• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old interview when they were The Management :teehee:

http://wesleyanargus.com/2004/04/13/weekly-wesceleb-the-management/

That's really interesting to see what they had to say before they became famous.

I would have loved to have seen the shows where they push each other off barrels :lmfao:

But seriously, they are really quite witty. A lot of people don't see that. Another fun/maddenening thing was that I lived less than ONE hour away from that school WHILE they went there. Too bad I was only 11 years old, otherwise I could have seen those shows...

That's really interesting to see what they had to say before they became famous.

I would have loved to have seen the shows where they push each other off barrels :lmfao:

But seriously, they are really quite witty. A lot of people don't see that. Another fun/maddenening thing was that I lived less than ONE hour away from that school WHILE they went there. Too bad I was only 11 years old, otherwise I could have seen those shows...

Wow! But I don't think they would have let you in there if you were only 11 at the time anyway? :dunno:

Hey, girls do you follow @VEVOaskreply on Twitter? They are going to show MGMT answering questions from fand in a few days.

I also asked a question, but I can't watch Vevo in Germany, damn it :aah:, so I hope someone will put the whole thing on Youtube soon after they show it. :naughty:

Yes, I am going on the 7th of Dec. :boing:

About coming to see them: why not? They have several gigs in Europe in December, don't they?

so yeah... i'll probably go see them in Spain/Portugal :wub2:

but i actually don't know any MGMT fans apart from you guys here... so, is going to a MGMT gig alone a good idea?? :boxed:

they really are!!! :mf_rosetinted:

it sometimes annoys me a little when i still see a lot of drug-related comments under thier vids on youtube. i mean, yes, most probably they still take drugs but they are seriously more than a bunch of druggies fooling around. when people say "OMG this makes me laugh so hard. they must be stoned", i'll go "come on, one doesn't need to be stoned to be interesting. these guys know what real humour is."

and andrew's lyrics is amazing. he's such a good lyricist :blush-anim-cl:

Wow! But I don't think they would have let you in there if you were only 11 at the time anyway? :dunno:

Hey, girls do you follow @VEVOaskreply on Twitter? They are going to show MGMT answering questions from fand in a few days.

I also asked a question, but I can't watch Vevo in Germany, damn it :aah:, so I hope someone will put the whole thing on Youtube soon after they show it. :naughty:

yup i've been waiting for that vid for ages!!!!!! :aah:

Oh I know they would not have let me in anyways.:naughty: Plus, at 11, I don't think I would have cared.

Yeahhh, Vevo is stupid like that with country restrictions. I'm sure someone else will upload it...I would if I knew how to...

so yeah... i'll probably go see them in Spain/Portugal :wub2:

but i actually don't know any MGMT fans apart from you guys here... so, is going to a MGMT gig alone a good idea?? :boxed:

they really are!!! :mf_rosetinted:

it sometimes annoys me a little when i still see a lot of drug-related comments under thier vids on youtube. i mean, yes, most probably they still take drugs but they are seriously more than a bunch of druggies fooling around. when people say "OMG this makes me laugh so hard. they must be stoned", i'll go "come on, one doesn't need to be stoned to be interesting. these guys know what real humour is."

You could go alone. I don't see why not. I'd rather go alone and love it than go with someone who doesn't care and ruins the mood.

I totally agree. Yes, we all know that they like to dabble in certain substances. But who cares? Really? If it helps them make the amazing music they do, then let it be. People who leave comments like that are just immature. You're right, they understand real humour. And oh my Andrew's lyrics...sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't...but even when I don't, they're still so beautiful. I listen to the crap they play on the radio sometimes and it doesn't even come remotely close to the stuff that Andrew and Ben write. I have so much respect for them.:wink2:

I totally agree. Yes, we all know that they like to dabble in certain substances. But who cares? Really? If it helps them make the amazing music they do, then let it be. People who leave comments like that are just immature. You're right, they understand real humour. And oh my Andrew's lyrics...sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't...but even when I don't, they're still so beautiful. I listen to the crap they play on the radio sometimes and it doesn't even come remotely close to the stuff that Andrew and Ben write. I have so much respect for them.:wink2:

+1 They/Andrew can write really understandable and normal and also great lyrics if he wants too: look at Indie Rokkers.

But he said in an interview they don't want to tell stories anymore, cause they find it boring.... That's like with hits: they could go on writing stuff like Kids, they just don't want to. That's what I find really cool about them.

Sometimes I am afraid, they will soon say they find that whole music business boring as well, cause they are moving too fast through all those stages (rockandroll, experiments with drugs, being stoned, a hipster...stage after all that, getting more mature, writing more mature music....stage after that???). Other musicians never get out of the first stage. But those guys are too smart and fast for that, so I really fear they'll write one or two more albums and then....go over to producing, getting invisible...doing some obscure charity stuff...we will never hear anything from them again...:tears:

I am going to bed, otherwise I'll get totaly depressed. :teehee: GN

Old interview when they were The Management :teehee:

http://wesleyanargus.com/2004/04/13/weekly-wesceleb-the-management/

Ooh that's a good find! Thanks.

I bet their old college gigs were so funny. I love the videos on Youtube of some of them..the dinosaur mask etc..they really make me laugh.:naughty:

And oh my Andrew's lyrics...sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't...but even when I don't, they're still so beautiful. I listen to the crap they play on the radio sometimes and it doesn't even come remotely close to the stuff that Andrew and Ben write. I have so much respect for them.:wink2:

they could go on writing stuff like Kids, they just don't want to. That's what I find really cool about them.

Totally agree with you all, he is a really great lyricist. He can write story lyrics (TTP), funny lyrics (Brian Eno) and obscure or "lyrical" lyrics (Metanoia/SB) and seems equally at ease with any of those styles. I especially love the way you can find your own interpretation of some of his words, Siberian Breaks for example. And even when the lyrics sometimes tip over into nonsense or deliberate ironic weirdness (Metanoia springs to mind :naughty:), they still sound great.

Sometimes I am afraid, they will soon say they find that whole music business boring as well, cause they are moving too fast through all those stages (rockandroll, experiments with drugs, being stoned, a hipster...stage after all that, getting more mature, writing more mature music....stage after that???). Other musicians never get out of the first stage. But those guys are too smart and fast for that, so I really fear they'll write one or two more albums and then....go over to producing, getting invisible...doing some obscure charity stuff...we will never hear anything from them again...:tears:

I am going to bed, otherwise I'll get totaly depressed. :teehee: GN

I'm so glad someone else has this fear too! It always feels to me as if they might suddenly decide to quit music through boredom, and I can never put my finger on why I feel that way, but you've expressed it well: they are moving quite quickly through different styles and stages, like a speeded up version of a rock group's history, or so it seems.

I hope we're wrong :boxed::naughty:

I'm so glad someone else has this fear too! It always feels to me as if they might suddenly decide to quit music through boredom, and I can never put my finger on why I feel that way, but you've expressed it well: they are moving quite quickly through different styles and stages, like a speeded up version of a rock group's history, or so it seems.

I hope we're wrong :boxed::naughty:

Yeah, me too. But now we can at least be afraid together...:teehee:

Didn't something similar happen to Radiohead? I mean, I know they still write music, but they aren't very present otherwise, are they? Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, me too. But now we can at least be afraid together...:teehee:

Didn't something similar happen to Radiohead? I mean, I know they still write music, but they aren't very present otherwise, are they? Pls correct me if I am wrong.

I'm happy to tell you that Radiohead have an album coming out in a few months :biggrin2:. I hope they'll do a tour next year. But I kind of worry about them too, now, as they've been around for so long now and aren't getting any younger (:teehee: I should know, I'm the same age as them! lol). Although I think the last album was superb, so I know they still have a passion for making music.

As for MGMT, it's hard to predict what they'll do next, isn't it? I wonder what the next album will sound like?

You could go alone. I don't see why not. I'd rather go alone and love it than go with someone who doesn't care and ruins the mood.

I totally agree. Yes, we all know that they like to dabble in certain substances. But who cares? Really? If it helps them make the amazing music they do, then let it be. People who leave comments like that are just immature. You're right, they understand real humour. And oh my Andrew's lyrics...sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't...but even when I don't, they're still so beautiful. I listen to the crap they play on the radio sometimes and it doesn't even come remotely close to the stuff that Andrew and Ben write. I have so much respect for them.

yep you're right!!! i really hope i can go to their gig now:wub2:

hahaha sometimes i THINK i get the lyrics but maybe actually i don't :naughty: their lyrics are comprehensible when you read the lines seperately... but when the lines come together as a song, i don't think many people on earth know what they're actually refering to.

anyway, i always think i'm over-interpreting their stuffs coz they like to complain people for being too serious don't they?? :teehee:

Sometimes I am afraid, they will soon say they find that whole music business boring as well, cause they are moving too fast through all those stages (rockandroll, experiments with drugs, being stoned, a hipster...stage after all that, getting more mature, writing more mature music....stage after that???). Other musicians never get out of the first stage. But those guys are too smart and fast for that, so I really fear they'll write one or two more albums and then....go over to producing, getting invisible...doing some obscure charity stuff...we will never hear anything from them again...

I am going to bed, otherwise I'll get totaly depressed. GN

i still can't associate them with charify stuffs at the moment :aah: but well, i know they are generous good guys! :naughty:

but again you are right... they really have moved on fast, both music- and personality-wise. if you watch their interviews you can they're much less childish than before (i know this sounds silly but they look like real men now :roftl: )

oh btw did andrew say his castle dream is no longer here now????!! this upset me a little bit...............

Ooh that's a good find! Thanks.

I bet their old college gigs were so funny. I love the videos on Youtube of some of them..the dinosaur mask etc..they really make me laugh.

Totally agree with you all, he is a really great lyricist. He can write story lyrics (TTP), funny lyrics (Brian Eno) and obscure or "lyrical" lyrics (Metanoia/SB) and seems equally at ease with any of those styles. I especially love the way you can find your own interpretation of some of his words, Siberian Breaks for example. And even when the lyrics sometimes tip over into nonsense or deliberate ironic weirdness (Metanoia springs to mind ), they still sound great.

I hope we're wrong

actually some of their old college performance are really.... crappy :aah: this kinda proves what we have said about their great evolvement though.

as for the quiting part, i totally share your worreis!!!!!! that's why i'm so so so eager to go to their gig!!! who knows when the next time will be??? :crybaby:

and just read the Wesleyan interview again....

JL: Do you think that money and fame are corrupting the music industry?

BG: No, I think that money and fame are what allow the music industry to thrive.

AV: I think that money is the music industry.

JL: Is that the way that it should be?

AV: If you're trying to industrialize music.

BG: Yeah, I mean, money is the root of all evil, but it's also the root of creativity because most creativity is a reaction to how commercialized music is becoming.

AV: For a while me and Beno wanted to see if we could get immensely popular and then completely destroy our popularity and go back to college student level, but I don't think that's possible. Once we got all the money, we'd go get blow jobs and ride up to concerts on horses. [both laugh] And we wouldn't want to leave that life behind. And once we finished, you know, building the zoo in Russia. And put in a lot of animals…in cages…that's just ****ing wrong. [laughs]

BG: Yeah, what happens is you spend all that time collecting animals and then you treat them like property and you forget that they have feelings, too. [laughs]

jesusssss andrew's echoing us!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :boxed: hope as grown-ups they've given up this thought now.... :tears:

but i really love Beno's answer on money and fame. it's true!

have you guys seen this before??? :biggrin2:

45 Things I Learned from MGMT

1. I got the good stuff baby so I should flaunt it
  2. He wants to check out my components
  3. I should get against the wall
  4. I’m loved in glacial ways
  5. I’m gonna know if I keep on asking questions
  6. No one has to hear the sound of people laughing at my fear
  7. Love always remains
  8. There was blood in the backseat of my car
  9. Jason’s got the energy, he used to be a coke fiend
  10. I live life like everyone’s an enemy
  11. I’m fated to pretend
  12. Everything must run it’s course
  13. I don’t have to love or think too much
  14. I can amplify the sound and light and love
  15. I can flood the streets with love or light or heat whatever
  16. The world is for making electricity
  17. I should do what I feel now
  18. I should control myself and take only what I need
  19. I’m a shadow in the fourth dimension
  20. I don’t like revealing secrets
  21. Cold blooded claws never offer anything at all
  22. If the ship will never come I’ve got to move along
  23. The handshake’s stuck on the tip of my tongue
  24. I’ve convinced myself that I want it, but I don’t know
  25. If it’s good, or if it’s fortune, I can’t tell
  26. It’s working in my blood, which I know is not the same as love
  27. Love is only in my mind and not my heart
  28. To know when my time is up I flip the glass and watch the hours quickening
  29. There’s purple smoke in some internal shrine
  30. It feels like someone’s missing
  31. Tune it on, turn it in, and stay inert
  32. If I dance until the heart explodes it’ll make this place ignite
  33. I can stand by my pillar of hope
  34. Comfort keeps us nice
  35. I’ll never be as good as the Rolling Stones
  36. My earthbound heart is heavy
  37. I found a whistle that works all the time
  38. Real emotion’s such a drag
  39. If I’m conscious I must be depressed, or at least cynical
  40. The empty sky surrounds me but I can’t see at all
  41. If I was telling lies, it’d probably show
  42. I will always be one step behind him
  43. I don’t know Brian Eno
  44. I’d rather dissolve than have you ignore me
  45. All I need is a great big congratulations

:mf_lustslow:

Edited by huikings

I'm happy to tell you that Radiohead have an album coming out in a few months :biggrin2:. I hope they'll do a tour next year. But I kind of worry about them too, now, as they've been around for so long now and aren't getting any younger (:teehee: I should know, I'm the same age as them! lol). Although I think the last album was superb, so I know they still have a passion for making music.

As for MGMT, it's hard to predict what they'll do next, isn't it? I wonder what the next album will sound like?

Oh, that's cool!

I really don't have a clue what they'll do next! Very misterious guys. In the moment I just hope they are going to do a next album AT ALL! :blink::teehee:

anyway, i always think i'm over-interpreting their stuffs coz they like to complain people for being too serious don't they?? :teehee:

Yeah, but I think they are not that honest in that point: I have the feeling that they do have very good reasons for the music they do and really do lots of "thinking" about it, but for some reason they don't want pple to really know what they think and just enjoy the music. Perhaps it's like some sort of self-defence? You know like: "We don't want pple to REALLY know what we think and feel?" I don't mean that negative, I just think they are too gentle and sensitive to show all of it to the fans & want to keep some things private. I'm ok with that. One rare moment was I think in this brilliant interview that's also on UTube, where Andrew says: "That's what I think. I think love's the answer." I found that really moving, 'cause I had the feeling he really means it and it is his deepest conviction. What a sweet "hippie" thing to say & think. :-)

i still can't associate them with charify stuffs at the moment :aah: but well, i know they are generous good guys! :naughty:

but again you are right... they really have moved on fast, both music- and personality-wise. if you watch their interviews you can they're much less childish than before (i know this sounds silly but they look like real men now :roftl: )

oh btw did andrew say his castle dream is no longer here now????!! this upset me a little bit...............

as for the quiting part, i totally share your worreis!!!!!! that's why i'm so so so eager to go to their gig!!! who knows when the next time will be??? :crybaby:

jesusssss andrew's echoing us!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :boxed: hope as grown-ups they've given up this thought now....

Yeah, I mean they said they hate Bono and he does lots of charity, so I don't think they'll do something like that. :teehee:

But in the 2nd Q TV interview Andrew said something about them hoping to have "a long and fruitful music career", so I wouldn't worry that much about them disappearing soon! :biggrin2:

Edited by southeast

7. Love always remains
  11. I’m fated to pretend

:thumb_yello: Cool idea!

Edited by southeast

Oh, that's cool!

I really don't have a clue what they'll do next! Very misterious guys. In the moment I just hope they are going to do a next album AT ALL! :blink::teehee:

Yeah, but I think they are not that honest in that point: I have the feeling that they do have very good reasons for the music they do and really do lots of "thinking" about it, but for some reason they don't want pple to really know what they think and just enjoy the music. Perhaps it's like some sort of self-defence? You know like: "We don't want pple to REALLY know what we think and feel?" I don't mean that negative, I just think they are too gentle and sensitive to show all of it to the fans & want to keep some things private. I'm ok with that. One rare moment was I think in this brilliant interview that's also on UTube, where Andrew says: "That's what I think. I think love's the answer." I found that really moving, 'cause I had the feeling he really means it and it is his deepest conviction. What a sweet "hippie" thing to say & think. :-)

Yeah, I mean they said they hate Bono and he does lots of charity, so I don't think they'll do something like that. :teehee:

But in the 2nd Q TV interview Andrew said something about them hoping to have "a long and fruitful music career", so I wouldn't worry that much about them disappearing soon! :biggrin2:

i know what you mean! and i'm kind of this type of person too-- or put it this way, i think everyone has the moments at which you wanna keep something just to yourself. and from a musician's point of view, having people study your works seriously is always something great coz it means you really have some influence over the others.

andrew looks like an angel in that interview!!! that vid is so beautifully filmed. the shots and the environment were simply perfect. love always remains... the sun and the ocean are always there :blush-anim-cl:

suddenly i tryna picture what they'll be like when they become middle-aged men... :aah:

jesusssss andrew's echoing us!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :boxed: hope as grown-ups they've given up this thought now.... :tears:

Aha yes, I picked up on that quote too, and I actually think they have done that in a sense (got really famous and then knocked themselves down again to a more cult level) by the way they approached the second album.

If that makes sense...sorry, I am about to go to bed, it's late :roftl:.

7. Love always remains
  11. I’m fated to pretend

I love that :naughty:

And of course:

46. That they care.

47. That they don't care.

suddenly i tryna picture what they'll be like when they become middle-aged men... :aah:

OMG :boxed: By that time I will be ANCIENT!!! :roftl: I'll probably still find them kinda cute though :teehee:. In fact I know I will :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by Gatagordinha

"They were intelligent, engaging, respectful, humorous and quirky......" :shocked::tears: Why weren't it meeeeee in this bar! Life is so unfair!

:roftl:

Ehm.....what do you think those two were doing there in the dark? Drugs? I am afraid I am too naive for this world. :doh:

Edited by southeast

I love that :

And of course:

46. That they care.

47. That they don't care.

OMG :boxed: By that time I will be ANCIENT!!! I'll probably still find them kinda cute though :teehee:. In fact I know I will

i think we can continue the list down to 100...200....300..... :naughty:

we're all obsessed with their lyrics here aren't we??? :mf_lustslow:

hahaha you will be cute too don't worry dear:teehee:

"They were intelligent, engaging, respectful, humorous and quirky......" :tears: Why weren't it meeeeee in this bar! Life is so unfair!

Ehm.....what do you think those two were doing there in the dark? Drugs? I am afraid I am too naive for this world. :doh:

thanks for the link vanessa!!! but what? andrew approached them in the bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrr :sneaky2:

actually if i were one of these lucky people, i'd probably have lost my ability to speak already when i saw them :aah:

and drugs? i guess so........... 2 young men wouldn't have other things to do in a dark carpark esp. we all know they are not on the bent side:mf_rosetinted:

i think we can continue the list down to 100...200....300..... :naughty:

we're all obsessed with their lyrics here aren't we??? :mf_lustslow:

hahaha you will be cute too don't worry dear:teehee:

thanks for the link vanessa!!! but what? andrew approached them in the bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrr :sneaky2:

actually if i were one of these lucky people, i'd probably have lost my ability to speak already when i saw them :aah:

and drugs? i guess so........... 2 young men wouldn't have other things to do in a dark carpark esp. we all know they are not on the bent side:mf_rosetinted:

Perhaps they needed to pee and didn't find the toilets. :mf_rosetinted:

Hey, Vampire Weekend are doing a gig in November here, I wonder if I should go... Have you girls listened to them? I know them only from UTube & I quite like some of their songs, but I still am not sure... :dunno:

Edited by southeast

"They were intelligent, engaging, respectful, humorous and quirky......" :shocked::tears: Why weren't it meeeeee in this bar! Life is so unfair!

:roftl:

Yes what else did you expect from them to do ?:mf_rosetinted:

And you should go to the Vampire Weekend gig !I love them .I've heard they're brilliant live:teehee: .

Yes what else did you expect from them to do ?:mf_rosetinted:

And you should go to the Vampire Weekend gig !I love them .I've heard they're brilliant live:teehee: .

Hahaha, why else would they be sneaking around in the dark?:naughty:

You were thinking Vampire Weekend? I've also heard good reviews of their live sets. You should go. :biggrin2:

Hahaha, why else would they be sneaking around in the dark?:naughty:

You were thinking Vampire Weekend? I've also heard good reviews of their live sets. You should go. :biggrin2:

Feeding drugs to some random dog :roftl:

You can also have a chance to meet them .They also do M&Gs .:teehee:

Feeding drugs to some random dog :roftl:

You can also have a chance to meet them .They also do M&Gs .:teehee:

Hahaha I wouldn't be surprised, honestly. :lmao:

Ooh really? I don't know when/if they're coming to California again. I'll have to look into it. I just bought Owen Pallett tickets today for six days after I see MGMT again, so I've got a few concerts already to look forward to. :biggrin2:

Scratch that. They'll be in LA in two weeks. But it's at the Hollywood Bowl, which is huge, and I prefer smaller venues. Plus, I'd probably get awful seats this late in the game...

Edited by lollipopgirl83

Hahaha I wouldn't be surprised, honestly. :lmao:

Ooh really? I don't know when/if they're coming to California again. I'll have to look into it. I just bought Owen Pallett tickets today for six days after I see MGMT again, so I've got a few concerts already to look forward to. :biggrin2:

Scratch that. They'll be in LA in two weeks. But it's at the Hollywood Bowl, which is huge, and I prefer smaller venues. Plus, I'd probably get awful seats this late in the game...

Everybody's coming to California! :roftl:

I was just panicking because I thought about am I going to to AFTER the mgmt gig? No gigs till 2011. :aah: Then I saw VW coming....three weeks BEFORE mgmt....so that's no solution for my problem...:teehee: But I think I still am going to the gig. Just can't resist. :naughty:

Everybody's coming to California! :roftl:

I was just panicking because I thought about am I going to to AFTER the mgmt gig? No gigs till 2011. :aah: Then I saw VW coming....three weeks BEFORE mgmt....so that's no solution for my problem...:teehee: But I think I still am going to the gig. Just can't resist. :naughty:

California is a great location for live music. I'm happy I ended up here. All thanks to my dad's job moving us here.

But anyway...yes, you want to avoid the whole post-gig depression (which is the absolute worst)...it's so hard to fix that. We'll be here for you though.:thumb_yello:

And go the VW gig anyways. Why not?:naughty: