Bad childhood

ella

Ok, so first of all sorry if there are already similar threads to this one, but I thought this topic is far too thought-provoking to ignore it.

Yes, it's about Mika's childhood. In all his interviews and concerts he seems to me so happy, funny, entertaining and energetic, I almost couldn't believe when I read about his background for the first.

Ok, I suppose everyone who dares to consider himself/herself as a real Mika- addict or fan has already heard the "45 quid for an Orbit chewing gum ad" story, and that his father was kept in hostage in Kuwait for 7 months when Mika was an 8 or 9 years old little boy. Not to mention his moving to London, when he became so depressed and confused that he had to be taken out of school for a time since he "forgot" how to read and write and talk.

But last night I saw another interview with him on youtube, and it was something new for me. Some of you has probably seen it, but it made me so sad and feeling sorry for him :no: . He was asked if he remembers anything about the war in Libanon. He said he doesn't remember anything exactly because he was very small (1 year old) when his family was evacuated, but as a child he had some kind of strange habits and fears. For example he was terribly afraid of big, loud noises, and this is why he refused to travel by the undegrgound for a long time, because he just couldn't stand to hear the sound of it.

The strange thing about the interview is that he told these stories smiling. I mean just imagine that you simply read a story like that, and don't know the storyteller himself. How would you imagine him? With a background like that, I bet I would think it's someone pityful and bitter, such a tortured soul.

And no! (Or he's incredibly gifted in acting as well, but I hope it's not acting, and that childish, silly boy is really as happy as he seems to be.) So I just wanted to say how much I appreciate his energy and strenght that he could move on.

But don't let it be such a sad thread, and don't let me pull everyone down! Please share your opinions and thoughts, and any story you know that is in connection with this topic! :thumb_yello:

Link to the mentioned interview:

Thanks to Droopsy for refinding it for us!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah we've all heard his background, didnt know about the fear of loud noises/wouldnt go on underground transport though.

But I make a similar connection with Mika because I was also bullied throughout my schooling years. But look at me now - I'm definitely happy, hyper, bubbly now.

The bullying is over - I can now enjoy life.

That's how I see it.

I also think that many people put on a very brave face despite what may be happening/have happened in their life.

Sometimes the most bubbly, gregarious person can have problems or a background that you couldn't imagine. Sometimes they are different in private too, or to those who really know them well.

Things aren't always as they seem are they?

I have in the past, envied people for their perfect lives, where they seem to have everything and everything seems to go right for them, only to find out later that this is not so and they have had their problems.

My cousin owned her own house when she was 22, no mortgage or anything.

Someone who didn't know her commented on how lucky she was with no big bills to pay and a nice house at that age.

What that person did not know was that my cousin's mother died when she was 13 and her father died when she was 22, she had no brothers or sisters to comfort her. That's how she got the house. She would have rather have had her parents.

(she had me though! :wink2:

yeah we've all heard his background, didnt know about the fear of loud noises/wouldnt go on underground transport though.

But I make a similar connection with Mika because I was also bullied throughout my schooling years. But look at me now - I'm definitely happy, hyper, bubbly now.

The bullying is over - I can now enjoy life.

That's how I see it.

Same thing happened with me!!!

I also think that many people put on a very brave face despite what may be happening/have happened in their life.

Sometimes the most bubbly, gregarious person can have problems or a background that you couldn't imagine. Sometimes they are different in private too, or to those who really know them well.

Things aren't always as they seem are they?

I have in the past, envied people for their perfect lives, where they seem to have everything and everything seems to go right for them, only to find out later that this is not so and they have had their problems.

My cousin owned her own house when she was 22, no mortgage or anything.

Someone who didn't know her commented on how lucky she was with no big bills to pay and a nice house at that age.

What that person did not know was that my cousin's mother died when she was 13 and her father died when she was 22, she had no brothers or sisters to comfort her. That's how she got the house.

(she had me though! :wink2:

Yeah I agree. Never judge a book by its cover. A persons personality is like religion - FULL OF SECRETS!

Come on!

The guy's father is a millionaire, he went to the most exclusive schools in London (see wikipedia), he's already said that his dad wasn't exactly taken hostage, and he's 23 but never lived away from his home in one of London's most exclusive neighbourhoods...

I can't join the pity party, I'm afraid.

That's not to say I hold it against him that he's privileged, I just don't think he deserves sympathy. Plus, if you've heard "your sympathy", he doesnt want it either - lol!

did u read the bullying bit? have u ever been bullied?

sorry to ask these kind of questions but if you've never been bullied you clearly just cannot understand the traumatisation one person goes through. He hasn't had an easy life. I mean after getting pulled out of school because of verbal and sometimes physical abuse, he got some russian singing teacher who beat him into practising!

And he may have gone to an exclusive school but he didnt exactly have the time of his life there LOL

Well, that's something I always thought about too... And I don't dare to say that he really is as happy now as he "acts". Of course I don't know it. But when I look at me... I've had a difficult past as well, and nobody would ever tell... I'm not the happiest person, but people are always totally shocked if I tell what I went trough. My facade isn't totally fake, I've become happier, but deep down there's still that empty feeling. I just choose not to show/tell just anyone. It's also a way of dealing I think.

Of courseee you can complain every day of what bad things happened to you, but that will only drag you down further I think.

Back on topic, I do think he's a lot happier now, but still deep down I'm sure he's still (a bit?) down about it. Otherwise he wouldn't tell those things in interviews I think if he wasn't still dealing with his past.

Come on!

The guy's father is a millionaire, he went to the most exclusive schools in London (see wikipedia), he's already said that his dad wasn't exactly taken hostage, and he's 23 but never lived away from his home in one of London's most exclusive neighbourhoods...

I can't join the pity party, I'm afraid.

That's not to say I hold it against him that he's privileged, I just don't think he deserves sympathy. Plus, if you've heard "your sympathy", he doesnt want it either - lol!

Yes you are right , hes childhood definately wasnt as bad as it has been made out thats for definate , but the bullying issues is , that sucks for anyone

Well, that's something I always thought about too... And I don't dare to say that he really is as happy now as he "acts". Of course I don't know it. But when I look at me... I've had a difficult past as well, and nobody would ever tell... I'm not the happiest person, but people are always totally shocked if I tell what I went trough. My facade isn't totally fake, I've become happier, but deep down there's still that empty feeling. I just choose not to show/tell just anyone. It's also a way of dealing I think.

Of courseee you can complain every day of what bad things happened to you, but that will only drag you down further I think.

Back on topic, I do think he's a lot happier now, but still deep down I'm sure he's still (a bit?) down about it. Otherwise he wouldn't tell those things in interviews I think if he wasn't still dealing with his past.

Yeah. I think in the Attitude magazine interview he even said that he still finds it hard to cope with the bullying in the past, he still can't really get his head round it, which is totally understandable.

I mean I look back on my school years and I often question why what happened, happened. My friend and I never bothered anyone. We never started on anyone. We didn't deserve anything.

Some people just get bullied, and unfortunately the two of us were the targets.

Still, I try not to think of school anymore. It's the past. I've grown up and learned a lot.

Yes you are right , hes childhood definately wasnt as bad as it has been made out thats for definate , but the bullying issues is , that sucks for anyone

yeah but some people get it more than others, and some bullying is far more severe than others.

I'm not pitying him saying "awww poor guy we should all give him a huuuug", because in a way, lets face it, is kinda patronising.

I just think we see a far more softer side of Mika, a far more human side, and I, and everyone else who didn't have a fab childhood, can really connect with Mika in this way.

Yeh Cazgirl I had an awful school time , at 35 its kinda gone now and im mega strong through it all , but looking back now nobody should go through that .Actually theres a thread on it in here somewhere a lot of people have been bullied

Yeah I posted like 3 long comments of particular experiences.

It's nasty.

But I think the guys who have been bullied are a lot like Mika - look at us now! Joking! Laughing! Having a great time! Being happy!

Getting through the bullying years just makes us realise that there IS a life, and that it CAN be good. Of course we still have small problems inside, we're still psychologically not over it completely, but it's enough to move on.

And that's what Mika's done.

Yeah. I think in the Attitude magazine interview he even said that he still finds it hard to cope with the bullying in the past, he still can't really get his head round it, which is totally understandable.

I mean I look back on my school years and I often question why what happened, happened. My friend and I never bothered anyone. We never started on anyone. We didn't deserve anything.

Some people just get bullied, and unfortunately the two of us were the targets.

Still, I try not to think of school anymore. It's the past. I've grown up and learned a lot.

well my problems weren't bullying, but idd, there was a time I always used to wonder, why did this have to happen to me? why at that age? How can someone else choose to destroy your life? It's all the same questions I think...

But... I've grown up too, (after years of self analyzing lol) and now I can say: Okay so it has happened, it's in the past.. Everything happens for a reason, and I eventually got stronger out of it...

Yes, I was bullied at school and it was bad, but - like Mika - that was in junior school and it's a long time ago now. Plus, my parents made me go to school and deal with it, they didnt let me hide at home. I think I'm a stronger person for that.

I think everyone should be careful what they believe in the press, sometimes artists have to say things just to build an image and gain popularity : the tortured outsider, poor-me, please love me more because...

I mean, without that bullying thing, how could ordinary people like us relate to Mika given the other stuff we know about him? Did you read his earlier interviews?

He can be quite a snob, even if he is funny...

It's just a thought.

I think Mika rocks. Please don't eat me for saying this! I just dont think had a tough childhood.

And because you don't complain, people think you have a perfect life, and so it goes round and round!

Shonith used to have a signature which said ' no-one cares if you are miserable, so you might as well be happy'

Things that happen to you , in my experience, definitely make you more tolerant and understanding of others though, which is a good thing.

I once got this in a fortune cookie

'Everything happens for a reason'

So I always try to find what that reason is, and learn from it. :mf_rosetinted:

Lots of random ramblings there! :naughty:

Yes, I was bullied at school and it was bad, but - like Mika - that was in junior school and it's a long time ago now. Plus, my parents made me go to school and deal with it, they didnt let me hide at home. I think I'm a stronger person for that.

I think everyone should be careful what they believe in the press, sometimes artists have to say things just to build an image and gain popularity : the tortured outsider, poor-me, please love me more because...

I mean, without that bullying thing, how could ordinary people like us relate to Mika given the other stuff we know about him? Did you read his earlier interviews?

It's just a thought.

I think Mika rocks. Please don't eat me for saying this! I just dont think had a tough childhood.

I know "father taken hostage" was an exaggeration, but his dad was kept away for safety reasons for 6 months.

That must have been hard, surely?

Quite a snob? what makes you say? evidence to support please?

People can still relate to celebrities, whether it's bullying or not.

Take Jordan (Katie Price) and Harvey. Her son has major problems and mothers who have children with difficulties can relate.

Pete Doherty and drug abuse. Some can relate.

Britney Spears and divorces/pushy showbiz mum. Some people can relate.

There are other ways to connect with celebrities.

It's just a thought.

Hey I think your opinion is very valid , he has been put forward as having a very bad childhood , taking the bullying issue to one side , the press and wrong , he had a very lucky one in many ways and many of the press facts are actually wrong

And because you don't complain, people think you have a perfect life, and so it goes round and round!

Shonith used to have a signature which said ' no-one cares if you are miserable, so you might as well be happy'

Things that happen to you , in my experience, definitely make you more tolerant and understanding of others though, which is a good thing.

I once got this in a fortune cookie

'Everything happens for a reason'

So I always try to find what that reason is, and learn from it. :mf_rosetinted:

Lots of random ramblings there! :naughty:

Exactly. Everything happens for a reason.

When I got my heartbroken by this guy I was ...devastated isnt even the word. I had questions whirling round in my head for a whole seven months, the same questions. I just couldn't get over it.

But, when I did, I saw things differently. I learnt a lot from that experience, I now know what to do and not what to do etc.

And if you don't learn your lessons, it will keep repeating until you do.

Hey I think your opinion is very valid , he has been put forward as having a very bad childhood , taking the bullying issue to one side , the press and wrong , he had a very lucky one in many ways and many of the press facts are actually wrong

what press facts are they?

I know "father taken hostage" was an exaggeration, but his dad was kept away for safety reasons for 6 months.

That must have been hard, surely?

Quite a snob? what makes you say? evidence to support please?

People can still relate to celebrities, whether it's bullying or not.

Take Jordan (Katie Price) and Harvey. Her son has major problems and mothers who have children with difficulties can relate.

Pete Doherty and drug abuse. Some can relate.

Britney Spears and divorces/pushy showbiz mum. Some people can relate.

There are other ways to connect with celebrities.

Yes, but not for Mika - he has no son with major problems/divorce...

As for pushy showbiz mum...you may have a point.

His mum is at a lot of his gigs, and for him to be on stage at the Royal opera House at 11, I guess that one must apply...

Example of being a bit stuck up :

M (while wearing expensive designer t shirt) : I'd rather you loved my t shirt or hated it. If I wanted you to think my t shirt was ok, I'd have gone to Marks and Spencers.

I like MnS, and it's not as low as you can go if u cant afford designer, lol!

But hey, if you can afford it, and you're dad's a millionaire - that's great.

As I said - Mika is amazing, I love his music, I just dont think he had a rough childhood.

Yes, but not for Mika - he has no son with major problems/divorce...

As for pushy showbiz mum...you may have a point.

His mum is at a lot of his gigs, and for him to be on stage at the Royal opera House at 11, I guess that one must apply...

Example of being a bit stuck up :

M (while wearing expensive designer t shirt) : I'd rather you loved my t shirt or hated it. If I wanted you to think my t shirt was ok, I'd have gone to Marks and Spencers.

I like MnS, and it's not as low as you can go if u cant afford designer, lol!

But hey, if you can afford it, and you're dad's a millionaire - that's great.

As I said - Mika is amazing, I love his music, I just dont think he had a rough childhood.

I'm not saying mika has a son with problems or a messy divorce etc, i said the public can connect to celebrities in different ways, and those were my examples.

but for mika, the bullying issue IS a way of connecting with him. Some may connect with him because of his travelling and a clash of culture (Lebanon, Paris, London).

The fact is, people have different reasons for connecting with people, everyone is an individual with different opinions. Whether or not his childhood was exaggerated or not is irrelevant - he still had problems just like the rest of us.

I agree.

What I meant was, the bullying may have been exaggerated bc (as demonstrated here) lots of people can relate to that.

But its true, there are lots of other ways that fans can relate to Mika.

Still, in the context of a thread devoted to his "tough childhood" - I just dont think he had one for the reasons in my previous post.

Mika RULES OK!

this is the part that upset me,*cry* he used to wait behind after school so none would follow him or chase after him or call him names:thumbdown: , some one told me that he used to have things thrown at him (dont know if its true)!!!!!!:sneaky2:

but hes deffinitly laughing now!!!!!!!!!:thumb_yello:

xxxxxxxxxx