i don't think anybody knows yet, but he's premiering a new song in LA next week. and he's also working with mark ronson, so it doesn't sound like he's taking a huge baby break...:naughty:

well, maybe he will, but something's in the works for sure. :wink2:

Mark Ronson, too? I only heard about Guy Chambers.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a little bit of news... coming this year is a limited edition Box Set :biggrin2:

don't know what gems will be included... but I'm looking forward to it!! :thumb_yello:

from http://www.rufuswainwright.com

Rufus Box Set Due Later This Year

Rufus

There are plans afoot to release a beautiful limited edition box set of Rufus' recordings this year. Rufus has spent the last few months trawling through various archives and listening to some cracking outtakes and demos. The full details have yet to come together but click here if you'd like to be kept informed. It's shaping up to being a thing of beauty!

There's a little bit of news... coming this year is a limited edition Box Set :biggrin2:

don't know what gems will be included... but I'm looking forward to it!! :thumb_yello:

from http://www.rufuswainwright.com

Rufus Box Set Due Later This Year

Rufus

There are plans afoot to release a beautiful limited edition box set of Rufus' recordings this year. Rufus has spent the last few months trawling through various archives and listening to some cracking outtakes and demos. The full details have yet to come together but click here if you'd like to be kept informed. It's shaping up to being a thing of beauty!

hope there will be something previously unreleased :wub2:

Thanks for the news Paul! :wink2:

thank you, paul. :thumb_yello:

sounds exciting, especially since i won't see him live anytime soon...

can't believe how fast his london shows are approaching. hope, you'll tell us about it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
can't afford it. :aah:

please tell us about the london shows when you're back. have a great time!!!

Thanks! Uber-excited... especially since the Scissor Sisters added a couple shows that week too :biggrin2: Jake told me that he is going to the first show July 18th :naughty: I'll come back and give some highlights :thumb_yello:

and the Box-set is Really pricey --- especially for fans that already have most of what's in it!

• 1 month later...

just wondering if anyone went to the house of rufus at the royal opera house? heard the five nights were really great and hope we will hear from at least one person who was there...:wink2:

this video made me smile a lot

:blush-anim-cl:

just wondering if anyone went to the house of rufus at the royal opera house? heard the five nights were really great and hope we will hear from at least one person who was there...:wink2:

this video made me smile a lot

:blush-anim-cl:

omg, his voice sounds better than ever :wub2:

omg, his voice sounds better than ever :wub2:

yep - funny you should say that... Agreed. Home from quite a trip to London to see Rufus and his gang... as well as the Scissor Sisters to boot :biggrin2:

Amazing... the nights are starting to blend together a bit...

Opening night was the first of 2 Judy shows... I hadn't seen one of his Judy shows live before; I've only seen the DVD. Rufus' voice now really, at least in my opinion, is much better than before. I'd say that it was a little more casual than the earlier Judy's... the banter was more like his usual... not referencing Judy's concert as much. It was slightly shorter - a few songs were cut (I don't even know which - not missed)... no Lorna Luft (a blessing :naughty:). And most touching was Over the Rainbow... with no Kate... started the song without the usual piano accompaniment. Martha - as always - killed Stormy Weather and Someone to Watch Over Me... her outfit did draw some gasps - lol - she wore a kind of striped body suit :blink:

Night 2 was Martha and Rufus... Martha did the first 'act'... debuted a couple new tunes - 1 rocker that knocked out the crowd. She really sets the bar high for her brother to follow after the interval. But of course Rufus delivers. It's been a long time since seeing him live with a band - it was such a treat! He leaned towards older material... Foolish Love, an amazing Tower of Learning, Beautiful Child, Poses, April Fools... the Don't Go Breaking my Heart posted above (it was just wonderful to see he and Martha being happy and silly... after the somber tones of recent shows this past year since Kate's passing... this was actually kind of moving in spite of the silliness :tears:)

Night 3 was Loudon and Rufus... I missed a good portion of Loudon unfortunately (due to a coughing bout - I exited the theater as not to cough through the whole performance). I know that Lucy :wub2: joined him for a few songs (Love Hurts). Rufus' portion had some of the same songs from the previous night... but added Down Where the Drunkards Roll, Come a Long Way... One Man Guy (with Rufus, Loudon, Lucy, and Martha together on 1 microphone - Lucy's idea)... and Poses, with them all -- to die for.

Night 4 was another round of Judy... same set list as Night 1... but I would say a little rushed - at least in the first half. It was Rufus' birthday... Martha performed this night in a tutu - :roftl: - I think it was kind of an 'up yours' to some reviewers who had criticized her outfit the first night (the reviewers raved over her performance though)... She brought Arcangelo on the stage to sing Happy Birthday :wub2:

And the finale Night 5 - Prima Donna excerpts and Rufus with the orchestra. Rufus was in the royal box (with Jorn who arrived that morning) for the first half of the show. Janis Kelly (Regine from PD) and Rebecca Batone (Marie from the UK productions of PD) performed concert versions of selected arias from Prima Donna. Then we were treated to Rufus with the Britten Sinfonia :thumb_yello: All week Rufus pushed this show (I think ticket sales were great for the other 4 - lighter for this one - but it looked packed - so maybe his sales pitches worked)... he joked throughout the week that he was going to fall apart this night. He did 2 Berlioz numbers (Le Spectre de la rose and Absence) that he had been criticized for performing earlier (I loved them)... Oh What a World, This Love Affair, Little Sister, Millbrook, Dinner at 8 etc... Rebecca joined him for "If I Loved You" from Carousel - Rebecca is amazing - what a voice!:shocked: Janis and Rebecca joined for a couple also (Kitty Come Home... and a couple others).

He was in great spirit all week... stage door scenes were rather quick and mobbed... he quickly autographed and said hellos most nights... sweet as always. I have a few pictures (not all great... cameras were not supposed to be permitted... but there was no checking of bags etc.) I'll see if I can get a few together to share.

So in a nutshell - WOW! Just WOW. So proud of Rufus - an unprecedented event at the Royal Opera House... he joked during his final set... something like "see, I tricked you... I got my opera in the Royal Opera House". It was an amazing several nights... sad that it's over!

Thanks so much for the review Paul! :thumb_yello:

I watched some more videos on youtube, and One Man Guy with the family in front of the microphone is so touching, as well as Somewhere Over the Rainbow and... well, pretty much everything! I didn't know that his voice could get any better, because you never get the full picture (or rather the full sound) from those videos, but if you say so after seeing the live shows, then it really must be awesome.

so glad for you that you got to see all of it! that's something to remember :wub2: hope you find the time to show us the pictures :teehee:

Thank you Paul! I loved reading your report and the pictures. :fangurl:

Read a little bit on the RW board yesterday but had been missing yours, it's nicer when it's from someone I know...:teehee:

And I'm happy to hear that you seemed to have had an incredible time! :biggrin2:

From the videos, not only did he sound great, he also looked great, and it's so nice to see him smile and laugh...I'm so glad it all went very well for him, it was such a big thing. :thumb_yello:

Vathorniel, have you seen him live? I found it striking the two times I've seen him that he sounds so different live..SO much better, if that's possible... I can't wait to see him again (who knows when :aah:)...

(now heading over to scissor sisters to see if anything's happened there...:mf_rosetinted:)

you're welcome :thumb_yello:

It was wonderful... and vocally I think he is at his best. It was just so nice to see the happy nature of them all... there have been so many gut-wrenching shows since Kate's passing (May's tribute shows in NYC - the first night was difficult to watch at times as the emotions were so open)... and not that they're over the loss of their mother... (Over the Rainbow was teary)... but both Rufus and Martha really beamed throughout the week :wub2:

Anyways... will head to the Sisters thread today :wink2:

Vathorniel, have you seen him live? I found it striking the two times I've seen him that he sounds so different live..SO much better, if that's possible... I can't wait to see him again (who knows when :aah:)...

no, I haven't :sad: I had a ticket for the last year's show in Helsinki but then it turned out I had an exam on the exact same day... so disappointing! but I'm sure it wasn't my last chance :wink2: can't wait to finally see him live (and with the band :biggrin2: )

• 2 weeks later...

so this past Saturday was a little event in Montauk, NY... a Mastercard Priceless campaign offered VIP tickets if you had a Mastercard... so I took the 5 hour or so ride up for the day to check it out :rasta: Turned out to be well worth it!

I posted a spot in the RWMB... but thought a couple here might be interested...

Arrived to the show early to find the show was to be performed on a small stage on the beach... with the ocean as the backdrop. A roped area with about 10 sofas with pillows was reserved for VIP guests (i.e. - you have a Mastercard??? hello VIP). There were worries about the weather - as clouds were rolling in as show time approached... but in true Rufus form - not a drop fell from the sky until well after the show finished :biggrin2:

Rufus performed for about 45 minutes... including 2 newly written songs

Grey Gardens

This Love Affair

Sanssouci

Old Paint - with Loudon

Hallelujah

Montauk - new, written for Viva

Song of You - new, written for Jorn

Cigs and Chocolate Milk

and GTAT as an 'encore'

The setting was simply amazing... with the sounds of the ocean waves crashing on the beach during the quiet moments. Loudon was there... clad in a Wainwright St. Louis Cardinal Baseball Jersey for 'team Wainwright'... and joined for Old Paint. Rufus seemed in very good spirits... joking throughout... describing his attire as dressing like a 'sea hag'... with his scarf and pin etc :roftl: The highlight of the performance was when Rufus announced that we were in for a treat... and he would perform 2 songs that he'd just written for the first time.

Montauk for Viva - a love song about Viva and her relationship with her 2 Dads .. 'one day.. you'll come to Montauk...' with lyrics about her Dad and 'other Dad'... the 2nd new song for Jorn - who wanted a song written for him :thumb_yello: - Song of You.

I don't really think words can describe the setting... I haven't experienced a concert in this type of atmosphere... very intimate and in the sand in front of the Atlantic in Montauk... pretty magical... the hor devours being passed throughout... and the cocktails that were kept flowing didn't hurt either :roftl:

I uploaded a couple videos to youtube...

and a few pictures...

Pictures - Rufus in Montauk

so this past Saturday was a little event in Montauk, NY... a Mastercard Priceless campaign offered VIP tickets if you had a Mastercard... so I took the 5 hour or so ride up for the day to check it out :rasta: Turned out to be well worth it!

wow, looks and sounds great, thanks for sharing! i am surprised though, it doesn't look like there are many couches on the beach, yet so many people have mastercards... or is montauk just kind of far away from things?

I posted a spot in the RWMB... but thought a couple here might be interested...

no way :mf_rosetinted:

how special to be in such a beautiful and intimate setting and get to hear new songs...:teehee: thanks for sharing this, including the pics and videos. it's nice to see a bit of the atmosphere, with his scarf blowing in the wind...::wub2:

he must be in good spirits with the weight of the london concerts off his shoulders, even though who knows, i'm sure he's busy as always.

what's with montauk, does he have a residence there? i have to admit, i have no idea where it is...(off to google maps)