Calling all Londoners: I am traveling to London and need advice:)

rumbagirl

I am so excited to travel to London in July---it will be when Mika's concert is at Somerset--but my boss approved the trip this week and tix were already sold out.

I will be taking a course at the Homeopathic Hospital (I think it is in the Bloomsbury district) for two weeks. I have never been to London and am so excited. I want to see the Tower of London definitely, but what else do you suggest?

I am not sure what my hours at the hospital will be---considering here in Philly I work 12-14 hour days----but I hope my weekends will be free.

Thanks in advance!!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so excited to travel to London in July---it will be when Mika's concert is at Somerset--but my boss approved the trip this week and tix were already sold out.

I will be taking a course at the Homeopathic Hospital (I think it is in the Bloomsbury district) for two weeks. I have never been to London and am so excited. I want to see the Tower of London definitely, but what else do you suggest?

I am not sure what my hours at the hospital will be---considering here in Philly I work 12-14 hour days----but I hope my weekends will be free.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi, I'm not a Londoner, but I have some suggestions. Go to the London Zoo for in this case you can be completely sure to step on the same ground that Mika stepped, ha-ha.:roftl: Then go to Dungeon - it's on Tooley street - VERY funny place, with vampires, fluorescent sceletons boats and lots of funny stuff. And if you like art definitely go to Tate modern - its really cool:biggrin2:

I've been to London twice, or three times , or five times depending on how you count it ^^

Go to Madam Tussaud's! They haven't got a Mika doll yet, but you can meet many other celebrities ^^

I liked British Museum too. But I nearly got lost there ^^ LOTS of interesting stuff to see there!

I'm not a Londoner.. but I can assure you, you want to see the London Eye!!! :lol3: and the Natural History Museum!! And Buckingham Palace!!

Oh.. not to forget: HARRODS!! :punk::bleh:

(Edit: PICCADILLY CIRCUS!! (you MUST visit the Virgin Megastore!!))

Bloomsbury...

Closest sight is the British Museum. Fun if you like mummies or ancient sculptures..etc.

But...If you would like to see the sights I suggest you take the underground, get off in central London and WALK:

e.g.: get off at Hyde Park Corner and walk to Buckingham Palace ( watch the change of the guards) - St James's Park - Westmister Abbey, the Houses of Parliament...then, if it is daylight and you have time to queue for hours, cross over the bridge and get on the London Eye ( it is actually worth the wait), but if you prefer to explore more, just walk up the Road called Whitehall from the Houses of Parliament and you will soon reach Trafalgar Square with pigeons and the National Gallery..etc. (esp. if you like paintings) then you might walk to Piccadilly Circus ( kind of Times Square) and from there you can either choose to go to SOHO for some entertainment (eg. visit Covent Garden i.e.The Royal Opera House that young Mika used to frequent) or walk down Regent Street towards Oxford Circus and then Oxford Street if you fancy a bit of shopping.

Greetings from

an ex-Londoner and frequent visitor:wink2:

Oh, St James' Park is funny! Many animals ^^ We fed some pidgeons and a man played with a squirrel o.O

Covent Garden is a cute place! I think it's some kind of market there, and cute small shops ^^

Hi,

If you want to go and sample some Lebanese food and have a little slice of the Middle East in London, then go to Edgware Road. It's full of Lebanese restaurants and cafes... it's really nice :)

I'm going to visit London next week so this is a good thread for me too lol! I'm stopping 3 nights and so far I've got planned to see Madam Tussards, check out Harrods, go on the London Eye and see Phantom of the Opera. Can't wait :cool:

Oh, you guys and gals are awesome!!! I am so excited for my trip. I wanted to plan as much as I could before leaving so I can spend my free time there wisely.

Thanks so much!!!

Can't wait to see it!!

There are two ways to get a good look at the city:

The number 15 bus - This goes from Paddington station all the way to The Tower (and beyond, to the East End). It travels via Marble Arch, Oxford St/Circus, Regent Street, Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, the Strand, Fleet Street, St. Paul's Cathedral, Monument and the Tower of London/Tower Bridge. This route still has the old Routemaster buses and you get a very different perspective of London from the upper deck than you do just walking down the street.

By boat - you can take a tour boat (with a Cockney guide) from Westminster to the Tower of London or Greenwich. Greenwich is a perfect trip for a Sunday when the Greenwich Market is held. The Trafalgar Pub in Greenwich is a great place for a Sunday roast at lunch time. It overlooks the Thames, just to the east of Greenwich Pier. Beyond the market is the Royal Observatory where the Meridian line passes through. It's in Greenwich Park which also has beautiful flower gardens, a large pond, deer and an oak tree said to date from the time of Elizabeth I.

If you take the boat to Greenwich I would recommend returning via the Docklands light rail which takes you above ground via Canary Wharf so you can see the Isle of Dogs and the Docklands. It terminates at the City where you can connect with the Tube to get back to Bloomsbury.

For sightseeing, Westminster Abbey is a must. Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots are entombed here, among many others. I'd also recommend going to St. Paul's Cathedral because you can climb into the dome. Try to stay in the area prior to services as they will ring the bells. They echo off the surrounding buildings and the sound is incredible. St. Paul's ringing times

If you like Shakespeare at all, try to get to the Globe Theatre. It's a faithful reproduction of the original and the productions are similar to what you would have seen in Shakespeare's day.

If you like lots of activity, head to Leicester Square/Soho/Covent Garden. There are tons of tourists, theatres, buskers, restaurants, unique shops, pubs, etc.

If you like shopping, aside from Harrod's, Tottenham Court Road is good for electronics, Oxford St. for high street flagship stores, Regent Street for higher end stuff and Bond St. and Sloane St. for designer shops.

Have fun!!! I lived in London for 3 years and still miss it every day. There's nothing like it.

Hi,

If you want to go and sample some Lebanese food and have a little slice of the Middle East in London, then go to Edgware Road. It's full of Lebanese restaurants and cafes... it's really nice :)

There is one Lebanese restaurant in Baker Street that has been there for decades, I guess. I remember I always wanted to go out to dinner there because it looks ( or used to look) kind of posh, but never made it. (I actually tried Lebanese food first in Cyprus and I loved it).

I checked it on the net: it is called Al Fawar and it is located at 50 Baker Street. Easy to find.

Anyway, when I was checking on the net I found one in Bloomsbury, called Saffron and it is on Sicilian Avenue.

Wow, you all are awesome!! I feel like I have my own tourguides!!

And, thanks for the Lebanese restaurant tips---I am half Syrian/half Slovak, so Lebanese food is pretty darn similar to Syrian food and will be great to have. I know Indian restaurants are popular there, but I get so sick on curry, that I have to avoid those, oh well.

I am so excited for this trip. I wonder if there is a place I can listen to Mika's concert at Somerset House???

Thanks, everyone!!!!

• 10 months later...

This thread makes me relieved! :wink2:

I will visit london very soon,but I felt scared a little:no: i decided it bymyself though.

London is sort of the last city I'd expect to visit,it is very far from Japan,but since I heard MIKA songs I have started curious about UK,especially London.

I wish UK POUND would no more expensive than now... Anyway,I hope everything will be great !:punk: