It was great wasn't it? I managed to see it all. My son (he's 8) watched most of it with me too and he LOVED it, he kept saying "this is better than the CD Mum!" and asking me all about the band, what instruments they play, etc, it was lovely!

They sounded fantastic. Loved the ending of Brian Eno. It was weird, knowing that exactly a week ago I was watching them in person, and talking to Andrew :wub2:.

I was annoyed how little they showed of Ben, too :sneaky2:. FFS, he is half of the band!!!! And utterly essential and irreplaceable. I confess that last week at the gig I kept shouting out 'We love you Ben!!" when things went quiet :aah:, I wanted him to hear and realise he is loved :biggrin2:. I was quite gutted that we didn't get to see him after the gig.

Oh, how sweet of your son! I always find it cool when kids like the music their parents are listening to. Perhaps one day he'll be a Indie Rokker too and when asked about it he'll say, well my mum listened to MGMT, Violence...

They were great. I could listen to hours and hours and hours of them... And you know what? It almost irritated me that they played "old" songs from OS. I almost wanted them to play only "Congratulations"... :blink: No, that's not right. I was irritated by Kids and E Feel and Time to Pretend. I only wanted them to play the "real" MGMT songs, like "Youth" and "4th DT" and the new ones... I must confess that Of BT&M never was one of my favorite songs, but last night it was one of the best! It sounded so great live. Amazing. Also "The Youth". I could have cried listening to it...

I know it'll never happen, but it would be cool if they could make one gig only with Congratulation songs... it would be like some kind of trance.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, how sweet of your son! I always find it cool when kids like the music their parents are listening to. Perhaps one day he'll be a Indie Rokker too and when asked about it he'll say, well my mum listened to MGMT, Violence...

They were great. I could listen to hours and hours and hours of them... And you know what? It almost irritated me that they played "old" songs from OS. I almost wanted them to play only "Congratulations"... :blink: No, that's not right. I was irritated by Kids and E Feel and Time to Pretend. I only wanted them to play the "real" MGMT songs, like "Youth" and "4th DT" and the new ones... I must confess that Of BT&M never was one of my favorite songs, but last night it was one of the best! It sounded so great live. Amazing. Also "The Youth". I could have cried listening to it...

I know it'll never happen, but it would be cool if they could make one gig only with Congratulation songs... it would be like some kind of trance.

My son, in fact both my kids, are massive fans of the Beatles. Proper fans, by which I mean they love The White Album :roftl:. My son also really likes Radiohead and Kraftwerk :naughty:, and they both like MGMT. I hope they'll grow up with diverse musical taste, although I expect at some point they'll rebel against the music we've brought them up on, as all teenagers do :teehee:.

I totally agree with you about a live version of Congratulations! It would be :rasta::groovy::insane: They should play it in the album order too, as it flows so well. I do really love Kids and TTP and EF but (and this is hard to explain) somehow they sound to me like a different MGMT, as if they are two different bands: one who do Kids, and get the masses up dancing, and one who do for example 4th Dimensional Transition or Siberian Breaks and put us more discerning (yes, I will say that :mf_rosetinted::naughty:) fans into a trance, where we don't want to dance, we just want to listen and soak it up. Does that make sense?

I think I did say in my gig report that as much as I love 'the hits', it annoyed me that I felt a significant percentage of the audience were only really there for those three songs. But I guess that happens with a lot of bands/artists. Even with Mika to a large extent :wink2:.

My son, in fact both my kids, are massive fans of the Beatles. Proper fans, by which I mean they love The White Album :roftl:. My son also really likes Radiohead and Kraftwerk :naughty:, and they both like MGMT. I hope they'll grow up with diverse musical taste, although I expect at some point they'll rebel against the music we've brought them up on, as all teenagers do :teehee:.

I totally agree with you about a live version of Congratulations! It would be :rasta::groovy::insane:They should play it in the album order too, as it flows so well. I do really love Kids and TTP and EF but (and this is hard to explain) somehow they sound to me like a different MGMT, as if they are two different bands: one who do Kids, and get the masses up dancing, and one who do for example 4th Dimensional Transition or Siberian Breaks and put us more discerning (yes, I will say that :mf_rosetinted::naughty:) fans into a trance, where we don't want to dance, we just want to listen and soak it up. Does that make sense?

I think I did say in my gig report that as much as I love 'the hits', it annoyed me that I felt a significant percentage of the audience were only really there for those three songs. But I guess that happens with a lot of bands/artists. Even with Mika to a large extent :wink2:.

Yes, yes, yes it absolutely does!!! Without any pauses btw. songs would be cool. Even if I love to hear Andrew's voice...

And at the entrance of the gig:

"Caution! :ghostrider_h4h: Scary! MGMT play Siberian Breaks tonight! No KIDS! Only for hardcore fans!" :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by southeast

Hey!! How are you girls doing?? I was busy with my college work this past weekend and in order to stop my horrible addiction to the Internet, I made a silly pledge that if I still went on any social-networking sites (which somehow included the MFC :teehee:), I would forever lose my chances to see MGMT live. Yes, real silly. But I didn't break my vow so hopefully i can go to one of the later gigs :roftl:

Gosh, seems I've missed so much stuffs! Just skimmed throught the last few pages... the VEVO vid still not available outside the US right? Damn it :sneaky2:

And the livestream!!! I missed it too!! :tears: (Despite the fact that even though I was not occupied by work, the time of streaming would be weird to me like 4-5a.m.:boxed:) Are there any ways to watch it back??

:aah: This is SO cool indeed. I could imagine that :roftl:

And Rachel, I think your kids have good taste of music already!! :thumb_yello: Do they play any instruments?

Did you read this?

The NME article on MGMT: http://bit.ly/a2XCvB , http://bit.ly/cfh7hH , and http://bit.ly/bOWbDo (pgs 1, 2, and 3, respectfully)

What do you think of it.

And yeeees they are thinking of doing a live show that's "even trippier and further-out" than this one! That would be great. Lots of space for us in the first row....:roftl:

Did you read this?

The NME article on MGMT: http://bit.ly/a2XCvB , http://bit.ly/cfh7hH , and http://bit.ly/bOWbDo (pgs 1, 2, and 3, respectfully)

What do you think of it.

And yeeees they are thinking of doing a live show that's "even trippier and further-out" than this one! That would be great. Lots of space for us in the first row....:roftl:

Great interview in my opinion. All the stuff they said about Congratulations is so incredibly true. I too have been saying that people who think it's "so different and out of leftfield" make no sense. Did they listen to OS? The whole thing? Did they hear OMB&M or The Handshake?

And OH MY if they did a trippier show than the one they do now...I would probably die of happiness. Their show is trippy enough as it is. Cut out all the "dance" songs and just play Siberian Breaks for half an hour, then The Handshake for half an hour and then just make some noise. That would be the best show in my opinion.

:lmfao:

Yeah...the front row would be pretty empty...it would be like a private show...if only...

I liked the NME article too. I hadn't read it before this afternoon, so I'm pleased to see that what I was saying in my post earlier about me feeling like there are two MGMTs seems to be what Ben and Andrew themselves are thinking - and no doubt many serious fans too!

The idea of two different kinds of show is just :roftl:. Brilliant. I'd go to both and enjoy both equally, on totally different levels. Is it any wonder the media can't get a handle on MGMT, if they admit themselves they have a split personality as a band and a concept? :naughty:. But to me it's what makes them so interesting. :biggrin2:

As for Congratulations, yeah, what they say is so true. Part of me wishes sometimes they would not take the piss so much and risk being massively misquoted, but on the other hand I love their attitude, and why should they rein in the bulls*** just to please the likes of the NME?? :teehee:

And the livestream!!! I missed it too!! :tears: (Despite the fact that even though I was not occupied by work, the time of streaming would be weird to me like 4-5a.m.:boxed:) Are there any ways to watch it back??

I don't think you can watch it back. I haven't seen anything yet on the forum about recordings :dunno:

There is another one on Friday I think, from Paris, starting at 9pm Paris time, but I don't know any more details. The time difference makes it very difficult for you though doesn't it :blink:.

And Rachel, I think your kids have good taste of music already!! :thumb_yello: Do they play any instruments?

Son is getting a drumkit for Christmas..he shows promise, and I'm proud of that and want to encourage him, but.... MY POOR EARS :aah: Daughter is self-teaching guitar (acoustic and electric) and having keyboard tuition.

Just saw this on bbc's website. Is it from the interview on radio 6 that some of you posted??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/11467565

They admit they have started talking about writing new material, but that they'll concentrate properly on it in "January or February" next year.

VanWyndgarden hinted that they could return to writing more 'big hits' such as Kids and Time To Pretend from their first album. They initially planned not to release any singles from their second album.

"I think playing all over the show you want a track you can play all over the world and just be mindless and the crowd goes crazy.

"We have a couple of them but it would be nice to have more," he said.

Sarcasm?? :shocked::blink:

There is another one on Friday I think, from Paris, starting at 9pm Paris time, but I don't know any more details. The time difference makes it very difficult for you though doesn't it :blink:.

Son is getting a drumkit for Christmas..he shows promise, and I'm proud of that and want to encourage him, but.... MY POOR EARS :aah: Daughter is self-teaching guitar (acoustic and electric) and having keyboard tuition.

Yes... difficult indeed, even though I always stay up late till 2-3am :mf_rosetinted:

Wow, good for them!! Your kids can form a band themselves :roftl:

I haven't read the NME interview yet (foreign mags need a week to be here:sneaky2:) But it seems NME genuinely like them... I really love the last interview which they were on the cover of that issue. Andrew said something like "I don't understand why I had written a song about a silly eel" :teehee:

Wish I had bought that issue.

Edited by huikings

They admit they have started talking about writing new material, but that they'll concentrate properly on it in "January or February" next year.

VanWyndgarden hinted that they could return to writing more 'big hits' such as Kids and Time To Pretend from their first album. They initially planned not to release any singles from their second album.

"I think playing all over the show you want a track you can play all over the world and just be mindless and the crowd goes crazy.

"We have a couple of them but it would be nice to have more," he said.

Sarcasm?? :shocked::blink:

Hahaha. This sound a bit arrogant, doesn't it? Like they already know exactly what's going to work and what not. And sorting out their songs: Ok, this one's for the dancing dudes and this one's for the psychodelic ones...

I am so happy to be going to the gig in December, but I really wish I could take you girls with me. I have someone to go with me, but he's not so much in MGMT as I am and it would be more fun to go with you, because you'll know what I am talking about...ah, well, one can't have everything...

Hey, I found this very very old article. I like it somehow. And it shows they haven't changed at least in the last years, which is good! And they have a four record deal with Columbia. This means 2 more albums at least! Yay!

http://www.venuszine.com/articles/music/features/2623/MGMT

Edited by southeast

I am so happy to be going to the gig in December, but I really wish I could take you girls with me. I have someone to go with me, but he's not so much in MGMT as I am and it would be more fun to go with you, because you'll know what I am talking about...ah, well, one can't have everything...

Hey, I found this very very old article. I like it somehow. And it shows they haven't changed at least in the last years, which is good! And they have a four record deal with Columbia. This means 2 more albums at least! Yay!

http://www.venuszine.com/articles/music/features/2623/MGMT

Awwwww :huglove: IF I could, I would definitely fly all the way to Munich to go with you!!! IF the gig is held later, say mid-late Dec, I had a great chance to do so... sigh.... :no:

Thanks for the interview! Mystic Bull****:roftl: Yes, the dudes are more mature now but they hvn't really changed at all :wub2:

In 2006, friends of Goldwasser and Vanwyngarden at NYU formed the record label Cantora Records to produce MGMT’s short catalog of songs onto an EP.

I didn't know that Cantora Records was set up by their friends!:blink: May I ask who produced Climbing To New Lows then? Also by Cantora??

I didn't know that Cantora Records was set up by their friends!:blink: May I ask who produced Climbing To New Lows then? Also by Cantora??

I think so, yes.

It'd be great if we could all go to a gig together (and sing along to Siberian Breaks :naughty:).

My new favorite picture

rsteviemooremgmt.jpg

I love that :roftl: Who is the beardy dude?? :teehee:

It's just begging for a caption, but I can't think of one!!

btw, did anyone else see Bruce's tweets this evening? :roftl:

It'd be great if we could all go to a gig together (and sing along to Siberian Breaks :naughty:).

YES YES YES.

All of us in the front row singing along to Siberian Breaks, and encouraging them to sing all the Congratulations songs. They'd love us, and then bring us all onstage to sing backing vocals with them on songs like Brian Eno :naughty:

I remember at the show I went to, someone next to me yelled "Play Kids!" And I turned to him and just said, "No." Because at that point, we had no idea if they would. It was their first full set since Coachella where they DIDN'T play it...and I didn't want them to play it...but they did, and it was amusing to watch in the end.

:thumb_yello:

I love that :roftl: Who is the beardy dude?? :teehee:

It's just begging for a caption, but I can't think of one!!

The new background singer. :mf_rosetinted:

No, I don't have an idea. Will look it up on tumblr.

btw, did anyone else see Bruce's tweets this evening? :roftl:

Yeah, he's one funny man! #imgonnaboreyoutodeathbitches

It's a pity I can never thing of anything witty to answer in that very moment. All the great answers always come to my mind few days later :doh:

Edited by southeast

Saw them live yesterday, they were really great.:biggrin2: Their guitarist was VERY stoned :P

Hihi, that's why he said it was the best evening of his life. At least I heard that on Twitter. IF you saw them in Amsterdam. The Amsterdam show must have really been amazing. I mean, they are always amazing, but this one evening must have been WOW. :shocked: And now we know why.... :doh:

YES YES YES.

All of us in the front row singing along to Siberian Breaks, and encouraging them to sing all the Congratulations songs. They'd love us, and then bring us all onstage to sing backing vocals with them on songs like Brian Eno :naughty:

I remember at the show I went to, someone next to me yelled "Play Kids!" And I turned to him and just said, "No." Because at that point, we had no idea if they would. It was their first full set since Coachella where they DIDN'T play it...and I didn't want them to play it...but they did, and it was amusing to watch in the end.

And right after that we will drop dead cause it can't get any better and go directly to MGMT heaven. :wub2:

But we must all be wearing matching sexy black outfits with high heels. :mf_rosetinted:

Yeah, at the live show from Brussels they played Kids and at first I was like: Noooooo, poor guys. But then, Ben came out behind of keyboards :shocked: and went to the first row and ....how do you call that in Englisch? :blink: touched hands with the audience and they both somehow seemed to have fun doing it, although they really can't dance :teehee: so I was...ok....wouldn't have anything against Kids if I were in that first row...

Edited by southeast

YES YES YES.

Great! I always wanna (sometime I do) shout the "'CAUSE I DON'T KNOW!! BRIAN!! ENO!!!" bit whenever I listen to this song :aah: would think of their SNL performance in the meantime too. It's really a classic isn't it? :teehee:

Yeah, at the live show from Brussels they played Kids and at first I was like: Noooooo, poor guys. But then, Ben came out behind of keyboards :shocked: and went to the first row and ....how do you call that in Englisch? :blink: touched hands with the audience and they both somehow seemed to have fun doing it, although they really can't dance :teehee: so I was...ok....wouldn't have anything against Kids if I were in that first row...

You mean he "high5-ed" the front row audience right? I think lolli mentions this in her huge report as well. They just have a "who f*cking cares" attitude towards Kids :naughty:

Btw if you click the link which Vanessa posted, you'd see the beardy guy's R. Steeve Moore, an American musician.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Stevie_Moore

The two other pics!

mgmt-r-stevie-moore.jpg

r-stevie-moore-mgmt-1.jpg

I don't know but I think James' having a sexy face here :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by huikings

:roftl I can believe it! Was it in Amsterdam by any chance?? :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

Yeah, it was :teehee:

Hihi, that's why he said it was the best evening of his life. At least I heard that on Twitter. IF you saw them in Amsterdam. The Amsterdam show must have really been amazing. I mean, they are always amazing, but this one evening must have been WOW. :shocked: And now we know why.... :doh:

Idd. :naughty: Andrew said they loved playing in Amsterdam (most bands do, all because of the same reason :aah:)

And right after that we will drop dead cause it can't get any better and go directly to MGMT heaven. :wub2:

But we must all be wearing matching sexy black outfits with high heels. :mf_rosetinted:

You were at Brussels? Did they also play Indie Rokkers there?

Yeah, it was :teehee:

Idd. :naughty: Andrew said they loved playing in Amsterdam (most bands do, all because of the same reason :aah:)

:naughty: For them it must be like some kind of paradise...

You were at Brussels? Did they also play Indie Rokkers there?

No, I watched it on a live stream in Internet. :no: But I have tics for December! Looking forward to that!

They didn't play Indie Rokkers at Brussels, they played Destrokk and Sib. Breaks. I suppose it would be too much for the fans to play both.

I actually wonder why they don't play Love always remains? PPle would love it. Personally I would die to hear Boogie Down live, but I am not sure they can make this on stage. :dunno:

Oh but of course. :teehee:

Great! I always wanna (sometime I do) shout the "'CAUSE I DON'T KNOW!! BRIAN!! ENO!!!" bit whenever I listen to this song :aah: would think of their SNL performance in the meantime too. It's really a classic isn't it? :teehee:

You mean he "high5-ed" the front row audience right? I think lolli mentions this in her huge report as well. They just have a "who f*cking cares" attitude towards Kids :naughty:

Same here! I always sing along, no matter how off key I sound. I love the end of their SNL performance when James rubs his guitar on the keyboards and Ben is jumping around just hitting random keys.:aah:

And yeah. The first night they played Kids, Andrew gave high fives, but Ben didn't. And the second night, Andrew went crowd surfing, while everyone else just did whatever. I saw James sitting on a speaker drinking a beer at one point. They don't care. :naughty:

:naughty: For them it must be like some kind of paradise...

I can only imagine. Well, they'll have fun at their California show. Did you see what the whole point of the festival is?:naughty:

They didn't play Indie Rokkers at Brussels, they played Destrokk and Sib. Breaks. I suppose it would be too much for the fans to play both.

I actually wonder why they don't play Love always remains? PPle would love it. Personally I would die to hear Boogie Down live, but I am not sure they can make this on stage. :dunno:

They played all three at Manchester :woot_jump:

I'd love to hear Love Always Remains too, but I think a live version would have to be so different. The vocal harmonies might be a bit too much. :teehee: I reckon Boogie Down would be easier. Anyway I just want to hear Andrew sing 'I wanna check out your components' :das:.