Someone in the USA, can u help?

neeve272

Hey guys, this has nothing to do with Mika but I need help/info on sth that I reckon someone here might be able to assist with....

Ok I live in Ireland and I just finished my BA last year. I'm planning on applying to graduate programs in the US for Sept 2009. I've chosen the courses I want (Linguistics, I'm going to apply to 5 universities) and I'm just starting the application process.

Most of the courses ask for a "writing sample", though some call it a "research paper", and I was planning on sending a paper I had done for my final year. BUT I just saw that one of the universities recommends that the "writing sample" should be 15-20 pages... now the paper I was planning on sending is nowhere near that long, and I'm just wondering:

Do all universities expect a paper this long?

If so, I'll have to get started on a serious paper..... :sweatdrop:

I have already contacted one of the other universities to see what they say, but if there's anyone here who is familiar with the application requirements for graduate programs in the US and can shed any light on this, I'll be so thankful! :cheerful_h4h:

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it sort of depends on the school you want to go to. My sister didn't have to provide any writing samples except for what was already in her portfolio, and I think my writing sample only has to be about 5-10 pages long or something like that.

I think it sort of depends on the school you want to go to. My sister didn't have to provide any writing samples except for what was already in her portfolio, and I think my writing sample only has to be about 5-10 pages long or something like that.

Oh ok that's very interesting, thank u so much! I'll contact the other schools and see if they have the same requirements.

:flowers2: