well.. Montauk is at the very tip of Long Island - beyond the Hamptons... it's a rather exclusive area... and, yes, Rufus has a home in Montauk (he's said it's where he feels most at home - no wonder why!!! :biggrin2: )

and the event was sponsored by NBC and Mastercard... and Mastercard released a limited number of VIP tickets... I think ~50 or so... (all you had to do was register with your MC #... and you got the VIP ticket) it couldn't have been more than a 100 or so people I would guess... I think most of the people were MC or NBC employees - it had the feel of a business weekend getaway... with an evening on the beach at Gurney's... and hey - we have this guy - Rufus Wainwright - who is going to sing a few songs.

• 5 months later...

Some good news... a couple US dates are popping up... Charlottesville VA March 21... and Oakland CA (( yoooo hooooo... I think somebody on here isn't too far from Oakland :biggrin2: )) on May 11th Presale through RWMB is tomorrow (Wednesday 2/8) at 10 am :thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Some good news... a couple US dates are popping up... Charlottesville VA March 21... and Oakland CA (( yoooo hooooo... I think somebody on here isn't too far from Oakland :biggrin2: )) on May 11th Presale through RWMB is tomorrow (Wednesday 2/8) at 10 am :thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Ah yes koolj lives in Oakland I think.

I am hoping for a Toronto show during Luminato in June.

Thanks for the info!

Ah yes koolj lives in Oakland I think.

I am hoping for a Toronto show during Luminato in June.

Thanks for the info!

yeah - koolj was who I had in mind :biggrin2:

and now that Jorn is the Artistic Director at Luminato... wouldn't be surprised if Rufus made an appearance... if not other dates in Toronto! :thumb_yello:

so excited to see the new CD tour with a band! Hope that Teddy Thompson and Krystle Warren who are with him in Europe do US shows too :wub2:

• 2 weeks later...

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

koolj5 unfortunately has been too busy lately to even stop by here...:sneaky2::teehee:

thankfully i was able to press the computer button at the right time during a class and scored two tickets during the presale for oakland, phew!!!

i'm looking forward to the new album, just hope i can get it in time to listen to it before the show. also, i wish the venue wasn't all seats again (MARK RONSON!).

also, by now there are two more shows on the west coast, and i'm sure more will follow, he's always really good to the east coast...:naughty:

i'm really excited! will make sure to report after...

I am such a huge fan of Mark Ronson I cannot wait to hear what they've done.

I got an email from Jorn/Luminato saying that he's settled into Toronto so I'm excited about that too. :teehee:

http://www.luminato.com/eNewsletter/Feb6_WinterSpring_2012_eNewsletter/

Have fun at the show koolj. I love the seats! (although I almost fell asleep once because I was hideously jetlagged so being seated wasn't helping :naughty:)

He's coming to Barcelona too at Primavera Sound Festival 2012, 30 May until 3 June :wub2: but I don't know if I will have the chance to see him :no:

yeah, here it's on Primavera Sound too, but it's a bit later than in Spain. (7-10 June) :thumb_yello:

I am such a huge fan of Mark Ronson I cannot wait to hear what they've done.

I got an email from Jorn/Luminato saying that he's settled into Toronto so I'm excited about that too. :teehee:

http://www.luminato.com/eNewsletter/Feb6_WinterSpring_2012_eNewsletter/

Have fun at the show koolj. I love the seats! (although I almost fell asleep once because I was hideously jetlagged so being seated wasn't helping :naughty:)

thank you!

mark ronson's involvement makes me think i won't be able to sit still on a seat. :teehee:

but you're right, it has its advantages, especially that i can go there without all the stress and anxiety of lines, and most likely nobody will push me, or poke me with their handbag the entire show...:naughty:

well... not sure how much dancing you'll be doing... but think you'll be happy nonetheless :thumb_yello: The songs that I've heard so far haven't been overly "pop" or dancy... but we'll see. So anxious for the CD release. Here's the studio download of Montauk

Montauk

There's a show in VA in March - a few hours away - that I have a ticket to... on the chance that it will be a band show with some new material. Fingers crossed :biggrin2:

well... not sure how much dancing you'll be doing... but think you'll be happy nonetheless :thumb_yello: The songs that I've heard so far haven't been overly "pop" or dancy... but we'll see. So anxious for the CD release. Here's the studio download of Montauk

Montauk

There's a show in VA in March - a few hours away - that I have a ticket to... on the chance that it will be a band show with some new material. Fingers crossed :biggrin2:

i got FIRST ROW tickets!!!!! i'm so excited!!! :biggrin2::biggrin2:

am loving the seats now of course...:naughty:

thanks for the montauk download! :biggrin2: you're right, the song he did on that interview last weekend definitely wasn't overly energetic...:teehee: looks like i'll be ok! :naughty:

• 3 weeks later...

back from a trip across the pond which included a couple brilliant Rufus shows... for those fond of the Sonnets... here's a link to his performance at the Barbican in London with the BBC Symphony Orchestra... it was a gorgeous performance - the best of the sonnets imo :thumb_yello:

Rufus Sonnets at the Barbican

PS - rumors from friends that Mika was in the audience... I kept my eye out - but to no avail!

back from a trip across the pond which included a couple brilliant Rufus shows... for those fond of the Sonnets... here's a link to his performance at the Barbican in London with the BBC Symphony Orchestra... it was a gorgeous performance - the best of the sonnets imo :thumb_yello:

Rufus Sonnets at the Barbican

oh, thank you so much! i missed that live stream. :blush-anim-cl:

listening to it right now, this is pretty much what he did in san francisco, right?

...the memories are coming right back, wow, i loved that performance and the sound of his voice was so powerful. :swoon:

so glad you got to be there, and that you had such a nice trip. what was his other performance? was it also sonnets?

PS - rumors from friends that Mika was in the audience... I kept my eye out - but to no avail!

in mika's current state, i'm sure we would have heard about it on twitter if he was there...:teehee::naughty:

yeah - I wasn't able to make the San Francisco performance - but I believe it was similar :thumb_yello: Both the Valladolid, Spain and London-Barbican shows he performed the 5 sonnets with their respective orchestras.

Valladolid was all Rufus --- the opening 'act' were his sonnets... the Barbican performance of this was better in my opinion... I think the orchestra was better... and Rufus' voice was slightly overpowered in Spain. But unlike Barbican, Spain wasn't just the sonnets!! :thumb_yello:

He came back after an intermission and performed some of his songs with the orchestra - just amazing!

He did

Vibrate

Love Affair

Little Sister

A Rose

that Berlioz song he does - lol can't remember the name

You Go to My Head

Over the Rainbow

Oh What a World

The crowd was thrilled - over the top - he came back to do 2 encores

Halleluah

and the final aria - Fireworks from Prima Donna

after a few more returns to bow as the crowd wouldn't stop cheering... he returned and said ok ok... I'll do 1 more and asked the crowd what we wanted... a few of us shouted Poses and he obliged :biggrin2:

A fantastic couple of weeks... now waiting for a couple semi-local (lol - 3 hour drive or so) shows... a show in Virginia in 2 weeks that I hoped would be a band show... kind of a warm up gig for the new cd/band tour... but I asked Rufus after the Spain show and he said it's just him - darnit! I'll have to be patient and wait until May to see him with the band in Brooklyn (with Teddy Thompson opening! :thumb_yello:)

oh.. and Mika.. yeah - I should have known there wasn't credence to that rumor - but a friend sent me a message when we were on our way to the show that he was - so I was looking all night lol :blush-anim-cl:

yeah - I wasn't able to make the San Francisco performance - but I believe it was similar :thumb_yello: Both the Valladolid, Spain and London-Barbican shows he performed the 5 sonnets with their respective orchestras.

Valladolid was all Rufus --- the opening 'act' were his sonnets... the Barbican performance of this was better in my opinion... I think the orchestra was better... and Rufus' voice was slightly overpowered in Spain. But unlike Barbican, Spain wasn't just the sonnets!! :thumb_yello:

He came back after an intermission and performed some of his songs with the orchestra - just amazing!

He did

Vibrate

Love Affair

Little Sister

A Rose

that Berlioz song he does - lol can't remember the name

You Go to My Head

Over the Rainbow

Oh What a World

The crowd was thrilled - over the top - he came back to do 2 encores

Halleluah

and the final aria - Fireworks from Prima Donna

after a few more returns to bow as the crowd wouldn't stop cheering... he returned and said ok ok... I'll do 1 more and asked the crowd what we wanted... a few of us shouted Poses and he obliged :biggrin2:

A fantastic couple of weeks... now waiting for a couple semi-local (lol - 3 hour drive or so) shows... a show in Virginia in 2 weeks that I hoped would be a band show... kind of a warm up gig for the new cd/band tour... but I asked Rufus after the Spain show and he said it's just him - darnit! I'll have to be patient and wait until May to see him with the band in Brooklyn (with Teddy Thompson opening! :thumb_yello:)

oh.. and Mika.. yeah - I should have known there wasn't credence to that rumor - but a friend sent me a message when we were on our way to the show that he was - so I was looking all night lol :blush-anim-cl:

the spain show sounds amazing - the crowd not letting him go? wish that would happen around here sometime. :naughty:

i would take 'just him' anytime, too...you are so spoiled on the east coast! :wink2:

well, hopefully we'll get to see mika in the US this year still! :biggrin2:

quite a busy year...

You may have already heard... but as suspected... your wish has been granted :biggrin2:

Rufus at Luminato

Yes I am so excited!!!! :woot_jump:

The square where he will be performing the album is literally right outside my office window. They are doing the Kate McGarrigle show in my neighbourhood too so I will go to that as well.

I've been on the Luminato mailing list for a couple of years and I think they will offer presale tickets so hopefully I can get some decent ones.

Yes I am so excited!!!! :woot_jump:

The square where he will be performing the album is literally right outside my office window. They are doing the Kate McGarrigle show in my neighbourhood too so I will go to that as well.

I've been on the Luminato mailing list for a couple of years and I think they will offer presale tickets so hopefully I can get some decent ones.

i saw that, too, and thought about you! :thumb_yello::biggrin2: