Mika in May 2007 Spin Magazine---twice!!

rumbagirl

Mika is mentioned in the latest issue of Spin magazine (US magazine)--twice!

First on p 65 in the article "The Best of the Bottom of the Bill" referring to the festivals this year:

Mika

Coachella

A disco-breathing, loungey Freddie Mercury disciple, Mika throws a lifeline to the festival-goers who want to like Scissor Sisters but get turned off by their machismo.

Then in the record review section:

Mika

Life in Cartoon Motion, ***1/2 stars

Not trapped in the closet, giddy fop feels like dancin'.

From the Beatles at their campiest to the Scissor Sisters at their catchiest, this Lebanon-born Londoner comes on like an agreeably eager compendium of every gay and gay-ish pop act of the past 40 years. Sometimes he veers too close to his source material and surrenders to sap (check the Robbie Williams-sucking "Erase" with its fleeting rip of the Cranberries' "Zombie"), but mostly this UK-chart-topping magpie makes good with bountiful tunes and Broadway vocal dazzle that could slay even the High School Musical crowd. Barry Walters

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sick of people acting like he's all Truman Capote or something. You'd think he's like Bobby Trendy the way they talk about him being all "camp," etc. Hell, even Freddie wasn't even called outright gay in his day. I don't mind if Mika is gay but I don't think his music is screaming "look at me, I'm so camp and gay." Geez...someone comes out with a happy song and can hit a high note and all of a sudden he's flaming.

And there isn't a thing wrong with that. But they act like he's a flippin' drag queen, don't they? I dunno. I don't have anything against that culture at all. But he's not that, and they try to push him into that mold.

I do find men who are slightly feminine attractive. :wink2: I'm married to a very unfeminine man, though. :roftl:

("check the Robbie Williams-sucking "Erase" with its fleeting rip of the Cranberries' "Zombie")

I actually agree with this comparison. When I first heard the line "in your head" from Erase, I was racking my brain to try and remember what it sounded like and it was "Zombie" from the Cranberries...

I would see this as a compliment: "UK-chart-topping magpie makes good with bountiful tunes and Broadway vocal dazzle that could slay even the High School Musical crowd"

I suppose for people who haven't heard of Mika, or have only heard the singles that have been released- comparisons do help to give an idea of what the persons music is about.