oh, i forgot: did you say you had a similar experience with your dad? have you heard 'dinner at eight'? it's about their relationship...

my father passed away in April 2010 after struggling with liver cancer for 2 years.. just like his mom:wink2:

I think I asked for his latest CD in our family xmas exchange:naughty:

my father passed away in April 2010 after struggling with liver cancer for 2 years.. just like his mom:wink2:

I think I asked for his latest CD in our family xmas exchange:naughty:

i'm sorry to hear about your dad :huglove:

(the song is about his dad leaving when he was little - so i obviously misunderstood :teehee:).

oh boy, the latest CD...:blink: i don't know what to say...

maybe some of the experts on here can help me out...:mf_rosetinted:

Edited by koolj5

oh boy, the latest CD...:blink: i don't know what to say...

maybe some of the experts on here can help me out...:mf_rosetinted:

I still find his latest album very difficult. But I guess it's because I'm really not an expert, I'm a beginner :blush-anim-cl: I try to listen to it at time to time to learn to understand it.

Sorry to hear about that. :huglove:

I was supposed to see Rufus for the first time in August 2007 as I'd gotten passes from Universal to a studio taping of an intimate show for Bravo. But my father died that day. :boxed:

I was glad to finally see Rufus in June of this year to sort of put that association of my father's death with Rufus Wainwright behind me. It's very sad to see him struggling over his mother, but it's very moving to hear him sing her songs. I hope it helps him even though it must be difficult at the same time.

oh boy, the latest CD...:blink: i don't know what to say...maybe some of the experts on here can help me out...:mf_rosetinted:

I still find his latest album very difficult. But I guess it's because I'm really not an expert, I'm a beginner :blush-anim-cl: I try to listen to it at time to time to learn to understand it.

Well I'm no expert but I love it. Maybe it helps that I saw him perform it live a couple of times before listening to the recording. :dunno: I've also been listening almost exclusively to opera and classical music over the past few months so perhaps I'm in the right mindset for listening to Shakespearean sonnets set to music. :naughty:

One of my other favourite singers, Steven Page, has written some music for a production of Shakespeare and I like when artists branch out and do some atypical things. Like Mika's EP - I would be disappointed if Mika completely abandoned pop music and just started making Disney soundtracks or something, but I'd get bored if he just keeps making Relax/Rain/Relax-Rain Pt III, etc. over and over again.

Who Are You New York? captures that beautiful cello sound of Rufus's voice and I can listen to it over and over, I find it so soothing. The piano on this record is stunning and I was thoroughly impressed that he can play like that and recite such complex lyrics flawlessly in live performances.

I was supposed to see Rufus for the first time in August 2007 as I'd gotten passes from Universal to a studio taping of an intimate show for Bravo. But my father died that day. :boxed:

So sorry to hear that, Cath and Christine :huglove:

Things like this always make me *think*. There is music (like another world) and there is a real life. I will never forget how Laurel got the sad news in Amsterdam just a few moments before the concert. I wasn't next to her, but I knew something was happening. And while the queueing in Helsinki my husband got a text message telling our very good friend is very, very ill. I remember sitting on the stairs, crying.

I like to escape to music as often as I can, but there are moments when you need to live real life. I'm sorry I can't explain this better :blush-anim-cl: Feel a bit stupid saying this.

About his latest album. I think I will listen to it before/during Christmas. I feel like doing it, not in the middle of any good books or anything.

aaw... well... Lulu may not be the most approachable of Rufus' CDs... it's pretty somber... a lot of grieving over what was going on with his mother etc. I will say that I don't think you get the full impact until you see it live... I think it's truly magnificent. The piano is astonishing... saw it for my last time last night in Delaware :crybaby:

Here are a few pix of the show... as we were permitted to take pictures/videos for the last couple of shows...

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg232/prussell716/Rufus%20Wainwright%20%20Delaware%20%20Dec%2014%202010/

He did a duet of Pretty Things with Lucy - which I hadn't ever seen as a duet before :biggrin2:

aaw... well... Lulu may not be the most approachable of Rufus' CDs... it's pretty somber... a lot of grieving over what was going on with his mother etc. I will say that I don't think you get the full impact until you see it live... I think it's truly magnificent. The piano is astonishing... saw it for my last time last night in Delaware :crybaby:

Here are a few pix of the show... as we were permitted to take pictures/videos for the last couple of shows...

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg232/prussell716/Rufus%20Wainwright%20%20Delaware%20%20Dec%2014%202010/

He did a duet of Pretty Things with Lucy - which I hadn't ever seen as a duet before :biggrin2:

wow, thank you!!! love the duet with lucy - the banter, and her voice is beautiful... also watched your video of the walking song...:wub2:

that's what i meant, the last CD is not that easy, especially for people new to his music (like myself). it helped me to have seen it live. it has some songs that i love, but others i don't listen to very often...

of course i still appreciate it, especially considering the circumstances for it...

but cathouzouf, on amazon you can get 'poses' or any other earlier album used for real cheap (sorry, rufus)...

• 2 weeks later...
Merry Christmas - a Christmas oldie you may have seen :thumb_yello:

"You're doing great...could you please go now." :lmfao:

My friend sent me this on Christmas Eve. I've posted it in the atheist thread, so not for the religiously sensitive.

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3311996&postcount=543

"You're doing great...could you please go now." :lmfao:

My friend sent me this on Christmas Eve. I've posted it in the atheist thread, so not for the religiously sensitive.

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3311996&postcount=543

that was hilarious, thanks for posting! :roftl:

bought myself his last CD, listened to the first 5 songs. so far, I reaaly like it:thumb_yello:

There's hope after all:biggrin2:

yayy! :biggrin2:

• 1 month later...

time to bump this thread, or rather: time for me to stop by, i have been so busy lately...

came across this on the RW board: http://www.gigwise.com/news/61131/Mark-Ronson-Working-With-The-Black-Lips-And-Rufus-Wainwright

thought especially christine might like that (she probably already knows)...:teehee:

RW is going to be in SF for a movie premiere this month, it doesn't look like i'll be able to go...:sad:

RW is going to be in SF for a movie premiere this month, it doesn't look like i'll be able to go...:sad:

:sad: are you sure??? I think the VIPs are getting a special treat!!

and Rufus is #17 on AfterElton's Top 50 Gay Male Artist list... (Mika's on there too! :boxed:)

After Elton's list

came across this on the RW board: http://www.gigwise.com/news/61131/Mark-Ronson-Working-With-The-Black-Lips-And-Rufus-Wainwright

thought especially christine might like that (she probably already knows)...:teehee:

Oh, ha I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering where you've been!!!

I didn't know about Mark Ronson. And he's going to be a member of Duran Duran too?? He sure gets around. :roftl:

Oh no. :thumbdown:

and Rufus is #17 on AfterElton's Top 50 Gay Male Artist list... (Mika's on there too! :boxed:)

After Elton's list

Well it does say that it applies to openly bisexual men. :naughty: Thanks for the link.

:sad: are you sure??? I think the VIPs are getting a special treat!!

After Elton's list

oh jeeeez... if i had a tiny chance of going it would have to be non-VIP, i can't afford VIP. honestly, i would also feel a little weird to be among the VIPs, when i'd mostly be there for rufus. :boxed:

(i do think that movie sounds amazing, and definitely worth going to, too, of course... )

rufus is only doing 1 or 2 songs, but i'd kill to hear him sing live, i just don't know how to run this event past my husband...:naughty:

(because i usually don't drive hours to go to a movie premiere :aah:)

anyways, i want to look into the jake shears musical in may, i'll be around, and could make it to a weekend night possibly...what's it called again? (hope it's not sold out yet)

great list!

Oh, ha I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering where you've been!!!

I didn't know about Mark Ronson. And he's going to be a member of Duran Duran too?? He sure gets around. :roftl:

:blush-anim-cl:

i stop by every now and then...:naughty:

i've just been a little busier than usual, and don't have much to say....

i'm slowly working my way through the magic numbers gig report, looks like it was very cool, and i'm happy you could make it there! :thumb_yello:

mark ronson - it sounds very interesting, i like a good beat, electronica is my favorite dance music. i kind of want to keep rufus separate from that, though...:roftl:

rufus is only doing 1 or 2 songs, but i'd kill to hear him sing live, i just don't know how to run this event past my husband...:naughty:

(because i usually don't drive hours to go to a movie premiere :aah:)

anyways, i want to look into the jake shears musical in may, i'll be around, and could make it to a weekend night possibly...what's it called again? (hope it's not sold out yet)

yeah - it's likely it will be only a brief set for Rufus... still fun though - hope it works out! And Jake's Musical is 'Tales of the City'... from Armistead Maupin's book/chronicle set in San Francisco... there are previews in May... the press preview is the 31st - then the official world premier is June 1st (those 2 specific shows are sold out I think)... but they just extended the run until July 3rd I think...

here's a link

Tales

Don't know if anyone saw this either - from Next Magazine in NYC... it's a giveaway - Jake and Rufus together :biggrin2: photographed by/chatting with Tim Hailand... Jake talks a bit about Tales here... fun read :thumb_yello:

Next

Edited by prussell716

yeah - it's likely it will be only a brief set for Rufus... still fun though - hope it works out! And Jake's Musical is 'Tales of the City'... from Armistead Maupin's book/chronicle set in San Francisco... there are previews in May... the press preview is the 31st - then the official world premier is June 1st (those 2 specific shows are sold out I think)... but they just extended the run until July 3rd I think...

here's a link

Tales

thank you! :wink2:

Don't know if anyone saw this either - from Next Magazine in NYC... it's a giveaway - Jake and Rufus together :biggrin2: photographed by/chatting with Tim Hailand... Jake talks a bit about Tales here... fun read :thumb_yello:

Next

:drool::drool:....oops, excuse me.:teehee:

now we've seen jake and mika together, and jake and rufus together. a pic of rufus and mika together would make me go...:swoon:

it would just be unbearably much creativity in one room. :mf_rosetinted:

(which of course applies to mr. JS, too...)

Edited by koolj5

now we've seen jake and mika together, and jake and rufus together. a pic of rufus and mika together would make me go...:swoon:

sadly, I remember Mika saying once how much he adored Rufus and his talent, and his songs... but then he added that he didn't want to meet him in person - just because he didn't need it, he was quite happy just with having his music :original:

so it may take a long time until we finally see them together :teehee:

sadly, I remember Mika saying once how much he adored Rufus and his talent, and his songs... but then he added that he didn't want to meet him in person - just because he didn't need it, he was quite happy just with having his music :original:

so it may take a long time until we finally see them together :teehee:

you know, i don't really mind...:teehee:

because i would too much want to be there...even just to watch the interaction...:naughty:

mmmh, i think it's bound to happen. rufus is playing all these high profile shows in london this summer, mika would have to be really far away (like in LA :teehee:) to not show up for one of those...:wink2:

in some way, if he doesn't go see him live, it would kind of disprove his 'adoration'...:mf_rosetinted:

(i know i'm being a little unreasonable)

mmmh, i think it's bound to happen. rufus is playing all these high profile shows in london this summer, mika would have to be really far away (like in LA :teehee:) to not show up for one of those...:wink2:

in some way, if he doesn't go see him live, it would kind of disprove his 'adoration'...:mf_rosetinted:

(i know i'm being a little unreasonable)

I think you're right, Mika has to go to at least one of the shows! (hope it would be Judy :teehee: ) if I were him and had the opportunity to go and see one of my favourite musicians and inspirations in my own city, I would definitely go for it :aah:

Or maybe Mika's changed his mind a while ago anyway, and was just waiting for his chance :wink2::naughty:

I think Rufus has been less than complimentary to Mika and that's why he doesn't want to meet him. :naughty: He has seen him live I would imagine? He was planning to go to the opera wasn't he?

I actually don't know much about it, but that's what I thought too, that the admiration might not be mutual :teehee:

well, Mika has met Steven Tyler though :biggrin2:

I think Rufus has been less than complimentary to Mika and that's why he doesn't want to meet him. :naughty: He has seen him live I would imagine? He was planning to go to the opera wasn't he?

ohh, that of course changes things...:teehee:

did rufus ever say anything? i had no idea. :blink:

i don't even remember how i came across rufus through mika, but i know i did (had heard his name before but checked him out because of mika)....

then again, those type of things change, too. think about mika and the scissor sisters, they had some differences in the past (exaggerated by the media i'm sure), and last year we saw them happily together all over the place. :wink2: