Sophie Ellis Bextor on MIKA

Lollipop

On MIKA, sorry if its already been posted.....

Ellis-Bextor: I actually think he’s completely entitled to it. I know that Dan, someone I know as a gay musician, he was actually fine to talk about it, but it’s kinda beside the point. With Mika I kinda respect the fact that he doesn’t have to tell people everything. Why do we feel we have to know? I mean he’s got lyrics like ‘I tried to be like Grace Kelly, and I tried a little Freddie’. And if you want the answer, I think he’s kinda giving it to you.

..................Interseting......

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See, the whole lyrics thing...that doesn't say anything. He was just saying that he COULD be like these people in order to get people to like him, style/music wise. It's nothing about sexuality.

A very tall transvestite always used to sit next to me on the bus on the way to work, years ago. Couldn't put make up on to save his life though.

:roftl: That reminds me of when I was in New York last year and a transvestite came into the bathroom that I was in and started working on their makeup. Seriously. I didn't want to stare or laugh, but it was so awkward washing your hands with a man in drag standing beside you at the mirror. He went into the women's bathroom, though...

It's always the same with song lyrics - they're open to interpretation (all sort of) and you can use them, spin them, tear them and give them a meaning, which does not necessarily align with the original sense - in fact in most of all cases it does not. This can turn out to be quite dissatisfactory because unless the author feels like telling the world what exactly his lyrics are supposed to mean (to him) we can never be 100% right and it all remains pure spec.

It is like with those poem analyses you have to do at school. Good that those authors are all dead already, I bet otherwise most of them would either die of laughter or think the entire world has gone mad considering their works being over-analysed that way...

I have read or heard in some interview that Mika said he tends to use all kind of inspiration, even TV (LOL). So we can't tell if all his lyrics are inseparably bound to his very own experiences. If it was like this everything would already have been said and we could reduce him to a confuzzled bunch of features, like gay for Billy Brown, into big women for Big Girl, heartbroken for My Interpretation ... and so on and so forth. I don't think it is as easy as that.

Besides I think that Mika already shares a big part of his life with the public giving all the interviews and answering nearly all those questions, that we can leave it at that without dying of lack of detailed personal information.

Another aspect of the possibility of interpretation is a more positive one: you can also use song lyrics for yourself, make them part of your very own life and gain a very personal benefit out of them... well, at least that is what I do.

It's always the same with song lyrics - they're open to interpretation (all sort of) and you can use them, spin them, tear them and give them a meaning, which does not necessarily align with the original sense - in fact in most of all cases it does not. This can turn out to be quite dissatisfactory because unless the author feels like telling the world what exactly his lyrics are supposed to mean (to him) we can never be 100% right and it all remains pure spec.

It is like with those poem analyses you have to do at school. Good that those authors are all dead already, I bet otherwise most of them would either die of laughter or think the entire world has gone mad considering their works being over-analysed that way...

I have read or heard in some interview that Mika said he tends to use all kind of inspiration, even TV (LOL). So we can't tell if all his lyrics are inseparably bound to his very own experiences. If it was like this everything would already have been said and we could reduce him to confuzzled bunch of features, like gay for Billy Brown, into big women for Big Girl, heartbroken for My Interpretation ... and so on and so forth. I don't think it is as easy as that.

Besides I think that Mika already shares a big part of his life with the public giving all the interviews and answering nearly all those questions, that we can leave it at that without dying of lack of detailed personal information.

Another aspect of the possibility of interpretation is a more positive one: you can also use song lyrics for yourself, make them part of your very own life and gain a very personal benefit out of them... well, at least that is what I do.

i completely agree with you. that was really well put! and yea, lollipop, it is interesting that she chooses those words when she knows him personally.

I tried to be like Grace Kelly and I tried a little Freddie, who's to say if he liked it though? :cool:

XD that made me laugh!!

that line always made me wonder about him being flamboyant. i wonder if he's straight...and the industry was like "oh if you pretend to be gay then we'll sign you." my interpretations of his songs are out there. lol XD

Sophie Ellis Bextor is saying she respects Mika's privacy and his desicion not to discuss every aspect of his life ....but she still goes on to suggest what his lyrics are implying, .... do I understand correctly?? :blink:

I know we're going to get into the 'it's his business' argument again, but I have said before that I would find it strangely attractive if he was bi-sexual. :mf_lustslow:

I actually agree.

I have no problem whatsoever if he is indeed gay, I would still crush on him like always, but if he was bi-sexual I totally agree with you about the attraction there.

the message she is giving out is quite confusing. i think she just means there is no need for him to talk about it you know? not everything in music needs to be so blatant and laid out on a plate, and the listener can take whatever they choose from the lyrics.

No I just find him attractive at the moment, if he was bi, it would add a little something :sneaky2::naughty:

And if he was gay, just back to attractive.

Yes!! That's exactly how I think. I've always been oddly attracted to gay/bi guys...I think it's the whole "unavailable" factor for me. :roftl: