Mika: Number One? / Leona to lose chart top spot

Cautionary Wife

DOTMUSIC (LAUNCH.COM)

Mika: Number One?

Mika is set to claim the UK's Number One single this weekend with his debut release "Grace Kelly".

Midweek sales figures suggest "X-Factor" winner Leona Lewis will be displaced from the chart top spot on Sunday by the flamboyant, hotly-tipped pop newcomer.

"Grace Kelly", which charted at number three on downloads alone last weekend, is expected to overhaul Lewis, with Just Jack's "Starz In Their Eyez" close behind.

Elsewhere in the Top Ten, The View, Klaxons, Jamie T and Damon Albarn's new project The Good, The Bad And The Queen are also expected to chart with new entries.

Mika releases his debut album, "Life In Cartoon Motion", on February 05.

From: http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna/article.html?a=/070117/340/gwml9.html&e=l_news_dm

---

VIRGIN.NET

17 January 2007

Leona to lose chart top spot

Leona Lewis is set to be toppled from the top spot in the singles chart this week as a clutch of up-and-coming artists battle for number one.

According to midweek sales figures, camp solo artist Mika is winning the race to top the chart ahead of rapper Just Jack and Scottish indie band The View.

Mika, who was born in Lebanon but has lived in London since he was nine, has sold almost 8,000 copies of his single 'Grace Kelly' on download sales alone a week before the physical release hits the shops.

Mika is now on course to jump from number three to number one ahead of Just Jack, who has sold more than 7,300 copies of his single 'Starz In Their Eyes' and is at number two in the midweek chart.

Dundee-based rockers The View are currently at number three with their third single 'Same Jeans', which has already proved to be their biggest hit to date.

But while the race is tight at the top of the chart, it seems certain that X Factor winner Lewis will not hold on for a fifth week at number one.

From: http://musicnews.virgin.net/Virgin/Lifestyle/Music/virginMusicNewsDetail/0,13556,1847353_music,00.html

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is, especially after reading the interview Mika did in one of the tabloids last week, Mr Cowell eat your hat, you could have had real talent that would last, but you chose the throw away option (where are Steve & Shane now, although I'll give you the right choice with Will Young).

I'm willing to bet that Mika will be around in five years, but Leona will maybe be around for a couple, if anyone cares that much after the next X Factor winner comes along.

What would be really great is if Mika had the Christmas No 1this year, that would really make my year.