Mika proud to be a 'pop' artist

dcdeb

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=270536

Mika proud to a 'pop' artist

Thursday May 31 20:01 AEST

British singer-songwriter Mika considers himself part of a new wave of performers who can proudly and credibly call themselves "pop" artists.

"Pop became a dirty word after the 1990s. Pop lost its way. But now it's certainly coming back on track," the 23-year-old said in Sydney on Thursday.

Mika's debut single Grace Kelly has been a hit around the world and cemented itself in the top 10 of the Australian ARIA singles chart for the past 11 weeks.

A virtuoso pianist with a four-octave vocal range, Mika's influences range from the opera he sang as a child to the great self-made masters of reinvention such as Prince.

In Australia as part of a globe-trotting promotional tour for his debut album Life In Cartoon Motion, Mika admitted he fears the huge global success of his first offering could see him pigeon-holed and destined to disappoint fans on his next release.

"It's all quite heart-warming, but it's early days," he said.

"So don't get sick of me yet."

Born in war torn Beirut, Lebanon, Mika and his family fled to France and eventually settled in England. Much of his growth as a musician came when he trekked around the United States working with as many creative minds as he could find.

Such a journey has developed Mika as an artist who is proud to be "placeless" and not bound by the expectations of any country or style of music.

"It's about the album as a body of work and songs, as opposed to singles. I'm not Crazy Frog. I'm here for a long time," he said.

Mika said he considered himself a writer more than a musician and music is simply a tool to his story-telling.

"Because I embrace and adore the concept of a pop song and the challenges of writing pop songs, I seem to often be misunderstood for someone who is a manufactured product, who isn't actually a serious musician," he said.

"I mean pop music as it was in the 60s and 70s. Now pop is coming back, records are infused with so many different influences. You've got Amy Winehouse playing soul-pop, Lily Allen making reggae-pop, Christina Aguilera making pop in the old swing and big band style and its' so fun, and its production is so sophisticated."

He describes his own work as "psycho-babble hyper-pop".

"It's all pop. Pop is good now, and it's getting better," he said.

Ironically, Grace Kelly is a song which thumbs its nose at the music industry in much the same way Australian country-crossover singer Kasey Chambers did with her breakthrough single, Not Pretty Enough.

When this is mentioned to Mika, who obsessively collects designer toys and pop music from around the world, he breaks into his own word-perfect version of Chambers' song.

"I told you I have a massive pop anthology from around the world. I know that song, it's great," he said.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great quotes.

I love the fact that he is unashamed to be a pop artist, and isn't trying to be all pretentious with his music. I'm into alternative and indie rock, but I love pop provided it's good pop (my favorite is 60s and 70s pop, exactly)--and I'm really glad people like Mika are bringing it back.

--Jack

Great! This is the first news I have seen from Oz, the big MIKA promo ball has started rolling, we will be filled with interviews and photos from Australia for the next 4 days!! YAY!!:biggrin2:

In addition to my short reply here are my personal thoughts:

I love pop music. Especially pop music from the seventies. I think that is one of the reasons why Mikas music attracts me. And I like his ideas about the comeback of pop music.

And now I'm going to look for that song by Kasey Chambers. :wink2:

It's good that we get to learn more and more about him now that he is going around... i was so sick of the same questions that was directed to him previously. By the way I had an episode of fear for Mika's future few weeks back... he is topping the charts and winning hearts so fast that i was afraid he might not be able to top this next time around, but I now I'm sure he's got it sorted out... can't wait for MORE! MORE AND MORE! :biggrin2:

"I mean pop music as it was in the 60s and 70s. Now pop is coming back, records are infused with so many different influences. You've got Amy Winehouse playing soul-pop, Lily Allen making reggae-pop, Christina Aguilera making pop in the old swing and big band style and its' so fun, and its production is so sophisticated."

YAY Mika likes Christina Aguilera, these two are my FAVOURITE!!!!! singers EVER! :biggrin2:

I'm just happy to see him pointing out that other 'pop' artists are also heavily influenced by past genres and artists (as if this were news anyway!! doh!) and not just him! And that it's not a crime, as Mika-hating journos would have everyone believe, but just a fact of modern music, ie pretty much everything has been 'done' by now and it's truly hard to be totally original.

To me, mika is as original and unique as it's possible to be within the limits of 'pop' these days. If that makes sense. That's why he's so fab.

Great! This is the first news I have seen from Oz, the big MIKA promo ball has started rolling, we will be filled with interviews and photos from Australia for the next 4 days!! YAY!!:biggrin2:

Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!:biggrin2: xx

i knooow!! isnt that cool!??? :roftl: :roftl:

was her big fan before Mika LOL

Same was/AM a HUGE christina fan she was the only artist i cared and followed since Mika arrived :wub2: and NOW they're both virtually level in my eyes!

Same was/AM a HUGE christina fan she was the only artist i cared and followed since Mika arrived :wub2: and NOW they're both virtually level in my eyes!

yeaa...im STILL a huge fan too xD but she is #2 eheh xD

or kind of like sharing the same place with Mika XDD

---her greatest performance is It's a man's world :mf_rosetinted:

<3

yeaa...im STILL a huge fan too xD but she is #2 eheh xD

or kind of like sharing the same place with Mika XDD

---her greatest performance is It's a man's world :mf_rosetinted:

<3

That peformance was just :shocked: :shocked:

It just confirmed to me that she is a LEGEND!!!!!

and BTW have you heard her version of "Mother" by John Lennon :shocked::thumb_yello:

Well when you are proud and take the responsibility of what you're doing, I believe that's the way to be an opposite to Crazy Frog... :mf_rosetinted:

And ain't Mika already doing that?

Yes, LICM has gained (and will gain) a huge success.

There's no way the next album will be similar to the first one.

I won't be dissapointed of the next album as long as it's done by heart as the first one.

Even how I love the premiere album, Im actually eagerly waiting the new album to be something very different!

That peformance was just :shocked:

It just confirmed to me that she is a LEGEND!!!!!

and BTW have you heard her version of "Mother" by John Lennon :shocked::thumb_yello:

yeap!! i even made my dad changed my mind about her when we saw THAT performance :thumb_yello:

and omg! :shocked:

that version was AMAZING :mf_rosetinted:

so yeaa :bleh:

back to Mika xD LOL

I cant wait for his new album!!!!!

im waiting....and still waiting.....wait.....ing

Thanks for this, it's great!:thumb_yello:

And how can he think that we'd ever get sick of him?!? I think this is impossible, no wait...I know this is impossible. And I bet his new album is going to be great as well since all his songs are-so how could it be that the album wouldn't be just awesome?