Dances with veggies?

Last year I made my New Years resolution to become a vegetarian, and I succeeded for almost four months, until my hair started falling out (I must've been not eating something that I needed) and then my mom made me start eating meat again.

Oh my god your hair fell out? Now I'm all worried...:shocked:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm mostly(I eat a little fish only , white fish ) vegeterian I'm not against eating meat (if you do it just make sure its organic or free range:biggrin2: ) but beacause I was raised that way I've tride meat once or twice sooo grosss . I cant eat most fish or seafood if I see the tiniest bit of vain , cooked blood anything I'm off .

I'm almost a vegetarian :roftl:

I say I am because I love vegetables, soya and tofu and that sort of stuff, but I eat fish... :bleh::roftl:

It's so good for you (talking about fish)!! That's the only reason why I eat it really, and I do like it. Not like meat, I really don't like meat!! At all!

I'm the same! I believe that' called a "pescatarian" (?)

Oh my god your hair fell out? Now I'm all worried...:shocked:

You probably weren't getting enough protein. I don't. That's why my nails are really bendy and my hair falls out. I'm screwed haha.

I still eat meat but will only eat it when it is free range, organic and local. So this means that I am a veggie when eating out, having takeaways or ready meals! I also won't eat cod and other endangered fish (unless it's farmed) so meals from the chippy have become incredibly restrictive!

I never felt worse when I stopped eating meat. I only felt better. :biggrin2:

That's how I feel. It's like I'm doing something good for the world and for myself, but I can't really explain it. It's just a good feeling and I honestly feel healthier now that I've cut out meat. :biggrin2:

Hi Im a bit late here! I am veg, have been for 17 year! OMG that is scarey:shocked: Be careful, make sure you get enough good things in your diet, its easy to not eat enough when a veg, but done well its very healthy:biggrin2:

Hi Im a bit late here! I am veg, have been for 17 year! OMG that is scarey:shocked: Be careful, make sure you get enough good things in your diet, its easy to not eat enough when a veg, but done well its very healthy:biggrin2:

It is a lot harder than I thought it would be, because my entire family and all of my friends eat meat, and when it's around me like that it gets very discouraging. Plus, my parents are constantly telling me "Man is supposed to eat meat! We have evolved and have to eat meat meat meat!" Very frustrating!

It is a lot harder than I thought it would be, because my entire family and all of my friends eat meat, and when it's around me like that it gets very discouraging. Plus, my parents are constantly telling me "Man is supposed to eat meat! We have evolved and have to eat meat meat meat!" Very frustrating!

This is true and my family where the same. I cant eat meat now even if i wanted too, just cant put it near my mouth. I would have felt happier about eating meat had i gone out and caught it myself. Mass farming is awful and thatis what i object to, but i suppose many low income ppl would not beable to afford to eat with out it, its a catch 22 situation.

I cook meat for my kids at least 3 times a week, i always try to use organic/fair trade meat. I feel its an important part of a human diet, although I hate to admit it! As a viggie you have to be very clued up about nutrition, or your health may suffer

hiya im not veggie but love veggie food. i often make veggie only food at least 4 out 7 days. i dont beleive eating meat is a good thing everyday, acutally i know its not. so i give my kids a good allround diet, fresh fruit and veg are allways at hand. as well as rice and pulses. my younger son is a semi veggie as i call him, as he is not keen on meat. where as my niece is a full veggie or vegan she does not eat diary either or even eggs, and she had probs when she was at school too, not manny veggie meals on the menu.

I am a lapsed pescatarian:blink: I was fishy veggie for 12 years (from age of 16) thanks to Morrissey:blush-anim-cl: , but when I was pregnant with my first child I absolutely craved meat. So I lapsed. <still feels the shame>

I was definitely healthier back then though and often consider "going back"...

so you didn't eat fish nor meat during your pregnancies? because my mom keeps telling me that if one day I get pregnant I should absolutely eat meat during that period. I actually wanted to answer: then you'll rather never be a grandma :bleh:

Nope, you don't need meat during pregancy as long as you eat a sensible and varied diet.

I had 2 easy pregancies that both went full term and resulted in 2 perfect (larger than average) babies.

I didn't put on much weight during pregnancy and it dropped off virtually instantly afterwards.

I have friends that have done the same.

It's a myth that you have to eat meat to be healthy. It's prefectly possible be a healthy vegetarian, the same as you can be an unhealthy meat eater.

Nope, you don't need meat during pregancy as long as you eat a sensible and varied diet.

I had 2 easy pregancies that both went full term and resulted in 2 perfect (larger than average) babies.

I didn't put on much weight during pregnancy and it dropped off virtually instantly afterwards.

I have friends that have done the same.

It's a myth that you have to eat meat to be healthy. It's prefectly possible be a healthy vegetarian, the same as you can be an unhealthy meat eater.

anyway I'm convinced that being a vegetarian is very healthy. plus recent studies seem to confirm that meat is really not that healthy.

we are gonna have all the carnivores proven wrong lol

• 10 months later...

Hey! I just had to find a vegeterian thread here so I could rant a bit.

Well, the thing is that I have almost never (exept when I was really young) liked meat or meat products. It's so typical that whenever we have some potato salad or some potatoes and sauce and on someone's plate there are untouched pieces of sausage or meat, the plate is mine. So lately I have been thinking that I should become a real vegetarian, not just someone who dislikes meat, but still puts it on her plate.

But I have met some obsticles already. :blink: None of my friends is supportive and my family is even more against it. Okay, I actually don't give a hoot about what my friends or whoever thinks about it:mf_rosetinted: , but my mum just totally lost it today, so I just had to come and let it all out.

I can't even tell her anymore that I will not eat meat anymore. That I'm done with it, cause she thinks of it like it's the end of the world, like anyone who stops eating meat will get sick. It's just that if everyone is so against it already then I don't even wanna know what happens after a few days. I'll just come back here, rant a bit and leave again. :naughty:

Nicole, I know exactly how you feel. The same happened to me when I told everyone that I'm giving up on meat. People were like: "oh, but that's insane" and "you have to eat meat or you'll get seriously ill".

Anyway, I became a vegetarian and got a bit fat, because I knew nothing about it and I quit eating meat over night without reading anything on healthy vegetarian nutrition. After 2 years I started eating meat again (but chicken only...I just couldn't stand any other meat). But then, about a bit more than 6 months ago, one of our neighbours brought a home chicken (lol don't know how to say this...but you know when people slaughter animals at home)...and my mom asked me to make it for lunch...that chicken still had blood on it and I almost threw up, and ever since I can't even see meat. Now I'm a veggie for good, and there's no way I could ever try it again. The reason I became a veggie in the first place is that I never liked meat, and even when I was a little girl my parents had to force me to eat it, or they just hid in the food.

So if you want to become a veggie, just go for it!. Just make sure to get some information about how to be a healthy veggie.

Nicole, I know exactly how you feel. The same happened to me when I told everyone that I'm giving up on meat. People were like: "oh, but that's insane" and "you have to eat meat or you'll get seriously ill".

Anyway, I became a vegetarian and got a bit fat, because I knew nothing about it and I quit eating meat over night without reading anything on healthy vegetarian nutrition. After 2 years I started eating meat again (but chicken only...I just couldn't stand any other meat). But then, about a bit more than 6 months ago, one of our neighbours brought a home chicken (lol don't know how to say this...but you know when people slaughter animals at home)...and my mom asked me to make it for lunch...that chicken still had blood on it and I almost threw up, and ever since I can't even see meat. Now I'm a veggie for good, and there's no way I could ever try it again. The reason I became a veggie in the first place is that I never liked meat, and even when I was a little girl my parents had to force me to eat it, or they just hid in the food.

So if you want to become a veggie, just go for it!. Just make sure to get some information about how to be a healthy veggie.

something similar happened to me. I always hated the taste of meat, but one day I saw my mom take the heart and all out of one of our chicken... and that was it!! I seriously dont understand people who can do that...

stopping eating meat was honestly the best decision I took in my whole life! people were pretty supportive around me, but I hate the look you get everytime you ask at a restaurant if that dish is REALLY meat free lol

people are stupid, nicole, just go for it! :mf_rosetinted:

My family and friends have always been supportive of me being a veggie, except when they find it funny to wave meat around in my face ¬_¬

But then i became vegan and that's when people get annoyed and it's soi frustrating when people tell you it's stupid and they know NOTHING about it. Being veggie/vegan is actually so much healthier than eating meat, but only if you do it properly of course. I'm quite lucky though, i have quite a few veggie and vegan friends so it's not just me against everyone else, i have a few people to help :P

something similar happened to me. I always hated the taste of meat, but one day I saw my mom take the heart and all out of one of our chicken... and that was it!! I seriously dont understand people who can do that...

stopping eating meat was honestly the best decision I took in my whole life! people were pretty supportive around me, but I hate the look you get everytime you ask at a restaurant if that dish is REALLY meat free lol

people are stupid, nicole, just go for it! :mf_rosetinted:

I'll totally do it! I have been thinking about it for such a long time already that it's time to act! :mf_rosetinted:

You know what is one of the things that make me really disgusted by the thought of eating meat? A commercial for a company in Estonia, it makes sausages and all sorts of meat stuff. At first they show a happy pig who sings and does happy stuff and then they have the nerve to say something like "Best meat ever!" and show "delicious" pictures of their products! I actually find it sickening!:thumbdown:

My mum seriously thinks that I'll die immediately or something and it doesn't matter how much I tell her that there is no need to overreact, she still does.

Yup! That's exactly what I got to do now! Go and look for more information about it!:wink2: