Simpsons Is Banned!

Venezuela axes "The Simpsons" as bad for kids

CARACAS (Reuters) - Venezuela has forced U.S. cartoon "The Simpsons" off its airwaves, calling the show a potentially bad influence on children, and filled its morning slot with re-runs of the beach-and-bikini show "Baywatch."

"The Simpsons" satirical take on a dysfunctional American family had been shown, dubbed into Spanish, on the Televen network at an 11 am slot.

"Today I believe they started broadcasting something else," said a spokesman at Venezuela's broadcasting regulator Conatel. "They were infringing many things in the television and radio social responsibility law."

Conatel said it started proceedings against the morning airing of the show after complaints from viewers.

Televen has replaced the long-running and popular cartoon with "Baywatch Hawaii," late seasons of the "Baywatch" series that made actress Pamela Anderson a household name.

20th Century Fox Television, which owns "The Simpsons" and is part of News Corp, said it was not immediately able to comment on the decision to pull "The Simpsons." The long-running show was once criticized by former U.S. President George H. W. Bush but is now a major U.S. cultural reference.

Many Venezuelan television stations fill their schedules with reruns of old U.S. series and Latin American soap-operas.

WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS? (sorry if already been posted!)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG !!! :shocked: The simpsons CANNOT be banned !! :shocked: my son wont be very happy , PLUS the series where they are in therapy in the electric chairs is VERY educational !! Its all part of psychology !! :shocked::naughty: ...

But personally i love the simpsons i think these measures over a cartoon are pathetic :thumbdown: end of the day i dont believe cartoons influence youngsters aslong as they have parents that show discipline and right from wrong in thier own way :thumbdown:

OMG !!! :shocked: The simpsons CANNOT be banned !! :shocked: my son wont be very happy , PLUS the series where they are in therapy in the electric chairs is VERY educational !! Its all part of psychology !! :shocked::naughty: ...

But personally i love the simpsons i think these measures over a cartoon are pathetic :thumbdown: end of the day i dont believe cartoons influence youngsters aslong as they have parent that shows discipline and right from wrong in thier own way :thumbdown:

my point exactly! my brother watches the simpsons everyday and i probably wouldnt have found out about it unless he had told me.....so i thought it would make an interesting topic for a thread....:roftl:

what do you think?

As far as I know, it has not been banned, only transferred to some other hour when children can't watch it so easily. I'm all against bannings and censorship and that sort of things, and of course, swaping "The Simpsons" for "Baywatch" is not what I call a change thinking in the children, if you see what I mean. However, I never thought "The Simpsons" was a series for children to see and understand, just like "Family Guy" i. e. I am a big fan of "TS" myself and I watch it every day, and I wish everybody could enjoy them as much as I do, but (IMO) def. not children.

my point exactly! my brother watches the simpsons everyday and i probably wouldnt have found out about it unless he had told me.....so i thought it would make an interesting topic for a thread....:roftl:

what do you think?

I think its stupid :boxed: the same as video games ... its ok it being all over the news about youngsters committing murder coz of these violent computer games etc , but seriously , if kids have it drilled into them that these things are wrong , would it really come to murder etc ? ... personally i dont think so ... and now the simpsons is copping it ! :naughty:

I think its stupid :boxed: the same as video games ... its ok it being all over the news about youngsters committing murder coz of these violent computer games etc , but seriously , if kids have it drilled into them that these things are wrong , would it really come to murder etc ? ... personally i dont think so ... and now the simpsons is copping it ! :naughty:

Nah me either, i dont see why it shoudl be banned......

But personally i love the simpsons i think these measures over a cartoon are pathetic :thumbdown: end of the day i dont believe cartoons influence youngsters aslong as they have parents that show discipline and right from wrong in thier own way :thumbdown:

Well I am from Colombia , Next to Venezuela Really I think is a stupid thing I love the simpsons too I watch it everyday !!!!!!!!

I read it earlier... I think it's sick to do something like that. It's crazy, almost derisory!!!

It should be parents work to decide what their children can or cannot watch... it's not even close to a government related issue.

What a world...

As far as I know, it has not been banned, only transferred to some other hour when children can't watch it so easily. I'mall against bannings and censorship and that sort of things, and of course, swaping "The Simpsons" for "Baywatch" is not what I call a change thinking in the children, if you see what I mean. However, I never thought "The Simpsons" was a series for children to see and understand, just like "Family Guy" i. e. I am a big fan of "TS" myself and I watch it every day, and I wish everybody could enjoy them as much as I do, but (IMO) def. not children.

I agree. The Simpsons are great but let's face it...not anyone can really understand them. And I'm not referring to the children only. But there is something else that bugs me in this whole matter. I find it very hypocritical that some TV stations decide that shows like The Simpsons, South Park,..etc are not "appropriate" for kids, and that even some older viewers complain about them, saying that these kind of series insult they religious feelings (e.g) and stuff like that. But yet on the other hand no one complains when they have such a stupid and primitive thing like reality TV. Now don't get my wrong, I know that this kind of ''entertainment'' has millions of fans all over the world but I personally just don't get it. IMO Big Brother is the dummest thing they have ever come up with and I'm 100% that show like BB has worse influence on kids than TS could ever have but yet TS get banned and BB gets more and more fans every day...So what I'm trying to say is that it just makes me sad to see that a show with a great sense of humour and social criticism is so underestimated.

I agree. The Simpsons are great but let's face it...not anyone can really understand them. And I'm not referring to the children only. But there is something else that bugs me in this whole matter. I find it very hypocritical that some TV stations decide that shows like The Simpsons, South Park,..etc are not "appropriate" for kids, and that even some older viewers complain about them, saying that these kind of series insult they religious feelings (e.g) and stuff like that. But yet on the other hand no one complains when they have such a stupid and primitive thing like reality TV. Now don't get my wrong, I know that this kind of ''entertainment'' has millions of fans all over the world but I personally just don't get it. IMO Big Brother is the dummest thing they have ever come up with and I'm 100% that show like BB has worse influence on kids than TS could ever have but yet TS get banned and BB gets more and more fans every day...So what I'm trying to say is that it just makes me sad to see that a show with a great sense of humour and social criticism is so underestimated.

Couldn't agree more:thumb_yello:

Venezuela axes "The Simpsons" as bad for kids

CARACAS (Reuters) - Venezuela has forced U.S. cartoon "The Simpsons" off its airwaves, calling the show a potentially bad influence on children, and filled its morning slot with re-runs of the beach-and-bikini show "Baywatch."

Erm... :shocked:

Yeah, y'know, I can really see how swapping amusingly dysfunctional family hijinks with Pamela Anderson's surgically enlarged breasts promotes moral integrity in children. :mf_rosetinted: