Can anyone help me please???

I do a friday night drama class which I have just finished for the term and someone was talking about a production in the nearest city that I felt would be a great opertunity as I want to be a performer someday (actor, singer etc) and it would be waaaaay better exposure than the teeny smalltown productions here.

But I can't rely on my classmates for news, it's too dependent for me and I was just looking around for an online thing or like a news letter to tell of auditiions and opertunities to work in theater but havn't found anything.

Here where I am, they only do one production about every 6-8 months and also they don't do plays for people like me (age, size, shape...) can anyone give advice on where to find openings or how to get out there?

Merci xx

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yay, another actor!! :wub2:

Look around your town for bulletins, ask people about any drama stuff going on, i'm sure you'll find something.

AND.

Here's some advice my drama teacher gave me:

In order to get "out there" you need to make yourself known; Talk to a lot of people, make friends with everyone---when a director sees that you are friendly with everyone, you're more apt to get cast--they don't want to have to deal with a diva.

Get as much experience in the Arts as you can!!! As much as you may not want to, you should do the little shows, just so you can keep practicing, and be able to have the show down on your resume. Experience is your friend!

And most of all: Don't give up! If you keep on trying, they'll see you are persistant and willing to work and that will definately help you.

Hopefully you gained something from all my rambling. :naughty:

xx

Hilary

Oh yay, another actor!! :wub2:

Look around your town for bulletins, ask people about any drama stuff going on, i'm sure you'll find something.

AND.

Here's some advice my drama teacher gave me:

In order to get "out there" you need to make yourself known; Talk to a lot of people, make friends with everyone---when a director sees that you are friendly with everyone, you're more apt to get cast--they don't want to have to deal with a diva.

Get as much experience in the Arts as you can!!! As much as you may not want to, you should do the little shows, just so you can keep practicing, and be able to have the show down on your resume. Experience is your friend!

And most of all: Don't give up! If you keep on trying, they'll see you are persistant and willing to work and that will definately help you.

Hopefully you gained something from all my rambling. :naughty:

xx

Hilary

Well that was really helpful Hilary!

Thanks for that ;)

I have tried out for everything in this town but unfortunately they're quite discriminant of people with imparements and they don't work with young people.

I'm going to get back into drama class in school next year.

I gave up after yester-year because "Performing arts" was a mix of dance and drama and I got the best mark (an A) for drama and the second worst mark (a C because I did actually try somewhat) but it's split into the two elements next year.

It's just hard having come from a big city with so much work and offer and then now I feel like I've fallen to the lowest being in what I and friends colourfully refer to as "The mass resthome" so I plan to leave here ASAP and get back to a city then eventually get out of the country.

I am a friendly person but I identify a lot with Mika in the way that he said that when he was in Paris he was the colourful boy and very special and everyone loved him then moved to London and then nobody quite got him.

Paraparaumu is my London ;)

What sort of acting do you do?

I'm into musical theater, burlesque, circus stuff, classic and tragity.

Do you have a favourite forte? Like a theme?

And how much experience do you have?

Do you write plays and scripts?

I do :P