to their parents or anyone else.

wow...that was gud... i whole heartly agree

The biggest problem I have with this debate is that you don’t see straight artist trying to “hide” the fact that they’re straight. Nor have I EVER heard of a straight male artist refuse to talk about it..

In general the straight community never tries to hide the fact that they’re straight. When couples get married they wear RINGS, have children, and do many social things that indicate to the entire world what their sexual preference is. No one considerers being straight to be an issue or something to be ashamed of. Straight teens don’t have to “come out” to their parents or anyone else.

I agree with you on this but in Mika's defense, he isn't doing anything to indicate he's either gay or straight. Ultimately it's up to him to decide whether he wants to keep his sexual preference private. I don't think it's normal to send death threats to Mika for wanting some privacy. There's still a lot of hatred towards gay people in the world (which breaks my heart) so you'd think they'd be more understanding cuz they know how it feels to be prosecuted by the public and wouldn't want to put someone else (in this case Mika) through that.

hey, you guys have litterally said all that is needed to be said. why should it matter what his sexuallity is?? i mean look at elton john and george micheal... i mean people supported their music before it came out they were gay and they still have many supporters. is it purely the fact that people have not got a life they are happy with and the only way to relieve their upsetness is to cause disruption and hurt towards other people.

JOURNALISTS: believe it or not celebraties are still only human to and if they choose to be with someone of the same sex, what difference does this have to their personality?? mika will still be mika at the end of the day with the boyish charms, his mad personallity (that i fell in love with) and 'hyperpop' that he created with no help from the media... if your friend is gay you don't turn them for it, i didn't to my friend, i understood his situation and got on with it- life that is.

why should it matter??

LEAVE HIM ALONE

• 7 years later...

I read this thread when it popped up in my feed today, the entire thing, and the article, of course (as much as I could, not being able to read Dutch). As a longtime ally, and at one time a questioning woman, I appreciate seeing so much acceptance of others, and such open discussion.

Thank you Eriko!! :original:

Issuu.com

Gay&Night Maart 2007

http://issuu.com/gaynightmagazine/docs/gn108

Original (3310 x 4683) https://farm8.staticflickr.com

/7559/15569091083_a431220a69_o.png

15569091083_c5606048a8_k.jpg

I can't open the Original picture (this: Original (3310 x 4683) https://farm8.staticflickr.com<br />...31220a69_o.png).Am I the only one?

Thank you Eriko!! :original:

I can't open the Original picture (this: Original (3310 x 4683) https://farm8.staticflickr.com<br />...31220a69_o.png).Am I the only one?

There was a break in the link, I fixed it.

Try this:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7559/15569091083_a431220a69_o.png