Pop sensation Mika out to prove he is no one-hit wonder - channelasia.com

meimei88

Channel NewsAsia

Pop sensation Mika out to prove he is no one-hit wonder

By Roland Lim, Channel NewsAsia's Hong Kong Bureau Chief | Posted: 31 May 2007 1927 hrs

phpKd9ZX4.gif

HONG KONG: With his soaring falsetto and flamboyant bubble-gum pop, London-based singer-songwriter Mika has taken Europe by storm, and is ready for an Asian onslaught.

Channel NewsAsia's Roland Lim caught up with the star in Hong Kong, where he treated fans to a showcase performance.

With a vocal range of five octaves and a classical music background, when 24 year-old Lebanese-born Mika struts his stuff on-stage, he is a world away from his operatic roots.

Voted the Best Sound of 2007 in a BBC music poll, the singer-songwriter's first single 'Grace Kelly' topped the charts in the U.K. and took the No.2 spot in the U.S.

He is now out to prove he is no one-hit wonder, with his album 'Life In Cartoon Motion'.

"I had a lot of support making it, a huge amount of freedom which is quite rare for a major label artist, especially first time artists. This is my debut album but it is me, 100 per cent me and I didn't compromise on one thing," says Mika.

Many have compared Mika's sound to Queen, Freddie Mercury, Elton John, and George Michael.

"My influences were everything…from Arabic music to flamenco music to electronic music to reggae. To Queen, to bits of the Beatles, because of course, anyone my age can't live a day without being subjected to at least three Beatles references…and hence I'm kinda numb to it. I am a sum of all my influences, I won't deny that but did I calculate to sound like anyone? Absolutely not," says Mika.

At the age of 11, Mika got his first job, which was singing in the chorus of a Strauss opera in London in the London Opera House.

From there he went on to do solo recordings with the Opera House and contemporary music all over Europe, as well as even singing on chewing gum commercials.

Branching out to pop music allowed him to be the creative artist he craved to be: "I was always writing songs because I'm dyslexic, so I can't read music. I dropped out to make pop records because I didn't want to be an interpreter my whole life and you do classical music, you are an interpreter your whole life. I wanted to be able to write my own songs, create my own circus, which is exactly what I've done."

With a load of imagination and innovative wordplay, the musically adventurous star plans to regale fans with his distinct brand of music for some years to come.

Article is familiar and nothing we havent read before, but its great that he is making headlines in the Far East!! :punk:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this...I know he will make it...

This is my debut album but it is me, 100 per cent me and I didn't compromise on one thing," says Mika.

Go for it Mika!!!

My prediction is that his fan base in Asia will be bigger than anywhere else in the world. His poppy style and fashion and all the accessories and animals and toys are all so loved in Asia. Just watch his star soar!!:mf_lustslow:

Article is familiar and nothing we havent read before, but its great that he is making headlines in the Far East!! :punk:

I agree meimei -- but I don't think Mika has been #2 here in the US, despite

what it says... I wish, but it hasn't happened yet. :)

dcdeb

My prediction is that his fan base in Asia will be bigger than anywhere else in the world. His poppy style and fashion and all the accessories and animals and toys are all so loved in Asia. Just watch his star soar!!:mf_lustslow:

I agree, that's the same as what I was thinking.

Yeaaah Mika's gonna be the best thing in his generation of pop music. And we'll be here supporting him!:thumb_yello::biggrin2::mf_rosetinted:

He already is the best thing to happen to pop. About time someone original made a few waves in the industry and knock off some of these terrible manufactured boy/girl/ boy and girl bands.

AAAhhh they annoy me so much. Mika has more talent in his little toe.:naughty:

He already is the best thing to happen to pop. About time someone original made a few waves in the industry and knock off some of these terrible manufactured boy/girl/ boy and girl bands.

AAAhhh they annoy me so much. Mika has more talent in his little toe.:naughty:

I know he is, but to the non-believers, his star will rise. I also hate all these 'Stars' who became famous at shows like American Idol. Bleh:sneaky2: