Anybody else doing A Levels/AS Levels?

xBillyBrownx

Yeah! I looked into going to Hull college, but the A levels there are limited. They do more BTECs and NVQs and things like that - its great if you wanted to do hairdressing, childcare etc. but the languages there are limited.

I dont know whats gotten into my friend's head though.... well i do actually, her boyfriend. She wants to be a nurse, but shes going to music college because he is and her other friend is...... ...... i feel like telling her to wake up!! she might not be with him forever, she should do what she wants to do.

ahh i noe what you eman a lot of my friends ared makign similar mistakes and it's really sad.. but it's also really hard to stop them because THEY WON'T LISTEN

Media ruined me like that too.. only mainly with movies. I can't sit and watch a DVD with anyone because they end up screaming at me for over analysing it and stopping to rewind a part about 6 times because I couldn't work out which type of cut they used or something.

Saying that though I miss media so much this year, I might even do it next year at uni instead of the course I'm doing at the moment...which would effectively mean a wasted first year of uni and about £9000 down the drain. But there's no way I can do another 2 years of this course at this uni Help? Someone?

Saying that though, this year hasn't been a waste if I do that. I've got used to living away from home, got used to living in London, got sed to uni life in general and the structure etc. If/when I do it again next year I'll already be accustomed to those things. Plus this last 7 months has been the best 7 of my life so far so it can't be that much of a waste right?

well i think that if you really enjoy it and think it opens a career path for you then why not? yes of course it's a waste of money but it woould also be worse if you continue to study something you don't like and end up having to do it for the rest of your life.. but then again it's all up to you.

:roftl: I know what you mean ! : ... 499 looks psychologically more appealing though than 500 and thats what theyre trying to do ... I just cant believe some dumb asses fall for it :roftl: Sorry im not always politically correct :naughty:

Its like in the supermarkets and my friend says look ! why dont you get 2 for 2.50 ?? :blink: because i dont wanna spend 2.50 i wanna spend 1.70 !! :roftl:

ahh psychological pricing! it's very annoying but almost everyone falls for it! i can't help it i just tend to skip the last couple of numbers..:boxed:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah exactly ! :thumb_yello: and yes my 30 pages comes in september :boxed::naughty: Cant say im looking forward to it !

yeeesh! and her bibliography was several pages too! :blink: my sister got a 2:1 at the end of it all, which i believe is the equivalent of a B? If so, only one person in her course got an A.

yeah my sister studied media performance for three years and her dissitation was like, more than 30 pages :shocked: your 5000 word essay sounds like a dream compared to hers LOL :roftl:

well in childcare we did scratch the surface of it, but it was really interesting, and i could tell the difference in mine and other students' work. I'm naturally deep and constantly in thought and so mine was more...advanced than everyone else's. That's what made me want to do counselling in the first place. we had to do this thing called "who am i?" and everyone was like "hi, I'm "_________" and im "___" years old and i do "________" for a living. I like to do activities like...." whereas mine was just so different (i'll go and find it in a sec)

what i like about counselling is that, yes, you DO learn about yourself. I mean, of course it's all facts and whatever, but it's different facts, you know? It's about yourself as well as other people, and a lot of it is about growth and development...how you change...and why...and shizz...

Yeah the Who am i , is really interesting caz ! ... and your right people do grow , i also believe past experiences help you to evolve into the person you are later on in life so may always be changing based on experiences and also why people have so many side and also depending which situation your faced with :thumb_yello: You know freud ? IM SURE you will hear about him in counselling the man is a genius , and knows his shizz! Hes all about past experience :thumb_yello:

Yeah I hated newspapers too. Our teacher chose our A2 modules and he chose news and politics over radio production. Pfft

Well the £9000 is fees and accommodation.....a lot of money to waste though. I'm doing tourism management and events planning at the moment. I like the tourism part....just not the tourism MANAGEMENT. It's too business oriented and I really can't get into it and I HATE the Events planning bit. I think I've been to 3 lessons of it since September because I hate my teacher so much. He really has a problem with me for some reason :blink:

So do I do another 2 years of something I hate just to get it over with orrrr change course and change university to something I think(but can't be certain) I'll enjoy more which will mean another year and an extra years worth of student debts?

yeah but are you doing the tourism management for the next few years or just this one?

Yeah the Who am i , is really interesting caz ! ... and your right people do grow , i also believe past experiences help you to evolve into the person you are later on in life so may always be changing based on experiences and also why people have so many side and also depending which situation your faced with :thumb_yello: You know freud ? IM SURE you will hear about him in counselling the man is a genius , and knows his shizz! Hes all about past experience :thumb_yello:

i talked about what i would learn in the five year counselling course at college (hich you have to be 18+ to study, and i am, so..) and I believe we study theorists in our...3rd year or something?

yeah but are you doing the tourism management for the next few years or just this one?

3 years. :blink: That's why I want to change haha

Oh and I loved Freud. All my psychology A level essays used his theories...they were much more fun to write about. :naughty:

Oh and I loved Freud. All my psychology A level essays used his theories...they were much more fun to write about. :naughty:

:roftl:

well if it's three years i suggest you do a different course lol. that £9000 will be more wasted if you spend the next three years of your life doing something you hate.

Yeah I hated newspapers too. Our teacher chose our A2 modules and he chose news and politics over radio production. Pfft

Well the £9000 is fees and accommodation.....a lot of money to waste though. I'm doing tourism management and events planning at the moment. I like the tourism part....just not the tourism MANAGEMENT. It's too business oriented and I really can't get into it and I HATE the Events planning bit. I think I've been to 3 lessons of it since September because I hate my teacher so much. He really has a problem with me for some reason :blink:

So do I do another 2 years of something I hate just to get it over with orrrr change course and change university to something I think(but can't be certain) I'll enjoy more which will mean another year and an extra years worth of student debts?

*Buts in Coversation*

I had the same problem as you, i took management and stuff along them lines and HATED every second of it!

The 2nd year i changed to Something more 'Me' and im really enjoying it!

So i say go for the change, whats the point in doing something you dont enjoy? eh?

:thumb_yello:

:roftl:

well if it's three years i suggest you do a different course lol. that £9000 will be more wasted if you spend the next three years of your life doing something you hate.

*Buts in Coversation*

I had the same problem as you, i took management and stuff along them lines and HATED every second of it!

So i say go for the change, whats the point in doing something you dont enjoy? eh?

Yeah I agree!:thumb_yello:

HubbylyBubbly what are you studyig now?

*Buts in Coversation*

That's what I think too. My dad's convinced that I'll end up hating whatever else I chose even more so he's not too keen.

If I change universities too though (my current one doesn't do the course I like) I'm gonna have to apply using UCAS which means I need to get a reference and everythign all over again :blink:)

That's what I think too. My dad's convinced that I'll end up hating whatever else I chose even more so he's not too keen.

If I change universities too though (my current one doesn't do the course I like) I'm gonna have to apply using UCAS which means I need to get a reference and everythign all over again :blink:)

wouldn't it be worth it all, though?

(oh, and that pic of you, cynthia and laura from the newspaper has been cut out and is now on my wall! :roftl:)

Yeah I agree!:thumb_yello:

HubbylyBubbly what are you studyig now?

Im studying textile Technology:wub2:

Yeah my parents were like that, but its your choice:bleh:

I didnt have to move Univesities but i know what you mean, Plus you might have to settle in all over again and move places and stuff:thumbdown:

But i bet it will all be worth it!

whatttt?! are you serious?! i thought you were like..17!

:shocked:

do I look that young? I'm 22 :naughty:

Awesome ! :thumb_yello: I dont think i could handle anymore years of Uni so i admire your determination !

Ill just stick with the 3 years of a Degree , :naughty:

I like being at uni. I think I'll miss it when I'm done with it. I'll miss being free on Mondays and Thursdays and never having to get up before 9am :naughty: :naughty:

Im studying textile Technology:wub2:

Yeah my parents were like that, but its your choice:

I didnt have to move Univesities but i know what you mean, Plus you might have to settle in all over again and move places and stuff:thumbdown:

wow that sounds really interesting! care to elaborate?:wink2:

do I look that young? I'm 22 :naughty:

I like being at uni. I think I'll miss it when I'm done with it. I'll miss being free on Mondays and Thursdays and never having to get up before 9am :naughty: :naughty:

haha you dooo! it's a very good thing:naughty:

Yeahhh freud was amazing , i based alot of my essays on him too :wub2: If My university did arts therapy , i would definately study that !! we did a little bit in class and drew our own pictures and our tutor anaysed them , it turned out my drawing meant i foucs too much on family life and dont have enough time for friends and family due to my picture of partying and friends being so small in the corner :( ... of course thats all changed now , and most of my life is partying :naughty::thumb_yello:

wow that sounds really interesting! care to elaborate?:wink2:

:naughty: Its not THAT interesing lol,

um...its where you design new clothes and make them, and then learn how to manufacture them and how they could be put into shops, etc...I just mainly do it for the making of the outfits, i love that bit:wub2:

Yeah my parents were like that, but its your choice:bleh:

Oh yeah I won't take any notice of my parents :naughty: They told me not to bother going to uni in the first place. I decided and applied while my dad was on holiday 2 weeks before term started, then told him when he got back I'd be be moving half way across the country in a week :roftl: They trust my decisions though, just try and make sure I don't do something i'll regret.

I don't mind having to go to a different uni, I loved the settling in bit. Plus I could go in halls again which would end my search for a cheap flat in London (which is impossible)

I might send a facebook message to my old college tutor from last year and ask for another reference - he's gonna hate me for that, he didn't stop complaining about having to write ours last year :naughty:

um...its where you design new clothes and make them, and then learn how to manufacture them and how they could be put into shops, etc...I just mainly do it for the making of the outfits, i love that bit:wub2:

wow that's so interesting! i'm really interested in fashion design but everyone keeps telling me it has very limited job opportunities:thumbdown: :boxed: but i don't noe

haha you dooo! it's a very good thing:naughty:

if you say so :naughty:

do you learn like sewing? or do you design clothes too? designing clothes must be fun!!

if you say so :naughty:

do you learn like sewing? or do you design clothes too? designing clothes must be fun!!

we have to make stuff for children in my child care course (like a pillow or something) AND I HATE SEWING MACHINES. I have a huge phobia of driving so i think that links in with it, because sewing machines have pedals. i have no problem with hand stitching, i love sewing by hand, but by machines? someone do it for me please!

we have to make stuff for children in my child care course (like a pillow or something) AND I HATE SEWING MACHINES. I have a huge phobia of driving so i think that links in with it, because sewing machines have pedals. i have no problem with hand stitching, i love sewing by hand, but by machines? someone do it for me please!

Arrgh! I'm petrified of them too! That's why i never did textiles at gcse.... i was always scared i would stitch my fingers together or the needle would fly off into my eye......

I got bored with them anyway, they took ages, so i used to just floor the pedal and it were a right mess......... :boxed:

I'm scared of sewing machines since I did textiles at school and the needle snapped and flew across the room and cut my friends arm. :blink: No idea how it happened but I felt sooo bad.

Ouch! That sounds so bad!! Imagine if it had gone in someones eye.... :boxed: :boxed:

I tried graphics instead, i thought it would be a little less dangerous......... when we had to do technology, before you took your options, i was always scared of the machines and using saws - id always get someone else to do it for me!!

Ouch! That sounds so bad!! Imagine if it had gone in someones eye.... :boxed: :boxed:

I tried graphics instead, i thought it would be a little less dangerous......... when we had to do technology, before you took your options, i was always scared of the machines and using saws - id always get someone else to do it for me!!

I did graphics for GCSE but we had to do textiles before that. Graphics was a much safer option although some of those plastic cutter machine things scared me a bit.

I did Graphics for GCSE and I got a C ... I think. Yeah, a C. I could do the written side of it and the planning and whatever, but when it came to actually creating my perfume packaging I just hit a brick wall. Get me to design stuff if ya like but there's no way in hell I'm creating it :roftl:

but boo....got some rubbish news guys:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=34419481&blogID=366488199&Mytoken=771CE128-46BF-47FD-BFC04CEAD3C0644917882376

So, this is all pretty poo news...

Remember when I said about my dance group doing promo work? Well our first promo show was cancelled because of silly reasons, and so now instead of dancing two days a week, it’s gone back down to one. Which would be fine, except that now my weight loss will go even slower >_<

However, we are learning new dances still for this "end of year" thing which I really know nothing about. One dance is to *drumroll, wait for it* All That Jazz from Chicago *which totally hasn’t been done to death by other dance schools...* and the other one *which we haven’t started yet* will be to David Jordan, "Sun Goes Down" which I think is a pretty groovy song *see my profile to hear it*

Childcare is almost drawing to an end. We did an exam today which I thought was fairly easy, but I’m still really ill and was coughing ALL THE WAY THROUGH. I felt so stupid, and at one point I even went out of the room to cough my guts up. My nose was running at a rapid pace and my friend Joanne, who was sitting next to me, passed me some Strepsils. THANK YOU JO. You practically saved my throat. (from either being completely unusable or from having it chopped off by other annoyed students...)

Anyway, I won’t be doing the CACHE Level 3 Childcare course. I will be doing a 30 week course in Counselling instead. I’ve pretty much done the application form but hold those horses! The price to do this course is £400.

I spoke to my previous counselling teacher (well actually I had to stalk her..) and she told me to go to student services to see if I could get any funding. So I did.

I told them that I am only a part-time worker with only minimum wage. They asked me about my home situation and I said that I live with my parents. They asked me if I receive benefits which I don’t, and then they asked if my parents earn over £17, 000 a year. One of my parents earns more than that *don’t know about the other one lol* and so because of that, I was not eligible for funding.

Which I find absolutely ludicrous, because this is MY education, and I don’t want my parents to have to fork out £400! That’s just stupid!

So I gotta work it out somehow *groan* and damn well hope that this course is worth it!!! (lol...)

So yes. That’s my current situation.