• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And yeah. The first night they played Kids, Andrew gave high fives, but Ben didn't. And the second night, Andrew went crowd surfing, while everyone else just did whatever. I saw James sitting on a speaker drinking a beer at one point. They don't care. :naughty:

I can only imagine. Well, they'll have fun at their California show. Did you see what the whole point of the festival is?:naughty:

"We don't care" :teehee: I tried to buy the album, but it's not available anymore :no:.

What's up with that festival in California? I don't know anything about it. :blink:

They played all three at Manchester :woot_jump:

I'd love to hear Love Always Remains too, but I think a live version would have to be so different. The vocal harmonies might be a bit too much. :teehee: I reckon Boogie Down would be easier. Anyway I just want to hear Andrew sing 'I wanna check out your components' :das:.

Oh, you lucky woman!

Yes, I agree, I would love to hear/see that too....:naughty:

Btw. it just dawned on me that they are singing a bit of German in Flash Delirium! :shocked:

"die wolken drifting blinding smiles circling (einkreisen)"

means

"the clouds drifting blinding smiles circling (encircle)"

Huh?

EDIT: Have you girls ever read this?

http://www.memphisflyer.com/TheBruceVBlog/archives/2010/04/25/live-its-saturday-night

He's such a great guy.

Edited by southeast

I'd love to hear Love Always Remains too, but I think a live version would have to be so different. The vocal harmonies might be a bit too much. :teehee: I reckon Boogie Down would be easier. Anyway I just want to hear Andrew sing 'I wanna check out your components' :das:.

I LOVE LOVE Love Always Remains!!! It gives me strength :wub2: But somehow I think they themselves would categorise it as one of the karaoke songs they made during college times?? :blink:

Tell us something about the gig. Did you like it? Which song did impress you most? How was the crowd? How was queueing? You know, the usual stuff. :teehee:

THIS is for practical purpose :teehee:

Btw. it just dawned on me that they are singing a bit of German in Flash Delirium! :shocked:

"die wolken drifting blinding smiles circling (einkreisen)"

means

"the clouds drifting blinding smiles circling (encircle)"

Huh?

EDIT: Have you girls ever read this?

http://www.memphisflyer.com/TheBruceVBlog/archives/2010/04/25/live-its-saturday-night

He's such a great guy.

Oh I can guess those are German, but was too lazy to look up the meaning :naughty: so "drifting blinding smiles circling" are exactly the same in German and English? :shocked: Or it's them who only mixed three words in it? :roftl:

Yeah, read it before! He is a fandad pretending he is not :mf_rosetinted: I think somewhere in his blog there's the Andrew-on-skating-board picture too! Have you seen it?

wow...Rach you gotta get that mag!! :naughty:

:bow: THAT KIMONO LOOK!!! A bigger version would be PERFECT!!!

But no, I'm sorry I can't help 'causee I ain't Japanese! I know nothing about that language :aah: Only understand some of the Chinese-adapted words on it like "expereince" "this year" "challenge" :roftl:

Btw the MGMT's PICK OF PSYCHEDELIA for Q mag September issue:

Funkadelic- Maggot Brain

Spacemen 3- How Does It Feel

Syd Barrett- Opel

Harry Nilsson- Jump Into The Fire

Skip Spence- Broken Heart

Alice Coltrane- Journey In Satchidananda

Giacinto Scelsi- Anahit

The Beach Boys- A Day In The Life Of A Tree

Disco Inferno- It's A Kid's World

Television Personalities- The Painted Word

I'm checking out these on youtube now. Frankly haven't heard of any of them before and I don't think I can get the Spacemen 3's song :blink: But love The Beach Boys' one!!!

Edited by huikings

What's up with that festival in California? I don't know anything about it. :blink:

http://smokeoutfestival.com/

:fisch::naughty:

They'll enjoy themselves for sure.

Btw the MGMT's PICK OF PSYCHEDELIA for Q mag September issue:

Funkadelic- Maggot Brain

Spacemen 3- How Does It Feel

Syd Barrett- Opel

Harry Nilsson- Jump Into The Fire

Skip Spence- Broken Heart

Alice Coltrane- Journey In Satchidananda

Giacinto Scelsi- Anahit

The Beach Boys- A Day In The Life Of A Tree

Disco Inferno- It's A Kid's World

Television Personalities- The Painted Word

I'm checking out these on youtube now. Frankly haven't heard of any of them before and I don't think I can get the Spacemen 3's song :teehee: But love The Beach Boys' one!!!

Yeah I've seen that! I've already downloaded/ripped those songs from Youtube. MGMT honestly introduces me to so much new music. The Disco Inferno song is great and the Spacemen 3 song is TRIPPY.

Tell us something about the gig. Did you like it? Which song did impress you most? How was the crowd? How was queueing? You know, the usual stuff. :teehee:

Actually, we didn't queue at all! We could just walk to the front, and we weren't ridiculously early there, so that was quite nice.

I really liked the gig, they played very well (but otherwise I wouldn't have bought tickets to see them, I always check if the band is good live before I go to see them). They played Siberian Breaks, Indie Rokkers and Destrokk here too, so that was a very nice surprise.:biggrin2: I really liked the new songs live too, especially Siberian Breaks and Congratulations, with which they opened. And The Handshake was also very beautiful.:wub2: The projections on the screen reminded me a bit of the projections of Montreal used, only a bit less extravagant.:naughty: The crowd was a bit boring, but after a while they got into it (or maybe it was the alcohol :naughty:). But we did a bit of jumping, which is always good. :aah:

I was really surprised that Andrew has such a high voice when he's talking. I thought he looked very shy..

Full setlist is here.

Actually, we didn't queue at all! We could just walk to the front, and we weren't ridiculously early there, so that was quite nice.

I really liked the gig, they played very well (but otherwise I wouldn't have bought tickets to see them, I always check if the band is good live before I go to see them). They played Siberian Breaks, Indie Rokkers and Destrokk here too, so that was a very nice surprise.:biggrin2: I really liked the new songs live too, especially Siberian Breaks and Congratulations, with which they opened. And The Handshake was also very beautiful.:wub2: The projections on the screen reminded me a bit of the projections of Montreal used, only a bit less extravagant.:naughty: The crowd was a bit boring, but after a while they got into it (or maybe it was the alcohol :naughty:). But we did a bit of jumping, which is always good. :aah:

I was really surprised that Andrew has such a high voice when he's talking. I thought he looked very shy..

Full setlist is here.

Oh, thank you so much!

I hope we don't have to queue too - hate it, especially in winter!

I would love to hear those songs live - really hope they'll play them.

About being shy: Andrew said in an interview they aren't the natural born performers, they prefer recording much more to performing and added: "Ben never talks on stage". To which Ben said: "No" & and looked very embarrassed. :roftl: Funny, if you compare them to Mika, then he's not shy AT ALL! Or perhaps they are shy on stage (as I would be) and not shy in the real life? Anyway that's why some of us here are afraid that sooner or later they'll stop performing and switch to producing only. I pray to God they continue performing till they look like Methusalix. :teehee:

Edited by southeast

Oh, thank you so much!

I hope we don't have to queue too - hate it, especially in winter!

I would love to hear those songs live - really hope they'll play them.

About being shy: Andrew said in an interview they aren't the natural born performers, they prefer recording much more to performing and added: "Ben never talks on stage". To which Ben said: "No" & and looked very embarrassed. :roftl: Funny, if you compare them to Mika, then he's not shy AT ALL! Or perhaps they are shy on stage (as I would be) and not shy in the real life? Anyway that's why some of us here are afraid that sooner or later they'll stop performing and switch to producing only. I pray to God they continue performing till they look like Methusalix. :teehee:

I hope so too, queuing in the winter is no fun at all.

Maybe they'll keep about the same setlist when they see it works for them and the crowd too...

Haha, well Ben didn't say a lot indeed. Only 'thanks' or something. :aah:

Oh, I really hope they don't stop performing and become like The Beatles, who couldn't play their songs live because they were too complicated.

Have you seen them live before, or is this going to be the first time (like me)?

I hope so too, queuing in the winter is no fun at all.

Maybe they'll keep about the same setlist when they see it works for them and the crowd too...

Haha, well Ben didn't say a lot indeed. Only 'thanks' or something. :aah:

Oh, I really hope they don't stop performing and become like The Beatles, who couldn't play their songs live because they were too complicated.

Have you seen them live before, or is this going to be the first time (like me)?

No, it would be the first time, I just discovered their music this spring, so I was soooo happy to see they are doing a gig in Munich 6 months later. :boing:

But I have watched lots of vids on UTube and the live stream from Brussels was great. Oh, there also is an video of an old gig in Paris, on Arte. They perform Metanoia there. Amazing. I'll try to find & post the link here.

EDIT: Here's the link! Enjoy: http://www.arte.tv/fr/Videos-sur-ARTE-TV/2151166,CmC=2316348.html

Anyways, I hope to get a good place in the audience, but I don't think I'll ever get as good look on Andrew's face live as watching those vids. :teehee:

Edited by southeast

Mgmt and Jorge from Violens in Magic mag :teehee:

I wish I could read the article.

I really want to read that article too!! I love Jorge :wub2::das:

Do you have scans which show the whole article?

I really liked the gig, they played very well (but otherwise I wouldn't have bought tickets to see them, I always check if the band is good live before I go to see them). They played Siberian Breaks, Indie Rokkers and Destrokk here too, so that was a very nice surprise.I really liked the new songs live too, especially Siberian Breaks and Congratulations, with which they opened. And The Handshake was also very beautiful. The projections on the screen reminded me a bit of the projections of Montreal used, only a bit less extravagant.:naughty: The crowd was a bit boring, but after a while they got into it (or maybe it was the alcohol :naughty:). But we did a bit of jumping, which is always good.

This all sounds very much like my own experience in Manchester.:thumb_yello: If we'd queued just half an hour earlier than we did (which was pretty late!) we would probably have got front row. It was quite relaxed. As it was, though, we went to Mcdonalds instead..:naughty:

When Karen and I met Andrew afterwards we also thought his speaking voice was quite high pitched. And yes, he comes across as a little bit shy. Don't know how to really explain this but he has a lovely aura about him..very 'soft' for want of a better word :blink:. He kind of projects lovely soft vibes.

About being shy: Andrew said in an interview they aren't the natural born performers, they prefer recording much more to performing and added: "Ben never talks on stage". To which Ben said: "No" & and looked very embarrassed. :roftl: .

Ben's so fascinating to watch on stage though!! I had a great view of him, and spent a lot of my time watching him. He didn't speak except for when he was commenting on the infamous beer-throwing-at-Will-incident (which can be heard clearly at the end of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS3GxhMwvbw). But after nearly every song he would walk to the edge of the stage and have a little chat with the roadie who sets up his equipment (aside: he was cute :teehee:) and I couldn't decide if he was having technical problems or just having a chat :naughty:. He smiled a lot anyway and seemed to be drinking beer during the set. Did I mention I love Ben?:mf_rosetinted:

But I have watched lots of vids on UTube and the live stream from Brussels was great. Oh, there also is an video of an old gig in Paris, on Arte. They perform Metanoia there. Amazing. I'll try to find & post the link here.

EDIT: Here's the link! Enjoy: http://www.arte.tv/fr/Videos-sur-ARTE-TV/2151166,CmC=2316348.html

Anyways, I hope to get a good place in the audience, but I don't think I'll ever get as good look on Andrew's face live as watching those vids. :teehee:

I used to have another link( I wish I could have founded it bu it seems it is in vain) to a whole gig performance they did in Amsterdam in 2008 and they also sang Metanoia there and Electric feel sounded amazing too .

No I wish and it is in French as i can see from the small article.

Aw shame. I do speak French so that wouldn't be a problem, but without the full article it's a bit pointless. Never mind. It's probably the same old stuff anyway :naughty:.

Violens seem to be quite popular in France.

Aw shame. I do speak French so that wouldn't be a problem, but without the full article it's a bit pointless. Never mind. It's probably the same old stuff anyway :naughty:.

Violens seem to be quite popular in France.

French people have good taste in music! :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

When Karen and I met Andrew afterwards we also thought his speaking voice was quite high pitched. And yes, he comes across as a little bit shy. Don't know how to really explain this but he has a lovely aura about him..very 'soft' for want of a better word :blink:. He kind of projects lovely soft vibes.

Ben's so fascinating to watch on stage though!! I had a great view of him, and spent a lot of my time watching him. He didn't speak except for when he was commenting on the infamous beer-throwing-at-Will-incident (which can be heard clearly at the end of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS3GxhMwvbw). But after nearly every song he would walk to the edge of the stage and have a little chat with the roadie who sets up his equipment (aside: he was cute :teehee:) and I couldn't decide if he was having technical problems or just having a chat :naughty:. He smiled a lot anyway and seemed to be drinking beer during the set. Did I mention I love Ben?:mf_rosetinted:

Could it be that Andrew is like that because he's a Southern guy? You know, the pple from the Southern States are relaxed and "soft" on the outside like that and they take their time for things. But they can also get really emotional if something is important to them. I like that a lot if someone's cool on the surface and hot inside.

Really, you love him? It has never ever crossed my mind till now! :mf_rosetinted: I like Ben a lot too! Always have the feeling I could feel at ease with him but not so much with Andrew, so I can't decide who I like more. They are so different, I can't really compare them. But in his own way Ben is as charming as Andrew.

Btw. do MGMT have any live DVDs? I haven't found any so far. :dunno:

And do they have merch at concerts? I would love a MGMT T-shirt!

And if some of you still want to watch that live stream gig from Brussels - here's a link to the thread on the forum where some pple are working on a upload: http://mgmtforum.com/index.php?topic=7579.0

Edited by southeast

French people have good taste in music! :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

surely they do:thumb_yello::teehee:

Btw. do MGMT have any live DVDs? I haven't found any so far. :dunno:

And do they have merch at concerts? I would love a MGMT T-shirt!

And if some of you still want to watch that live stream gig from Brussels - here's a link to the thread on the forum where some pple are working on a upload: http://mgmtforum.com/index.php?topic=7579.0

i love james :wub2:

no, i don't think they have any at the moment. but i heard that they're making one? Dan the other half of Glitter Penis shot vid of fans who went to gigs :wink2:

oh thanks, let me keep an eye on that thread then... you know, i'm always too lazy to visit the forum. blame it on this awesome thread :mf_rosetinted:

by the way, nice new siggie SE :naughty:

I just died watching the live stream. They were amazing....

At the end I cried as they played "I found a whistle". How do they do this? They only play their songs without any show and still it's so emotional...

Very good crowd tonight! Some girl sang on to all the lyrics of The Handshake... It was just brilliant...

Edited by southeast

Missed the livestream tonight, had to be the sociable wife and mother tonight :naughty: but well, just occasionally, there IS more to life than MGMT, or so they tell me.....?!?!

Sounds like it was great though and I believe the whole thing is available to watch again on Spotify for the next week so I'll catch up with it. There's just nothing like watching these things live though... it's why the internet was invented, let's not be in any doubt :naughty:

Glad some of you guys got to see it though!

Edit: SE, your sig is mesmerising! Even the dirty socks! lol

Edited by Gatagordinha
Andrew's hotness

YO! I went to bed at 5am and woke up at 3pm today. Glad that I didn't need to work this morning as usual. But damnit, my biological clock is totally f*ucked up! :aah:

As some of you may already know, the livestream was not working for me... I could only hear 1-2 broken lines from time to time (which were already enought for me to cry out the song title immediately and freak out inside). I was sooooo hopeless and angry and nearly cried :tears: But then my friend who's now studying in London said that he could see it super clear and smooth (because of which he didn't believe it's LIVE at first :naughty:). So we skyped and he showed me the gig through his camera.

The images were ghostly and the sound was not clear at all. I couldn't hear anything like the girls singing along The Handshake. But it's BEYOND AMAZING!!!!! :swoon: Yes, a live show is always different.

I have to say many of the songs did touch me and make me teary-eyed at some point. I don't know why. And this sounds so damn crazy... Hope some of you understand what I mean though. :wub2:

Oh, and is it the camera never panned to Matt???!! 'Cause at most times I couldn't see even his shadow :boxed: It's time for people out there to know that MGMT is actually made up of 5 brilliant, talented, witty, good-looking men instead of just 2!!!!

Missed the livestream tonight, had to be the sociable wife and mother tonight :naughty: but well, just occasionally, there IS more to life than MGMT, or so they tell me.....?!?!

:roftl: Sure, I think it's really important to keep reminding ourselves that life goes on without all sorts of fangirl stuffs, which includes MFC too :teehee: But no, at the moment I just think MGMT IS my life :fangurl:

By the way, I'm watching that ARTE gig now... miss Andrew's long hair it's really soft and nice. When did that show take place? 08 or 09?? The instruments were already putting together very well at that time. But I think Andrew's vocal had definitely improved even more from then on :thumb_yello:

The gig was brilliant.It felt like I was there .Thanks to Spotify for its existence and to James talking to the crowd and being so entertaining :roftl:

I really loved the arrangement of the instruments(James playing the keyboard at the end of 'Kids ') but hey they didn't play Indie Rokkers this time :aah: !

One of my favorite parts !I believe it was from the begging of Brian Eno :teehee:3op0JYP.jpg , Kids sounded unusually beautiful , the crowd were cheerful during The Handshake . For Siberian Breaks I have no words how it sounded last night :wub2: and Congrats gave me the tears.

The gig was brilliant.It felt like I was there .Thanks to Spotify for its existence and to James talking to the crowd and being so entertaining :roftl:

I really loved the arrangement of the instruments(James playing the keyboard at the end of 'Kids ') but hey they didn't play Indie Rokkers this time :aah: !

One of my favorite parts !I believe it was from the begging of Brian Eno :teehee:3op0JYP.jpg , Kids sounded unusually beautiful , the crowd were cheerful during The Handshake . For Siberian Breaks I have no words how it sounded last night :wub2: and Congrats gave me the tears.

+1

The only moment that really saddened me was when Andrew asked: "How many pple have heard of our album "Congratulations"? and as few screamed he was like: Yay! and put his fist in the air. I was really sad, because it felt like he is/they are still unsure that pple come because of that to gigs and like they are still playing only to a "Kids" audience... Grrrrrr, it makes me mad, because this really isn't true and I don't want them to get insecure about their music. But perhaps this is only me overinterpreting again :dunno: