The 'Grace Kelly' singer is in persistent good cheer and hard to resist at a Wiltern

greta

By Mikael Wood

Special to The Times

February 13, 2008

In his song "Grace Kelly," a No. 1 hit last year in Britain, Mika boasts, "I could be anything you like." It's a claim backed up by his kaleidoscopic debut, "Life in Cartoon Motion," on which the 24-year-old Londoner (the son of a Lebanese mother and an American father) mashes together musical styles the way Baz Luhrmann combines dramatic traditions in his movies. Into glam? Broadway? Stadium rock? Mika's got you covered.

Like Luhrmann, Mika is a state-of-the-art showman; he uses sensory overload not to say something depressing and profound about our techno-cultural moment but to reassert the primacy of art and love. Call him the anti-Radiohead.

But don't call him naive: Monday at the Wiltern -- performing with a 10-piece band on a flower-festooned stage that resembled a set from "Moulin Rouge" -- Mika acknowledged that the world (or at least our corner of it) isn't always receptive of a message like his.

"We've had some trouble with radio in this country," he admitted before playing "Grace Kelly." Earlier, he recounted a call he received from an executive at his American label worried that "Billy Brown," about a married man's affair with another man, "isn't appropriate for the U.S. market." Mika's response to the exec's request to remove the song from "Life in Cartoon Motion" -- a more colorful version of "Fat chance," shall we say -- elicited an approving roar from the adoring audience.

Despite (or perhaps because of) the music's cheer, Monday's show carried a whiff of confrontation, as if Mika and his fans pictured themselves locked in a battle with the cynical and the close-minded.

Thanks to Mika's effortless melodic sense and his seemingly inexhaustible supply of physical energy -- the latter showcased in a trash-can drum-off during "Love Today" -- picking sides was easy: Only a hardened misanthrope could deny the pleasures of Mika's disco-twang cover of Eurythmics' "Missionary Man" or "Lollipop," which closed the show in a riot of costumes, balloons and confetti.

It was anything but depressing. But in its way it ended up pretty profound after all.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a hardened misanthrope could deny the pleasures of Mika's disco-twang cover of Eurythmics' "Missionary Man" or "Lollipop," which closed the show in a riot of costumes, balloons and confetti.

Nope, even us hardened misanthropes can't do it. :naughty:

Cool review.This is different as I've found that american critics are possitive but condescending, and often don`t go beyond the theatrics and confetti. This isn`t the case.And finally somebody noticed that the stage settings resembles the set for the Moulin Rouge!

By Mikael Wood

Special to The Times

February 13, 2008

In his song "Grace Kelly," a No. 1 hit last year in Britain, Mika boasts, "I could be anything you like." It's a claim backed up by his kaleidoscopic debut, "Life in Cartoon Motion," on which the 24-year-old Londoner (the son of a Lebanese mother and an American father) mashes together musical styles the way Baz Luhrmann combines dramatic traditions in his movies. Into glam? Broadway? Stadium rock? Mika's got you covered.

Like Luhrmann, Mika is a state-of-the-art showman; he uses sensory overload not to say something depressing and profound about our techno-cultural moment but to reassert the primacy of art and love. Call him the anti-Radiohead.

But don't call him naive: Monday at the Wiltern -- performing with a 10-piece band on a flower-festooned stage that resembled a set from "Moulin Rouge" -- Mika acknowledged that the world (or at least our corner of it) isn't always receptive of a message like his.

"We've had some trouble with radio in this country," he admitted before playing "Grace Kelly." Earlier, he recounted a call he received from an executive at his American label worried that "Billy Brown," about a married man's affair with another man, "isn't appropriate for the U.S. market." Mika's response to the exec's request to remove the song from "Life in Cartoon Motion" -- a more colorful version of "Fat chance," shall we say -- elicited an approving roar from the adoring audience.

Despite (or perhaps because of) the music's cheer, Monday's show carried a whiff of confrontation, as if Mika and his fans pictured themselves locked in a battle with the cynical and the close-minded.

Thanks to Mika's effortless melodic sense and his seemingly inexhaustible supply of physical energy -- the latter showcased in a trash-can drum-off during "Love Today" -- picking sides was easy: Only a hardened misanthrope could deny the pleasures of Mika's disco-twang cover of Eurythmics' "Missionary Man" or "Lollipop," which closed the show in a riot of costumes, balloons and confetti.

It was anything but depressing. But in its way it ended up pretty profound after all.

Good review, thanks for posting.

I really take issue with the Radiohead slur though :naughty: They are as misunderstood as Mika is. Mika = seemingly throwaway but also deep. Radiohead= seemingly depressing but actually NOT!!

Why do people have to label everything.

:sneaky2: I love them both:wub2:

Oh Gata,

I wish I could agree with you...granted I don't appreciate Radioheads talent...I find they're music terribly depressing, whiney even...ok I am risking your wrath...but before you respond: I have had to listen to them more then once!!! So my opinion is based on evidence...:mf_rosetinted:

Oh Gata,

I wish I could agree with you...granted I don't appreciate Radioheads talent (???) I find they're music terribly depressing, whiney even...ok I am risking your wrath...but before you respond: I have had to listen to them more then once!!! So my opinion is based on evidence...:bleh:

:naughty: I'm sure you've had plenty of Radiohead thrust upon you lately Akim!!:wink2:

All I can say is, each to his own. I don't feel depressed after listening to Radiohead, in fact just the opposite. Sometimes 'downbeat' music can have the effect of uplifting you with its sheer beauty. LOL. I sound like a pretentious g** now.

OK folks back on topic now. Mika at the Wiltern wasn't it?:naughty:

Bravo Gata!

Yes, Akim has had some Radiohead thrust upon her lately..and much to her delight:naughty:

Your response to her was, shall I say quite eloquent. As for me, I've decided to bring more of my Radiohead CD's to our office, starting from tomorrow. I'll show Akim depressed!!:biggrin2:

Bravo Gata!

Yes, Akim has had some Radiohead thrust upon her lately..and much to her delight:naughty:

Your response to her was, shall I say quite eloquent. As for me, I've decided to bring more of my Radiohead CD's to our office, starting from tomorrow. I'll show Akim depressed!!:biggrin2:

:roftl: :roftl: :roftl:

Go on, depress away!! She'll be eating out of Thom's hand by the end of the day :naughty: :naughty: