The Drumming Thread!

MIKA_OBESSED

MIKA_OBESSED'S THREAD OF DRUMMING!

drums.jpg

http://www.drummerworld.com/index2.html

Welcome to my thread of drumming!This is a place to talk about drums,drumming,drummers,anything drum related!

Now I don't expect this thread to be famous,but give me a chance,hm?(by the way I'm NOT bored!)

So let's start with a little history.Later on I'll post videos and pics,and so can you!

A drum kit (or drum set or trap set) is a collection of drums, cymbals and sometimes other percussion instruments, such as a cowbell, wood block, chimes or tambourines, arranged for convenient playing by a single drummer.

The individual instruments of a drum kit are struck by a variety of implements held in the hand, including sticks, brushes, and mallets. Two notable exceptions include the bass drum, played by a foot-operated pedal, and the hi hat cymbals, which use a foot pedal in addition to the normal striking motion. Although other instruments can be used on a pedal, it is not common, as these two are usually occupied by the feet. Percussion notation is often used by drummers to signify which drum kit components are to be played.

Differing music styles implement the components of a drum kit in different manners. For example, in most forms of rock music, the bass drum and snare drum are the primary instruments used to create a drum beat. In jazz, however, the ride cymbal and hi hats (or brushed snare drum and hi hats) usually fill this role.

The exact collection of drum kit components depends on factors like musical style, personal preference, financial resources, and transportation options of the drummer. Cymbal, hi-hat, and tom-tom stands, as well as bass drum pedals and drummer thrones, are often referred to as "hardware."

History and Development

Drum kits first developed when drummers were encouraged to play as many percussion instruments as possible due to budget and space considerations in theaters. Up until then drums and cymbals were played separately in an orchestral fashion. Initially drummers played the bass and snare drums by hand, then in the 1890s they started experimenting with footpedals to play the bass drum. William F. Ludwig made the bass drum pedal system workable in 1909, paving the way for the modern drum kit.

By World War I drum kits were characterized by very large marching bass drums and many percussion items suspended on and around it, and they became a central part of jazz music. Hi-hat stands appeared around 1926. Metal consoles were developed to hold Chinese tom-toms, with swing out stands for snare drums and cymbals. On top of the console was a "contraptions" (shortened to "trap") tray used to hold whistles, klaxons, and cowbells, thus drum kits were dubbed "trap kits."

By the 1930s Gene Krupa streamlined trap kits down to a basic four piece drum set standard: bass, snare, tom-tom, and floor tom. He also used rim-mounted cymbal holders. In time legs were fitted to larger floor toms, and "consolettes" were devised to hold smaller tom-toms on the bass drum. In the 1940s Louie Bellson pioneered use of two bass drums, or the double bass drum kit. By the 1950s big bands were becoming uneconomical and jazz more obscure, thus rock and roll became the leading music genre. In 1964 drumming became more popular when Ringo Starr of The Beatles played his Ludwig kit on American television.

By the 1980s drummers like Bill Bruford and Neil Peart were adding more drums and cymbals to their kits and using electronic drums. Double bass pedals were developed to play on one bass drum, eliminating the need for a second bass drum. In the 1990s and 2000s, some drummers in popular music and indie music have reverted back to the Gene Krupa style of smaller drum kits.

DRUMMERS:

#1.MIKA_OBESSED

#2.Sarah_loves_mika

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im definately out of the habit now, but this is a great site that i used to learn from:

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments/16singleparadiddle.html

Get a practise pad, or just bash away at a cushion or something and those rudiments will develop your technique, stamina etc. :thumb_yello:

Your Bass drum heads on upside down!!!!! :naughty:

Im definately out of the habit now, but this is a great site that i used to learn from:

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments/16singleparadiddle.html

Get a practise pad, or just bash away at a cushion or something and those rudiments will develop your technique, stamina etc. :thumb_yello:

Your Bass drum heads on upside down!!!!! :naughty:

LOL yeah I know.:roftl:

You remind me of myself when i was your age - i was obsessed with the drums. But guitar and voice kind of took over.

I was sick of being at the back of the band!!!! Plus, you could never wear a skirt or nice shoes!! I had to live in trainers.

Drumming is my passion.I'm trying to start a band but I can't find a bass guitar player.*looks at you*:naughty:

Drumming is my passion.I'm trying to start a band but I can't find a bass guitar player.*looks at you*:naughty:

Haha... i think im a bit far away... :bleh:

Have you tried advertising in local music shops? local music magazines? there's also some good internet sites too. most of the ones i know are mainly British, but take a search on it.

You'll find one. :thumb_yello:

Haha... i think im a bit far away... :bleh:

Have you tried advertising in local music shops? local music magazines? there's also some good internet sites too. most of the ones i know are mainly British, but take a search on it.

You'll find one. :thumb_yello:

Hm...good idea!

Do you want me to add you to the member's list?

Hm...good idea!

Do you want me to add you to the member's list?

:naughty: if you like!

yeah, heres what i used to do

Make a little notice saying 'Bass player wanted' and then describe the age range, your location, whether you want female/male and your favourite bands etc.

Make it really colourful so it stands out and staple some little tabs onto it with your phone number/email address so people can take them off.

Then just ask your local music shops or supermarkets/newagents if you can put them up.

Advertise in the local newspaper as well, if you can.

This is an example of the internet sites which people advertise on:

http://www.partysounds.co.uk/go/mca-search.php

But this one is UK only.

You have to find them. A bass player wont come knocking on your door! (it'd be great though if they did!!) :naughty:

My boyfriend is a drummer :wub2: And a great one I might add :naughty:

I used to drum.. Not as a professional but merely for fun. As I got older I decided that drumming wasn't really my thing and stopped.. I still love it tho! :mf_lustslow:

:naughty: if you like!

yeah, heres what i used to do

Make a little notice saying 'Bass player wanted' and then describe the age range, your location, whether you want female/male and your favourite bands etc.

Make it really colourful so it stands out and staple some little tabs onto it with your phone number/email address so people can take them off.

Then just ask your local music shops or supermarkets/newagents if you can put them up.

Advertise in the local newspaper as well, if you can.

This is an example of the internet sites which people advertise on:

http://www.partysounds.co.uk/go/mca-search.php

But this one is UK only.

You have to find them. A bass player wont come knocking on your door! (it'd be great though if they did!!) :naughty:

Thanks!That's so nice!But if I can't find one...*looks at you*

Lol no just kidding.:naughty:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

But of course... only talking about the kit drum... and here I was getting all excited...

What about drums in a pipe band? Being a drummer in a pipe band myself (tenor for 7 years, bass for a bit over 1 yr) we have just as much skill...