Googling on Sunday Morning

babspanky

Just a few clips from google that mildly interested/amused me.

Caroline Sullivan's Glastonbury picks

Mika

Somerset's sylvan fields aren't Mika Penniman's natural milieu, but, showman that he is, he'll twirl around the stage as if a glitter-ball was lighting his way. Indisputably this year's Marmite, he'll certainly leave an impression, with those who "get" him loving every razzmatazz instant of his high-camp set.

Where to see him: Sunday, The Other Stage, 6.00pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pendennis

Oliver Marre

Sunday April 29, 2007

He's still off Messenger

Mika, this column's favourite camp chart-topper, has quickly learned the art of the celebrity snub. Having performed at last week's Hennessy Moscow Motion event in London, he refused to pose with either 'glamour' model Melinda Messenger or the 'aristocratic' one, Jasmine Guinness. His PR people later said they'd emailed photographers in advance insisting that no pictures should be taken at all. Quite the star, that Mika.

Tuesday April 24, 2007

Guardian Unlimited

The one that will melt the hardest of hearts: Love Today, Mika

Ironically, songs that celebrate the joy of living often produce the exact opposite sentiment in listeners, occasionally resulting in audio-assisted suicide. But Mika is on a crusade, dedicated to bringing undiluted joy to the ears of the British public and only slightly distracted from his mission by attempting to hit every conceivable note in one song. Love Today survives its saccharine theme by hinting that the purveyor has had to overcome adversity to arrive at his loudly proclaimed happiness, an area where Mika truly excels. It also has an ascending, key-sweeping chorus that is so naturally jolly it couldn't fail to melt the hardest of hearts. And you know what? Bouncy fop pop never sounded so good

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pete Cashmore

Saturday April 21, 2007

The Guardian

2007 will already go down as "the year of incredibly irritating No 1 singles that make you want to set fire to everyone involved in their conception", and if this follows Grace Kelly to the top of the charts, then it will provide extra grist to that mill. Thankfully, it won't. Because it's dreadful. Truly dreadful. It's very Scissor Sisters at their most irritating, with its ersatz disco groove and its scrotum-in-a-vice falsetto passages, but there's no song at the heart of it, and for the most part sounds like Kenny Everett pretending to be the Bee Gees. Only not funny.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~My week

Last Updated: 12:01am BST 09/06/2007

Ekow Eshun, Artistic director of ICA, describes his week to Serena Davies

Wednesday

Today was the press preview for the ICA's exhibition All Tomorrow's Pictures. Sixty people have taken pictures they feel represent tomorrow.

The artist Peter Blake submitted a photo of a weed in his back garden, while the singer Mika has taken one of the back of the Big Brother house.

I spent the day doing interviews and getting the ICA ready for that evening's opening party - including rolling out the red carpet. The party went really well. Our chairman Alan Yentob bought a print by the Chapman brothers for a few thousand pounds at the charity auction.

(maybe he did this when he was filming Love Today?) bab

Soames’s playlist in a class of its own

The Hon Rupert Soames - Winston Churchill's grandson, brother of Nicholas and chief exec of emergency generator company Aggreko - has a new favourite singer.

His iPod has been loaded up with tracks from Mika, some public-schoolboy-turned-pop-star who's apparently developing a following despite once composing an in-flight ditty for British Airways. Fans also tell me that he has a strange lack of intonation (Mika, not Soames), but the businessman reckons the singer's style to be "quite original". He should know, actually. Soames used to spin the discs at Annabel's.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/05/02/bmcoach102.xml

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the move: Zara Phillips

Zara Phillips was born in 1981 and is the daughter of Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips

On her CD changer

I usually plug in my iPod rather than listen to CDs. My favourites at the moment are Mika, Timbaland, Nelly Furtado and Maroon 5

Oldie, but goodie

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article1289311.ece

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article616109.ece

Old as well, but I liked to read the gravy comment again.

Thanks and goodbye.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/05/02/bmcoach102.xml

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the move: Zara Phillips

Zara Phillips was born in 1981 and is the daughter of Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips

On her CD changer

I usually plug in my iPod rather than listen to CDs. My favourites at the moment are Mika, Timbaland, Nelly Furtado and Maroon 5

Hehe, cool! So she is not only an excellent horserider (2006 World Champion in eventing) but she also likes Mika! :thumb_yello:

Pete Cashmore

Saturday April 21, 2007

The Guardian

2007 will already go down as "the year of incredibly irritating No 1 singles that make you want to set fire to everyone involved in their conception", and if this follows Grace Kelly to the top of the charts, then it will provide extra grist to that mill. Thankfully, it won't. Because it's dreadful. Truly dreadful. It's very Scissor Sisters at their most irritating, with its ersatz disco groove and its scrotum-in-a-vice falsetto passages, but there's no song at the heart of it, and for the most part sounds like Kenny Everett pretending to be the Bee Gees. Only not funny.

What a horrible little twerp:sneaky2:

Just a few clips from google that mildly interested/amused me.

Caroline Sullivan's Glastonbury picks

Pete Cashmore

Saturday April 21, 2007

The Guardian

Huh! He'd better hope he never crosse MY path! :badmood::bash: LOL!!:roftl:

What a nasty report though! Don't believe it. :shocked:

Oh! I forgot you were a horsewoman, Blue! :mf_rosetinted:

Yup, but I don't do what Zara does! She is a much braver girl than I am! :shocked::biggrin2:

That report in the Guardian is quite nasty indeed. Oh well, Mika is like marmite... :wink2: