Well...guess what. I was at that concert!! It was in Manchester 2 years ago. But at the time I was only a little tiny bit into MGMT, and unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention to them. My husband and I went to get a burger instead :blink: I would have liked to have stayed and watched, but....

I did hear their set from the burger van and remember Electric Feel and Of Moons Birds and Monsters most of all.

In retrospect, I am so annoyed with myself for not paying more attention. :sneaky2:

And I didn't stay around for any M&G. It was a huge gig (40,000 people, a stadium) so the M&G must have been for VIPs only I think.

:shocked: I would have done the same, I think... :roftl:

I don't know how it is with you, girls, but for me, I kind of discover certain types of music at certain stages of my life. I don't know if I would have loved MGMT that much if I have listened to them f.e. two years ago? :blink: Now I was "ready" for them to slowly hypnothise me, I have listened to heaps of other music in the months before that, so I was "prepared" for them in a way. And I also could appreciate much better how different and more complex they were in comparison to the other musicians.

Edited by southeast

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't listened to Mika in forever too. I listen to MGMT and other music very similar to it. I'm really into the psychedelic stuff right now.

Are there some other bands that you can recommend?

I can't wait to hear everybody's experiences for the upcoming shows. We've got our own mini forum right here.:biggrin2:

:biggrin2:

I don't know how it is with you, girls, but for me, I kind of discover certain types of music at certain stages of my life. I don't know if I would have loved MGMT that much if I have listened to them f.e. two years ago? :blink: Now I was "ready" for them to slowly hypnothise me, I have listened to heaps of other music in the months before that, so I was "prepared" for them in a way. And I also could appreciate much better how different and more complex they were in comparison to the other musicians.

I'm totally the exact same way. I heard Time to Pretend back in 2008 and had it on my iTunes but didn't really listen to it until this past year (it has since turned into my life statement and motto:naughty:). I feel like it was the perfect moment, since I too was also starting to develop a real appreciation for music and their stuff continues to amaze me even though I've listened to it so much. Sometimes you discover something in a song you've never noticed before and it is awesome.

Are there some other bands that you can recommend

I would recommend 'Of Montreal'.They are an indie pop band ,their vocalist Kevin Barnes remind me of Mika in a way . They have so many albums and they are friends with MGMT :teehee: .You should try to listen to 'Aldhils Arboretum', 'Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?',Skeletal Lamping and their last album called False Priest which has leaked on the internet 2 days ago but it will be officially released in September.

I know Mika used to play this song in 2007 before his gigs

Vampire Weekend and The Drums are other 2 bands I listen to these days.The last band sound like Beach Boys in 2010 :teehee:

And I suggest to turn down the volume :roftl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY_e6RGzyGk

And the most LOLfull pic of Andrew

tumblr_l77a76Gdlv1qc3rzlo1_400.jpg

Edited by vanessa

Ben when he was a kido

tumblr_l09tij6pqR1qzzl2xo1_250.jpg

I hope they will be friends forever and never split up :teehee:

androooo.png

This article is very interesting

http://www.theaquarian.com/2010/08/12/interview-mgmt-synth-pop-kingpins-congratulatory-return/

And more hot stuff here :

http://mgmt.fan-sites.org/

Edited by vanessa

Ben when he was a kido

androooo.png

http://www.theaquarian.com/2010/08/12/interview-mgmt-synth-pop-kingpins-congratulatory-return/

Aw Ben...so cute!! He does have the most adorable smile. Very genuine.

I think I am gonna try and stand to the left side when I go, to be near Ben and show him some love, as he doesn't get enough :naughty::wub2:.

Nice article too..and I don't think I need to even comment on the hot stuff :roftl:.

I would recommend 'Of Montreal'.They are an indie pop band ,their vocalist Kevin Barnes remind me of Mika in a way . They have so many albums and they are friends with MGMT :teehee: .You should try to listen to 'Aldhils Arboretum', 'Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?',Skeletal Lamping and their last album called False Priest which has leaked on the internet 2 days ago but it will be officially released in September.

I know Mika used to play this song in 2007 before his gigs

Vampire Weekend and The Drums are other 2 bands I listen to these days.The last band sound like Beach Boys in 2010 :teehee:

And I suggest to turn down the volume :roftl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY_e6RGzyGk

And the most LOLfull pic of Andrew

tumblr_l77a76Gdlv1qc3rzlo1_400.jpg

Thank you for all the informations! I really appreciate it! :thumb_yello:

I'll listen to all the things that you recommend!

Ben when he was a kido

androooo.png

I too hope that they won't split... Or at least in 30 years after 30 albums :teehee:

The article is very interesting, but: "buttressing their buoyantly brightened neoteric psychedelic whimsy"....:blink: come on, I am a non native speaker guys, have some pity with us, poor foreigners....:teehee: I'll need a dictionary to understand this one....lol

Edited by southeast

Thank you for all the informations! I really appreciate it! :thumb_yello:

I'll listen to all the things that you recommend!

I too hope that they won't split... Or at least in 30 years after 30 albums :teehee:

The article is very interesting, but: "buttressing their buoyantly brightened neoteric psychedelic whimsy"....:blink: come on, I am a non native speaker guys, have some pity with us, poor foreigners....:teehee: I'll need a dictionary to understand this one....lol

Don't worry about it. I'm English and even I don't understand some sentences in that article!! I think the author had swallowed several dictionaries for breakfast :naughty:

Are there some other bands that you can recommend?

I ditto all the other bands mentioned. Another good one is Tame Impala, they opened for MGMT when we saw them and they're really good.

I have a whole mess of random bands and artists I listen to. Some right now that I've been listening to a lot are Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, The Doors (who are basically the kings of late 60's psychedelic music), Girls, Final Fantasy (aka Owen Pallett)...

I could go on for awhile...:naughty:

I'm totally the exact same way. I heard Time to Pretend back in 2008 and had it on my iTunes but didn't really listen to it until this past year (it has since turned into my life statement and motto:naughty:). I feel like it was the perfect moment, since I too was also starting to develop a real appreciation for music and their stuff continues to amaze me even though I've listened to it so much. Sometimes you discover something in a song you've never noticed before and it is awesome.

I looove Time to Pretend. It was the first MGMT song I heard and it just knocked me over... I love the lyrics and the music... it is just perfect.

But I wouldn't take the lyrics too literally, right? We don't want to loose a MGMT fan so quickly....:naughty:

I ditto all the other bands mentioned. Another good one is Tame Impala, they opened for MGMT when we saw them and they're really good.

I have a whole mess of random bands and artists I listen to. Some right now that I've been listening to a lot are Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, The Doors (who are basically the kings of late 60's psychedelic music), Girls, Final Fantasy (aka Owen Pallett)...

I could go on for awhile...:naughty:

Thanks!

Yeah, the Doors......:wub2:, one of my favorites. It fact, as I heard one of MGMT's intro's at a gig (on UTube) I thought: "Wow, the Doors are back." Just for a second. Then it was MGMT all over again.

I heard about Arcade Fire few weeks ago for the first time (have been living under a rock for a while apparently :teehee:), perhaps I'll buy the new album....And yes, I've heard about Tame Impala as well, but never listened to them....

Ok, YouTube and iTunes, here I come.....

Edited by southeast

I looove Time to Pretend. It was the first MGMT song I heard and it just knocked me over... I love the lyrics and the music... it is just perfect.

But I wouldn't take the lyrics too literally, right? We don't want to loose a MGMT fan so quickly....:naughty:

Thanks!

Yeah, the Doors......:wub2:, one of my favorites. It fact, as I heard one of MGMT's intro's at a gig (on UTube) I thought: "Wow, the Doors are back." Just for a second. Then it was MGMT all over again.

I heard about Arcade Fire few weeks ago for the first time (have been living under a rock for a while apparently :teehee:), perhaps I'll buy the new album....And yes, I've heard about Tame Impala as well, but never listened to them....

Ok, YouTube and iTunes, here I come.....

Haha yes of course.:wink2: The song is meant to be a bit ironic. I just love the whole empowerment of the youth message.

I feel like MGMT is the closest band our generation has to the Doors. I sense that they get a lot of influences from the type of music the Doors made.

Arcade Fire is quite awesome. My favorite songs of theirs off the new album are Ready to Start and Sprawl II. Of their earlier stuff try Wake Up, Neighborhood #1, and Keep the Car Running.

If you know of any other cool bands, let me know! I'm always looking for new music to listen to!:biggrin2:

Haha yes of course.:wink2: The song is meant to be a bit ironic. I just love the whole empowerment of the youth message.

I feel like MGMT is the closest band our generation has to the Doors. I sense that they get a lot of influences from the type of music the Doors made.

Arcade Fire is quite awesome. My favorite songs of theirs off the new album are Ready to Start and Sprawl II. Of their earlier stuff try Wake Up, Neighborhood #1, and Keep the Car Running.

If you know of any other cool bands, let me know! I'm always looking for new music to listen to!:biggrin2:

Sure! And dito. :wink2:

A nice article about the guys: http://interviewmagazine.com/blogs/music/2010-08-16/mgmt-lollapalooza/ "the cherubic Andrew Vanwyngarden" sounds nice :wub2:

Didn't Andrew mention it in the interview at Loolapalozzakdhsihen (I can't remember the name...) you send us the link:
:teehee:

Something about a new vid coming out in few weeks?

I knew they had made a vid for Congratlations. Didn't know when it was coming out.

should be soon then!:biggrin2:

Didn't Andrew mention it in the interview at Loolapalozzakdhsihen (I can't remember the name...) you send us the link:
:teehee:

Something about a new vid coming out in few weeks?

Oh right I forgot as I watch too many interviews with them :blink::roftl:

I think it will be released at the end of August :teehee:

And now I'm watching a funny and long interview.

Oh right I forgot as I watch too many interviews with them :blink::roftl:

I think it will be released at the end of August :teehee:

And now I'm watching a funny and long interview.

:teehee: and :yay: end of August! :boing:

Since I can't use it as a siggie :sneaky2: I'll post it here. A man with red trousers :teehee:

Hey, what do you girls think: are those arms "natural" or is he doing a work out? I mean, I can't imagine Andrew doing any kind of work out, but who knows.... :teehee:

tumblr_l7dn73mRLu1qbec3do1_400.jpg

Edited by southeast

:teehee: and :yay: end of August! :boing:

Since I can't use it as a siggie :sneaky2: I'll post it here. A man with red trousers :teehee:

Hey, what do you girls think: are those arms "natural" or is he doing a work out? I mean, I can't imagine Andrew doing any kind of work out, but who knows.... :teehee:

tumblr_l7dn73mRLu1qbec3do1_400.jpg

I do wonder too about Andrew's arms :teehee:.

I think he used to do a lot of drumming, I'm sure I read that somewhere. That his dad taught him drumming when he was little, or something. I might be getting my facts confused, I don't know. But that would account for the arms!

Wow! :wub2: Vanessa, thank you for those pics! They both look great on those...

This thread is getting very dangerous for my health...:mf_lustslow::naughty:

How cute is Ben pretending to be asleep? Wonder if he's that cute when he's actually asleep? It's sad that I'll never know :teehee:.

Thanks.

I think he is... :sad: But we'll never see it...damn! :teehee:

Hey, you had to make your siggie smaller... Such a pity... I love reading threads on MFC and suddenly bumping against yours or Vanessa's signatures and looking at Andrew... :wub2:

Edited by southeast